January 4th 1828
A grand concert, given at Wells Theatre, was attended by Earl Rosebery, Lord and Lady Bury, Lord Dalmeney, Viscountess Andover, Admiral Digby, Lady H. Primrose, the Hon. Misses Anson, the Hon. B. Primrose, &c. The programme opened with Haydn’s “Surprise Sinfonia,” and the _artistes_ engaged included M. Venna, Master Sporle, Madame Baur, and Mr. Barron. “Gentlemen amateurs” sang glees, and at the close of the concert a ball took place, at which 200 were present.
January 18th 1828
A resurrection-man was shot in Bacton churchyard by a party of grave watchers. He was in the act of disinterring the body of one James Howlett, who was accidentally killed a few days previously. The resurrectionist, although badly wounded, effected his escape in the darkness.
January 23rd 1828
Norwich Theatre opened for the season with Mr. Smith as manager and lessee.
January 24th 1828
Died, Mr. Martin Fountain, who was Sheriff of Norwich in 1812.
January 26th 1828
Atkins’ Menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Hill, Norwich.
January 31st 1828
Lord William Bentinck addressed a circular letter to his constituents at Lynn, announcing his resignation as one of the members for the borough, in consequence of his appointment as Governor-General of India.
February 4th 1828
Lord George Bentinck was elected without opposition a member for King’s Lynn. “No colours were worn, agreeable to the regulations of Lord John Russell’s most sapient Act, and for which the ribbon-makers must feel highly indebted to him in depriving them of a source of consumption for an important branch of British manufacture of no inconsiderable extent.”
February 5th 1828
At a meeting of the Norwich Court of Guardians, a report was adopted in favour of altering the mulcts of the assessable property in each of the parishes and hamlets of the city. In the parishes the old valuation was £61,302; the new, £89,080; increase, £27,778—45 per cent. In the hamlets the old valuation was £19,722; the new, £21,487; increase, £1,765—about 9 per cent. At the vestry meetings in several parishes the new assessment was rejected—(1) on the ground of increased local and public burdens to which the citizens would be exposed by increased rent on such valuation; and (2) because of the disproportion of the assessment of the hamlets as compared with the assessment of the city at large. At a meeting of the Guardians on April 1st, a resolution was adopted declaring the mulct to be unequal, and advising that steps be taken to place it upon a fair and equitable basis.
February 8th 1828
A “trial of speed” took place between the Westacre and Melton Constable hounds. “A noble stag stood before the hounds an hour and ten minutes, but from the numerous field, amounting at least to 400, the greater part of whom were shamefully riding the roads and heading the stag at every point, the sport was not brilliant. Through the greater part of the day the Westacre hounds took the lead, carried the best head, and did all the work; but from the jockeyship of Sir Jacob Astley’s huntsman in continually lifting his hounds, and numerous horsemen pressing on them in the lanes and woods, so completely frightened the Westacre hounds, which are more timid and less accustomed to such crowds than the Melton, that most of them were thrown out and could not again recover their ground.” The match took place in the neighbourhood of East Dereham.
February 12th 1828
In the Court of King’s Bench, Sir James Scarlett moved for a rule to show cause why a _quo warranto_ information should not be filed against Mr. Angell, of Norwich, for exercising the office of alderman without being properly elected thereto. “A very ancient custom,” he said, “prevailed at Norwich on the election of aldermen, which he was sure would not, from its antiquity, receive their lordships’ sanction. It was called the cooping of voters, and consisted of taking the voters by force in a body, bribing them, giving them drink, and keeping them locked up until they consented to vote for the party on whose side they had been taken.” It was alleged that several of the supporters of Mr. Angell’s opponent (Mr. Marshall) were waylaid, carried away by force in a coach, put on board a boat on the broads, and had persons placed over them as guards. If these persons had had their liberty, Mr. Marshall, it was contended, would have been elected. Lord Tenterden granted a rule to show cause. It was abandoned, however, on April 28th, and “the bells of St. Peter rang a triumphant peal on the result being known.”
February 13th 1828
A squadron of the 6th Dragoons arrived at Norwich Barracks, to replace the depôt of the 12th Lancers.
February 23rd 1828
A man named Bailey did penance in the chancel of Yarmouth parish church for applying an opprobrious epithet to a Mrs. Jenner. “It being a very great novelty, there was a large assemblage of persons to witness the performance of the ceremony and to hear Bailey repeat his recantations, which continued for some time, but he did _not_, as generally supposed, stand in a white sheet.”
March 5th 1828
The election of a County Coroner took place at Norwich, consequent upon the resignation of Mr. C. Bringloe. Mr. E. Press, of Hingham, the successful candidate, polled 1,073 votes, as against 766 obtained by his opponent, Mr. Henry Hobart, Norwich.
March 17th 1828
Died at his house in Surrey Street, Norwich, aged 68, Sir James Edward Smith, M.D., F.R.S., President of the Linnæan Society. He was born in Norwich December 2nd, 1759, proceeded to Edinburgh University in 1780, and completed his medical studies in London. In 1792 he had the honour of instructing her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Princesses in botany at Windsor. He married, in 1796, a daughter of Mr. Robert Reeve, of Lowestoft, and in 1810 received the distinction of knighthood. He was the author of “English Botany,” and other works.
March 18th 1828
Mr. Macready appeared at Norwich Theatre in the part of Virginius. On subsequent evenings he performed the characters of Macbeth and William Tell.
March 22nd 1828
“Died at Canton, in China, by falling overboard, Henry, son of Mr. Alderman Thurtell, of Norwich, master-at-arms of the Atlas Indiaman.”
March 22nd 1828
“Died at Yarmouth, Mr. David Service, aged 52, the well-known author of the ‘Caledonian Herd-boy’ and many other poetical productions of considerable merit.”
March 24th 1828
The ward elections commenced at Norwich on this date. “Five shillings a man had been given on each side from the commencement; but about eleven o’clock a placard was put out from the window of the ‘Blue and White’ (the Reformers’) room, bearing the words, ‘The Blues pay gold.’ This alteration in the market was followed, about an hour afterwards, by a similar declaration from the ‘Orange and Purples.’ From this moment stock looked up; the price for the freemen altered from five shillings to half a sovereign, and a whole sovereign, and so on to sums of which we are not prepared to limit the extent. A whole club, consisting of 20 members, calling themselves ‘the Independent Club,’ was purchased in the lump by one of the ‘Blue and White’ candidates. The price first demanded was 5 guineas a man, but others allow they were knocked down at the price of 50 gs.”
April 2nd 1828
Died, aged 106, Thomas Scrape. “He was the father of Mrs. Lovell, of the Lobster Inn, St. John Maddermerket, Norwich, and was born at Stalham in 1722, in the 9th year of the reign of George I. He had been often heard to speak of remembering as a child the illuminations on the occasion of the accession of George II. At the age of 105 this extraordinary old man presided at a large convivial party at his residence. His pipe was his constant companion, and he was often to be seen smoking and enjoying it at his daughter’s house, where his latter days were rendered comfortable.”
April 3rd 1828
Tombland Fair, Norwich, was ushered in by a severe snowstorm. “The Banisters, the Samwells, the Chipperfields, the Adamses, and a host of other ornaments of the vagrant stage for daylight gauds and the practical wit of buffoons displayed themselves in imposing array.” The only “rational” exhibition at the fair was Atkins’ Menagerie.
April 5th 1828
A vessel, named the Lord William Bentinck, was launched from the shipyard of Mr. Frederick Preston, at Yarmouth. She was nearly 500 tons burden, and the largest ship, with one exception, ever built at the port.
April 7th 1828
Ching Lau Lauro, “the celebrated posture master and buffo from Drury Lane,” appeared at Norwich Theatre. On the 10th he performed in a harlequinade, entitled, “The Man in the Moon.” “No viler tissue of nonsensical stuff could be foisted on the patience of an insulted audience. It had more revolting coarseness, and infinitely less ingenuity than ever characterised the worst puppet shows’ clumsiest performers. ‘Harlequin in the Shades’ descended to the lowest vault of the Capulets, amidst universal hisses which such execrable trash deservedly called forth, in spite of Ching Lau Lauro swallowing his own head.”
April 19th 1828
The Norfolk County Cricket Club announced the completion of a new cricket ground at East Dereham, described as one of the best in the provinces.
April 25th 1828
A remarkable whirlwind occurred at Gresham. “It came suddenly as in a moment from the south-west, accompanied by a roar like thunder, and taking a north-easterly direction towards Cromer, spent itself at sea. The extreme force of the whirlwind lasted scarcely three minutes, but in that time it completely ruined one William Watts, by rending the sails and stocks from his mill, lifting the whole fabric from off the post, and crushing the beams and inside works to pieces, together with the roof and walls of the round-house.”
April 27th 1828
Died at his house, Vauxhall, Lambeth, Mr. Thomas H. Hull, aged 74, “a gentleman well-known in Norwich and Norfolk for a great number of years, and where many of his beautifully-executed pictures remain as specimens of his superior talent in the miniature department of portrait painting.”
May 1st 1828
Mr. Angell and Mr. Patteson were nominated for the Mayoralty of Norwich. Mr. W. Wilde nominated Mr. Alderman Thurtell, the senior alderman below the chair; and Mr. Alderman Yallop was also proposed. A poll was demanded, and the result was declared as follows: Thurtell, 1,144; Yallop, 1,148; Angell, 1,042; Patteson, 979. Application was made by Messrs. Angell and Patteson for the reopening of the books on the following morning, when the voting was: Thurtell, 1,210; Yallop, 1,212; Angell, 1,097; Patteson, 1,020. The Court of Aldermen subsequently elected Mr. Thurtell.
May 5th 1828
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Finch), at which resolutions were passed affirming that it was objectionable to continue bounties on the export of sugar and prohibitory duties on the produce of Colonial free labour, by which slavery was supported at the expense of the British public. It was also decided to petition Parliament to repeal such bounties and duties, and to take measures to ensure the immediate alleviation and the ultimate extinction of British Colonial slavery. The petition, which was signed by 10,125 persons, measured 150 feet in length, and was presented in the House of Commons by Mr. William Smith.
May 6th 1828
A new theatre was opened at North Walsham by Mr. Fisher, with the performance of the comic opera, “Sweethearts and Wives,” and the musical farce of “The Turnpike Gate.”
May 8th 1828
Died at Tittleshall, Mr. Thomas Riches, farmer, aged 69. “In his early life he for many years, by being pressed from Lynn, served his country at sea, and was in many distinguished actions. He was at Gibraltar, at the Chesapeak with Hood, in the same ship with our present Lord High Admiral, then a boy; and was in the Formidable (flagship) with Sir George, afterwards Lord Rodney, in the memorable battle of 1782, when M. De Grasse was taken. On his discharge and his return to his native county, he embraced farming for a livelihood, and always retained many of the peculiarities and superstitions of a sailor’s life.”
May 27th 1828
The first seaborne vessel from London to Norwich port direct, the Thames steam packet, Capt. John Morley, arrived at Carrow Bridge. She was of 120 tons burden, 82 feet in length, and handsomely fitted up for the accommodation of passengers. The duration of her voyage was 28 hours.
May 27th 1828
The Norwich Corporation decided to rebuild Fye Bridge of iron, in accordance with the plans of Mr. Stone. The foundation-stone of the new bridge was laid by the Mayor (Mr. Thurtell) on June 2nd, 1829.
June 9th 1828
Mr. Kean, jun., made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre in the character of Romeo. During his engagement he appeared also as Jaffier (“Venice Preserved”) and Felix (“Hunter of the Alps”). “It is difficult, indeed, to imagine,” says the critic, “what besides an irresistible _penchant_ for the stage and an hereditary attachment for the most elevated dramatic work, could have induced this gentleman to choose the profession of a tragedian. Of a stature rather below the middle size, and with a countenance that forms no index of the heroic mind, the younger Kean seems studious of displaying all those peculiarities of attitude, action, and intonation which we have been accustomed to regard rather as defects than as excellencies in his justly celebrated father. The genius of the elder Kean does not shine forth in his son.”
June 9th 1828
A prize-fight took place between Warren and Cocks, light weights, for £50 a side. The gathering, which was at Mattishall, was attended by many of the principal gentry in the county, and by several members of the London ring, including Phil Sampson (conqueror of Big Brown), Dick Curtis, Tom Oliver, Frank Redmond, Ned Stockman, and Frosty-Faced Fogo, “the Poet Laureate of the Ring.” The combatants met in a meadow belonging to Mr. Petchell, but a magistrate interfered, and a move was made to Elsing Common, where the fight was brought off. Cocks was attended by Ned Painter and Ben Gale, and Warren by Curtis and Redmond. Forty-one rounds were fought in 56 minutes. Cocks, who won, threw his man 23 times in the first 25 rounds.
June 17th 1828
Guild Day was celebrated in Norwich. Mr. Alderman Thurtell, on being sworn in as Mayor, stated that he stood in rotation for the office in 1818, and to his utter astonishment the late Mr. Back was put in nomination and elected. “I thank God,” he added, “I have had nerve enough to break all connection with a set of men who have acted with so much duplicity and injustice towards me.” The Guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall was attended by 460 guests.
June 24th 1828
Died, Captain John Murray Browne, of the 75th Regiment, aged 36, only son of the Rev. M. Browne, Minor Canon of Norwich Cathedral, and grandson of Dr. John Murray. Capt. Browne, who was drowned while fishing on a Lake near Mullingar, had been in the Army from his youth, and served throughout the Peninsular War. He was the author of a work entitled, “The State of Portugal, by an eyewitness.”
June 26th 1828
Died at Hingham, suddenly, Charles Alexander, aged 23, “an excellent cricketer, and the fastest length bowler in the county.”
July 4th 1828
A severe storm occurred in the Dereham, Fakenham, and Cromer districts. Unsettled weather prevailed until the 13th, when the lower parts of Norwich and the meadows and marshes above and below the city were flooded. Much meadow hay was swept away, and the grain crops beaten down.
July 8th 1828
Twenty-three mackerel luggers contested for a subscription purse of £100, at Yarmouth. The race, which took place in the Roads, was won by the Brothers (Capt. John Ayres), owned by Messrs. R. and B. Fenn.
July 9th 1828
An inter-county cricket match, Norfolk _v._ Lincolnshire, was commenced at East Dereham. Scores: Lincoln, 110; Norfolk, 74-30. At the conclusion of the first day’s play, a dinner, presided over by Lord Suffield, and attended by eighty-six ladies and gentlemen, was given at the Assembly Rooms; and on the 10th a grand ball took place in the evening.
July 12th 1828
The following statement was published of the number of benefits, with the gross receipts, at Norwich Theatre during the period of 22 years, ending 1828:— Number of benefits. Gross receipts. 1807 15 £1090 1808 17 1870 1809 18 1540 1810 20 1610 1811 21 1890 1812 23 2140 1813 23 1970 1814 25 1940 1815 23 1890 1816 19 1250 1817 15 1050 1818 14 1360 1819 14 1320 1820 17 1410 1821 20 1670 1822 21 1620 1823 22 1720 1824 23 1690 1825 22 1900 1826 25 1760 1827 21 1450 1828 23 1430 441 £85070
July 16th 1828
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., gave notice that at the ensuing October Sessions he would move “that reporters for the newspapers be admitted into the Grand Jury Chamber when the magistrates assemble there at Quarter Sessions for the despatch of the business of the county.” The motion was discussed on October 17th, when, after three hours’ debate, the Court divided, with the following result: For the motion, 46; against, 45.
July 22nd 1828
Died at Stalham, aged 103, Isabella Perowne.
July 25th 1828
A Jews’ Synagogue was opened in the parish of St. George, Tombland, Norwich.
July 26th 1828
The announcement was made that the Norwich Cricket Club had “engrafted an archery branch” on their own “excellent establishment.” The members of the Archery Club were permitted the use of the Norwich Cricket Ground on certain days.
August 4th 1828
Died at the Deanery, in his 83rd year, the Very Rev. James Turner, D.D., F.S.A., Dean of Norwich, Master of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge, and rector of Sudbourne and Orford, Suffolk. He was installed Dean of Norwich on June 24th, 1790. His remains were interred in the Cathedral on August 12th. Dean Turner was succeeded by the Hon. and Rev. George Pellew, Prebendary of Canterbury and of York, and third son of Lord Viscount Exmouth. Dean Pellew was installed on December 13th.
August 11th 1828
A libel action, Maitland _v._ Kinnebrook, was tried at the Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Baron Alexander. The plaintiff was an attorney living at North Walsham, and the defendant one of the proprietors of the “Norwich Mercury.” The libel, which the defendant admitted, was contained in a letter published in the “Mercury.” The plaintiff had provoked and carried on a newspaper correspondence, and because the defendant published the replies of adversaries of the plaintiff’s own creation, the plaintiff sued him for damages, which the jury assessed at one farthing.
August 11th 1828
Exchange Street, Norwich, was first opened to the public. There was no communication, however, with St. Andrew’s Street, and it was not until April, 1829, that operations were commenced for the removal of the old buildings at the north end of the new thoroughfare. That portion of the street was opened to the public on May 21st, 1832; and public business was for the first time transacted in the Post Office erected there, on June 25th, 1832.
August 11th 1828
The members of the Norfolk and Suffolk Institution, the new title by which the Norwich Society of Artists established in 1805 was known, celebrated the opening of their new gallery in Exchange Street by dining at the Norfolk Hotel, under the presidency of Mr. J. B. Crome, with Mr. Stark in the vice-chair. The first exhibition in the new gallery was opened on the 13th, and was visited in state by the Mayor, Sheriffs, and Aldermen.
August 26th 1828
Mr. George Grout was elected freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich.
September 1st 1828
Mr. William Martin, a native of Norwich, and the painter of the two large pictures in St. Andrew’s Hall—“The death of Lady Jane Grey” and “Queen Eleanor, Consort to Edward I.,” was lodging in indigent circumstances at the Trowel and Hammer public-house, St. Stephen’s, whence he issued a circular on this date, asking for subscriptions for two engravings—“Interior of an English Cottage Home” and “Children going to bed.” The Corporation, on February 24th, 1829, voted him a grant of 100 guineas.
September 12th 1828
Died at his seat at Terrington, near Lynn, in his 91st year, Sir Andrew Snape Hamond, Bart., a post-captain in the Royal Navy, formerly Lieutenant-Governor of the Province of Nova Scotia, and subsequently Commodore and Commander-in-Chief in the River Medway. He was many years Comptroller of the Navy, twice member of Parliament for Ipswich, and one of the Brethren of the Trinity House.
September 29th 1828
The ceremony of swearing in the Sheriffs of Norwich was performed at the Guildhall, amid a scene of great disorder. The windows of the lower court had been screwed down, to prevent persons entering by that way before the arrival of the magistrates. The court was crowded, the heat intolerable, and the Mayor (Mr. Thurtell) ordered the windows to be broken. Upon the Sheriffs-elect, Mr. Stevenson and Mr. Grout, presenting themselves, the latter was objected to, on the ground that he was not a freeman; and Mr. Stevenson declined to serve unless he received legal indemnity from his colleague. The Recorder (Mr. Alderson) disposed of the legal difficulty in Mr. Stevenson’s case, but the uproar was so great that an adjournment had to be made to the Aldermen’s Chamber, where the Town Clerk administered the oath to Mr. Grout, notwithstanding a protest by Col. Harvey. At a meeting of the Common Council, on October 2nd, a notice signed by eight of the “Purple and Orange” Aldermen was read, intimating that any act done by the Council would not be valid, as one of the Sheriffs was improperly elected. They therefore declined to attend the meeting. The Mayor complained that he was being set at defiance, and threatened to appeal to a higher power. On November 8th a motion was made in the Court of King’s Bench, to show cause why an information in the nature of a _quo warranto_ should not be filed against Mr. Grout, to show by what authority he exercised the office of Sheriff; the Court granted a rule _nisi_. On February 24th the Corporation unanimously conferred on Mr. Grout the freedom of the city. The case, after being several times before the Court, was finally disposed of on June 28th, 1830, when Mr. Justice Bailey delivered judgment, and said that the Court were of opinion that it was essential to the validity of election to the office of Sheriff that the individual chosen should be a freeman. Judgment of ouster was therefore entered. Retaliatory proceedings were taken in the Court of King’s Bench by the other political party against Mr. Alderman Patteson for holding the office of Treasurer of the city, and against Mr. Alderman T. S. Day, for acting as Corn Inspector. A rule _nisi_ was obtained against Mr. Patteson on May 30th, 1829, and was made absolute on July 4th, after that gentleman had resigned the treasurership.
September 29th 1828
The 6th Inniskilling Dragoons marched from Norwich for Chesterfield and Manchester.
October 6th 1828
A troop of the 12th Lancers arrived at Norwich, from Canterbury.
October 7th 1828
Died, aged 72, at New York, Mr. John B. Murray, eldest son of Dr. John Murray.
October 9th 1828
Died, aged 74, at his residence, in Carlow, Major John Beevor, formerly of the 9th Dragoons, and for 30 years inspecting-officer of Yeomanry Cavalry in the districts of Waterford and Wexford. He was second son of Sir Thomas Beevor, of Hethel.
October 11th 1828
The Norwich Corn Exchange, “one of the finest edifices of its kind in Europe,” was opened to the public. “Mr. Riches, merchant, of Norwich, bought of Mr. Riches, of Thorpe, the first sample of corn (barley) in the new building, for which he gave 18s. 6d. per coomb.” A commemorative dinner was held in the Exchange on November 28th, at which Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., presided, supported by the High Sheriff (Sir W. B. ffolkes), Lord Lyndock, Lord Neville, Lord Suffield, Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, M.P., and other prominent personages.
October 18th 1828
“The proprietors of the Norwich Cloth Establishment have taken a contract for supplying the two battalions of Portuguese troops lately formed at Plymouth out of the refugees from that distracted country with jackets and trousers. These troops are intended to accompany the young Queen of Portugal, whither she will shortly proceed to claim the Crown.”
October 25th 1828
“The portrait of Mr. Alderman Francis, painted by Lane, was hung in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, this week.”
October 25th 1828
“Died lately at Wimbotsham, near Downham Market, aged 52, Mr. William Henry Ware, many years composer of music, and director of the orchestra at Covent Garden Theatre, and one of the masters of the Royal Academy, Woolwich.”
October 29th 1828
Died, at his son’s house, in Southampton Street, Bloomsbury, aged 79, Mr. Luke Hansard, many years printer of the Journals, private Bills, &c., of the House of Commons. “He was born at Watton, served his apprenticeship with Mr. White, printer, of Norwich, was afterwards an assistant of the late Mr. John Crouse, who originally established the NORFOLK CHRONICLE in the year 1761, and had ever since been a much attached and valued friend of all his successors.”
November 3rd 1828
The following curious incident was recorded as having taken place at Tunstead on this date. A Chelsea pensioner was about to be married to a widow, and “early in the morning the parties, accompanied by three witnesses, repaired to the cross-ways in the road a short distance from the village, where the intended bride crossed the road _in puris naturalibus_, and was received on the opposite side by the bridegroom, who entertains the idea that by the due performance of this ceremony he is discharged from all liability of paying the debts of the former husband.”
November 4th 1828
Lord Neville, rector of Berghapton, sent a letter to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, denying a statement made by Mr. Cobbett, at a dinner at Maidstone, that he (Lord Neville) was “rector of a parish in Norfolk and at the same time enjoyed half-pay as a captain of Dragoons.” His lordship wrote: “I admit being rector of a parish in Norfolk, but I assure you upon my word that a considerable time before I took orders I resigned my commission, and consequently ceased from that time to enjoy either half or full pay.”
November 9th 1828
The King’s letter, “authorising collections to be made for the building and enlarging of churches and chapels (instead of by briefs, as formerly),” was read in the churches in the city and county.
November 15th 1828
A hamper conveyed by Messrs. Marsh and Swan’s London van from King’s Lynn, was found to contain the dead body of a young woman, supposed to have been taken from a grave at Lynn.
November 15th 1828
“Mr. Suckling’s beautiful yacht, the Marmion, has lately arrived at Buckenham Ferry, to be laid up for the winter. In December last she was laid down and built upon his estate at Woodton, under his immediate plans and directions, and in May last dragged from thence upon a sledge to the water’s edge at Carrow Bridge, to the surprise of the natives, who assembled in great number. She dropped down the river and boldly cleared out to sea, on her passage to London, which voyage, though blowing very fresh, she performed much to the satisfaction of those on board. She afterwards went to Calais, made two journeys to Holland, and sailed many times up the canals.”
November 29th 1828
Mr. B. H. Norgate was elected assistant-surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in the room of Mr. Henry Carter, previously elected surgeon, on the resignation of Mr. Martineau.
November 29th 1828
Died at his house in St. Giles’ Street, Norwich, aged 72, Mr. John Hammond Cole, an Alderman of the Great Ward of Mancroft. He was Sheriff in 1797; Mayor in 1811; Receiver of Stamp Duties, Treasurer of the Boys’ and Girls’ Hospital, and of the Norwich Dispensary, and Treasurer and Secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Savings Bank.
December 1st 1828
Died at New York, aged 64, Mr. James Valentine Murray, third son of Dr. John Murray, of Norwich.
December 4th 1828
The Norwich Brunswick Constitutional Club, “for preserving the integrity of the Protestant Constitution, and upholding the principles which placed the House of Brunswick upon the Throne of these realms,” was formed at a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel.
December 6th 1828
Died, aged 48 years, Capt. Sir William Hoste, Bart, R.N., K.C.B., eldest son of the Rev. Dixon Hoste, of Godwick Hall. “He was among the many brave youths from this county on board the Admiral’s flagship, the Vanguard, at the memorable battle of the Nile.”
December 8th 1828
Master W. R. Grossmith, “the celebrated young Roscius, 9½ years old,” gave, in the Concert Room, St. George’s, Norwich, his entertainment, “consisting of rapid transitions of dress and characters.”
December 19th 1828
Died at Yarmouth, aged 79, Mr. John Watson, Mayor of that borough in 1785. In 1799 he was elected Town Clerk, and resigned the office in 1822.
December 20th 1828
“Died, last week, at Lakenham, aged 45, Mr. Roger Jean, an eminent miniature painter, leaving a wife and seven children to lament his loss. Although Mr. Jean possessed very superior abilities as a miniature painter, owing to his long-continued illness his latter days were embittered by most distressing privations, and his wife, a well-educated woman, is left in very destitute circumstances.”
December 24th 1828
The weather on Christmas Eve was described as “very close and warm.” The whole month was remarkable for its unusual mildness.
December 26th 1828
Mons. Batty opened his Circus at the Pantheon, Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich.
December 30th 1828
A “grand match of cocks” was fought at the New Inn, Aylsham, between gentlemen of that town and of North Walsham. The sport was continued on the 31st. North Walsham won 9 battles out of 12. The winning cocks were “fed” by Stafford, of Norwich.