January 6th 1827
Mons. Louis, a native of Lorraine, 26 years of age, seven feet six inches in height, was exhibited at the Angel Inn, Norwich.
January 7th 1827
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of H.R.H. the Duke of York, and the great bell of St. Peter Mancroft, and the bells of other churches in the city, were tolled for two hours. On Saturday, the 13th, the day of the funeral, “all the shops in Norwich were kept as closely shut as on the Sabbath”; the Mayor and Corporation attended service at the Cathedral; and funeral sermons were preached at many of the parish churches and city chapels.
January 11th 1827
A meeting of the Norfolk Cricket Club was held at Norwich, when rules were adopted. It was agreed to play four matches during the year, one on each of the four grounds to be established by the club in the neighbourhood of Norwich, Yarmouth, Swaffham, and Gunton. Rule 20 provided that members, clergymen excepted, should wear at the annual meetings the uniform dress—“a dark blue coat with buttons lettered ‘N.C.C.,’ with white waistcoat, &c.” Mr. Philip Gurdon, of Letton, was elected treasurer.
January 12th 1827
A bull driven along St. Martin’s Street, Norwich, entered the Bess of Bedlam public-house, and rushing upstairs made its way into a room where a musical party was held. The animal was dislodged with great difficulty.
January 12th 1827
At a meeting of the county magistrates the question of the conduct of business was discussed. Several magistrates resisted the idea that the public had a right to claim admission, and it was agreed that the proceedings be read in the lower court at the close of each meeting, and “such of them as appeared advisable be advertised in the newspapers.”
January 13th 1827
Very severe weather was experienced in Norfolk. The thermometer on this date registered 14 degrees below freezing point. A heavy fall of snow on the 15th impeded coach traffic in the neighbourhood of Swaffham. “Many hundreds of rabbits perished in the Thetford and Brandon districts through being out in search of food and unable to find their burrows again.”
January 26th 1827
A severe storm occurred on the Norfolk coast. Four vessels drove from their anchors and stranded on Yarmouth beach; and a brig was wrecked on Happisburgh sands. The whole of her crew perished.
January 29th 1827
On November 28th, 1826, three candidates were nominated for the office of City Chamberlain at Norwich, of whom Mr. James Goodwin had the majority in the Court of Aldermen and Mr. Beckwith in the Common Council. The assembly broke up without electing the Chamberlain. On January 29th a special meeting of the Corporation was held in consequence of the Mayor having received notice that a rule of the Court of King’s Bench would be applied for requiring them to shew cause why a writ of _mandamus_ should not issue commanding them to admit and swear Mr. Goodwin into the office of Chamberlain and other offices. It was ordered that cause be shown. On February 10th the Court of King’s Bench discharged the rule _nisi_. At a special meeting of the Corporation on March 9th, the Town Clerk reported on the result of the motion, and Mr. A. A. H. Beckwith was then unanimously elected Chamberlain, and Mr. John Skipper Speaker of the Common Council, in place of Mr. Beckwith. A new Council was elected in April, and at a special assembly on May 16th, Mr. Beckwith was requested to leave the room. The Speaker, Mr. J. S. Parkinson (who had been elected in place of Mr. Skipper), declined to recognise Mr. Beckwith as Chamberlain. Mr. Goodwin was then proposed, and elected to the office. At a Council meeting on June 7th, Mr. Beckwith took his seat as Chamberlain, and was asked to retire; he refused, and the beadle was called in. Mr. Beckwith, addressing that officer, said, “I give you notice, if you lay your hands on me you do so at your peril.” One of the members remarked that if the beadle did not turn him out they would. Mr. Beckwith was then led out by the beadle, and the incident terminated.
February 2nd 1827
A fine specimen of the sea eagle (_falco ossifragus_) was shot near Fritton Decoy. It measured from tip to tip of its wings seven feet nine inches, and was presented to the Norwich Museum.
February 5th 1827
Four thousand weavers met at Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, and passed resolutions protesting against the action of certain manufacturers in reducing the rate of wages without consulting other employers, and requesting the Mayor to summon a meeting of the masters to shew cause why the reduction had been made. On the 12th a procession of 600 operatives, headed by a man carrying a loaf of bread draped in black crape, passed through the streets of the city. A petition to Parliament was prepared, in favour of an Act to regulate the price of labour. The petition was presented in the House of Commons on May 30th, by Mr. William Smith.
February 12th 1827
The last stage of the agitation for making Norwich a port was commenced on this date, when Major Peel presented a petition in the House of Commons from the Mayor, Aldermen, and inhabitants of Norwich in favour of the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Bill. The Bill having been read a second time, entered the Committee stage on February 21st, when Mr. Alderson opened the case on behalf of the promoters; the examination of their witnesses concluded on Feb. 27th. The case for the opposition was commenced on the same day, and the evidence concluded on March 7th. In the division on the question “that the preamble of this Bill is proved,” there were 25 ayes and 5 noes. Peals were rung on the church bells at Norwich when intelligence was received, on March 8th, that the Bill had passed through Committee, and Mr. Crisp Brown, on his return from London, on the 9th, was met at St. Stephen’s Gates by a large number of citizens, who, headed by a band of music, drew his carriage to his residence in King Street. On March 11th the Bill was reported to the House, and on the 22nd it was read a third time and passed. On the same evening it was read a first time in the House of Lords; it passed its second reading on March 26th, and was referred to Committee, who took evidence on May 7th, and on the 22nd it was read a third time and carried without opposition. The news of the final success of the measure was received in Norwich with great rejoicing. On the 23rd a procession was organized to meet the promoters on their arrival from town. The Times coach, by which they travelled, was met at Harford Bridges, and at St. Stephen’s Gates the horses were removed from the vehicle, which was dragged in triumph through the city, preceded by bands of music and by men carrying models of ships and naval emblems. At night a bonfire was lighted in the centre of the Market Place, and was fed with wooden spouts, palings, and watch-boxes. Some of the ringleaders were lodged in clink, but their comrades rescued them and threw the clink doors upon the bonfire. Sheep were roasted in Ber Street and Bishop Street. The Bill received the Royal assent on May 28th. The first meeting of the proprietors of the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Company was held at the Guildhall, on July 3rd, when Col. Harvey presided. Mr. Edmund Newton was appointed clerk, Mr. Cubitt engineer, and Messrs. Harvey and Hudson treasurers. The work of excavation was begun in the Lowestoft section on September 4th, when Mr. Crisp Brown dug the first spadeful of earth, and a dinner and aquatic sports were held to celebrate the event.
February 17th 1827
Died at Wymondham, aged 69, Mr. Thomas Troughton, who was Sheriff of Norwich in 1810.
February 19th 1827
Mr. William Smith, in the House of Commons, presented a petition from the inhabitants praying leave to bring in a Bill to regulate the state of the poor in Norwich. The Norwich Court of Guardians Amendment Bill was brought in and read a first time on March 1st. On March 24th it was stated that the promoters of the measure had effected a compromise with the Court of Guardians as to the proportion of representation; persons assessed £10 and upwards were to have two votes, and those above £5 one vote; the Recorder, Steward, and Aldermen not to be Guardians; the hamlets not to be assessed on stock, but the proportion of assessment between them and the city to be five-sixths—_i.e._, when the city was assessed 1s. the hamlets were to be assessed 10d. The Bill went through Committee of the House on the 26th, and was reported on the 28th. It was read a first and second time in the House of Lords in April, finally passed on May 4th, and received the Royal assent on May 28th. The first election under the new Act took place on June 11th, and the first meeting of the new Court was held on June 20th, when Mr. Anthony Hudson was elected Governor, and Mr. Joseph Geldart Deputy-Governor.
February 19th 1827
The _Crim. Con._ case, Sir Jacob Astley, Bart., _v._ Capt. Garth, was tried in the Court of Common Pleas, when a verdict was given for the plaintiff, damages one shilling.
February 20th 1827
A cricket match was played on the ice at Diss Mere. It commenced at 10 a.m., and was well contested until dusk, in the presence of about 1,500 spectators.
February 24th 1827
“Died last week, at Kenninghall, aged 105, Mrs. Sarah Barham.”
February 24th 1827
“Died at Yarmouth Mr. Nathan Fenn, in his 101st year.”
February 24th 1827
A detachment of the 12th (Prince of Wales’) Royal Lancers marched into Norwich Barracks from Hounslow, under the command of Capt. Cunnyngham.
February 25th 1827
Died at Norwich, aged 101, Thomas Greenfield, gardener.
February 26th 1827
Major Peel presented in the House of Commons a petition from the Chancellor and Prebendaries of Norwich Cathedral, and from the Archdeacon and clergy of Norfolk, against further concessions to the claims of Roman Catholics.
March 3rd 1827
Died at Costessey Hall, the Rev. Lawrence Strongitharm, aged 31, formerly of the Roman Catholic church, St. John Maddermarket, Norwich. “To great learning and a highly gifted mind, to the most elegant and refined manners, and to the most powerful and commanding eloquence he added a most fervent and unaffected piety and undying zeal for the furtherance of religion.” His remains were interred on the 9th, before the altar in the chapel of St. John Maddermarket.
March 8th 1827
“Two celebrated amateurs of fashion,” the Hon. W. Berkeley and the other “a military man,” appeared in the parts of Othello and Roderigo at Norwich Theatre. They afterwards appeared as Romeo and Mercutio, and in other characters.
March 9th 1827
Died Adam Burrell, many years carrier between Flitcham and Lynn. “The deceased was rather an eccentric character, and often designated as ‘Adam Slow,’ as he usually occupied six or seven hours going from Flitcham to Lynn, a distance of about 10 miles. He was, however, a very honest and inoffensive man.”
March 10th 1827
Particulars were published on this date of the Norfolk and Norwich Joint Stock Banking Company, of which Mr. Samuel Bignold was managing director. The capital was advertised as £200,000, and the bank had branches at Lynn, Swaffham, Dereham, Foulsham, and Harling.
March 17th 1827
[Advt.] “Marshland Shales. The well-known trotting stallion, Marshland Shales, will be sold by auction on Tombland Fair-day, unless previously disposed of by private contract. This is the horse which on August 3rd, 1810, trotted 17 miles in 56 minutes, carrying 12 st. 2 lb., and was then sold by auction for 305 gs. For particulars apply, if by letter post-paid, to Mr. Moneyment, veterinary surgeon, Norwich.”
March 19th 1827
A large portion of the city wall at Richmond Hill Gardens, Norwich, fell into the Bracondale Road, from the effects of a violent gale on the 17th.
March 19th 1827
Died, aged 59, Mr. Edward Dewing, of Guist. He was out hunting with his hounds when he was seized with a fit of apoplexy and dropped from his horse. During a second attack he expired.
March 22nd 1827
Sixty-five prisoners for trial at the Lent Assizes at Thetford were escorted from Norwich Castle to that place by men of the Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry.
March 31st 1827
“Lately died at Wicklewood, Mrs. Mary Spraggs, aged 100.”
March 31st 1827
“Died lately, Mrs. Catherine Mann, aged 102.”
April 1st 1827
A newly-erected malthouse, belonging to Mr. W. Hardy, at Letheringsett, was destroyed by fire. The building was 150 feet by 40 feet, and contained 90 last of malt, a considerable quantity of wool, barley, and empty casks. “The engine from Holt did not arrive until after the roof fell in, the people supposing the alarm of fire to be only an April hoax.”
April 2nd 1827
The annual election of Common Councilmen commenced at Norwich. “For several years ‘cleansing week’ has passed off without any serious contests, and the ‘Purple and Orange’ party has held uninterrupted ascendency in three of the great wards since 1820. All at once, however, the ‘Blue and Whites’ have roused themselves from their inaction, and again entering the field of party warfare, have succeeded in displacing their opponents. It is useless to deny that the week’s proceedings have been marked by undisguised bribery and corruption, and that the object of the triumphant party has mainly been achieved by superior weight of metal—by dint of money.”
April 10th 1827
Died at his residence in London, aged 78, the Marquis of Cholmondeley, of Houghton Hall, Lord Steward of his Majesty’s Household, &c.
April 13th 1827
Died, aged 82, Mr. Daniel Clark, of Norwich. “He was in the commercial establishment of Messrs. Ives for nearly 70 years and was justly esteemed in nautical and musical communities. To the last his song was cheerful and his convivial good humour unabated, and many a head must lie as low as his before the name of ‘Admiral’ Clark will be forgotten, or his memory ceased to be cherished with respect.”
April 14th 1827
The Norwich Cricket Club announced that a lease had been taken of a field at Lakenham, “without Ber Street Gates, and nearly opposite Lakenham Terrace,” and that the ground had been “laid down with fine turf by Mr. Bentley, of Lords.” The secretary of the club was Mr. Henry Hobart, solicitor, of Bethel Street.
April 22nd 1827
Died at Harleston, aged 66, Mr. Robert Paul, formerly of Starston, “well known to agriculturists for several ingenious inventions and for his inquiries into the nature, history, and habitudes of the turnip fly and wireworm.”
May 1st 1827
Four candidates were nominated for the Mayoralty of Norwich, namely, Alderman Peter Finch, who received 918 votes; Alderman Yallop, 867; Alderman J. S. Patteson, 566; and Alderman C. Brown, 565. At the Court of Aldermen on the 3rd Mr. Finch was elected Mayor.
May 3rd 1827
Newspaper reporters were for the first time admitted to the assembly of the Norwich Corporation.
May 9th 1827
Died at Margaretta Farm, Clenchwarton, aged 83, Dr. Charles Browne, for many years physician to the King of Prussia. On his return to England his Majesty conferred upon him the Order of the Red Eagle as a mark of his esteem. Dr. Browne was a man of high literary attainments.
May 24th 1827
The bounds of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, were perambulated. “It gave rise to those scenes of vulgar mirth for which occasions of this kind are used as an excuse for indulging in with impunity. We never remember the ducking system carried to such lengths. The Rev. J. Bowman, in the early stage of the proceedings, was on Hay Hill drenched from head to foot. The pail which a fellow had in his hand (and which had been filled with water from an adjoining pump) being dropped at his feet, he accidentally fell over, but fortunately escaped without any serious injury. The company afterwards met for dinner at the Angel Inn.”
May 29th 1827
The Bishop of Chichester, acting on behalf of the Bishop of Norwich, held a visitation at Lynn and confirmed 1,400 persons at St. Margaret’s church, and 620 at St. Nicholas’ chapel. The number confirmed at Holt was 1,120; at Fakenham, 1,800; at East Dereham, 1,100; and at Hingham, 803.
June 4th 1827
Mr. Bolton, formerly coach proprietor and landlord of the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, was driving between Melton Mowbray and Stamford when his horse ran away and overturned the vehicle. Mr. Bolton received severe injuries, from which he died on the 10th.
June 12th 1827
A serious riot occurred at Norwich. A party of Wymondham weavers, who had damaged looms and destroyed silk to the value of £1,000, at Ashwellthorpe, had been conveyed to Norwich Castle for examination. The witnesses were brought to the city in hackney coaches, escorted by a detachment of the 12th Lancers. The Norwich weavers, who had barricaded the Golden Ball Lane entrance to Castle Meadow with a waggon, and placed a similar obstruction near the Castle Bridge, received the military with a volley of stones. The witnesses were then conveyed by way of Timberhill to Orford Hill, and while a large body of special constables displaced the waggon at the bridge, a second detachment of Lancers came from the Barracks, charged the mob at full gallop, and dispersed them in all directions. An attempted rally was frustrated by a second charge. The Militia staff were under arms on the Castle Hill, and the streets were patrolled by the Norwich light Horse Volunteers. At the Norwich Assizes, on August 11th, several of the rioters were indicted before Mr. Baron Garrow for assaults, and were discharged on entering into their recognisances. David Seeker, Henry Rix, and William Thurston were charged with the capital offence of riotously assembling together to the disturbance of the public peace. Mr. Cooper, for the defence, objected to the wording of the indictment. The words of the King’s proclamation read at the time of the disturbance were “chargeth and commandeth all persons,” &c.; the indictment said “chargeth and command”; and instead of directing the people to “depart to their lawful habitations _or_ to their lawful homes,” the indictment said “_and_ to their lawful homes.” The learned Judge pronounced the objection to be valid, and expressed the hope that the prisoners “would go home sensible of the blessings of Providence in having shielded them that day, and saved them from an ignominious death.” The Ashwellthorpe rioters were bound over in the sum of £50 each.
June 19th 1827
Breakfast _à la fourchette_ with the Mayor-elect (Mr. Peter Finch) and luncheon with the Mayor (Mr. E. T. Booth), prepared the Sheriffs, Aldermen, &c., for the Guild Day proceedings at Norwich. The customary ceremonies were observed at the Guildhall, service was attended at the Cathedral, and 600 guests dined at St Andrew’s Hall.
June 23rd 1827
The Surrey Gardens, Thorpe Road, Norwich, were advertised as a resort “for the reception of respectable families and invalids,” where “pure air, unbounded prospects of land and water, refreshing fruits and odoriferous flowers” could be obtained. A military band played on Sunday evenings, from five to seven o’clock.
June 27th 1827
The Bishop of Norwich confirmed at North Walsham church 1,280 persons. On one day in the previous week his lordship confirmed in Norwich Cathedral 1,100 persons.
June 30th 1827
Died at Yarmouth, aged 87, Mr. Jacob Preston, senior magistrate of the borough. He was Mayor in 1793, 1801, and 1813.
June 30th 1827
Mr. Yates gave his entertainment, “Portraits and Sketches,” at Norwich Theatre. On subsequent evenings he was assisted by Mr. Brunton and Mrs. Yates (formerly Miss Brunton).
July 25th 1827
A well-contested prize fight took place at Bessingham, between Rix and Sharpens, for £5 aside. The former beat his opponent, after fighting 78 rounds in 45 minutes.
August 5th 1827
A duel took place on Yarmouth Denes “between J--- B---, Esq., and W. M---, Esq., in consequence of a dispute the previous day at the Bath Rooms. Both were to fire at the same time, but on the signal being given Mr. M.’s ball did not take effect, and Mr. B.’s pistol missed fire. The seconds then interfered, and the affair was adjusted without much difficulty.”
August 6th 1827
Norwich Theatre was re-opened for the Assize week. “The return of Mr. Osbaldiston gave rise to scenes of disturbance which interrupted the progress of the performance for several evenings. A kind of set appears to have been made against him, but he has been warmly applauded by the respectable part of the audience.”
August 6th 1827
The Norfolk Cricket Club played the first of a series of matches which took place during the Norwich Assize week. The annual dinner was held at the Rampant Horse Inn on the 10th, under the presidency of Lord Suffield, and in the evening a ball was given at Chapel Field Rooms. The patronesses were the Countess of Albemarle, Lady Anne Coke, Lady Stafford, Lady Suffield, the Hon. Mrs. Wodehouse, Lady Lacon, and Mrs. Gurdon. “The waltz was introduced for the first time in the course of the evening, but a very select few appeared inclined to join in that rotatory movement.”
August 28th 1827
The election of freemen’s Sheriff took place at Norwich; the candidates were Alderman T. O. Springfield and Lieut. Fred White, R.N. “As soon as the polling commenced, a ticket was given by the ‘Blue and White’ party, entitling the voter who chose to accept it to half-a-crown. Nothing was given on the side of the ‘Purple and Orange,’ Lieut. White having merely come forward in consequence of a requisition sent to him by the poor freemen and signed by upwards of 300 names.” The poll was thus declared: Springfield, 1,210; White, 474. Lieut. White, in his subsequent address, wrote: “I consider my failure more honourable than to have gained the day by bribery and corruption. The 474 votes I obtained will at least rescue the character of a considerable portion of our fellow-citizens from the reproach of selling themselves to the highest bidder.”
September 5th 1827
The first stone of the new Roman Catholic chapel in St. Giles’ parish, Norwich, was laid by the Hon. and Rev. Edward Clifford.
September 8th 1827
Died, aged 74, at his house in St. Faith’s Lane, Norwich, Mr. William Herring, 32 years an alderman of the city. He was the second son of the Very Rev. William Herring, D.D., Dean of St. Asaph.
September 12th 1827
The election of an alderman to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Herring took place at Norwich. The candidates were Mr. Angell, “Purple and Orange,” and Mr. Marshall, “Blue and White.” Great excitement prevailed throughout the contest. “The ‘Purple and Orange’ party were informed in the course of the day that some of their friends had been carried off and were detained in a warehouse in St. Clement’s. A magistrates’ warrant was applied for and the captives set at liberty.” At the close of the day the voting stood as follows: Angell, 215; Marshall, 195. The friends of the latter demanded that the poll be continued on the 13th, “because seven of Mr. Marshall’s friends were detained at Ranworth against their will.” The other side retaliated that eleven of their voters had been forcibly carried away by the “Blue and Whites.” The Mayor deprecated the system that had been put in force, and adjourned the poll till 10 o’clock the following morning. The poll was finally declared as follows: Angell, 218; Marshall, 196. (_See_ September 24th.)
September 18th 1827
A Musical Festival for the benefit of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital commenced at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, and concluded with a ball in the same building on the 21st. The principals engaged for the oratorios and concerts were Madame Pasta, Miss Stephens, Miss Bacon, Miss Farrar, Madame Caradori Allan, Mr. Braham, Mr. Vaughan, Mr. Terrail, Mr. Edward Taylor, and Signor Zuchelli. Sir George Smart conducted. The total receipts amounted to about £6,400, of which £1,672 12s. 1d. was handed to the Hospital.
September 24th 1827
An inquest was held by Mr. Bell, the Norwich Coroner, on the body of James Bailey, one of the persons who was forcibly carried away to prevent his voting at the Alderman’s election on the 12th. “On the 10th he was taken away by the ‘Blues and Whites’ to Wroxham Castle public-house, the next morning removed to Horning Swan, afterwards taken to Smallburgh, and on the same night removed to Ridlington Plough. They wanted nothing for eating and drinking, but Bailey being very ill, suffered very much from being moved about.” On his return to Norwich he was engaged to sell programmes at the Musical Festival, where he was in attendance from the 18th to the 20th. On the 22nd he broke a blood vessel and died. “His attendance at the Festival took the onus off his captors, and the jury returned a verdict of ‘Died from the visitation of God.’”
September 28th 1827
Mr. Samuel Stone was elected Speaker of the Common Council of Norwich, in the room of Mr. J. S. Parkinson, deceased.
September 29th 1827
[Advt.] “£100 Reward, and his Majesty’s Pardon. Eight horses belonging to Mr. William Slack, of Norwich, died between the 25th August last and the 10th September, six soon after their return from Attleborough (one of the depôts for horses drawing the London vans) to Norwich, one at Attleborough, and the other at Newmarket, and upon being opened it has been ascertained that they died by mineral poisoning, supposed to have been administered in water or in some liquid form. The Government offer the above reward.”
September 29th 1827
“The week before last Mr. Meyer Levi, gold and silver smith, a converted Jew, together with Mrs. Hannah Levi, a converted Jewess, received the rite of Christian baptism at the hands of the vicar in the parish church of St. Stephen’s, Norwich, when the Christian names of John and Hannah were given to the above parties, and at the same time they adopted the surname of Herbert.”
October 6th 1827
A number of silver coins, some of them bearing date 1577, were dug up by a gardener at Thorpe, who sold them for £30.
October 13th 1827
The portrait of Mr. Henry Francis, Mayor of Norwich in 1824, was hung in St. Andrew’s Hall. The artist was Mr. Lane, of Greek Street, Soho.
October 18th 1827
Died at Costessey, Mrs. Anne Maria Teresa Vere, aged 100, sister of Mr. Charles Gosnold, formerly of Norwich.
October 20th 1827
Killed at the battle of Navarino, aged 24, Lieut. George William Howe FitzRoy, R.N., of H.M.S. Dartmouth, second son of Lieut.-General the Hon. William FitzRoy, of Kempston Lodge.
November 3rd 1827
“At the auction mart last week Mr. Hoggart sold the well-known estate called St. Andrew’s Hall, Old Buckenham, a fine mansion house, and 532 acres of land, at £29,300.”
November 10th 1827
It was announced that Mr. Smith, manager of Norwich Theatre, had taken of the patentee, Mr. Wilkins, a seven years’ lease of that and the other houses in the circuit.
November 10th 1827
Mr. Mathews commenced a three nights’ engagement at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich.
November 17th 1827
“The expense of erecting the house of industry at Wicklewood in 1777 was defrayed by a tontine called the ‘Forehoe Tontine,’ consisting of 110 shares at £100 each, bearing an interest of £5 per cent. Fifty years have now elapsed, and in 1827 there are still 50 survivors out of the original number.”
November 25th 1827
Died at Prospect Place, Gorleston, aged 65, Mr. F. F. Hope, for 30 years paymaster of the East Norfolk Militia. “Previously he was an officer of the line, saw much service during the great American War, was at the siege of Yorktown in Virginia in 1781, and there taken prisoner by the combined Armies of France and America, with the whole of the British Army under Lord Cornwallis.”
December 16th 1827
The small organ in East Dereham church, mentioned by Dr. Burney in his “History of Music” as a curiosity, which was built by the famous Schmidt, in 1666, for the Hon. Roger North, of Rougham Hall, and purchased for the parish in 1786 for the small sum of £30, was, after enlargement under the direction of the Rev. R. F. Elwin, of Norwich, opened before a congregation of 1,600 persons, by Mr. Last, of Orford. The builder, Mr. Joseph Hart, of Redgrave, found that Schmidt’s pipes were as sound as on the day they were finished.
December 16th 1827
A boy of 13, named William Moore, was brutally murdered in a field at Brisley, by John Kenney, a lunatic, aged 24. The body was horribly mutilated. The prisoner was committed for trial on the Coroner’s warrant, on the charge of wilful murder, and at the Lent Assizes, held at Thetford on March 21st, before Mr. Baron Garrow, the jury returned a verdict of not guilty, on the ground of the insanity of the accused.
December 22nd 1827
[Advt.] “A main of cocks will be fought at the White Hart Inn, Swaffham, on Thursday, the 27th of December, 1827, for 50 guineas, between Mr. J. Farrer, of Necton, and Mr. G. Gould, of Swaffham. A very superior day’s play is expected, as there are several other matches besides.”
December 22nd 1827
“Died lately, at Northrepps, Hannah Storey, in her 101st year.”
December 22nd 1827
Lieut.-Col. Harvey, commanding the 3rd Regiment of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, addressed a letter to the Marquis of Lansdowne, Secretary of State for War, detailing the services rendered by the regiment in quelling disturbances, &c., and expressing the hope that the Government would not order the disbandment of the corps. His lordship replied that he had not lost sight of the valuable services of the Yeomanry, but that the Barracks at Norwich were then, and were likely to continue, a station for regular cavalry, and consequently he was unable to accede to the request to continue the pay and allowance to the regiment.
December 24th 1827
Died at Lynn, Samuel Pearson, a journeyman cabinetmaker, “who, in the intervals of his labour, acquired a deep knowledge of mathematics, and possessed the faculty of communicating his knowledge to others. He established a mathematical academy, which had every prospect of success.”
December 29th 1827
Miss C. Morgan’s Menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Hill, Norwich.
December 29th 1827
Great excitement was caused in Yarmouth by the discovery that upwards of twenty recently interred bodies had been removed from the churchyard by resurrection men. “The churchyard was quickly crowded by the population. Wives were searching for the remains of their deceased husbands, husbands for those of their wives, and parents for their children.” Three men, Thomas Smith, _alias_ Vaughan, William Barber, and Robert Barber, were apprehended, and committed for trial at Yarmouth Quarter Sessions, whence, on April 1st, 1828, the indictment was removed by writ of _certiorari_ to the Court of King’s Bench. The case was tried at Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Baron Alexander, on August 11th, 1828, when only Vaughan (or Smith) was proceeded against. Robert Barker turned King’s evidence, and described the method by which the graves were robbed, and how the bodies were sent to London by the wain. A verdict of guilty was returned, and on November 14th, 1828, the prisoner was brought up for sentence in the Court of King’s Bench. He urged that he was driven by poverty to the commission of the offence, and was sentenced by Mr. Justice Bayley to six months’ imprisonment in the house of correction at Norwich.
December 31st 1827
Miss Clark, a native of the city, commenced an engagement with her equestrian company at the Pantheon, Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich.