January 7th 1826
In consequence of continued applications for relief by the unemployed weavers, &c., the Norwich Court of Guardians increased the mulct for the ensuing quarter £3,000—an addition to the rates of 2s. in the pound.—On January 12th a Crape Ball, at which the lady patronesses wore white Norwich crape, other ladies scarlet geranium-coloured Norwich crapes, and gentlemen waistcoats of plain white shawl with shawl pattern border as part of their evening dress, was held at the Assembly Room for the purpose of promoting a fund for the relief of the poor, and produced a clear profit of £79. The fund was formally inaugurated at a public meeting held at the Guildhall on January 16th, and upwards of £5,000 was afterwards subscribed.—The Paving Act Commissioners on January 24th decided to macadamise Ber Street in order to afford relief work, and in March the manufacturers, with the same object, commenced making bombazetts and twilled stuffs, articles that were entirely new to Norwich. On March 10th the governors of the Bank of England granted to the manufacturers the loan of £80,000 for four months at the rate of five per cent. per annum; and on May 15th application was made to the committee in London for the relief of distressed manufactures, who granted £600 to the unemployed weavers, still numbering several thousands.—The Court of Guardians on July 4th increased the mulct for the ensuing quarter to £15,000; and in August offered to obtain employment for a considerable number of distressed weavers if they would consent to a slight reduction of wages. The men declined the offer because the manufacturers refused to guarantee that they would not send work into the country. During the remaining portion of the year employment continued to be scarce.
January 14th 1826
“Mr. W. E. L. Bulwer, of Heydon Hall, has lately been presented by his tenants with a piece of plate, of the value of 500 guineas, as a testimony of their respect and esteem for his general good conduct, and especially as a mark of gratitude for his disinterested generosity during the late agricultural distresses.”
January 18th 1826
Died at Yarmouth, John Joy, for 30 years guard of the mail coach to London. “He has left three sons, two of whom, since the death of Serres, are said to be the first marine painters in the kingdom.”
January 26th 1826
A great skating match at Wisbech, in which all the principal fen skaters took part, was won by Farrow, of Nordelph.
January 31st 1826
A large number of weavers caused a riot in Norwich, and destroyed a carrier’s cart which was conveying into the country materials for manufacturing purposes. On February 1st the mob stopped all country carts and seized what manufacturing articles were found upon them, broke the windows of several factories, and became so aggressive that the Scots Greys were called out to quell the disturbance. The rioting was resumed on February 13th, when many citizens were sworn in as special constables, and after the Riot Act had been read the cavalry cleared the streets.
February 4th 1826
“Died at a rustic and old habitation on Kettlestone Common, at the age of 99, Robert Pamell, an honest husbandman, who, until he was 93, never took relief from the parish. He had frequently said he never recollected having taken physic in his life.”
February 9th 1826
The Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Bill was introduced into the House of Commons and read a first time; it passed its second reading on February 17th, and on February 27th petitions were presented against the measure from the Corporation of Yarmouth and the owners of estates, and in its favour from the inhabitants of Lowestoft and the Port Reeve and inhabitants of Beccles. On April 10th a Committee of the House proceeded to take evidence, and after a sitting of 18 days 20 votes were given for the Bill and 25 against. The result of the Parliamentary proceedings gave rise to great rejoicings at Yarmouth, where, on May 18th, a dinner was held to celebrate the defeat of the Bill.—On August 8th the Haven and Pier Commissioners received a deputation from the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Committee, and a conference was held. Further discussion was deferred until September 5th.—On August 26th the county magistrates held a meeting at the Norwich Shirehall, and resolved that it was desirable that Norwich be made a port through Yarmouth, and requested the Haven and Pier Commissioners to continue negociations with the Norwich Joint Stock Company.—At the adjourned meeting on September 5th the negociations fell through owing to the strong opposition manifested by the traders and merchants of Yarmouth. The Navigation Company, on September 29th, decided to revive the Lowestoft scheme, to execute the work for a sum not exceeding £100,000, and to apply for a Bill in the next Session of Parliament. On November 22nd a petition was presented in the House of Commons for leave to bring in the Bill, and was referred to Committee. At a public meeting at Yarmouth on November 28th, it was resolved to exercise every influence to bring about the defeat of the measure.—The Bill was read a first time in the House of Commons on November 29th.
February 12th 1826
Died at his house in St. Giles’, the Rev. Charles John Chapman, B.D., upper minister of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. He was educated at the Norwich Free Grammar School, under the Rev. Dr. Parr, and at the University of Cambridge, and was some time fellow of Corpus Christi College.
February 13th 1826
Capt. Parry, R.N., was presented with the freedom of Lynn “in testimony of his meritorious and enterprising conduct in his several voyages of discovery.” On the 15th the Corporation gave a dinner in his honour at the Town Hall.
February 14th 1826
Died, Mrs. Mary Seaman, of Norwich, aged 100.
February 23rd 1826
The Scots Greys marched from Norwich for Liverpool.
March 3rd 1826
The 1st Dragoon Guards marched into Norwich.
March 9th 1826
At a meeting of the county magistrates, held at the Shirehall, Norwich, a letter from the Secretary of State was read on the subject of the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich. It was agreed to answer the various objections it contained, and to strongly urge the removal of the Assizes.—The Grand Jury at Norwich Assizes on July 22nd made a presentment of the grievance from which the city suffered in the absence of a second gaol delivery in the course of the year.
March 18th 1826
“Died lately in London, aged 62, Mr. Henry Smith, of Ellingham Hall, who for 29 years held the situation of solicitor to the East India Dock Company, and clerk of the Drapers’ Company. Mr. Smith some time ago represented the borough of Colne in Parliament.”
March 25th 1826
Between 60 and 70 friends of Mr. Cobbett dined at the Bowling Green Inn, Norwich, under the presidency of Sir Thomas Beevor. Mr. Cobbett was present, and replied to the toast of “Our Guest,” proposed by Sir Thomas.
March 27th 1826
The new Theatre at Norwich was opened with the performance of “The School for Scandal” and of the farce “Youth, Love, and Folly.” The proceedings commenced with the singing of the National Anthem by the whole of the company, after which the leading actor, Mr. Osbaldiston, delivered an address, “written by a young lady of this city for the occasion.” On the previous Saturday evening (March 25th) the patentee, Mr. Wilkins, entertained a party of 150 ladies and gentlemen in the green room of the Theatre. The High Sheriff (Col. Harvey) proposed “Success to the new Theatre,” “which the guests readily pledged in glasses of sparkling champagne,” and the evening concluded with a dance upon the stage.
April 11th 1826
Died at her house, Rue Neuve du Luxembourg, Paris, Madame De Bardelin, wife of Monsieur le Chevalier Laget De Bardelin, Officier Supérieur, Lieutenant des Gardes du Corps du Roy. “Madame De Bardelin was well known and highly respected by many distinguished families in Norwich and Norfolk, where, when she was Miss Sutton, she resided for a considerable time.”
April 14th 1826
A squadron of 1st King’s Dragoon Guards left Norwich for Leeds, and on the same day the depot of the 40th (2nd Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot arrived in the city and occupied the Cavalry Barracks.
April 20th 1826
Mr. Osbaldiston took leave of the Norwich stage in the part of Virginius, and proceeded to the Haymarket Theatre, London.
April 30th 1826
The large east window of Norwich Cathedral was exposed to view after restoration. “The central light formerly comprised the Transfiguration, after Raphael, painted by the lady of the late Dean Lloyd, with varnished colours, but these not having been burnt in were after a time entirely dissipated. The same subject has now been re-executed in vitrified colours from the picture by Julio Romano, in the possession of Mr. W. Wilkins. To that ingenious artist, Mr. Zobel (in the employment of Mr. Yarrington, of Norwich), we offer our congratulations on the success of his undertaking.”
May 1st 1826
Mr. Barton, from the Bristol Theatre, who succeeded Mr. Osbaldiston as the tragedian of the Norwich Company, made his first appearance in the part of Hamlet. “The thanks of the pure lovers of the stage are due to Mr. Chippendale for not playing the grave-digger in the traditionary number of waistcoats.”
May 4th 1826
Major Jonathan Peel, son of Sir Robert Peel, and brother of the Right Hon. Robert Peel, Secretary of State for the Home Department, issued his address as candidate for Norwich in the “Purple and Orange” interest.
May 17th 1826
Mr. William Smith issued his address as candidate for Norwich in the “Blue and White” interest. “I regret,” he wrote, “that practices exist against which I have frequently and earnestly remonstrated; not only in private, but before thousands of you assembled I have openly protested against the right of any man to call for a reform in Parliament who accepted any reward for his own vote.”
May 18th 1826
Died at his lodging at Yarmouth, aged 86, Mr. Roger Hays, of Norwich, formerly captain in the 11th Light Dragoons, and many years adjutant of the 3rd or East Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry. He entered the Army in 1760, and was on duty with the Household troops at the coronation of George III.
May 19th 1826
The several troops of the 3rd Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Harvey, completed 28 days’ permanent duty at Norwich, and were inspected at Mile End by Major Rutledge, 6th Carabineers.
June 9th 1826
Mr. William Smith, the former member, and Major Peel were returned unopposed for Norwich. A Mr. Morrison had been invited to contest the seat as a third candidate, but excused himself on the ground that he was already nominated for Great Marlow. It was by the extreme section of the “Blue and White” party that Mr. Morrison’s services were sought. Failing in this they nominated Mr. R. H. Gurney, but it being represented to the Sheriff that he would not consent, the nomination was withdrawn.
June 9th 1826
Yarmouth Election: the Hon. George Anson, 645; Mr. C. E. Rumbold, 649; Sir E. K. Lacon, 250.
June 10th 1826
Lynn Election: The Hon. John Walpole, 199; Lord William Bentinck, 174; Sir W. B. ffolkes, 104.
June 10th 1826
“Died a few days since at Hampstead, in Berkshire, Mrs. Brunton, widow of the late Mr. John Brunton, of Norwich.”
June 12th 1826
Lord Charles Fitz Roy and Mr. William Bingham Baring were returned unopposed for Thetford.
June 12th 1826
Lord H. Cholmondeley and Col. the Hon. F. G. Howard were returned unopposed for Castle Rising.
June 12th 1826
The portrait of Mr. J. S. Patteson, by Beechey, and of Mr. William Simpson, Chamberlain of the city and Treasurer of the county, by Phillips, R.A., were hung in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
June 14th 1826
The Wesleyan Methodists of Norwich presented to the Rev. William Gilpin, superintendent of the Norwich circuit, a pair of silver cups as a token of gratitude and esteem. The inscriptions were surmounted by engraved representations of Calvert Street and St. Peter’s Chapels, both of which were erected under Mr. Gilpin’s superintendence, the former in 1819 and the latter in 1824.
June 14th 1826
The first laden wherries proceeded along the North Walsham and Dilham Canal from Wayford Bridge to Mr. Cubitt’s mill at North Walsham, with music playing and flags flying. “Thousands of spectators assembled to witness this interesting scene, and the day finished with a plentiful treat to the workmen of Mr. Sharpe’s strong ale and Barclay’s brown stout.”
June 19th 1826
Mr. T. W. Coke and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse were returned unopposed for Norfolk. “At Mr. Walter’s house on the Gentleman’s Walk, Lady Anne Coke, with her two lovely children, presented herself at the windows, and was greeted with loud acclaims by Mr. Coke’s friends. When the hon. member himself passed the spot our venerable Lord Bishop was holding the young heir of Holkham in his arms, and each time that his father was triumphantly thrown up in his chair the plaudits were renewed with an enthusiasm which must have been truly grateful to his parental feelings.”
June 20th 1826
Guild Day at Norwich was observed with the customary formalities. Mr. Ed. Temple Booth having been sworn in as Mayor, the Right Hon. Robert Peel, Secretary of State for the Home Department, and his brother, Major Peel, M.P., took the oath as freemen of the city. The Guild feast, given at St. Andrew’s Hall, was attended by 650 guests, and the ball at Chapel Field House by 300.
June 21st 1826
Messrs. Charles and George Green ascended in their balloon from the gasworks at Lynn in the presence of 15,000 spectators, and descended at Southery, near Downham Market.
July 4th 1826
A meeting of the “Blue and White” freemen was held at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. William Smith, M.P., at which was formed the Norwich Union Independent Society. Its object was “to promote the purity of election.”
July 8th 1826
Died at Dublin, aged 24, Lieut. Henry Francis Bell, 58th Regiment of Foot, grandson of Mr. Henry Bell, of Wallington. He was accidentally shot by a recruit while at practice with ball cartridge.
July 10th 1826
Great rejoicings took place at Cromer on the coming of age of the heir of Felbrigg. The horses were removed from Mr. Windham’s carriage, which was dragged through the streets of the town. “Fourteen barrels of strong ale and porter having been placed on a pleasant eminence on the road to Felbrigg, thirteen were broached and distributed among the company, and the remaining barrel was given to the poor of Cromer. A ball was held at Felbrigg Hall in the evening.”
July 13th 1826
In the Rolls Court Lord Gifford delivered judgment in the tithe case Bayley _v._ Sewell. The plaintiff was the lessee of the impropriate rectory of Wymondham, and the defendant the occupier of certain farms called the Great Park Farm and the Little Park Farm, which had been purchased upwards of 200 years previously by Sir Henry Hobart, the then Lord Chief Justice of Common Pleas, as tithe free, subject only to the demand of a _modus_ of £1 6s. 8d. in respect of the Great Park and of 13s. 4d. in respect of the Little Park. This suit was instituted for the purpose of compelling payment of tithes in respect of both farms; and at the Norfolk Summer Assizes in 1825 the jury found for the plaintiff. Lord Gifford, in his judgment, established the two ancient _moduses_ which exempted the properties from the payment of tithes.
July 15th 1826
The discontinuance of Magdalen Fair, Norwich, was announced in the following official notice:—“Sprowston, July 15th, 1826. Whereas it has been represented to the executors and trustees of the estate of the late Thomas Woodruffe Smith, Esq., lord of the manor of Sprowston and lord of the fair called Mary Magdalene Fair, yearly held at Sprowston in the Hundred of Taverham in the county of Norfolk, that divers tumults and riotous proceedings have taken place at the above fair to the terror and fear of the lives of the peaceable inhabitants of the said parish, and great nuisances and depredations have been committed on their property, notice is hereby given to all dealers and chapmen and all persons whatever who have usually resorted thereto, that no fair will be held this year on the 2nd day of August or any subsequent day at Sprowston aforesaid, nor again in future, and any person or persons who may, after this notice, be found trespassing on the lands where the fair has been usually held, or on any other lands adjoining, or obstructing the public roads in Sprowston aforesaid, will be dealt with according to law. By order of the said Trustees, Lords of the Manor of Sprowston.—Thomas Sayer, Bailiff.”
July 15th 1826
A fine vessel called the Rapid, upwards of 160 tons, was launched from Mr. Preston’s yard at Yarmouth.
July 22nd 1826
A historical play entitled “Viriatus, the Lusitanian Hero,” written by Mr. Thwaites, jun., of Norwich, a member of the Norwich Company, was produced at the Theatre for the first time, and “was received with great approbation.”
July 30th 1826
A singular phenomenon was witnessed at Cromer. “The lighthouse hill and adjacent heights were literally covered with myriads of the insect called Lady Bird of an unusually large sort.”
August 7th 1826
The prisoners at the old City Gaol at Norwich were removed to the new Gaol at St. Giles’ Gates.
August 28th 1826
Ten thousand persons were attracted to the neighbourhood of St. James’s Hill, Norwich, to witness the performances of “Signor Carlo Cram Villecrop, the celebrated Swiss Mountain Flyer from Geneva and Mont Blanc,” who was to exhibit “with the Tyrolese pole, 50 feet long, the most astonishing gymnastic flights never before witnessed in this country.” It was a hoax.
August 29th 1826
The election of the freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich was attended with great excitement. The candidates were Mr. J. Bennett and Mr. T. O. Springfield. “Complimentary half-crowns were paid to the ‘friends of independence,’” and it was mentioned as a circumstance highly creditable to the poor freemen of the “Purple and Orange” interest, that “they contented themselves with a fee of 5s. each from their own party.” The poll was declared as follows: Bennett, 1,164; Springfield, 1,079.
August 29th 1826
The North Walsham and Dilham Canal was formally opened by a grand procession of vessels which started from Wayford Bridge accompanied by a band of music and filled with company, among whom were Lord Suffield and many of the principal residents in the district. At Antingham the company landed, formed in procession, and marched to North Walsham, where a dinner was held at the King’s Arms Inn, under the presidency of Col. the Hon. John Wodehouse.
September 4th 1826
The Ven. Archdeacon Oldershaw preached at Pulham Market church on the occasion of the opening of the newly-erected organ, built by Mr. Bullen, “an ingenious mechanic of that place.”
September 9th 1826
“The aged inhabitants residing in the alms-houses in St. Gregory’s, bequeathed by Alderman Thomas Pye to the poor people belonging to St. Giles’, were removed this week into their newly-erected and comfortable dwellings in West Pottergate Street.”
September 13th 1826
A man named Gibson, for a wager of £50, undertook to walk from Norwich to Yarmouth in seven and a half hours carrying £4 worth of copper coins, weighing four stones four pounds. He started from Bishop Bridge at five o’clock in the morning, accomplished the first twelve miles in three hours, and arrived at Yarmouth half an hour within the stipulated time.
September 18th 1826
A prize fight, “one of those revolting scenes, which are equally an outrage on every feeling of humanity as well as a scandal to civilised society,” took place at Bramerton. The combatants were prevented by a magistrate from bringing off the affair at Surlingham; and the parish constable at Bramerton on attempting to stop the fight was almost killed in the execution of his duty.
October 5th 1826
Joseph Wiggins, driver of the Norwich Phenomena coach, was fined at Ixworth in the mitigated penalty of £90 for having 36 head of partridges in his possession, contrary to the statute 5 Anne c. 14, s. 2.
October 11th 1826
Died in Goat Lane, Norwich, aged 75, Mr. John Reynolds, who served the office of Sheriff in 1796.
October 17th 1826
At Norwich Quarter Sessions a committee of justices reported that the Bridewell was “insufficient, inconvenient, and inadequate to give effect to the rules and regulations enforced in recent legislation, and it was necessary from the increased number of commitments to such Bridewell that some other and more commodious building should be erected or substituted.”
October 19th 1826
A meeting was held at the Angel Inn, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. Unthank, at which was passed a resolution to the effect “that by the present mode of electing Guardians the great body of the payers of the poor-rates are entirely unrepresented, that the extraordinary increase in the poor-rates of the city within the last six months has caused the greatest alarm and demands the strictest scrutiny, and that it is desirable a Bill should be brought in to amend the present Court of Guardians Act so far as to the choosing members of the Court.” A petition embodying the principle of this resolution was ordered to be presented to the House of Commons.
October 21st 1826
Died, Mr. John Ansell, plumber and glazier, St. John Maddermarket, who served the offer of Sheriff of Norwich in 1806.
October 21st 1826
At about this date large numbers of people assembled nightly on Orford Hill, Norwich, to watch for a “ghost” which was said to haunt the premises of a Mr. Hart. Martin, a police officer, examined some unoccupied premises adjoining, and discovered a hiding-place which had evidently been used by the person who had annoyed Mr. Hart’s family.
October 21st 1826
Mr. Stone, the County Surveyor, was reported to have “discovered rooms and passages within the walls of the Keep of Norwich Castle which have been unknown since it has become a county gaol, a period of nearly 500 years.”
October 22nd 1826
The Friends’ Meeting House in Goat Lane, Norwich, erected on the site of the old Meeting House demolished in 1825, was opened for public worship. The architect was Mr. Patience, and the builder, Mr. John Bensley.
October 28th 1826
At the adjourned Quarter Sessions at Norwich, Mr. Alderman Crisp Brown made serious allegations as to the way in which the contractors for the new Gaol had done their work. The court appointed Mr. Nicholls, of London, to survey the work. Vestry meetings were held in St. Giles’, St. Peter Mancroft, St. Andrew’s, and St. Julian’s, at which resolutions were adopted expressing approval of Mr. Brown’s action. On May 12th, 1827, it was announced that Mr. Nicholls had awarded the sum of £1,552 to the contractors over and above the balance previously due to them.
November 5th 1826
A great part of the premises erected on the site of the old alms-houses, adjoining the Friends’ Meeting House, Goat Lane, Norwich, fell with a tremendous crash.
November 11th 1826
“Mr. W. Wilkins has received another testimony to his ability as an architect in the preference given to his design for the London University.”
November 11th 1826
Died at Brundall, aged 72, Mr. Elisha De Hague, Town Clerk of Norwich, to which office he was elected on August 8th, 1792, on the death of his father.
November 18th 1826
“An intelligent mercantile gentleman from Russia, who landed at Yarmouth, with whom we had some conversation on the subject of the free admission of foreign corn into this country, gave it as his opinion that the fears entertained here by the landed interest of excessive importations, at least for some time to come, are quite groundless. He admitted, however, that in eight or ten years, from the encouragement we shall have given to the foreign grower by our free trade system, if it should be extended to corn, abundant supplies may be expected. What will _then_ be the state of the agriculture of _this_ country by no means too flourishing _now_ may be easily imagined.”
November 21st 1826
At a special assembly of the Corporation of Norwich, Mr. William Simpson, for 34 years Chamberlain, was elected Town Clerk and Clerk of the Peace, and steward of the several manors belonging to the Corporation, in the room of Mr. Elisha De Hague, deceased.
November 25th 1826
A county meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, for the twofold purpose of opposing the Bill presented to Parliament for the appointment of district surveyors of highways, and of expressing dissent from the practice which prevailed at the Shirehall of conducting county business with closed doors. With regard to the first subject a resolution was passed stating that the county-rate had increased from £7,200 to £20,400 in twenty years, and that it was undesirable to increase it by making the proposed appointments. It was decided to take counsel’s opinion upon the other matter. (_See_ January 12th, 1827.)
November 27th 1826
The Rev. William Whitear, rector of Starston, met with his death under singular circumstances. He had gone out with a party to apprehend poachers; the party divided themselves into two bodies, and on proceeding to the place where it had been agreed upon to reassemble, Mr. Whitear was mistaken for a poacher and shot in the right side by another of the party, a young man named Thomas Pallant. He died from the effects of the wound on December 10th, and Pallant was committed for trial on the charge of manslaughter. The case was tried at the Norfolk Assizes at Thetford before Mr. Justice Gaselee, on March 26th, 1827, when the accused was acquitted. “He was so seriously affected during the trial that before its conclusion he became quite insensible, and was taken home in that state.”
December 2nd 1826
[Advt.] “Whereas a report was very generally circulated last week, and in a great measure obtained credit, that the body of William Tounshend, which was buried at Lakenham, on Sunday, November 19th, had been disinterred and taken away, we, the undersigned, have investigated the matter and certify the following statement to be correct:—The relatives of the deceased being much affected at such a report and naturally anxious to ascertain the truth of it, made application to have the grave examined. After due deliberation upon the subject permission was granted for that purpose. The grave was opened on Saturday last in the presence of them, together with us, when it was discovered that the body reposed in its peaceful abode undisturbed. We consider it to be our duty to give this public contradiction to so groundless and scandalous a report, in order thereby to satisfy the minds of the parishioners and the public at large.—George Carter, vicar; Hunton Jackson, William Norman, churchwardens; Lakenham Vestry, November 26th.”
December 6th 1826
At a meeting of the Norwich Corporation, Mr. Robert Alderson was elected Recorder in place of Mr. C. S. Onley, resigned. “Mr. Alderson, though only what is technically termed an ‘utter barrister,’ is now the Recorder of three Corporations, namely, Norwich, Yarmouth, and Ipswich. An ‘utter barrister’ (according to Bailey) is a young lawyer admitted to plead at the Bar, or a person well schooled in the common law who is called from contemplation to practice.”
December 8th 1826
At a special court of the Corporation of Guardians, Norwich, Mr. Roger Kerrison, solicitor, was elected clerk in the room of Mr. William Simpson, resigned.
December 8th 1826
Died at Holkham, aged 90, William Jones, for upwards of 50 years huntsman and principal stable servant in the Coke family. “On his death-bed he was seen by Mr. Coke, who took with him the young heir of Holkham, to shake his faithful old servant by the hand. Lady Anne Coke, Lady Anson, and all the family at Holkham showed every possible kindness and attention to the venerable and much-respected old man.”
December 11th 1826
A serious poaching affray took place in Heydon Woods between a band of 25 poachers and about 20 keepers and watchers. The Hon. George Edwards (a son of Lord Kensington), who accompanied the keepers, was knocked down by a stone, and shot while upon the ground. At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford on March 26th, 1827, before Mr. Justice Gaselee, 13 persons were indicted in connection with the affair. Sentences of death passed upon them were commuted to terms of transportation.
December 12th 1826
Mr. Isaac Preston was elected Steward of Norwich in room of Mr. Robert Alderson, appointed Recorder.
December 14th 1826
A meeting of the Hundred of Eynsford was held at the Swan Inn, Reepham, at which it was decided to petition Parliament against any alteration in the Corn Laws. Similar petitions were adopted by almost every Hundred in the county.
December 17th 1826
The depôt of the 40th Regiment of Foot marched from Norwich for Bradford.