January 1st 1825
The “Norfolk and Suffolk Railway Company” advertised its prospectus. It was proposed to raise a capital of one million sterling in 10,000 shares of £100 each. The prospectus stated: “The trade from London to Norwich in bombazeen and crape is at once extensive and permanent, yet the conveyance of goods is dilatory, expensive, and troublesome. The mode of conveyance of fish is insufficient on the one hand, and extravagant on the other.” It was proposed to construct the railway from London to Norwich through Chelmsford and Colchester, with a branch to Harwich; to Ipswich with a branch to Bury St. Edmund’s; and to Norwich with branches to Lynn and Yarmouth. The cost of the undertaking was estimated at £980,000, and there were to be twelve country and twelve London directors. Among the former were Messrs. E. T. Booth, W. Foster, Joseph Geldart, R. Hawkes, and J. Ives, of Norwich; and Sir E. K. Lacon, of Yarmouth.
January 5th 1825
At a public meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, it was decided to establish a Mechanics’ Institution, “similar to those already formed in London.” Nearly 100 members joined at the conclusion of the meeting.
January 12th 1825
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, the justices ordered that the houses of correction at Aylsham and Wymondham be abolished on the completion of the county gaol.
January 22nd 1825
A new roadway made through the city wall at the west end of Pottergate Street, Norwich, was completed on this date, and opened for vehicular traffic on the 24th. “This great improvement was effected by Mr. Alderman T. S. Day, aided by the exertions of Mr. Blyth, who, in company with Mrs. Blyth, was the first who rode through the new way.”
January 24th 1825
Died at Lynn, aged 78, William Hall, auctioneer and bookseller. “He was generally known by the appellation Antiquarian Hall, having for many years been in the habit of dealing in works of black letter lore, of which, at one time, he had a good collection. He was a man quite uneducated, but of strong natural abilities, and had read a great deal on subjects of antiquity. Though a man of very eccentric habits, he was universally respected for his industry and integrity.”
January 24th 1825
The exhibition commenced at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, of a “grand model of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem.”
January 25th 1825
The Castle Corporation at Norwich celebrated its 60th anniversary.
January 29th 1825
“Died last week, at Holt, Mary Ann Edge, at the advanced age of 103.”
January 31st 1825
Norwich Theatre re-opened for the season. The new members of the company included Mr. Balls, comedian; Mr. Baker, comedian; Mr. Warren, “walking gentleman”; Miss Scruton, Mrs. Sheppard (formerly Miss Diddear), Mrs. Balls, and Mrs. Watkinson.
February 2nd 1825
The body of an old man, buried in Hethersett churchyard, was stolen by resurrection men. A similar outrage took place in Thorpe churchyard on the same date.
February 5th 1825
“Sir Edmund Bacon (one of the three gentlemen nominated to serve the office of Sheriff of this county) is gone to London to prefer some antient claim of exemption from it on account of his being the premier baronet of England. Such claim had been successfully made on a similar occasion by his late father.” Exemption was granted; but on November 11th, in the Court of Exchequer, the Lord Chief Justice of the Court of King’s Bench stated that the authorities, after duly investigating the claim, had decided to disallow it.
February 5th 1825
“The governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital have presented a silver waiter, of the value of 50 guineas, to Mr. Edward Taylor for his eminent services in promoting, arranging, and assisting at the grand Musical Festival.”
February 10th 1825
An exceptionally high tide occurred at Yarmouth. The river overflowed and flooded cellars, stables, granaries, and other buildings on the Quay; and the Southtown Road from the Bear Inn, near the bridge, to Gorleston was completely under water, in places to the depth of three feet. At Cromer great damage was done to the cliffs.
February 11th 1825
A petition for leave to bring in a Bill to amend the Norwich Paving Act was presented in the House of Commons by Mr. William Smith.—At a meeting held at the Duke’s Palace Inn, Norwich, on March 1st, it was decided to oppose the Bill because the Paving Commissioners by clause 8 sought to obtain authority to levy an additional due of 8d. per ton on all goods brought by vessels up the river higher than Thorpe Old Hall.—The Bill was read a first time on March 4th, but in consequence of the opposition to clause 8 Mr. Smith withdrew the measure and suffered the second reading to pass as a dropped order.—On March 28th Mr. Smith moved the second reading on the understanding that the objectionable clause would be withdrawn in Committee. The Bill was then read a second time.—It passed its third reading on May 3rd; received the Royal Assent in the House of Lords on May 20th; and the first meeting of the Commissioners under the new Act was held at Norwich on June 14th.
February 15th 1825
The prospectus of the Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Company was adopted at a meeting held at Gray’s Inn Coffee House, London, presided over by Col. Harvey, High Sheriff of Norfolk. The principal object for which the company was formed was that of making Norwich a port for seaborne vessels not exceeding ten feet draught, by opening the best and most direct line of communication between that city and the sea. In addition to the old list of shares, amounting to £27,000, it was decided to raise £120,000 in shares of £50 each, and to apply to Parliament in the ensuing Session for leave to bring in a Bill.—The first general meeting of the shareholders was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, on June 1st, and on July 2nd a meeting of proprietors of land adjoining the proposed canal between the Yare and the Waveney resolved to oppose the Bill on account of threatened danger to their property.—The proprietors of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, and of the Coltishall and Aylsham Canal also decided to oppose the measure because it would divert the traffic from Yarmouth to Lowestoft, would lead to the neglect of Breydon, and consequently to the injury of the navigation of the Bure and Ant.
February 19th 1825
“Died last week in Bishopgate Hospital, Norwich, Mr. John Green, aged 101.”
February 24th 1825
In the House of Commons Col. Wodehouse moved that petitions from the magistrates of Norfolk and from the Mayor and Corporation of Thetford in reference to the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich be referred to a Select Committee. The motion was defeated by 72 votes against 21.
February 24th 1825
The Corporation of Norwich rescinded the resolution by which they had offered the corn merchants a site for a Corn Exchange, and appointed a committee to report on the propriety of the Corporation erecting a building of their own for the sale of corn and other agricultural produce. The committee, on March 15th, reported in favour of the proposal, the Under-Chamberlain was directed to mark out a site 150 feet by 70 feet on the Castle Meadow, and on May 3rd it was resolved to advertise for plans and estimates.—The corn merchants held a meeting at the Norfolk Hotel on July 25th, and finally agreed to erect an exchange “on part of the present site of Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court.” It was announced “a new street is to be made to communicate with the Market Place from St. Andrew’s Street, to enter it at the upper end of Cockey Lane.” A proposal was made to erect in the Exchange galleries for the accommodation of the Norwich Society of Artists, who would be deprived of their rooms in the Court.—At a special meeting of the Corporation on August 10th “the further consideration of the erection of a Corn Exchange” was indefinitely deferred.
February 28th 1825
A peal of six bells, cast by William Dobson, of Downham Market, was opened at Marham by the Aylsham company of ringers.
February 28th 1825
Mr. David Fisher, “a flower of our own garden, a native of our own county,” made his first appearance at Lynn Theatre in the character of Richard III. He afterwards appeared as Macbeth.
March 2nd 1825
Died at Bolton Row, London, Lady Jerningham, widow of Sir William Jerningham. Her ladyship was a daughter of the 11th Viscount Dillon. Her remains were interred at Costessey on March 11th.
March 2nd 1825
Died at Holkham Hall, aged 45, the Rev. Richard Odell, B.A., Fellow of Christ’s College, Oxford, curate of Burnham Overy and of Holkham, and chaplain to his Royal Highness the Duke of Sussex.
March 3rd 1825
Died at his house in St. Giles’, Norwich, aged 75, Mr. John Christopher Hampp, a native of Germany, many years an eminent merchant in the city, and a liberal benefactor of the poor.
March 6th 1825
Died at Tenby, aged 43, Col. Francis Manners Sutton, second son of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
March 6th 1825
Died at Hatton, Warwickshire, aged 80, the Rev. Samuel Parr, LL.D., Prebendary of St. Paul’s, and rector of Graffham, Huntingdonshire, and formerly head-master of Norwich Free Grammar School.
March 7th 1825
Died, aged 69, Mr. John Banks, proprietor and manager of the Theatres Royal at Liverpool and Manchester, and formerly of Norwich.
March 8th 1825
Mr. Denny, of Egmere, was presented with a silver cup by the members of the Walsingham Coursing Club, “as a mark of their esteem and gratitude to him for the handsome, liberal, and friendly manner with which he has at all times come forward in support of the meeting.”
March 25th 1825
The contract was completed for the purchase of the works of the Norwich Gas Company by the British Gas Light Company. “The latter company have bought a piece of land in the World’s End Lane, near St. Martin-at-Palace, on which they intend to erect a building and construct works for supplying the city with coal gas.”—The Paving Commissioners on September 13th consented to an application being made to Parliament for a Bill to enlarge and amend the Act for lighting with gas the city of Norwich, “and of the extension of the capital of the British Gas Company and of the monies appropriated to their own use provided it meet all such capital to the extent of 12½ per cent. per annum.”
March 26th 1825
“Died lately, at Shelfanger, James Catchpole, labourer, in his 105th year. Within the last year of his life he was willing and able to do a day’s work in husbandry.”
March 26th 1825
(Advt.) “Miss Phillis Glover, being obliged by the early opening of the Haymarket Theatre, where she is engaged, to leave the Norwich Company before the close of the season, begs permission to take this, her only opportunity, of returning thanks to the inhabitants of Norwich for the kind indulgence afforded to her professional exertions, and of bidding them most respectfully farewell.” (Miss Glover, whose place in the Norwich Company was filled by the engagement of Miss Goward, was married on November 19th, 1827, at the church of St Clement Danes, London, to Mr. J. C. Evans, solicitor, of Liverpool.)
March 29th 1825
Mr. Dewing’s hounds met at West Bradenham, where a fine buck was turned off, and ran through Bradenham and Saham, skirted Ashill to Holme Hale, crossed Necton Common, ran through Necton by Fransham to Dunham, Palgrave, and Sporle, and thence to Castleacre, where he was taken after a severe run of 21 miles over the stiffest country in Norfolk.
April 2nd 1825
Shore’s menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Ditches, Norwich.
April 2nd 1825
“Died at Yarmouth, Mrs. Elizabeth Campling, in her 101st year.”
April 3rd 1825
Died at North Walsham, Mary Cook, aged 101.
April 5th 1825
One hundred “bankers” from Bedfordshire arrived at North Walsham and commenced digging the North Walsham and Dilham Canal. “The first spade of earth was taken out by Mr. William Youard, the band striking up ‘God save the King.’”
April 5th 1825
A prize fight took place between Camplin and Murrell, of Norwich, on a meadow near Thorpe, for £10 aside. Murrell was the winner.
April 7th 1825
The Archdeacon of Norwich convened a meeting of clergy at the Maid’s Head Inn, Norwich, at which a petition to the House of Commons was adopted stating that the signatories were not in agreement with their brethren who had petitioned Parliament in opposition to Roman Catholic claims. Seventy signatures were appended. The other petition against the Bill for conceding the claims of the Roman Catholics was signed by the Bishop of Norwich and 200 clergy. A similar petition was adopted by the Corporation on May 3rd by thirty-three votes against six.—The intelligence that the Emancipation Bill had been rejected by the House of Lords was received in Norwich on May 19th with the ringing of the bells of St. Peter Mancroft and of the other churches in the city.
April 16th 1825
Died at Ryslip, near Uxbridge, the Right Hon. Lady Wodehouse, aged 77. She was the only surviving daughter of the Hon. Charles Berkeley, of Bruton Abbey, Somersetshire, niece of Lord Berkeley of Stratton, and the last of that branch of the Berkeley family. Her ladyship’s remains were interred at Kimberley on May 27th, when the funeral procession was headed by fifty mounted tenants on the estate.
April 18th 1825
A meeting of the citizens was held at St Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, by requisition, at which resolutions were adopted asking the legislature “to undertake at the earliest opportunity such a revision of the Corn Laws as may secure cultivators of the soil from a recurrence of those ruinous fluctuations in price which the present system has occasioned, and at the same time complete that liberal commercial policy in which progress has already been made.” A petition based on the resolution was prepared and presented to Parliament. It received 14,385 signatures.
April 21st 1825
Married at St. Giles’ Church, Norwich, by the Rev. C. J. Chapman, Lieut. Charles Thurtell, R.N., third son of Mr. Thomas Thurtell, alderman of Norwich, to Mrs. Dunham, of Chapel Field.
April 23rd 1825
“Died at Lynn, the Widow Oldershaw, aged 107.”
May 1st 1825
Four candidates were nominated at the Mayoral Election at Norwich. A poll was demanded, and the result was declared on the same day (Sunday) as follows:—Alderman Day, 679; Alderman Booth, 579; Alderman Leman, 152; Alderman Burt, 150. “It is somewhat singular that the father of the Mayor-elect was also chosen on a Sunday, May Day so falling in 1808.”
May 9th 1825
The Norwich Museum was opened at a house in the Upper Haymarket.
May 14th 1825
“The work of constructing the new Theatre was commenced, at Norwich, last week. Mr. Wilkins is the architect and patentee, and the site is nearly adjoining to the ground on which the present Theatre stands, and at the back of the green rooms.”
May 29th 1825
At Yarmouth Quarter Sessions, before the Recorder (Mr. Robert Alderson), Mary Neal, aged 42, Susan Neal (21), her daughter, and William Neal (18), son, were charged with attempting to murder the family of Mr. Hales, cordwainer, of Howard Street, Yarmouth, by poisoning them. It was alleged that the female prisoners persuaded William Neal, an apprentice of the prosecutor, to place arsenic in the food of his master’s family to avenge some fancied grievance. Mr. and Mrs. Hales and their children narrowly escaped death. Sentence of death, afterwards commuted to transportation, was recorded.
May 30th 1825
The members of a newly established club, called the Norwich Loyal Society, held their first anniversary dinner at the Wheat Sheaf Inn, Bethel Street, in commemoration of the birthday of Pitt.
June 6th 1825
The 2nd Dragoon Guards marched from Norwich for Hampton Court Barracks.
June 15th 1825
A cricket match was played at Litcham “with the six Alexanders, of Hingham, and the five Cushions, of Shipdham, on the one side, against the town of Litcham on the other.” The stakes, 22 sovereigns a-side, were won by the “families” by one wicket. The families, 55-88; Litcham, 82-60.
June 18th 1825
The last performances took place at the old Norwich Theatre. The pieces were “The Provoked Husband” and the farce “A Roland for an Oliver.” The concluding season had proved very productive to the patentee and the performers. The total amount accruing from the twenty benefits was £1,732, an average of £86 12s. exclusive of “ticket nights.”
June 20th 1825
A special meeting of the Yarmouth Corporation was held for the purpose of promoting the erection of a new church in the town. The sum of £1,500 was voted in aid of the fund, and a piece of land given as an eligible site.
June 21st 1825
Guild Day at Norwich. The aldermen, Sheriffs, and Town Clerk had breakfast with the Mayor-elect, Mr. T. S. Day, and afterwards went to the house of the Mayor (Mr. H. Francis), “their carriages passing through the newly-made opening in the city wall at the end of Pottergate Street, where an arch had been formed with boughs.” The subsequent procession to the Cathedral was headed by two bands of musicians and “Snap.” The guests at the Guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall numbered 450, and “the proceedings, from the excellence of the wines, were protracted till about eleven o’clock, when the worthy donor of the feast retired from the chair.”
June 30th 1825
Died at his house in Surrey Street, Norwich, Mr. William Manning, of Ormesby, in his 94th year. “This gentleman was the Father of the Magistracy of Norfolk, and had been 65 years on the commission.”
July 2nd 1825
The steam packet Lowther started from Yarmouth on a pleasure excursion to Rotterdam, and arrived at its destination at six o’clock on the evening of the 3rd. The vessel returned to Yarmouth on the 10th after a passage of 27 hours.
July 4th 1825
Madame Tussaud’s exhibition opened at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich.
July 4th 1825
The company of ringers at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, presented to Mr. Samuel Thurston “an elegant silver gilt jewel for his eminent services in composing the peal of 5,016 of Norwich Court, 12 in, and ringing the tenor in a superior style.”
July 11th 1825
Four troops of the Scots Greys (2nd North British Dragoons) marched into Norwich. “Their veteran colonel, Sir Thomas Pate Hankin, rode at the head of this very fine body of men and horses. Their excellent regimental band, including keyed bugles and kettledrums, played before them from their entrance at St Stephen’s Gates to the Cavalry Barracks.”
July 12th 1825
Mr. Thorogood, coachman and part proprietor, “completed his fourth year of driving the Times coach to London and back again to Norwich the next day without missing one single day. The total number of miles in four years, up and down—163,520.”
July 23rd 1825
Direct conveyance from Norwich to Boston by the Independence new coach was announced.
July 28th 1825
Eleven hundred persons were confirmed at Norwich Cathedral by the Bishop of the Diocese.
July 28th 1825
The peal of bells at St. Andrew’s Church, Norwich, increased from eight to ten, and re-hung by T. Hurry, was re-opened by ten of St. Peter Mancroft ringers.
July 30th 1825
(Advt.) “The annual main between the gentlemen of Norwich and Yarmouth will be fought at the Two-Necked Swan, Market Place, Yarmouth, on the race days, for £5 a battle and £25 the odd; to show 25 mains and six byes. Feeders: Lamb for Norwich; Steward for Yarmouth. The first pit will begin fighting at ten o’clock each morning before the racing.”
July 30th 1825
Died at Cowes, the Right Hon. the Earl of Craven, Lord Lieutenant of the county of Berks., Recorder of Coventry, and a lieutenant-general in the Army. His lordship, who was in his 55th year, married on December 12th, 1807, Miss Brunton, of Covent Garden Theatre, and formerly of the Norwich Company, and left issue Viscount Uffington, another son, and a daughter.
August 1st 1825
Lord Chief Justice Abbott and Lord Chief Baron Alexander, Judges of Assize, were received at Harford Bridge, Norwich, by the High Sheriff of Norfolk (Col. Harvey). “Being a member of the Corporation, the Mayor and his brethren determined to accompany him with the city Sheriffs, and a procession was formed in the following order:—Two blue coats on horseback; justices and aldermen of Norwich in their carriages; city Sheriffs’ officers on horseback; the Under Sheriff’s ditto; the Sheriffs in a carriage and four; two blue coats, with the castles, on horseback; two mace bearers, ditto; the Under-Chamberlain with small mace, ditto; the Mayor in his carriage with the Town Clerk and sword bearer; the High Sheriff’s trumpeters on horseback; his marshalmen, ditto; 24 javelin men, ditto, in dark blue liveries with orange cockades; the Under-Sheriff of Norfolk; the High Sheriff in his elegant carriage drawn by six fine brown horses, the coachman, postillions, and footmen in livery, with his chaplain, the Rev. Edward Bellman; servants on horseback; Sir Robert John Harvey and Mr. George Harvey, the High Sheriff’s sons, in a chariot. It is said that a similar procession has not taken place here for the last 100 years.”
August 2nd 1825
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich before Lord Chief Justice Abbott, the action Fellowes _v._ Steward, clerk, was tried, with the object of deciding whether the plaintiff had set out his tithe in a manner warranted by law. The plaintiff’s men cut the tithe wheat on seven acres of land, each man taking a strip or rig of land, and after cutting each strip returned and put his sheaves into shocks of ten each. The plaintiff’s bailiff set out the tithe by taking every tenth sheaf from the shock and placing it a yard or two from the rest. He then put a bough on every sheaf so laid apart, and replaced it in the shock whence he had taken it. The next day the sheaves, except those marked as tithe, were carted. Mr. Alderman Steward, of Norwich, who was acting as agent for his son, the rector of Saxlingham, stated that the corn should be tithed in sheaves before it was shocked. Mr. Fellowes endeavoured to prove that the corn had been set out according to the custom of the place. The Judge censured the plaintiff for adopting the method of separating the tithe corn from the other corn and mixing it with the shock again, as it opened the door to the practice of all kinds of fraud. The plaintiff was non-suited.
August 5th 1825
At the Norwich Assizes, before Lord Chief Justice Abbott, the _qui tam_ action Woodewis _v._ J. S. Patteson came on for trial. It was brought to recover a penalty of £100 under 3rd George IV., chap. 77, by which persons trading in excisable liquors were precluded from taking part, as magistrates, in licensing proceedings. It was alleged that Mr. Patteson interfered, on the application of the plaintiff, to have a house licensed for the sale of home-brewed beer and London porter in Fishgate Street, Norwich, nearly opposite one belonging to himself. The answer was that this was an attempt to fix a stigma on the character of Mr. Patteson. The Judge said the jury could find a verdict for the plaintiff without impeaching the character of the defendant. The jury returned the following verdict: “We give the plaintiff £100 damages; at the same time we entertain a very high opinion of the high honour and good faith of Alderman Patteson and the other gentlemen of the Corporation.”
August 6th 1825
Died at Ryde, Isle of Wight, Mr. John Lens, “his Majesty’s ancient Sergeant at Law,” aged 69. He was a native of Norwich, and was educated at the Free Grammar School.
August 6th 1825
Mr. Graham made a balloon ascent from Richmond Hill Gardens, Norwich, at 6.5 and descended at Beighton at 6.30 p.m. He made a second ascent on August 30th and descended at Earlham. He was advertised to ascend on September 6th in company with the High Sheriff, but the balloon was inadequate in lifting power. A second attempt was made on the 7th. Mr. Graham had to resign his place to Mrs. Graham, who successfully made the ascent with Col. Harvey, and descended in safety at Bradeston, near Brundall.
August 13th 1825
The governors of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital received from his Majesty the King a copy of Arnold’s edition of Handel’s works in 49 volumes “for the use of those engaged at the Musical Festival connected with the charity.”
August 22nd 1825
At a rent audit dinner held at Woodbastwick the tenants presented to Mr. John Cator a silver vase, of the value of £120, as “a token of regard and respect for his liberal abatement of rent during four years of unprecedented depreciation of agricultural produce, by which means they were able to continue in the occupation of their farms during the wreck and ruin of thousands, and now times are altered for the better, hope to be enabled to pay their rents and meet their landlord as before with money in their pockets, cheerful countenances, and grateful hearts.”
August 30th 1825
Election of freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich. The candidates were—Mr. James Brooks, jun., 865 votes; Mr. Alderman Springfield, 501; Mr. William Scott (“nominated with the view of dividing Mr. Brooks’s interest”), 0.
September 1st 1825
Mr. William Simpson, Chamberlain of the city of Norwich, was presented by the Corporation with a piece of plate, of the value of 100 guineas, in recognition of the able discharge of his official duties.
September 3rd 1825
“Died at Yarmouth, Mary, the wife of Mr. Clifford, of the Norwich Theatre, in her 55th year.”
September 10th 1825
The Swaffham and London new post coach was advertised to run from the Crown Inn, Swaffham, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at seven o’clock, and to return from the Three Nuns Inn, Aldgate, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings at the same hour. It performed the journey in twelve hours.
September 14th 1825
A piece of plate, of the value of £120, was presented to Mr. William Palgrave, of Yarmouth, by the manufacturers and merchants of Norwich, “to express their sense of his official conduct in regulating the drawback granted to them by the Government on the repeal of the duties on silk.”
September 23rd 1825
The Duke and Duchess of Clarence passed through Norwich. Their Royal Highnesses had luncheon at the Rampant Horse Inn, and afterwards proceeded on their way to Newmarket and London.
October 2nd 1825
Died, Mrs. Hannah Want, of Ditchingham, aged 106. “She was born August 20th, 1720. Till the day of her death she was not confined to her bed, and on the anniversary of her 105th birthday entertained a party of her relatives, who visited her to celebrate it. She lived to see a numerous progeny of the fifth generation, and at her death there were living children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren to the number of 121.”
October 4th 1825
Mr. Daniel Woods, surgeon to the Gressenhall House of Industry, and to sixteen of the surrounding parishes, was presented with a piece of plate by the Guardians of the Mitford and Launditch Hundred in recognition of his efficient services during the period of 36 years.
October 8th 1825
The Defiance Swaffham and London day coach was advertised to run to the Flower Pot Inn, Bishopsgate Street, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in twelve hours.
October 11th 1825
A shooting match for 200 sovereigns commenced at Holkham between Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., and Capt. Ross. Conditions: to shoot partridges; to toss for choice of ground on first day and exchange grounds on the second day; to load own guns and bag own game; and to have no other beaters than the dogs. On the first day Mr. Coke killed 54 and Capt. Ross 40 brace. The second day’s shooting took place on the 14th, when Capt. Ross had men to mark, beat, and pick up game. At the first day’s shooting, it was alleged, Mr. Coke inadvertently broke the rules of the match. Explanations followed, and bets were declared off.
October 17th 1825
The Rev. T. D. Atkinson, St. Mary’s, Thetford, was presented with a piece of plate by the parishioners, churchwardens, and others in recognition of his unwearied zeal as “a most exemplary parish priest.”
October 20th 1825
Messrs. Pettet’s Session Week Concerts at Norwich Theatre and the Hall Concert Room, St. George’s, commenced on this date. The principal vocalists were Mr. Phillips and Madame Caradori; leader of the band, Mr. Mori.
October 20th 1825
Died at his house, St. Clement’s, Norwich, aged 83, Dr. James Alderson. The funeral took place on October 27 in the Gildencroft burial-ground belonging to the Society of Friends.
October 20th 1825
A county meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, under the presidency of the High Sheriff, at which it was decided to petition Parliament “for the immediate mitigation of slavery throughout the British Colonies, and for its extinction at the earliest safe and practicable period in compliance with the resolutions of the House of Commons in May, 1823.”—The petition, which was presented in the House of Commons by Mr. Edmond Wodehouse on March 1st, 1826, received 17,125 signatures, and was 82 yards in length.
October 22nd 1825
Mr. James Vining, formerly of the Norwich Company, appeared at the Haymarket Theatre in the character of Octavian (“The Mountaineers”), and was favourably received.
October 23rd 1825
The Baron Von Bülan gave an address at the Old Meeting House, Norwich, as agent for a Continental society “for the distribution of Bibles and Christian instruction where Popery and infidelity prevail.”
October 25th 1825
The Magnet coach from London to Norwich was accidentally overturned in passing through the Eldon gate at Thetford, and one of the passengers, a widow from Hargham, was crushed to death by the vehicle falling upon her.
October 26th 1825
Died at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, aged 59, Lieut.-Col. Sir Thomas Pate Hankin, commanding the Scots Greys. He joined the regiment as cornet, July 21st, 1795; was promoted lieutenant, August 13th, 1796; captain, October 18th, 1798; major, April 4th, 1808; lieutenant-colonel in the Army, June 4th, 1814; and lieutenant-colonel commanding the regiment, October 11th, 1821. He was with that distinguished corps at the battle of Waterloo, when he received a severe wound in the knee. Previous to entering the Army he was a surgeon at Upwell in this county, and afterwards captain of the grenadier company of the Middlesex Militia. Sir Thomas was buried with military honours in the north transept of Norwich Cathedral on November 2nd.
November 3rd 1825
Thorogood, the driver of “The Times” coach, gave up the reins on this date, having held them since July 14th, 1822, “during which time he drove the coach every day to and from the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, and the Swan with Two Necks, Lad Lane, London, a distance of 116 miles without any accident of consequence, a task which we believe was never before performed by any man. In the above space of time he travelled 182,352 miles, independent of the distance he regularly walked, which could not have been less than a mile each day, as he always slept at the Blue Boar, Aldgate, when in London, and at the Bell, Orford Hill, when in Norwich.” Thorogood married on November 8th Miss M. Westall, of London.
November 4th 1825
H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, who was staying with Admiral Windham at Felbrigg, visited Cromer, when the inhabitants removed the horses from his carriage and dragged it through the town.
November 7th 1825
According to annual custom, a grand _battue_ took place at Holkham, when upwards of 700 head of game were shot. “Game has not been found so plentiful as in former seasons. The deficiency was in hares, of which not more than 220 have been shot in one day. In previous years upwards of 500 hares have been killed in the park in one day.”
November 12th 1825
The Norwich Society “for promoting the immediate mitigation and final abolition of slavery” was established at a meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. T. S. Day).
November 14th 1825
Married at Minto, Roxburghshire, Mr. J. P. Boileau, jun., eldest son of Mr. J. P. Boileau, of Mortlake, and of Tacolneston Hall, to Lady Catherine Elliott, daughter of the Earl of Minto.
November 14th 1825
Swaffham Coursing Meeting commenced with a very small attendance. “We have to regret the retirement of Lord Rivers, whose advanced age and infirm state of health have obliged him to relinquish his favourite pursuits. The superior greyhounds his lordship used to bring secured him the victory in almost every match he made—indeed, he was allowed to possess the best breed of greyhounds in the kingdom. The noble lord, during has coursing career, has been the winner of fourteen cups, and is the only member since the establishment of the Swaffham Coursing Meeting in 1779 who has won five cups at Swaffham, and this during the last eleven years, his lordship first entering in 1813. His greyhounds sold at Tattersall’s in May last for 1,029 guineas; with seven horses and two dog carts the amount was brought up to 1,339½ guineas, which sum his lordship generously presented to his servants. One dog, Rex, who has never been beaten, and also a bitch, as companion to this nonpariel, are retained by Lord Rivers as a memento of his celebrated kennel.”
November 21st 1825
A meeting of the Norwich and Norfolk Law Library was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which were adopted the rules and regulations drawn up by a committee appointed on December 3rd, 1824. The books were ordered to be deposited in a room in Institution Court, Upper Haymarket.
November 23rd 1825
The Norwich Association for Assisting in the Detection and Prosecution of Criminal Offenders was instituted at a meeting held at the Guildhall.
November 26th 1825
A meeting was held at the Angel Inn, Norwich, at which an association was formed for the protection of agriculture. It was known as the East Norfolk Agricultural Society, and Mr. Jehosaphat Postle was elected president.
November 26th 1825
A corn market was re-established at Wells-next-the-Sea.
November 28th 1825
The first annual meeting of subscribers to the Norfolk and Norwich Museum was held at the Guildhall, under the presidency of Sir James E. Smith. Rules for the management of the institution were adopted.
November 30th 1825
St. Andrew’s Day was celebrated by the Scots Greys at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich. A soldier dressed as St. Andrew was escorted from the city boundary to the barracks by a party of forty troopers in Highland dress, who called at the house of the Mayor, in Pottergate Street, and danced a reel. The festival was afterwards kept in a convivial manner at the barracks.
December 9th 1825
Mr. De Hague’s portrait, painted by Sir William Beechey, was hung in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
December 12th 1825
Died, aged 83, Mr. Burks, one of the proprietors of the “Norwich Mercury.”
December 16th 1825
Messrs. T. H. and W. Day, of the Norwich and Swaffham Bank, announced that they were compelled to suspend their payments. On the 17th it was made known that a docket had been struck preparatory to a commission of bankruptcy being issued against the firm.—Messrs. Fincham’s Bank at Diss stopped payment at about the same date owing to the sudden death of Mr. Benjamin Fincham on November 19th, but was re-opened on January 9th, 1826.
December 20th 1825
The Rev. Robert Forby, rector of Fincham, was found drowned in his bath. It was supposed that he was seized with sudden faintness while bathing.
December 27th 1825
Died at Tittleshall parsonage, the Rev. Dixon Hoste, aged 76, for many years an acting magistrate in the Hundred of Launditch.
December 28th 1825
A public meeting at Lynn approved a plan for constructing a bridge and embankment over the Cross Keys Wash, in order to establish direct communication between the whole of Norfolk and part of Suffolk with Lincolnshire and the north of England.
December 31st 1825
Wombwell exhibited his menagerie on the Castle Hill, Norwich, and advertised as an attraction “the two unequalled lions, Nero and Wallace, the same who fought and conquered the dogs at Warwick.”