January 1st 1824
At a public meeting, held at Calvert Street chapel, it was decided to erect a second Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Norwich. A subscription was opened, and £600 contributed. The foundation-stone of the new (Lady Lane) chapel was laid on April 14th by the Rev. William Gilpin, superintendent of the Norwich circuit; and the building was opened for worship on October 21st by the Rev. R. Newton, president of the Methodist Conference, the Rev. John Anderson, of London, and the Rev. Mr. Farrar, of Leeds.
January 2nd 1824
Persistent efforts were made this year to obtain the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich. At a meeting of the county magistrates on January 2nd, it was decided to present an address to the Lord Chancellor and Mr. Secretary Peel, representing the inconvenience and ill consequences resulting from the then existing arrangement. At a quarterly assembly of the Corporation of Norwich on February 24th, a committee was appointed to co-operate with the county justices, and a petition to the House of Commons and a memorial to the Lord Chancellor were prepared. On June 5th the city petition received the seal of the Mayor, and on June 11th Lord Suffield, in the House of Lords, presented the petition from the Norfolk magistrates. It stated that the prisoners were carried in open carts through the towns and villages, guarded by soldiers, and “it was not long since that they were exhibited as sights, one shilling being charged to see convicts of the second and third degree, and two shillings or more for condemned felons.” There was a dungeon at Thetford, thirteen feet below the surface of the ground, measuring eighteen feet by nine feet, and eight and a half feet in height, and in this cell upon one occasion no less than seventeen persons were placed to sleep. The Lord Chancellor intimated that the subject was under consideration, and the petition was ordered to be printed. On August 7th the announcement was made that the Lieutenant of the county had received a letter from the Lord Chancellor, stating that the twelve Judges had unanimously decided against the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford. At the Summer Assizes on August 11th, the Grand Jury for the county presented an address to the Judges expressing regret at their decision, and pointing out that the chief benefits contemplated by the recent Act of Parliament for the regulation of gaols must be in a great degree frustrated by a continuance of the then state of things in Norfolk. “The late city calendar,” said the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, “furnishes no less than three cases of exceptional long confinement before trial; namely, one person for more than twelve months, who has been acquitted, and two others in custody upwards of eleven months against whom no true bills were found.”
January 16th 1824
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions at Norwich, the magistrates agreed that the whole of Mr. Wilkin’s plan for erecting a new gaol at Norwich Castle be carried into execution. It was understood that the entire cost of the Shirehall and prison would not exceed £46,000.
January 24th 1824
Great sensation was caused in Norwich by the trial and execution at Hertford of John Thurtell for the murder of Mr. Wear on October 24th, 1823. The execution took place on January 9th, and on the 24th was published in the NORFOLK CHRONICLE a letter received by Mr. Alderman Thomas Thurtell, of Norwich, the father of the culprit, from Mr. Robert Sutton, High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, in which the writer commiserated with him in his great affliction. In the same paper was another letter addressed by Mr. N. Bolingbroke, of Norwich, to the High Sheriff of Hertfordshire, in which he wrote: “It may appear to some that he (the father) has not acted with sufficient kindness of feeling towards his unhappy son; but you may be assured, Sir, that there was no part of his conduct which could not be satisfactorily explained. He has generally acted under the advice of Mr. Unthank, a respectable solicitor in this city, my own, and others. There are many actions in a man’s life of which no correct opinion can be formed without a knowledge of the motives by which such have been influenced.”
January 29th 1824
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of Lieut.-Col. Harvey, supported by Mr. E. Wodehouse, M.P., and Mr. T. F. Buxton, M.P., it was agreed to petition Parliament to carry into effect the resolutions passed in the previous Session of the House of Commons on the subject of colonial slavery.
February 2nd 1824
A fine ship called the Colville, built for the India trade, was launched from the shipyard of Mr. William Bottomley, at Lynn.
February 4th 1824
Thirty-two half ankers of Geneva, sixteen casks of tobacco, and six casks of tea were discovered in a vault in a plantation belonging to Lord Suffield by the coastguard stationed at Mundesley.
February 7th 1824
“In Norfolk the number of miles of turnpike road is 271. The income per mile is £38; the expenditure per mile, £26; excess of income over expenditure, £12.”
February 7th 1824
“The following notice appeared in a Norwich paper about 60 years ago and affords a curious instance of the then stage coach celerity: ‘A wain will set off on Thursday from Norwich early in the morning and be in London on Saturday evening.’ Our coaches now perform the journey in 14 hours, and our fly waggons in 24 hours!”
February 19th 1824
The eight bells of St. Margaret’s church, Lynn, hung by Messrs. T. and J. Hurry, of Norwich, were opened.
February 24th 1824
To effect improvements in Willow Lane, Norwich, and to lay open to view the churchyard of St. Giles’, a lease was granted by the Corporation to Mr. Edward Browne, Messrs. Fountain and Cattermoul, Mr. William De Carle, and Mr. J. Wright, of certain premises in that lane, for a term of 99 years at the yearly rental of £42, they covenanting to lay out from £3,000 to £4,000 on the erection of suitable buildings under the direction of the Corporation Surveyor.
February 28th 1824
“Died, lately, in St. Giles’, Norwich, aged 78, Mr. Benjamin Guyton, who for many years followed what may justly be called the first of occupations—a gardener and horticulturist. His skill in the knowledge and properties of plants and vegetables could only be equalled by his ingenuity in delineating with his pencil the curious productions of nature, particularly those of the insect tribe. Some few specimens of his art, in the various species of papilio, are in the possession of some gentlemen in this city, who knew how to appreciate merit though found in an obscure individual moving in a humble sphere of life.”
February 28th 1824
Died, “greatly and justly esteemed by all his old comrades and friends,” Capt. John Borrow, many years adjutant of the First or West Norfolk Regiment of Militia.
March 3rd 1824
At a meeting of manufacturers and others at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. John Harvey, resolutions were adopted expressing satisfaction with the proposal of the Government to reduce the duties on raw and thrown silks as well as on foreign wools; but they viewed with surprise and alarm the proposal to allow the free exportation of British wool, “as a consequence of supplying foreigners with the raw material must be to throw out of employment many thousands of the labouring poor.”
March 6th 1824
Intelligence was received at Lynn of the death, which occurred on the 5th, of the Marquis of Titchfield, M.P. A writ for the election of a new member was moved for in the House of Commons on the 9th, and two candidates, Lord John C. Bentinck, eldest brother of the deceased marquis, and successor to the title, and Sir William Browne ffolkes, Bart., immediately issued addresses. The election took place on March 19th. “Sir William ffolkes, after leaving the hustings, was carried in a chair round the Market Place and down High Street, he addressed the crowd from the window of his committee-room, and threw amongst them a large quantity of silver coin, which was eagerly scrambled for.” The result of the polling was declared as follows: Marquis of Titchfield; 177; Sir William ffolkes, 89.
March 11th 1824
A meeting of the manufacturers, merchants, and others interested in the silk trade was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. Alderman Roberts, to take into consideration the resolutions passed by the House of Commons relative to alterations in the silk duties. A resolution was moved to the effect that the meeting viewed with satisfaction the measures proposed for the extension of the silk manufactory, “but the object could not fully be attained by the proposed immediate remission of so great a proportion of the duties on raw and thrown silks.” It was advocated that endeavours be made to obtain compensation for the loss sustained upon stocks of manufactured goods, and a petition to Parliament embodying that view was adopted. On April 5th “an unusual scene was witnessed in Norwich, that being the last day on which manufacturers of the city warehoused their raw and foreign silk in order to obtain the drawback according to the late decision of Parliament. The number of pieces of bombazines and crapes bonded was about 40,000, which may be averaged at 7s. 6d. each, and the total amount of the drawback will be £30,000. Such of the goods as are for exportation are already returned to the owners, and an order is expected in a few days for the delivery of those intended for the home trade. By this arrangement, which was recommended to Government by a gentleman deputed from Norwich, little time will be lost, and the manufacturer will obtain the relief which, but for its adoption, would, under the late alteration of the law, have proved highly injurious to many of our fellow citizens.” On June 23rd a dinner was given at the Rampant Horse Inn by the merchants and manufacturers to Mr. John Harvey, Mr. E. T. Booth, and Mr. T. O. Springfield, “for the zeal and ability with which they promoted the interests of the trade, and for their successful exertions in obtaining the drawback.”
March 11th 1824
Died at his house in Chapel Field, Norwich, in his 71st year, Mr. John Clayton Hindes, many years manager of the Norwich Theatre. “His loss is sincerely deplored by his relatives and friends and many others whose necessities have been relieved by his benevolent hand.”
March 11th 1824
Died at Uxbridge, Mrs. F. E. Horne, widow of the Right Rev. George Horne, D.D., formerly Bishop of Norwich.
March 17th 1824
The Norwich Penny Library “having after 12 months’ experience proved its worth,” it was resolved at a general meeting of subscribers, presided over by Mr. William Youngman, that it be placed on a permanent footing by public subscription. The library room was at Mr. Daines’s, St. Michael-at-Coslany.
April 2nd 1824
At a public meeting held at Lynn, the Mayor presiding, it was resolved that a gas company be formed. The shares were fixed at £20 each, and Mr. John James Coulton appointed secretary and agent.
April 3rd 1824
Died at the house of his son-in-law (Mr. H. Dowson, of Geldeston), aged 65, the Rev. Pendlebury Houghton. “He received his education at Warrington at the time Dr. Atkin was the classical teacher there, and after the completion of his studies continued there one year as assistant classical tutor. He first settled as minister at Dob Lane, near Manchester, whence he removed to Shrewsbury, and in 1787 was chosen a pastor, with Dr. Enfield, of the Unitarian congregation in Norwich. On the death of Dr. Enfield in 1797 he became sole minister. In 1808 he succeeded Mr. Jervis at Prince’s Street, Westminster, and in 1811 returned to Norwich. In 1812 his was invited to become joint pastor with Mr. Yates, of the congregation in Paradise Street, Liverpool, where he continued till 1823, when he retired from his ministerial labours.”
April 7th 1824
At a meeting held at Norwich, it was agreed “that the Rosary burial-ground having been duly entered at the office of the Bishop of the Diocese, and therein designated a general burial-ground for the use of persons of all sects and denominations, shall be invested in trustees on behalf of those who may become the holders of shares, to be limited to 500.”
April 8th 1824
A performance was given at Norwich Theatre by the Stagorians. “The stage exhibited the appearance of the interior of a Stagorian lodge, and presented a spectacle at once novel and striking. In accordance with the principles of the assembled brethren the ceremony opened with ‘God save the King,’ and closed with the last verse of that same loyal strain. The whole was conducted and well supported by Mr. Hudson, treasurer of the lodge No. 2, Independent, who sang a song in so good a style that the audience testified their approbation by loud and repeated cheerings.”
April 9th 1824
Died, suddenly, in the Fleet Prison, the Rev. John Cross Morphew, rector of Cley and of Walpole St. Peter.
April 10th 1824
(Advt.) “Mr. Edward Painter informs his friends and the public that his horse, the celebrated Tam o’ Shanter, will be shown upon Norwich Hill this day, and every Saturday during the season, at 12 o’clock. His trotting and other paces the proprietor leaves for the public at large to be their own judges, as puffing is quite out of the question. N.B.—Tam o’ Shanter will be found at the White Hart, St. Peter’s, Norwich.”
April 10th 1824
“Miss Bathurst, daughter of the late Mr. Benjamin Bathurst, and granddaughter of the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, was riding in Rome on horseback, accompanied by Lord and Lady Aylmer and the Duc de Montmorency, when her horse slipped down the steep bank into the Tiber, and with its rider was washed away, and never seen again.” The body of Miss Bathurst was recovered on September 26th.
April 10th 1824
The proprietors of the Expedition coach started new coaches, called the Magnet, which ran from the Swan Inn and Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, each afternoon at four o’clock and arrived in London at seven in the morning. The return coach left the Golden Cross, Charing Cross, at six p.m., called at the White Horse, Fetter Lane, at 6.20, the Cross Keys, Wood Street, at 6.30, “cleared” from the Flower Pot and Bull Inns at seven o’clock, and arrived at Norwich at nine the next morning.
April 10th 1824
The following malefactors were executed at Thetford: James Reeve for rape; Miles Wiseman for shooting at and wounding William Everett, gamekeeper, at Rackheath; and Robert Gibson for sheep stealing. “The body of Wiseman was buried at Hardingham churchyard, whence it was stolen by resurrection men, who had been observed lurking about the chief part of the previous day.”
April 15th 1824
Wombwell’s National Menagerie was exhibited at Tombland Fair, Norwich. It was described as “the greatest variety of living animals ever collected together since the days of Noah.”
April 16th 1824
Died at Caister, near Norwich, Francis Neale, in the 100th year of his age.
April 21st 1824
Died at Harley Street, Cavendish Square, aged 71, Mr. John Dixon, of Rainham Hall, Norwich, and of Gledhow, Yorkshire, Colonel of the West York Militia.
April 25th 1824
The organ at North Walsham church was opened with a recital given by Mr. E. Pettet, of Norwich.
April 29th 1824
The members of the three Church of England Societies, namely for the Education of the Poor, for Promoting Christian Knowledge, and for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, had their “first united anniversary” dinner at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich. The Deputy Mayor, Mr. Robert Hawkes, presided.
May 1st 1824
Mr. Henry Francis was elected Mayor of Norwich.
May 5th 1824
Died at an advanced age, Mrs. Windham, widow of the Right Hon. William Windham, of Felbrigg.
May 6th 1824
The second anniversary dinner of the Swaffham Rat Society was held at the George Inn, in that town. The report stated: “From the time the ferrets re-commenced their operations in October, 1823, assisted by the terriers, the total number of rats killed up to May 6th was 1,140, which added to last year’s return makes 2,947 rats exterminated in the course of twelve months.”
May 8th 1824
“The King has granted William Lukin, Esq., Rear-Admiral of the White Squadron of his Majesty’s Fleet, to take, use, and bear the arms of Windham, in memory of his uncle, the Right Hon. William Windham, of Felbrigg Hall.” (By the death of Mrs. Windham Admiral Windham came into possession of the estates of his late uncle.)
May 8th 1824
“We understand that there are at this time persons stationed upon the road between Norwich and London for the purpose of giving information against the proprietors of coaches carrying more than the number of passengers allowed by Act of Parliament, or any waggon or van carrying passengers without being duly licensed.”
May 10th 1824
A prize fight took place near Arminghall between Nicholls and Thompson, of Norwich. “The battle lasted upwards of two hours, and both men displayed better bottom than science.”
May 10th 1824
For the benefit of the manager of Norwich Theatre (Mr. Smith), his younger son, Mr. J. Smith, appeared as Selico in “The Africans.”
May 15th 1824
“A gentleman from Lynn for a wager shot 20 dozen rooks with an air gun, which he loaded himself, in the course of a day. He commenced shooting at half-past six in the morning, and finished his task in a masterly manner at four o’clock in the afternoon, in the rookery belonging to Mr. John Lloyd, of Pentney.”
May 15th 1824
(Advt.) “Cocking. To be fought at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, on May 31st and two following days, three double days’ play of cocks for £5 a battle and £100 the odd, between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Yarmouth. Feeders: Stafford for Norwich, Anson for Yarmouth.”
May 15th 1824
The Magnet coach from London to Norwich had just crossed the bridge at Chesterford, Essex, when, owing to the swollen state of the river, the arch burst with a tremendous crash. Another coach was approaching, and received a lantern warning from the guard of the Magnet. The up Magnet coach from Norwich crossed the bridge shortly before its demolition but got off the road into a swamp. The passengers had to climb out upon the roof and remained there while the water flowed through the windows. The coach was dragged out by a strong team of cart horses. A public subscription was started in Norwich to reward the guard of the Magnet.
May 22nd 1824
Townshend, the pedestrian, commenced a walk of 64 miles per day of sixteen hours for six successive days. He started from Swaffham at 4.30 a.m., passed through Watton at 6.30, through Dereham at 8.30, and arrived at Swaffham at noon, and completed the same journey in the afternoon. (No further record.)
May 27th 1824
Died, Mrs. M. Jones, of the Theatre Royal, Norwich, in her 61st year, “after long and patient suffering under one of the most tormenting of human disorders.” She was a daughter of the Rev. Nathaniel Gerard, rector of Waxham and vicar of Palling, and of Whepstead Rectory, Suffolk.
May 28th 1824
Six officers of the 8th Hussars rowed in Capt. Cartwright’s six-oared boat from Norwich to Yarmouth in four hours against the tide, and returned in four and a half hours with a strong stream against them.
May 29th 1824
The Ottawa, 320 tons, intended as a passage vessel from London to Quebec, was launched from the yard of Messrs. John and Thomas Douglas, at Yarmouth.
May 31st 1824
The Mayor of Norwich (Mr. J. S. Patteson), with the Sheriffs, magistrates, and aldermen went in procession from the Guildhall to the site of the new gaol outside St. Giles’ Gates, and laid the foundation-stone. Several gold, silver, and copper coins were deposited in the stone, “and the whole was cemented with mortar and fastened with lead poured in boiling hot.” The proceedings were witnessed by hundreds of spectators, one of whom, “a person of respectability, had his pocket picked of a gold watch, chain, and seals.”
June 3rd 1824
Died, on his return from Madeira, aged 29, Dr. Thomas Martineau.
June 4th 1824
The 3rd Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry was inspected at Sprowston at the conclusion of permanent duty at Norwich.
June 7th 1824
The Yarmouth Yeomanry Cavalry, commanded by Sir E. K. Lacon, Bart., were inspected by Major Deare, 8th Hussars, after permanent duty.
June 7th 1824
Townshend, the pedestrian, “undertook to pick up with his mouth, on Monday last, from the ground in Finches’ Gardens, 300 stones placed one yard apart and to deposit the same in a basket in eleven successive hours, being a distance of 51 miles 540 yards.” The feat was performed sixteen minutes within the time. On June 14th he undertook to walk 40 miles backwards in ten hours at the same Gardens, but failed owing to the unfavourable state of the weather.
June 8th 1824
The commissioners appointed under the Norwich Paving Act determined to apply to Parliament for leave to bring in a Bill for amending the Act and for raising additional funds.
June 8th 1824
A prize fight took place at Poringland between Fenn and Camplin, of Norwich. Three thousand persons were present, and 76 rounds fought. The contest terminated in favour of Fenn.
June 9th 1824
McMullon, a youth of sixteen, at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich, walked 12½ miles in two hours; and on the 14th walked forty miles in eight hours.
June 16th 1824
Died at Gissing, aged 86, Mr. J. Hunt, surgeon, and founder of the Ebenezer Chapel in Ber Street, Norwich. “He was a man of extraordinary piety and extensive benevolence, who was singularly infatuated by a diversity of religious opinions as to render his character in the highest degree eccentric. Having successively embraced the profession of Presbyterian, Independent, Anabaptist, Swedenborgian, Unitarian, and Methodist, he recently founded and endowed a chapel at Gissing to a profession made up of a heterogeneous mixture of doctrines. That nothing might be wanting to complete his religious character he was a constant attendant on the worship of the parish church, keeping his meeting closed on those occasions, and a regular communicant with the minister of the parish till a short time before his death, when his advanced age and increasing infirmities precluded the possibility of his attendance.”
June 17th 1824
A trotting match took place on St. Stephen’s Road, Norwich, the best two of three one mile heats, between a pony belonging to Mr. Durrant, of the Norfolk Hotel, and a pony the property of Mr. Davey, horse dealer. The former won easily.
June 17th 1824
The 8th Hussars marched from Norwich Barracks for Ipswich.
June 19th 1824
“One day last week Messrs. James Stannard, T. Turner, Samuel Poll, and Alfred Stannard, four oars, rowed from Norwich to Yarmouth and back in eight hours, notwithstanding wind and tide were full against them in crossing Breydon.”
June 19th 1824
The season’s benefits at Norwich Theatre were announced to have been as follow: Mr. Smith, £125; Mr. Chippendale, £39; Mr. Vining, £114; Mr. Beacham, £89; Miss Pindar, £40; Mr. G. Smith, £70; Mr. Harrison, £46; Mr. Clifford, £67; Mr. and Mrs. Sloman, £156; Mr. Benson, £69; the Misses Glover, £91; Mr. Crook, £63; Miss Wensley, £72; Miss Mason, £74; Mr. and Mrs. Hamerton, £51; Mr. Brundall, £45; Mr. Wharton, £41; Mr. Mueller, £62; Mr. Thorne, £28; Miss Tubby, £99; Mr. Hunt, £78; Mr. Chippendale (second benefit), £57. The total amount was £1,556; average, £70 14s. 9¾d.
June 22nd 1824
Guild Day at Norwich. The Mayor-elect, Mr. Henry Francis, entertained 806 guests at the guild feast, and the ball at Chapel Field House was fully attended. The streets in the parish of St. Stephen’s, where the Mayor resided, were decorated.
June 29th 1824
Great rejoicings took place at Costessey in celebration of the elevation to the peerage of Sir George Jerningham, Bart., by the title of Baron Stafford, of Stafford Castle, in Staffordshire, of Shiffnall in Shropshire, and of Costessey in Norfolk. A large cavalcade attended by a band of music proceeded to Easton, where Lord and Lady Stafford and their daughters were received with enthusiastic cheering and escorted to Costessey Hall. Sheep were roasted, 500 loaves of bread distributed, and many barrels of beer consumed.
July 7th 1824
At a meeting, presided over by Dr. Yelloly, at the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, the medical men of the city decided “to form a union between the two previously existing societies in order to render more efficient the circulation of medical books, and the establishment of a medical library in Norwich.”
July 12th 1824
Meetings of Loyal Orange Societies, No. 50, held at the Waggon and Horses, Tombland, and No. 213 at the Waterloo Tavern, St. Stephen’s, Norwich, celebrated the anniversary of the battle of the Boyne.
July 14th 1824
A severe thunderstorm occurred at Norwich after a period of very sultry weather. “Almost immediately after the tempest a cloud of immense magnitude and extreme density, having the appearance of a mass of snow, passed over the city. Drifting with a strong westerly wind it was so low as to envelope a considerable portion of the Cathedral spire. Its passage was attended with a very curious phenomenon. The current of the river, which had previously been sluggish, suddenly became very rapid, as if propelled by the irruption of some mighty flood. This acceleration lasted about ten minutes, the cloud having once passed over, the stream gradually resumed its former rate of progression.”
July 15th 1824
Died at his residence, Catton Place, aged 58, Mr. Joseph Fitch, who served the office of Sheriff of Norwich in 1808.
July 16th 1824
A troop of the 2nd Queen’s Dragoon Guards, commanded by Capt. Kearney, marched into Norwich Barracks, and were followed by three other troops. “This fine regiment, whose uniform is free from modern finery, and has a truly British appearance, is commanded by Lieut.-Col. Kearney. They were the first regiment who occupied the Norwich Barracks after their erection in the year 1793.”
July 22nd 1824
The new Union steamboat intended for passenger traffic between Lynn and Cambridge made her first voyage. “She is 72 feet long, 12 wide, carries 100 passengers, and is propelled by two engines. Her paddles are in the stern; they communicate with the boiler and engine by means of long rods through more than half the length of the vessel.”
July 30th 1824
Died at her house in the Close, Norwich, aged 65, Mrs. Dickens, wife of Mr. W. H. Dickens. “She was the widow of the late Mr. William Crowe, of Lakenham, who on his death bed enjoined her to marry Capt. Dickens immediately after his (Mr. Crowe’s) decease.”
July 31st 1824
(Advt.) “To the corn growers of the county of Norfolk. Gentlemen, the merchants of Norwich having honoured me by accepting the Pantheon, in which to hold their corn market, permit me to acquaint you the same will be held at the Pantheon, Ranelagh Gardens, during their pleasure.—W. Finch.” The removal of the corn market to the Pantheon was rendered necessary by the alterations in progress at the Hall in preparation for the first Triennial Musical Festival. On August 14th a meeting of millers, merchants, and corn growers was held at the Norfolk Hotel, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the best means of erecting a Corn Exchange.” Mr. J. Culley presided, and resolutions were adopted in favour of the proposal, the required amount to be raised in £100 shares. A committee was appointed to ask the county magistrates to grant a site “within the iron railing on the north side of the Castle Hill, in the intermediate space between the road leading from Messrs. Gurney’s Bank on the right to the opening from Davey Steps on the left.” A further meeting was held on October 23rd, at which it was reported that the magistrates declined to accede to the request, but that the Corporation of Norwich had agreed “that a piece of ground on the Castle Meadow, in length 130 feet and in breadth 70 feet, be granted to the corn merchants for a term of 99 years at the yearly rent of £10, for the purpose of building thereon a corn exchange.” A meeting was held on November 1st, at which it was decided to accept the offer, and to issue shares of £50 each to the amount of £2,000. (_See_ February 24th, 1825.)
August 4th 1824
In consequence of a requisition the Mayor of Norwich convened a meeting at the Guildhall to consider the subject of establishing a botanical garden in the neighbourhood of Norwich. Resolutions were adopted in favour of the scheme, which was introduced by Dr. Yelloly.
August 4th 1824
Died at Norwich, aged 72, Mr. John Funnell Goldsmith Atkinson, solicitor. “He was devotedly attached to the constitution in Church and State, and was in reality the character which has often been drawn of Honest John Bull.”
August 11th 1824
At the Norfolk Assizes at Norwich, before Sir William Alexander, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, came on the action Howard _v._ Howes. The plaintiff sought to substantiate his right to the exclusive enjoyment of a pew in the parish church of Fundenhall. He and his father had occupied it since 1787 until disturbed in such occupation by the defendant on November 2nd, 1823. Verdict for the plaintiff, damages 1s.—At the same Assizes, a similar action, Reader _v._ Bloom, was tried, and damages claimed for assault. The declaration set forth that the defendant on August 31st, 1823, at Wells, “did grievously with his hands and feet assault the plaintiff,” a maiden lady, in the same town, to whom had been bequeathed a house, which, it was supposed, entitled her to the use of a certain pew in the parish church. Defendant contested the right, locked the pew, and nailed over the door a piece of wood to prevent entry thereto. When plaintiff endeavoured to effect an entrance Mr. Bloom kicked her legs and nipped her arm. The defence was that the plaintiff first “clapperclawed” the defendant. The jury returned a verdict for plaintiff, damages 1s.
August 31st 1824
An election took place at Norwich for the office of freemen’s Sheriff. Mr. Charles Turner was nominated in the “Purple and Orange,” and Mr. T. O. Springfield in the “Blue and White” interest. “About an hour after the poll had commenced it was announced to Mr. Turner’s committee that the ‘Blue and Whites’ were giving 5s. for each vote. This information caused the ‘Purple and Orange’ party also to unloose their purse strings, and the cash was paid down on both sides to all who would receive it.” Result of the poll: Turner, 1,165; Springfield, 929.
September 5th 1824
Died, aged 73, Mrs. Death, widow of Mr. Thomas Death, of the Theatre Royal, Norwich, and of Covent Garden, London.
September 11th 1824
St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, was for the first time lighted with gas in preparation for the Musical Festival. “The pure bright flame that issued from the numerous gas burners communicated a lustre to every part of the edifice more evident, perhaps, than what it receives from the light of day.”
September 17th 1824
Married at St. Martin’s-in-the-Fields, London, Mr. William Henry Brundall to Miss Priscilla Mason, both formerly of the Theatre Royal, Norwich.
September 19th 1824
Died at Chelsea, Mr. Henry Cooper, barrister, aged 39. The son of an eminent Norwich barrister, he went to sea with Nelson, and as a boy was present at the battle of the Nile. He early quitted the naval profession for that of the law, and was afterwards appointed Attorney-General of the Bermudas. On the appointment of Mr. Sergeant Blosset to the Chief Justiceship of Bengal, Mr. Cooper, who was then rapidly rising on the Norfolk circuit, became one of the leaders.
September 21st 1824
The first Triennial Musical Festival, “for the benefit of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital,” commenced on this date. On the evenings of the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd a miscellaneous concert was given at St. Andrew’s Hall; on the mornings of the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th oratorios were performed in the same building; and on the evening of the 24th a ball took place. The principal vocal performers were Mrs. Salmon, Miss Stephens, Miss Carew, Madame Renzi De Begnes, Mr. Vaughan, M. Sapio, Mr. Bellamy, Mr. Edward Taylor, of Norwich (in place of Mr. F. Novello, absent through family bereavement), Mr. Terrail, Master Kempton, and Signor De Begnes. Sir George Smart was the conductor. The Festival was attended by H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, who was the guest of the Bishop of Norwich. The receipts amounted to £6,695, and the amount given to the Hospital was £2,411 4s. 2d. At a quarterly assembly of the Corporation on September 27th, the freedom of the city was voted to Sir George Smart, “for the eminent services rendered by him to the city and county as conductor of the late Musical Festival”; and the Corporation further agreed to purchase the organ erected for the occasion in St. Andrew’s Hall by Mr. Grey, for the sum of 280 guineas.
September 29th 1824
Races were held at East Dereham, and were well attended by “beauty and fashion.”
October 14th 1824
The premises of Mr. Ling, upholsterer and cabinet maker, Bridewell Alley, Norwich, were destroyed by fire. The terrified prisoners were removed from their cells in the Bridewell adjoining and conveyed to the City Gaol, and all the property that could be saved from the burning premises was taken into St. Andrew’s church. The 2nd Dragoon Guards were called out to preserve order, and the staff of the West Norfolk Militia assembled under arms. “Owing to the goods being stored in St. Andrew’s church it was impossible to hold service there on Sunday.”
October 15th 1824
Died, in his 88th year, Mr. Robert Priest, of St. James’ Street, Norwich. He was for many years treasurer to the Charity Schools, and in 1786 paid the fine on declining the office of Sheriff.
October 21st 1824
Died of consumption, in his 24th year, at Little Baddow, Essex, the Rev. Stephen Morell, “pastor of the Christian Society at the Old Meeting House, Norwich.”
October 26th 1824
Mrs. Sloman, formerly of the Norwich Company, made her first appearance at Covent Garden as Belvedera in “Venice Preserved.” The “Times” described the performance as “more than respectable—in many parts excellent”; and the “Morning Herald” stated that “it was the most promising tragic _début_ since the days of Miss O’Neil, and the applause at the dropping of the curtain was long, loud, and universal.” Mrs. Sloman was subsequently engaged by the managers of Covent Garden for three years at a high salary.
November 7th 1824
William Brownsell, many years in the service of Mr. William Mason, of Necton, was accidentally shot in his master’s plantation by a spring gun. He lay in dreadful agony all night and died soon after being found next morning.
November 15th 1824
A private watch instituted and maintained by the inhabitants of St. Stephen’s, Norwich, commenced its duties.
November 15th 1824
A prize fight took place near Mattishall between Mike Fenn and John Short, of Norwich. “After 14 rounds Fenn was so dreadfully beaten that he was carried off the ground in a state of insensibility.” Two thousand persons were present.
November 20th 1824
“Died at East Dereham last week a poor woman of the name of Rumble, aged 103 years. She retained her faculties till within a month of her decease.”
December 3rd 1824
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Mayor, it was resolved to establish a law library in the city.
December 11th 1824
The prospectus of a plan for establishing a “Museum of Natural History, Antiquity, &c.” in Norwich was issued in accordance with a resolution passed at a meeting held a short time previously under the chairmanship of Mr. John Harvey.
December 14th 1824
The London, Yarmouth, and Norwich Steampacket Company announced the completion of a new vessel, called the City of Norwich, for the London and Yarmouth trade. A considerable portion of the stock of this company was raised in Norwich and Yarmouth.
December 15th 1824
Married at East Dereham, by the Rev. C. H. Wollaston, Mr. Fisher, jun., of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians, to Sarah, third daughter of Mr. William Howard.
December 15th 1824
A meeting was held at the King’s Arms Inn, North Walsham, at which it was resolved to carry into immediate execution the Act of Parliament for the construction of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal.
December 17th 1824
Concerts were given on the 17th and 18th at Norwich Theatre under the management of Messrs. Pettet. The performers included Signor and Madame Renzi De Begnes and Miss Paton.
December 20th 1824
Signor Antonio, “generally called Il Diavolo Antonio,” commenced an engagement at the Norwich Assembly Room in an entertainment consisting of gymnastic exercises, feats of strength, juggling, and fantoccini.
December 20th 1824
Died at his house in St. Giles’, Norwich, the Rev. Thomas Deeker, M.A., 66 years vicar of Bawdsey, Suffolk, rector of St. Simon and Jude, Norwich, perpetual curate of St. Margaret and St. Swithin, and chaplain of the county gaol.
December 23rd 1824
Married at Norwich, by the Rev. George Carter, M.A., Mr. James Archibald Murray, solicitor, under secretary to the Master of the Rolls, and second son of Mr. Charles Murray, of John Street, Bedford Row, London, to Elizabeth Powell, youngest daughter of Capt. R Browne, of the Precincts, Norwich Cathedral.
December 29th 1824
A new Masonic Hall was “dedicated” at Yarmouth by Deputy Provincial Grand Master Ives and the officers of the Grand Lodge of the Province.