January 1st 1823
At the Norwich Adjourned Quarter Sessions, the magistrates decided to build a new gaol on a piece of ground outside St. Giles’ Gates. On February 23rd the Corporation granted to the justices a lease of the site, five acres in extent, for 500 years, at the annual rent of £50. At a full assembly of the magistrates on August 26th the tenders of Messrs. Mears and Blyth for building the new gaol in accordance with plans prepared by Mr. Barnes, for the sum of £17,395, were accepted.
January 2nd 1823
The coming of age of Mr. Henry Jerningham, eldest son of Sir George and Lady Jerningham, was celebrated at Costessey Park with great rejoicings.
January 3rd 1823
Pursuant to requisition signed by 540 occupiers of land, &c., in the county the High Sheriff of Norfolk (Sir R. P. Jodrell), convened a meeting at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the severe and unprecedented distresses of agriculture and the best means of relieving them.” The High Sheriff presided, supported by the county members, Mr. T. W. Coke and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse. Mr. Cobbett was in the body of the Hall, and great confusion prevailed at intervals. Mr. Alderman Thurtell moved a string of resolutions in favour of the reduction of taxation and the abolition of needless and, therefore, useless places, pensions, and sinecures, such a reduction of the National Debt as was required; and the total repeal of the Malt and Beer taxes, which would relieve heavy burdens and encourage the growth of barley. Mr. George Watson seconded the resolutions. Mr. Cobbett, amid great uproar, then moved, as an amendment to Mr. Thurtell’s resolutions, that a petition be presented to Parliament containing among other suggestions the following: the appropriation of part of the public property, commonly called Church property, to be applied to the liquidation of the National Debt; the abolition of the standing army; the total abolition of sinecure pensions, grants, and emoluments; the sale of numerous public estates commonly called Crown lands, and the application of the money towards the liquidation of the public debt; to suspend by law for one year all distraints for rents; to suspend all processes for tithes for the same period, and all processes arising out of mortgages effected on houses or land; and to repeal the taxes on malt, hops, leather, soap, and candles. Not three-fourths of the audience were able to hear the reading of the petition, but it was adopted, and the resolutions moved by Mr. Thurtell negatived by at least twenty to one. Mr. Cobbett, at the close of the meeting, stood forward and said this was the greatest triumph he had ever had; it was their triumph also—the triumph of truth and sound principles. Subsequently meetings were held in the various Hundreds of the county “to disavow the Norwich proceedings of the 3rd,” and “to express abhorrence and detestation of the revolutionary doctrines promulgated, and the measures of fraud and spoliation recommended for legislative adoption.” On March 8th the NORFOLK CHRONICLE published the following paragraph: “Norfolk Petition. Serious loss. We understand the county has been so unfortunate as to be deprived of its Petition by some daring depredator who had the audacity to steal it from the coach by which it was sent to London about a fortnight ago. The most diligent search has been made for this important document, but without success.”
January 4th 1823
“We have been called upon by several gentlemen who were witnesses of the circumstance to notice the very reprehensible conduct of the persons who drove the Day and Times coaches into this city on Tuesday evening. These coaches had been racing on the road, and proceeded at such a rapid rate that they reached Norwich at a quarter before five o’clock, having performed the journey from London, 112 miles, in less than eleven hours.”
January 11th 1823
Master Hubbard, “the scissor artist,” exhibited his proficiency in cutting out profiles in paper at Norwich.
January 11th 1823
At a fire which occurred at Blackthorn Farm, Diss, in the occupation of Mr. John Elsey, a chimney fell and killed John Gardiner and William Tipple. Two other persons were severely injured.
January 16th 1823
Married at Lakenham church, by the Rev. George Carter, Mr. George Thurtell, son of Mr. Alderman Thurtell, to Miss Edwards.
January 16th 1823
Married at North Walsham, by the Rev. W. F. Wilkinson, Mr. George Fisher, of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians, to Miss Marianne Nickless, niece of Mrs. Saul, of that place.
January 20th 1823
A coach commenced running from the Crown Tavern, Lynn, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning by Swaffham and Dereham to Norwich. It returned from Norwich _viâ_ Hingham, Watton, and Swaffham. Another coach set out from the White Swan, Norwich, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday morning at eleven o’clock, and travelled by Dereham and Swaffham to meet the Stamford coach at Lynn. It returned after the arrival of the Stamford coach, by Swaffham, Watton, and Hingham.
January 21st 1823
At a public meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, presided over by the Mayor (Mr. Robert Hawkes), it was resolved, on the motion of Mr. John Harvey seconded by Mr. Crisp Brown, and unanimously agreed, that direct and improved communication with the sea was an object of the first importance to the future prosperity of the city; that the plan for an open harbour at Lowestoft be approved; that application be made to Parliament for carrying the undertaking into execution; and that a subscription for the purpose based on shares of £100 each be immediately opened. On February 8th a letter from the fishing masters, boatmen, and pilots to Mr. Harvey, expressing the hope that the proposed plan would be of the greatest benefit to the city of Norwich as well as to the town of Lowestoft, was published.
January 24th 1823
Capt. Hayes, “the Father of the British Army,” was entertained at the Star Inn, Norwich, on the anniversary of his entrance into the service. He had served 62 years.
January 25th 1823
It was announced that Messrs. W. and M. Stark, manufacturers, of Norwich, had completed an establishment for carrying into operation the patent of Mr. J. F. Smith, of Dunston Hall, Chesterfield, in the method of finishing bombazines and other silk and worstead goods.
February 1st 1823
Died, Mrs. Browne, formerly of the Theatre Royal, Norwich, and mother of Mrs. J. Brunton.
February 1st 1823
A new drama, entitled “The Fortunes of Nigel, or King James the First and his Times,” founded upon Mr. Scott’s novel, and written by Mr. Edward Ball, formerly of Norwich, was produced at Norwich Theatre for the first time.
February 1st 1823
An action “of an entirely novel description to Norfolk” was tried in the Sheriffs’ court at Norwich, “Jonathan Wrench _v._ the men inhabiting the Hundred of Holt in Norfolk.” It was brought for the purpose of ascertaining the amount of damage the plaintiff had sustained by having a stack of corn destroyed by fire through the act of an incendiary. It was enacted by 9th George I. c 22, that the owner of property so injured was entitled to recover an amount not exceeding £200 from the inhabitants of the Hundred in which the property was situate on complying with the requirements of the Act, namely by giving notice within two days after the commission of the offence “to some of the inhabitants near unto the place where any such act shall be committed, and within four days after such notice that statement be made before a justice of the peace.” It was admitted that the requirements of the Act had been complied with, and a verdict was given for the plaintiff—damages £143 15s.
February 2nd 1823
A congregation of about 120 persons, “of the sect commonly called Ranters,” were assembled for worship in a room adjoining the City of Norwich public-house, St. Stephen’s, Norwich, when the floor gave way and the whole were precipitated into a cellar nine feet deep. Twenty-five received material injury and were conveyed to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Four were suffering from fractured limbs, and one person had his leg amputated.
February 10th 1823
A trotting match took place between a brown mare, the property of Mr. William Day, of St. Stephen’s, and a mare owned by Mr. J. Harper, auctioneer,—stakes £10, distance two miles. Ned Painter rode Mr. Harper’s mare and the brown had her owner up. “They started from Earlham toll-gate, and within a short distance of the starting post Mr. Day’s mare broke into a gallop, and she had to turn back. By this circumstance she was dead beat.”
February 15th 1823
Owing to the frequency with which a number of trunks, measuring 28 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 12 inches deep, had been sent from the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, by the Telegraph coach to London, suspicion was aroused at the coach office, and directions were given that the porter bringing the next be detained and the parcel examined. This was done on the 15th, when it was found that the package contained the dead and naked body of an old man. The Rev. George Carter, vicar of Lakenham, identified the body as that of a man named Brundall whom he had buried a few days previously. Brundall’s grave was examined and it was found that only the coffin and the shroud remained. From information given by the porter, two men named Collins and Crowe were apprehended and committed for trial at the Quarter Sessions. On July 15th they were tried, found guilty, and sentenced to three months’ imprisonment, and to pay a fine of £50.
March 8th 1823
Messrs. Marshall’s panorama of the battle of Trafalgar and the death of Nelson was exhibited at Norwich.
March 31st 1823
“A serio-comic Mill-Dramatic Farcical, Moral Burletta, called ‘The Tread Mill, or Tom and Jerry at Brixton,’” was produced at Norwich Theatre. “An exact representation of a tread mill with culprits at work made a goodly show in the lower circle, crowded the gallery, and filled the pit to the excess of squeezing.”
April 2nd 1823
(Advt.) “It having been represented that there are well-founded grounds of apprehension that some mad dogs have made their appearance in different parts of the city and neighbourhood of Norwich by whom several other dogs have been bitten, the Mayor hereby recommends all of the inhabitants who have dogs immediately to cause them to be tied up or otherwise confined, as in case of their continuing to suffer them to be in the streets, an order will be issued for their being killed” (_sic_).
April 5th 1823
The Rev. Chancellor Yonge, as one of the Visiting Justices of Swaffham Bridewell, reported to the Home Secretary, in reply to inquiries made respecting the use of the tread-wheel, “it has been in use here about four months, and during that time no injurious effects whatever have been experienced to the health of the prisoners. There have been in general a large number of prisoners and they have been very healthy, which may in some measure be owing to the regular exercise on the tread-wheel. The exercise of the tread-wheel is very salutary.”
April 5th 1823
(Advt.) “The annual great main of cocks between the gentlemen of Norwich and Northamptonshire for £5 a battle and £200 the odd, will be fought at the White Swan Inn, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, on Tuesday, April 22nd, and two following days. A silver tankard will be fought for by 16 subscribers. No cock to exceed four pounds ten ounces. The above to be fought in fair silver spurs, and to commence fighting each day at twelve o’clock. Feeders: Nash for Northampton, Skipper for Norwich.”
April 5th 1823
At noon William Bray, aged 20, was executed at the foot of the bridge, Castle Hill, Norwich, for a burglary at Shouldham. “Almost continually night and day he was crying out to God for mercy in so lamentable a manner as to leave little room for religious impressions. His parents were too poor to send for his remains, which were interred the same day in St. Michael-at-Thorn churchyard.”
April 11th 1823
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, the county justices appointed a committee to consider the best means of procuring the holding of the Lent Assizes at Norwich instead of at Thetford. On April 14th the Norwich Corporation petitioned his Majesty in favour of two gaol deliveries each year. (The NORFOLK CHRONICLE contained the following editorial note: “The holding of the Lent Assizes for Norfolk at Thetford has been long and justly complained of as a serious grievance. It is high time to put an end to the disgraceful scene annually exhibited of a body of criminals being exposed in open waggons from Norwich to Thetford, and there congregated for a week without regard to age or crime.”)
April 16th 1823
Died at Great Malvern, Mrs. Bathurst, wife of the Lord Bishop of Norwich.
April 23rd 1823
On the occasion of the celebration of the King’s birthday, the members of the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers presented to Lieut.-Col. Harvey “a valuable scymetar, in recognition of his services during the 26 years that he had commanded the corps.”
April 25th 1823
Pursuant to requisition a meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, presided over by the Mayor, “to take into consideration the state of the British West Indian Colonies with the view to the gradual and complete abolition of slavery.” Resolutions were passed in favour of the movement.
April 30th 1823
A man who sold sand about the streets of Norwich drove his cart and pair of horses up the flight of ten steps, leading from Davey Place to the Castle ditches. “The horses did it with much ease and without receiving any injury, to the astonishment of the spectators.”
April 30th 1823
A singular case came before the Mayor of Norwich. A man named Stebbings had sold his wife to a person named Turner for £6 10s., who, having paid down £4 on account, took home his “bargain” and brutally turned his lawful wife out of doors. On Mrs. Turner applying to the court for relief, the parties were summoned before the Mayor, who obliged Turner to relinquish his bargain and Stebbings to support his own wife.
May 1st 1823
Four candidates were nominated for the Mayoralty of Norwich, and the polling resulted as follows: Alderman Patteson, 835; Alderman Francis, 774; Alderman Leman, 101; Alderman Yallop, 94. Mr. Patteson was returned by the Court of Aldermen on May 3rd.
May 3rd 1823
At a quarterly assembly of the Norwich Corporation, it was resolved that a former order for taking toll for cattle standing for sale on the Castle Meadow be rescinded.
May 5th 1823
A great main of cocks was fought at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, on this and the three following days between the gentlemen of Norfolk and the gentlemen of Herefordshire. The stakes were five guineas a battle and 200 guineas the odd battle. The feeders were Burn for Herefordshire, Lamb for Norfolk. Herefordshire won by ten in the main and three in the byes.
May 12th 1823
Messrs. Stannard, Athow, De Carle, Wright, and Coleman, of Norwich, became the purchasers of Wanstead House, Essex, which was sold by auction on this date. The amount given was £10,000, and one of the conditions of sale was that the purchaser or purchasers should clear everything away even to the foundation by Lady Day, 1825. The purchasers “absolutely sold a pair of marble chimney pieces for 300 guineas before they left the room. Thus is sacrificed on the shrine of extravagance and gambling, a mansion which cost in its erection more than £360,000, and which has no equal in the county of Essex.”
May 13th 1823
The first annual dinner of the Norfolk Society in London was held at the City of London Tavern. The objects of the society were: to afford means of social intercourse between persons connected with the county residing in London; to promote by mutual co-operation the general interests of its members; and to form a fund for the relief, education, or apprenticeship of such objects of charity as the society considered suitable.
May 22nd 1823
Died, aged 55, Mr. Thomas Coldwell, postmaster of Norwich, and a common councilman of the Great Mancroft Ward.
May 23rd 1823
A cricket match was played at Hockwold-cum-Wilton between 11 married and 11 single females for eleven pairs of gloves. The match terminated in favour of the former. “The parties were dressed in jackets and trousers tastefully decorated with blue ribbands.”
May 27th 1823
Married at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, by the Rev. John Bowman, Mr. James Vining, of Norwich Theatre, to Miss Caroline Holmes, daughter of Mr. George Holmes, of Burstall Hall, Suffolk.
May 29th 1823
In celebration of the Restoration of Charles II. the Mayor and Corporation of Yarmouth attended service at St Nicholas’ Church, the ships in the harbour were “dressed,” and a salute was fired from the fort at noon.
June 2nd 1823
A curious incident occurred at the Fighting Cocks Inn, Winfarthing. “A large cock, of the true fighting breed, attacked a beautiful child, of a year and a half old, belonging to the family of the landlord, and wounded him in several places in the head and face, and if timely assistance had not been at hand there is little doubt that he would have repeated his attacks till he had deprived him of his sight, if not his life. The cock was killed immediately.”
June 4th 1823
A new melo-drama, entitled “Eugenio, or the Secrets of the Abbey,” written by Mr. J. Bambridge, a native of the city, was performed at Norwich Theatre for the first time.
June 5th 1823
Mr. Marker Graze was appointed Postmaster of Norwich, in place of Mr. Thomas Coldwell, deceased.
June 11th 1823
The theatrical season ended at Norwich. The benefit receipts were as follow: Mr. Smith (manager), £146; Mr. Thorne, £54; Mr. Vining, £118; Mr. Clifford, £87; Mr. G. Smith, £72; Mrs. Jones, £105; Messrs. Wharton and Hamerton, £35; Miss Brunton, £70; Miss Wensley, £72; Mr. Beacham, £79; Mr. and Mrs. Sloman, £130; Mr. Harrison, £62; Mr. Henderson, £53; Mr. Bennett, £111; Miss Glover, £45; Mr. Benson £56; Mr. and Mrs. Osbaldiston, £134; Mr. Hunt, £86; Miss Tubby, £111; Messrs. Wharton and Hamerton (second benefit in consequence of wet weather on the previous occasion), £75; Mr. Simpson and Miss Adcock, £35. Total, £1,738; average, £82 15s.
June 16th 1823
A prize fight took place near Wymondham for £5 a side between Gales and Dann. “After a hard milling contest of more than an hour, during which 70 rounds were fought without the least display of skill or science, Dann was obliged to give in.”
June 17th 1823
Guild Day at Norwich. The Recorder, Aldermen, and Sheriffs went in their carriages to the mansion of the Mayor-elect (Mr. J. S. Patteson) in Magdalen Street, and partook of “an elegant dejeune”; they next proceeded to the house of the Mayor (Mr. R. Hawkes), “with whom they took some refreshment,” and then to the Cathedral, where the Mayor’s Chaplain, the Rev. William Frederick Patteson, preached. George Steward, second son of Mr. Alderman Steward, delivered the Latin oration at the Free School porch. After the ceremony at the Guildhall Mr. Patteson entertained 650 guests at the Guild feast, and 500 at the ball at Chapel Field House.
June 20th 1823
The House of Commons in Committee of Supply granted £2,000 to Capt. Manby for his services in saving the lives of shipwrecked seamen.
June 24th 1823
Died at Thetford, aged 70, Mr. Shelford Bidwell, who had served many times as Mayor of the borough, and was a great benefactor of the poor.
June 29th 1823
Died at Acle, aged 59, Samuel Morris. “He was generally known as ‘Old Sam.’ For many years he delivered letters from the post office there, and he must have travelled some thousands of miles on foot. On various occasions when he might have made the delivery on horseback he invariably walked, and being furnished with a red guard’s coat he was frequently dignified with the appellation of the ‘Scarlet Runner.’”
June 30th 1823
Died in St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, aged 60, Matthew Joy. “This poor man was known by the appellation of ‘The Walking Baker,’ and for the last eleven years of his life used to carry a large basket of bread, about eight stones weight, upon his shoulders to several villages, walking no less than 20 miles per day. He walked in all about 68,440 miles.”
July 1st 1823
At a meeting held at the Swan Inn, Norwich, at which Mr. Dalrymple presided, resolutions were passed condemning the French invasion of Spain. A subscription was opened “in aid of the suffering and heroic people of that country.”
July 11th 1823
Died at Stiffkey, Col. Henry Loftus, of the Coldstream Guards, eldest son of General Loftus. His remains were interred in the chancel of Rainham Church.
July 12th 1823
“The antient pastime of heron hawking is still carried on in this county. Ten cast of hawks and four falconers, natives of Germany, to which country they repair annually in the autumn to catch a supply of hawks for the ensuing season, are kept at Didlington Hall, the seat of Major Wilson, near to which place is an extensive heronry.”
July 16th 1823
Died at North Walsham, where he had some time resided for the benefit of his health, the Rev. Marmaduke Revell, aged 56. “He was 23 years minister in the Methodist connexion, among whom he was a useful and zealous preacher of the Gospel, which he adorned by strict conformity to its precepts.”
July 19th 1823
Mr. John Cross was elected assistant surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
July 22nd 1823
The Norfolk Rangers, under the command of Major Lord James Townshend, were inspected at Fakenham by Col. the Hon. John Wodehouse, his Majesty’s Lieutenant for the county.
July 24th 1823
A troop of the 15th Hussars arrived at Norwich to relieve the troop of the 1st Royal Dragoons, who marched for York.
July 26th 1823
A machine exemplifying perpetual motion was advertised to be exhibited at Mrs. Chesnut’s, St. Giles’, Norwich. “This grand machine,” it was stated, “has been going ever since it was invented, now upwards of seven years, and will continue to go without any assistance whatever by power of its own balance and pivots, or, in other words, if the materials it is made of would last for ever.” The Mayor made inquiries which proved the exhibition to be a deception, and prohibited its further stay in the city.
July 28th 1823
Died, at the age of 110, Mr. John Lock, of Larling. “He left behind him 130 children and grandchildren.”
August 1st 1823
The Norwich weavers held a demonstration in celebration of the success of their Spitalfields brethren in obtaining the decision of both Houses of Parliament upon the Spitalfields Act. The clubs met in Chapel Field, and afterwards went in procession through the streets.
August 2nd 1823
“Mr. Mueller, from the Haymarket Theatre, has succeeded Mr. Phillips as leader of the orchestra at the Theatre Royal, Norwich.”
August 2nd 1823
Died at Winchester, the Right Hon. Charles Frederick Powlett Townshend, Lord Bayning, of Honingham, aged 38. His remains were conveyed to the King’s Head Inn, Wymondham, on the 12th, and were interred at Honingham on the 13th. His lordship was succeeded by his only brother, the Hon. and Rev. Henry Townshend, Baron Bayning.
August 6th 1823
Married, by special licence, by the Lord Bishop of Norwich, at the parish church, Costessey, Thomas Alexander Fraser, of Lovat and Strichen, to Charlotte Georgina, eldest daughter of Sir George Jerningham, Bart., Costessey Hall. The marriage ceremony was previously performed in the chapel at the Hall, according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church, by the Rev. Frederick Husenbeth, domestic chaplain to Sir George. Soon after the service the bride and bridegroom left Costessey in their travelling barouche and four for Beaufort Castle, Inverness.
August 6th 1823
In the presence of Lord Suffield, Col. Wodehouse, Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., Mr. Wodehouse, M.P., and other gentlemen, experiments were made on Mundesley beach with a new life-saving apparatus invented by Capt. Manby. It consisted of “an airtight tin case encompassing the body beneath the armpits.”
August 12th 1823
Mr. R. C. Harvey, an eminent agriculturist at Alburgh, near Harleston, held his first annual show and sale of stock. Mr. Spelman, of Norwich, was the auctioneer, and the company, numbering 2,000, included the Marquis of Blandford, Lord Huntingfield, and some of the most distinguished agriculturists of the county.
August 12th 1823
The Corporation of Norwich conferred the honorary freedom of the city on Col. the Hon. John Wodehouse, Lieutenant of the county.
August 16th 1823
“Died, lately, at Sheerness, Mr. Edward Quin, many years connected with the public press of the Metropolis, and formerly a member of the Common Council. He was previously a respectable performer in the Norwich Company, under the theatrical name of Stanley. He was the author of a tragedy called “Elmira,” which he published at Norwich, with some other works. He was a native of Ireland. The cause of his death was a stroke of apoplexy. His body was found resting upon the wall from Sheerness to Queensborough long after he had ceased to breathe.”
August 23rd 1823
Mons. Alexandre appeared at Norwich Theatre in his ventriloquial entertainment, “The Rogueries of Nicholas.”
August 23rd 1823
“Died, last week in London, Mr. Robert Mildenhall, comedian and freeman of Norwich, formerly of the Norwich Theatre. He pursued his profession nearly to the end of his life, was happy in a great variety of characters, and a strictly honest man.”
August 25th 1823
Thorpe Water Frolic, “instituted two years ago by Lieut.-Col. Harvey,” took place. Ten thousand persons were present.
August 25th 1823
Died at Hardingham, Mr. Hamond Alpe, aged 80. He was Lieutenant-Colonel of the 2nd Regiment of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry.
September 10th 1823
The Yarmouth Court of Gaol Delivery was proclaimed to be held for the trial of two persons charged with robbery from a vessel upon the high seas within the Admiralty jurisdiction of that borough. On such occasions the Mayor, Recorder, and Steward of Norwich were associated with the borough magistrates in forming the court. The Mayor of Norwich and the Mayor of Yarmouth, with Mr. Robert Alderson, who was both Recorder of Yarmouth and Steward of Norwich, “in full legal dress,” with the magistrates and members of the Corporation, attended service, and afterwards proceeded to the Toll House, where the trial was conducted in due form. “A similar instance of holding an Admiralty court for the trial of pirates and robbers has not occurred here since the reign of Charles I.”
September 13th 1823
“The Norwich Company of Comedians is about to lose one of its oldest and most efficient members. Mr. Bennett quits the theatrical profession. Having become proprietor of the Star Inn, Yarmouth, this able performer and respectable individual will doubtless on the stage of real life exercise that happy zeal, and we hope with equal success that happy art of pleasing which rendered him in the mimic scene so truly and deservedly a public favourite.”
September 20th 1823
A mineral spring was reported to have been discovered on the estate of Mr. F. Wheatley at Mundesley. The spring was situate about 600 yards from the edge of the cliff.
September 23rd 1823
A prize fight took place on Yarmouth Denes between two young men named Tennant and Pile. The contest lasted about 45 minutes, when Pile received a blow which rendered him unconscious, and from the effects of which he died two days after. At the Quarter Sessions in April, 1824, Tennant was sentenced to five months’, and the seconds, Christopher Parker and Bennet Paul, to one month’s imprisonment.
September 29th 1823
The foundation-stone of the Rehobeth chapel, Union Place, Norwich, was laid by the Rev. R. G. Lemare. The chapel was opened for divine service on December 25th.
October 4th 1823
A shooting match between Mr. William Coke and Lord Kennedy for 200 sovereigns a side, play or pay, “who shoots and bags the greatest number of partridges in two days’ sport on September 26th and October 4th,” was decided. Mr. Coke shot over his uncle’s manors in Norfolk, and Lord Kennedy over Sir William Maxwell’s lands at Monteith. Mr. Coke on the first day bagged 80½ brace, and on the second day 90 brace. Lord Kennedy on the first day killed 50 brace, and on the second day 82 brace.
October 11th 1823
William Burton Peeling, a prisoner in Swaffham gaol, was endeavouring to hold a conversation with another prisoner in the adjoining division of the tread-mill, when he accidentally placed his head in the wheel, which drew him in and crushed him to death.
October 17th 1823
The 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Westenra, were inspected at Norwich by Lord Edward Somerset, Inspector-General of Cavalry.
October 18th 1823
“Mr. Bellamy, well known as a favourite actor on the Norwich boards and late manager of the Theatre, is about to resume his professional career at Bath after a short retirement from the stage.”
October 22nd 1823
The first annual meeting of the Norfolk and Norwich Literary Institution was held in the society’s rooms in the Haymarket, Norwich, Lieut.-Col. Harvey, the president, in the chair.
October 25th 1823
“In consequence of directions given at the end of last year by the Hon. Fulke Greville Howard, one of the members for the most antient borough of Castle Rising, and who is also lord of the manor, the rubbish which had accumulated for ages in the great hall, where the court leet is held in the inward part of the castle or keep, having been cleared away, the bases of two pillars, which apparently supported an arch, were discovered, and likewise a well between these columns, 63 feet deep, in a very perfect state. Many hundred cart loads of the ruins which had fallen in from above were removed before these interesting remains were laid open to view.”
October 26th 1823
Died, Dr. W. B. Carter, assistant surgeon in the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, whose remains were buried with military honours at St. Peter Mancroft church, Norwich, on the 30th. The grave was dug at the lower extremity of the middle aisle, and the customary volleys were fired by a party of hussars stationed in the roadway between the great west door of the church and the entrance to the Swan Inn.
October 27th 1823
The Norwich Pantheon was opened under the management of Mr. Kinloch, with his company from the Royal Amphitheatre, London. “A real fox chase, with dogs, horses, fox, and hounds,” was the principal attraction.
October 31st 1823
By virtue of a writ of mandamus granted by the Court of King’s Bench, the Norwich Court of Quarter Sessions was compelled to hear the appeal “the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the Hamlet of Lakenham, appellants, _v._ the Governor, Deputy-Governor, and others of the Court of Guardians of the City of Norwich, respondents.” The appellants contended that the assessment made upon stock was not in accordance with the Act of Parliament, by virtue whereof the rate for the maintenance of the poor of Norwich was raised, and was unfair and inequitable. It was stated in the course of the trial that the real estate of the city was valued at £54,041, that of the hamlets at £15,028; the personal property in the former was estimated at £99,800, and in the latter at £5,700. The court confirmed the certificate, and dismissed the appeal.
October 31st 1823
One of the most violent storms ever remembered occurred on this date, and resulted in many disasters on sea and land. The whole of the coast of Norfolk was strewn with wrecks, many lives were lost, and much misery prevailed. At Cromer the brig, Duchess of Cumberland, came ashore near the lighthouse, and notwithstanding the brave exertions of Mr. Buxton, Mr. Samuel Hoare, Mr. William Lukin, Mr. Windham, and other gentlemen, to effect their rescue the crew of sixteen perished. Among the most remarkable of the incidents on land was the subsidence of a cottage at Corpusty. The occupier, Robert Faircloth, and two women felt the house in motion, rushed out, and a few seconds afterwards “saw it sink out of sight into the bowels of the earth, leaving a vacuum of several feet deep above it which presently filled with water.”
November 1st 1823
“Died very recently in London, aged 62, Mr. William Perowne, formerly an actor in the Phœnix Company. He was a truly honest and industrious man.”
November 8th 1823
Died at Yarmouth, Mr. Luke Waller, in the 105th year of his age.
November 22nd 1823
A meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, under the presidency of the Hon. John Wodehouse, Vice-Admiral of the county, at which it was decided to form a society for saving the lives of shipwrecked mariners on the coast of Norfolk. At an adjourned meeting on December 13th it was agreed to place lifeboats immediately at Yarmouth, Winterton, Blakeney, &c.
November 30th 1823
Married, at Walcot church, Bath, Mr. Frederick Henry Yates, of Charlotte Street, London, to Miss Brunton, daughter of Mr. John Brunton, of Norwich.
December 1st 1823
The “extravaganzic burletta” entitled “Tom and Jerry” was produced at the Pantheon, Norwich. It was described as “an animated picture deprived through the filtering stone of the proprietor’s character and career, of all that might offend even the most fastidious imagination.”
December 6th 1823
Messrs. J. and W. Wiggens advertised their Phenomena coach to run from the Angel Inn, Norwich, every morning at a quarter to six and to arrive at the Bull Inn, Aldgate, at seven o’clock the same evening.
December 9th 1823
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, presided over by the Mayor (Mr. J. S. Patteson), it was resolved to petition the House of Commons for the repeal of the duty on coals carried coastwise.
December 20th 1823
“The portrait of Mr. William Hankes, Mayor of Norwich in 1817, painted by Mr. Clint, has lately been placed in St. Andrew’s Hall.”
December 20th 1823
Drake, a showman, advertised the exhibition “in a commodious theatre upon the Castle ditches, Norwich,” of a performing elephant, a boa constrictor, and a sea serpent alive, “which was discovered when they were in search of the great one, and is supposed by the most moderate calculation to measure more than 300 feet in length. It is asserted by the Linnean Society that this is of the same breed as the large one.”
December 30th 1823
Some remarkable vaults—the disused workings of ancient chalk pits—were discovered on the property of Mr. Sendall, near St. Giles’ Gates, Norwich. They were 35 feet beneath the surface, and extended in various directions. The vaults were thrown open for public inspection and illuminated with coloured lamps.