January 2nd 1822
A party of thieves, known as the “Cossey gang,” committed great depredations in the neighbourhood of Norwich. On the night of the 2nd they broke into the Half Moon public-house, Stone Hills, and stole sixteen gallons of spirits and other property. “Tired of committing depredations on foot, about ten o’clock at night, as soon as they find those who keep horses are gone to bed, they resort to the stables and take out what horses they want, ride to the spot of depredation, whether for game, poultry, sheep, &c., and when done return the horses almost jaded and harassed to death.” (See August 2nd, 1822.)
January 9th 1822
The Marquis of Titchfield was elected without opposition as member of Parliament for King’s Lynn, in place of Sir Martin Browne ffolkes, deceased.
January 12th 1822
The poor of Norwich and its neighbourhood were informed by advertisement that medical and surgical advice was given free at the Infirmary for Diseases of the Eye, St Benedict’s, Norwich (late Messrs. Day’s bank), by Mr. L. Evans, M.D., physician, and Messrs. Robert Hull and T. Martineau, jun., surgeons. At a public meeting held on July 11th, under the presidency of Sir Robert J. Harvey, it was resolved that “the Norfolk and Norwich Infirmary for Diseases of the Eye, instituted and supported by Dr. Evans, Mr. Hull, and Mr. T. Martineau, has already been productive of great advantage, and is deserving of public support.”
January 12th 1822
A meeting of the proprietors and occupiers of land was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the present most truly alarming state of agriculture.” The High Sheriff (Sir Jacob Astley) presided. Resolutions were adopted urging the diminution of taxation by means of rigid economy, the repeal of one half of the Malt Tax, and the removal of the heavy imposts upon candles, salt, leather, &c. A petition embodying these views was ordered to be presented to the House of Commons. After this date many similar meetings were held in the principal towns and villages in the Hundreds of the county, ostensibly for the purpose of suggesting remedies for agricultural distress and of promoting Parliamentary reform. It was alleged that many of these gatherings were of a party character, and on May 18th, the NORFOLK CHRONICLE observed: “The discussion of agricultural distress was last week suspended, and the mask of Parliamentary Reform entirely thrown off by those who for the last four months have displayed so much violence against the Government in pursuing the one, and casting so much obloquy upon Parliament in assuming the other.”
January 24th 1822
The annual dinner held at Norwich in celebration of the birthday of Fox was attended by H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Albemarle (who presided), Mr. T. W. Coke, and many other representatives of the Whig nobility and gentry of the county.
January 28th 1822
Two Corsican stags, presented by Lord Maynard to Mr. Robert Hamond, gave the Westacre Hunt good sport this season. “The first was turned off at Rougham on the 28th, and gave them a severe chase of nearly three hours, from the effects of which two horses died. They are very superior to the red deer of this country from their capability to endure extreme fatigue and to take the most extraordinary leaps.”
January 31st 1822
Norwich Theatre was opened for the season with the grand spectacle of “The Coronation.”
February 1st 1822
Lord Henry Cholmondeley was elected Member of Parliament for the borough of Castle Rising, in the room of the Earl of Rocksavage, created a peer by the title of Baron Newburgh.
February 11th 1822
The Papyruseum, an exhibition of models formed of paper by Mrs. Aberdein, was opened at the White Swan Inn, Norwich.
February 14th 1822
A smuggling boat landed 80 tubs of gin and brandy on Snettisham beach. The crew of the preventive boat seized the cargo, a portion of which with their boat was rescued by the smugglers, who had the assistance of about 100 persons, some of whom were armed with bludgeons and fowling pieces. Twenty or thirty horses and carts were in waiting to remove the contraband goods. Two of the smugglers were wounded in the affray.
February 18th 1822
Lynn Theatre was opened under the management of Mr. T. Marsters.
February 19th 1822
Skipper, the Norwich pedestrian, walked 50 miles in a few minutes under eleven hours at Lynn.
February 23rd 1822
“We understand that the manufactory of bombazines and crapes in Norwich is likely to be affected from the circumstance of those articles being now made in considerable quantities in various parts of Lancashire at a much lower rate of wages for the weaving than that which is paid here.”
February 26th 1822
Married, by special licence, at the house of the Earl of Albemarle, St. James’s Square, London, by the Lord Bishop of Norwich, Mr. Thomas William Coke, M.P., of Holkham, to Lady Anne Keppel, second daughter of the earl.
February 27th 1822
The machine breaking riots commenced in Norfolk. Upwards of a hundred labourers assembled at Kenninghall, and seized the threshing machine of Mr. Bailey, a farmer. The Rev. J. Surtees, of Banham, a county justice, at once proceeded to a neighbouring farm where an auction was being held, and, in the King’s name, requested the auctioneer and the farmers present to assist him in quelling the disturbance. The whole party rode over to Kenninghall, and after the Riot Act had been read the mob dispersed. On March 4th there were further riotous assemblies at Attleborough, Shropham, Buckenham, Banham, &c. The Eye troop of Yeomanry Cavalry were called out, and of the 30 rioters secured eight who were regarded as ringleaders, and they were sent to Norwich Castle under cavalry escort. The Yeomanry after lodging the prisoners in gaol were assailed by a Norwich mob, who stoned them in the streets, and attacked the Trowel and Hammer public-house, St. Stephen’s, where they had halted to bait their horses. The troopers returned to headquarters at East Harling after a march of eighty miles in twenty hours. Many prisoners were also committed to the Castle from other districts, and several cases of incendiarism were reported. At the adjourned Quarter Sessions for the county, held at Norwich on the 6th, the rioters were tried and sentenced to various terms of imprisonment in the Bridewells and houses of correction in the county. A guard of the West Norfolk Militia was stationed at the Castle, and a squadron of the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers did duty at the Cavalry Barracks until relieved by the 16th Lancers. The Lancers and Light Horse afterwards acted as escorts to the vans by which the prisoners were conveyed to the different prisons. On the march the military were repeatedly stoned by the mobs. Detachments of the 7th Dragoon Guards were stationed at Hingham and Attleborough, and remained at those places until the lawless disposition manifested by the rural population had subsided.
March 9th 1822
Wombwell exhibited his menagerie on the Castle Meadow, Norwich.
March 16th 1822
Mr. Blanchard appeared at Norwich Theatre as Toby Allspice (“The Way to Get Married”) and Crack (“The Turnpike Gate”). Among the other characters impersonated during his engagement were Dr. Ollapod, Sir Abel Handy, Mungo, Job Thornberry (“John Bull”), Capt. Meadows (“The Deaf Lover”), &c.
March 28th 1822
At the Norfolk Assizes held at Thetford, before Mr. Justice Richards, William Hardiment and Benjamin Neal, who were concerned with James Johnson in the murder of Mr. Baker at Wells-next-the-Sea on October 11th, 1817, were put upon their trial. Hardiment had evaded apprehension, and at the Spring Assizes in 1818 the bill charging Neal as an accessory was thrown out by the Grand Jury. Several witnesses now deposed to having seen Johnson and Hardiment in company at about the time of the murder, and two persons confined in Aylsham bridewell at the same time that Hardiment and Neal were prisoners there gave evidence as to hearing conversations between the two when planning the murder. One of these witnesses (Thomas Robinson), on December 24th, 1821, met Hardiment at Beverley, in Yorkshire, and gave information which led to his arrest. The jury found Hardiment guilty, and acquitted Neal. Hardiment was executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, at noon on April 1st in the presence of an immense crowd of spectators. “Not more than three yards from the gallows a boy was knocked down by a gentleman who detected him picking his pockets.”
March 28th 1822
At the same Assizes, before Mr. Justice Richards, the cause Lock, D.D., _v._ the Bishop of Norwich was tried. In consequence of simony alleged to have been committed by the Rev. Dr. Lock, the patron of the advowson of Hilgay, the Crown had seized the living and presented the Rev. Dr. Hewlett thereto on April 6th, 1819. This action of _quare impedit_ was instituted by the plaintiff to try the right of the Crown to such presentation. The defendant raised three pleas: (1) that the Rev. John Royle being seized of the living of Hilgay it was corruptly agreed that Lock should resign the living of Compton Martin, in Somersetshire, and cause him (Royle) to be presented to it, and also that Lock should pay Royle the sum of £12,900 for the advowson of Hilgay, and that in consideration of the promises Royle should resign the living and cause Lock to be presented to it. (2) That Lock being seized of the living of Hilgay did corruptly agree with one James Craddock, that in consideration of the said Craddock paying to him the sum of £25,000 he (Lock) should convey to Craddock the advowson of Hilgay, and also resign the living and cause him (Craddock) to be presented to it. (3) That Lock, being seized of Hilgay, having presented Craddock, did corruptly agree that, in consideration of Lock abandoning certain proceedings in an action for debt against Craddock, he should forego proceedings upon a bill of indictment for perjury preferred by Lock against Craddock, but Lock corruptly prevailed upon Craddock to resign the living in order that he (Lock) might present himself to it. The jury gave a verdict for the Crown generally upon all pleas. The Judge: A very proper verdict. It is very disgraceful dealing, gentlemen.
March 30th 1822
(Advt.) “To be fought at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, on Monday, April 15th, 1822, and two following days, three double-days’ play of cocks for ten guineas a battle and 200 guineas the odd, between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Northampton. Feeders: Stafford for Norwich, Nash for Northampton.”
April 6th 1822
“A fish of the whale species was killed in shallow water on Cromer beach last week. Its dimensions were 57 feet long, breadth of tail, 13 feet; pectoral fin, six feet; from the eye to the end of the jaw, 13 feet; length of jaw bones, 14 feet; length of tongue, nine feet; breadth, four feet. It answers the description of the under-jawed whale.”
April 13th 1822
Noah Peak and George Fortis were executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, for setting fire to three stacks on February 25th. Both men had been soldiers. Peak was present at Busaco, Albuera, and Waterloo; and Fortis was also in the last-named battle. “It is not three years since Peak came to Norwich and conveyed home for burial the body of Edward Fisher, his fellow parishioner, who was executed on the Hill in August, 1819, for stabbing William Harrison.”
April 20th 1822
Among the passengers who perished in the ship Albion, wrecked upon the coast of Ireland, was Miss Powell, eldest daughter of the Hon. W. D. Powell, Chief Justice of Upper Canada, and granddaughter of Dr. John Murray, of Norwich.
May 1st 1822
Four candidates were nominated for the Mayoralty of Norwich, and the poll was declared as follows:—Alderman Hawkes, 957; Alderman Patteson, 908; Alderman Thurtell, 364; Alderman Yallop, 318. The Court of Aldermen unanimously returned Mr. Robert Hawkes as Mayor.
May 4th 1822
“Last week two gentlemen on searching the burial ground belonging to the Roman camp at Caister discovered the remains of a kiln with several urns upon it as they were placed for burning. Antiquaries having doubted whether urns found at Caister were burnt in a fire or only dried in the sun, the discovery of this kiln may be decisive of the question.”
May 11th 1822
A county meeting was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, “for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of presenting a petition to Parliament for a reform in the representation of the people.” There was a crowded gathering, and much confusion prevailed until the High Sheriff (Sir R. P. Jodrell) adjourned the meeting to the Castle Hill, where the speeches were delivered from waggons. Sir Thomas Beevor moved a series of resolutions, the sixth of which stated “that a petition be presented to the House of Commons praying that the House will forthwith give to the people a real representation in place of that corrupt and defective one which now exists.” Mr. S. T. Southwell seconded the resolutions, which were put _seriatim_ and carried _nem. con._ Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, M.P., spoke from their respective waggons, and each surrounded by his partisans, left the Hill amid much cheering.
May 20th 1822
A meeting was held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, to decide upon the rules of a society for enabling traders to oppose the discharge of fraudulent debtors under the Insolvent Acts.
May 25th 1822
An immense number of persons assembled at the Eau Brink Cut at Lynn to witness the performance of “Zachariah Witmore, of Philadelphia” upon a “water velocipede.” It was a hoax.
May 30th 1822
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, the Mayor (Mr. W. Rackham) presiding, at which a fund was inaugurated for the relief of the distress in Ireland. Sermons were also preached in the churches and chapels in city and county in aid of the same object. The amount raised in Norwich and Norfolk was upwards of £3,000.
June 3rd 1822
The Leicester and Yarmouth Royal Mail coach commenced running. It started from Yarmouth at 1.45 p.m. and travelled by way of Norwich, Dereham, Swaffham, Lynn, Wisbech, Peterborough, Stamford, and Melton Mowbray. At Stamford and Leicester it was in connection with coaches to the north and west.
June 5th 1822
Died at his house in Bolton Row, London, Mr. Edward Jerningham, youngest son of Sir William Jerningham, Bart. The remains were removed from London to Costessey, where they were interred beneath the altar in the private chapel. Mrs. Edward Jerningham died on June 24th.
June 10th 1822
A camping match took place at Ranworth between ten men of that parish, and a like number from neighbouring parishes. “After half an hour’s excellent sport, which produced some good set-tos and a few bloody noses, victory was declared in favour of Ranworth.”
June 14th 1822
Died at his house in Cavendish Square, London, the Right Hon. Horatio Walpole, Earl of Orford, Baron Walpole of Wolverton, and Baron Walpole of Walpole, High Steward of the Borough of King’s Lynn, and colonel of the West Norfolk Regiment of Militia. The deceased nobleman, who was in his 70th year and was buried on the 25th at Wickmere, was succeeded in his title and estates by the Right Hon. Horatio Lord Walpole, Member of Parliament for Lynn.
June 18th 1822
The Guild Day festivities at Norwich were carried out with great splendour by the Mayor-elect, Mr. Robert Hawkes. After returning from service at the Cathedral, the Corporation listened to the Latin oration delivered at the Free School porch by the head boy, Peter Hansell, and after the customary ceremonies at the Guildhall, 700 guests assembled at the feast at St. Andrew’s Hall. In Bethel Street, where the Mayor resided, were two triumphal arches, and on the summit of one a band played selections of music.
June 23rd 1822
The tower of Happisburgh church was considerably damaged by lightning during a severe thunderstorm, which occasioned much loss throughout the county.
June 27th 1822
The election to fill the vacancy in the representation of Lynn caused by the elevation to the peerage of Lord Walpole commenced. The candidates were Col. the Hon. John Walpole, brother of the late member, and Sir William Browne ffolkes. Considerable disturbance prevailed throughout the contest. About 40 voters had polled for each candidate, when the mob demolished Col. Walpole’s polling booth, set fire to the materials, and stoned the poll clerks. They then proceeded to the Duke’s Head Inn, smashed the windows, tore the Corporation flag to pieces, and committed other acts of violence. The polling was adjourned until the 28th, when the disturbances were renewed, and a further postponement was rendered necessary, the numbers then standing: Walpole, 137; ffolkes, 72. About three o’clock in the afternoon a detachment of the 7th Dragoon Guards arrived from Norwich, under the command of Lieut. Everard. One of the ringleaders of the mob was captured and sent under escort to Swaffham Bridewell. The polling was resumed on the 29th, and at noon, when every vote appeared to have been recorded, the Town Clerk announced the numbers as follow: Walpole, 156; ffolkes, 92. The former was then declared duly elected. At the Norfolk Assizes held at Norwich on July 31st, before Mr. Justice Best, William Chandler was indicted for taking part in the riot at Lynn, and was ordered to enter into his recognisances to come up for judgment when called upon. Thomas Johnson and other persons were at the Lent Assizes at Thetford in March, 1823, sentenced by Mr. Justice Garrow to various terms of imprisonment for participating in the disturbances.
July 4th 1822
Died, at the age of 101, Mrs. Aldborough, of Trowse.
July 5th 1822
A meeting of the manufacturers was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, “to consider the present prices paid for weaving.” It was agreed to adopt a reduced scale of payment. Meetings of the men were called, and the employers were requested to reconsider the question. Another meeting was accordingly held on the 9th, when Mr. Beloe urged that the proposals of the employers were ill-advised. On the other hand it was stated that goods were being manufactured in Yorkshire in large quantities at much lower rates than in Norwich. It was contended by the weavers that greatly increased demands had been made upon them for house rent and coals, and that it was impossible for them to live on reduced wages. A further statement was made to the effect that the lowering of prices would tend to inferior workmanship. A mob assembled outside the Guildhall and cheered or hooted the different manufacturers whom they deemed friendly or adverse to their claims. One gentleman, Mr. William Bosley, was very roughly handled, and his hat, coat, and shoes were taken from him and torn to pieces. It was considered necessary to summon the assistance of the 7th Dragoon Guards, but the mob dispersed after the announcement had been made from the leads of the Guildhall that the manufacturers had consented to return to the old prices. The weavers spent the 10th in festivity and rejoicing.
July 6th 1822
Died, William Coward, aged 85, for 54 years parish clerk at St. Margaret’s, Lynn. “He was borne to the grave by six grave-diggers, and the pall was supported by six parish clerks.”
July 8th 1822
Died at Calcutta, the Right Rev. Thomas Fanshaw Middleton, D.D., Bishop of Calcutta, and formerly vicar of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich.
July 8th 1822
A camping match took place at Ranworth, in the presence of 6,000 spectators, between men of the Blofield and of the Tunstead and Happing Hundreds. “So closely were the men (ten a side) matched for strength, courage, skill, and activity that the ball was nearly in the centre of the ground when time was called and play stopped. At the conclusion of the camp, Turner, of Witton, and Riches, of Upton, had a pugilistic trial of manhood. A well-fought battle of thirty-two rounds of hard milling, with little or no science, ended in favour of Riches.”
July 19th 1822
Mr. T. Filby, of Elsing, fell down dead in the Sessions Court at the Shirehouse, Norwich, when in the act of entering the jury box.
July 20th 1822
Puxley and Nelson’s “New Fly Vans” were advertised to run between the Star Inn, Norwich, and the Bull Inn, Aldgate, every day. The journey was accomplished in twenty-four hours.
July 20th 1822
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, Giuliano Mantova, an Italian boy, who travelled the country with pictures for one Dominico Crostea, of Norwich, was indicted for maliciously and fraudulently taking by force from William Hill, employed by Messrs. Copeman and Petworth, solicitors, Aylsham, a child named Susan Hoffrath. The prisoner denied that he had enticed the child away, and his master gave him a good character; but the jury found him guilty, and he was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment in Norwich Castle.
July 21st 1822
Died at his house, Tombland, Norwich, aged 76, Mr. Charles Kitson, one of the Chapter Registrars of the diocese of Norwich.
July 29th 1822
Norwich Theatre was opened for the Assize week. “Since the period of its leaving Norwich the company has been subject to almost an entire change, and it is now equal to any provincial establishment of the histrionic kind in the kingdom.” The new members included Miss Wensley, Mrs. Dowton, Mr. Osbaldiston, and Mr. Ford White. Mrs. Dowton was a favourite actress in the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians, under the management of Mr. Fisher, and afterwards married Mr. Sloman, the low comedian of the Norwich Company.
August 2nd 1822
At Norwich Theatre a new tragedy, entitled “The Persian Heroine,” written by Mr. Richard Paul Jodrell, was performed under the patronage of the High Sheriff and Lady Jodrell.
August 2nd 1822
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich, before Mr. Justice Best, James Smith was indicted for breaking into the house of William Balls, the Half Moon, Stone Hills, near Norwich, and stealing on January 2nd 16 gallons of liquors in bottles, a purse containing £8 in notes and cash, a quantity of copper coin, &c. He was found guilty and sentenced to death. (Although it was not stated at the trial, the prisoner was evidently one of the “Cossey gang” referred to under date January 2nd, 1822.) At the Norwich Assizes, Henry Carter was sentenced to death for entering the dwelling-house of John Clarke, of St. Paul’s, and stealing therein several articles. The execution of these men was carried out under revolting circumstances on August 24th. From an early hour in the morning they were incessantly appealed to by the chaplain of the gaol and a Wesleyan minister to acknowledge the justice of their sentence. The procession from the gaol in St Giles’ Street to the scaffold was headed by the Under Sheriffs on horseback; the Sheriffs accompanied by the chaplain and the minister came next in a mourning coach, “followed by a cart covered with black cloth on which sat the two malefactors each with arms pinioned, neck bare, and head uncovered, each sitting on the coffin destined to receive his lifeless body.” Smith was well behaved, but Carter acted with great levity during the progress of the procession through the Market Place to the scaffold erected near the weighing machine on the Castle Meadow, and on the very drop itself “he seemed to evince perfect indifference to the fate which awaited him.” After hanging for an hour “the bodies were carried by twelve bearers to the house of Carter’s parents in St. Margaret’s, and were buried on the 26th in the churchyard of that parish.”
August 3rd 1822
“Mr. Yarrington, of this city, plumber and glazier, has presented the Dean and Chapter of Norwich with a valuable piece of stained glass, a portrait of the Virgin, which has been placed in the west window of the Cathedral.”
August 6th 1822
A great cocking match lasting two days commenced at Yarmouth, between the gentlemen of that town and of Norwich. Yarmouth won eleven mains and five byes, and Norwich nine mains and seven byes. “The feeder for Norwich (Nash) proved the excellence of his management. On Wednesday evening the Norwich cock was pounded and taken by Nash, and from the superiority of his condition afterwards won the battle. In the second pit the same evening one of the Norwich cocks had his thigh broken in the first part of the battle, and afterwards fought two hours, and at one time brought the odds from ten to one against him to the same odds in his favour. He, however, eventually lost. This battle would have been withdrawn, but as the money depended upon it they were induced to continue it.”
August 7th 1822
Mr. Heber, “the very eminent book collector and M.P. for the University of Oxford,” dined with the Bishop of Norwich at the Palace, and on the following morning proceeded to Blickling to inspect the library at the hall.
August 8th 1822
A cricket match between eleven members of the Holt club and the first eleven of the Nottingham club, commenced at Nottingham, and owing to unfavourable weather was protracted to the 11th. Scores: Nottingham, 109-91; Holt, 52-43. “Bets to the amount of several thousand pounds were dependent upon the match.”
August 11th 1822
His Majesty the King passed off Yarmouth on his voyage to Scotland. “About half past five o’clock two steam tugs were seen with the Royal yacht in tow, and thousands of persons crowded to the jetty and beach.” The vessels steered a course outside the Roads; but the Perseverance yawl put off with thirty persons on board, “and had the good fortune to fall in with the yacht as it was weathering the Newarp floating light. The company in the boat gave four cheers for the King, who came on board and returned the salutation.” On his return voyage on Saturday, August 31st, his Majesty passed through the Roads, and the yacht came close in shore. “His Majesty was greatly disappointed in not receiving a supply of fresh provisions which had been previously ordered to be ready for him on his arrival off the town. The letter arrived two hours after the King had passed.”
August 12th 1822
Marshland free bridge and causeway were opened for the use of the public. A procession, led by the carriage of Mr. Thomas Hoseason, and followed by those of Sir Thomas Hare, Mr. Anthony Hamond, and others started from the South Gates, Lynn, preceded by a band of music. On the arrival of the procession at the foot of the bridge the horses were taken out of Mr. Hoseason’s carriage and men who had been employed on the works dragged it over the bridge and causeway. After a congratulatory speech by Mr. Hoseason, luncheon was provided for 200 guests at the expense of the directors. In the evening a dinner was given at the Freemasons’ Tavern, and on the marshes belonging to Mr. W. Goddard, at West Lynn, a fair for stock was held for the first time, a sheep roasted, and several barrels of beer given away.
August 17th 1822
“Thorogood, one of the proprietors of the Times coach from Norwich to London, has actually driven the whole distance, 116 miles, and been in both those cities _every day_ for more than a twelvemonth, an instance of laborious perseverance altogether unparalleled.”
August 19th 1822
Lee Sugg, the ventriloquist, who had been before the public for half a century as a performer, gave his entertainment at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich.
August 29th 1822
This being the anniversary of the Decollation of St. John the usual formalities were observed at the election of the Mayor, chamberlain, and churchwardens of Yarmouth. The inquest was locked up at twelve noon, and did not come to a decision until next morning at 7.30, when the following officers were returned: Mayor, Mr. Isaac Preston; churchwardens, Messrs. Robert Cory and Danby Palmer; chamberlain, Mr. James Lawes.
September 9th 1822
At Thorpe Water Frolic a match was sailed by nine boats for a silver cup, gave by Mr. Harvey. Rowing matches followed, and “the banks of the Yare were thronged beyond all precedency with genteel company.”
September 12th 1822
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the purpose of furthering the scheme for making Norwich a port, in accordance with the plans prepared by Mr. William Cubitt, C.E. On the motion of Mr. Crisp Brown, seconded by Mr. Joseph Geldart, it was agreed to open a subscription for carrying the plans into effect, and formal notice was given of the introduction of the Bill into Parliament. (See December 21st, 1822.)
September 14th 1822
“Died last week in Norwich, well stricken in years, Mr. James Paston, a comedian of considerable talent, many years a performer in the Norfolk and Suffolk Company, and was much admired in that circuit as an actor.”
September 25th 1822
A camping match took place at Worstead between ten men of the Blofield Hundred and ten of the Tunstead and Happing Hundred. It terminated in favour of the former. “A poor old man, who had repaired thither to see the sport, fell down and expired on the spot.”
September 27th 1822
A deputation of journeyman weavers presented Mr. John Harvey with a silver vase, subscribed for by 2,300 persons, “in testimony of the high esteem in which they regarded him as a liberal patron and spirited promoter of the manufactures of his native city of Norwich, and as a small tribute of gratitude for the many acts of kindness he had manifested towards them on various occasions.”
September 30th 1822
Mr. David Fisher’s season terminated at Swaffham Theatre. “With the close of the season has ended the use of the present Theatre, which is to be pulled down and a new one on a more extended and improved scale erected.”
September 30th 1822
A dinner was given at the Town Hall, Lynn, by the Mayor-elect, Mr. Edward Everard. The company present included, among others, Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., the Marquis of Tichfield, M.P., Col. Walpole, M.P., &c. “Some pointed remarks fell from both parties, and Mr. Coke made some remarks which called forth some observations from Mr. Wodehouse.” Alderman Blencowe proposed “the health of Lady Anne,” and Mr. Coke, in reply, said “it was extremely natural that he should wish for a son and heir to the Holkham estate, but declared that rather than his son should prove a Tory he should wish not to have a son at all.”
September 30th 1822
A serious accident occurred at Yarmouth on the occasion of the dinner given by the Mayor-elect. As the company were entering the Town Hall a salute was fired from some “swivels” laid on the Quay, one of which burst and severely wounded seven or eight lads. From the effects of the terrible injuries he received, one of the lads died next day.
October 1st 1822
H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex arrived at Lynn on his way to Holkham Hall. A meeting of the Corporation was held, at which his Royal Highness was enrolled a free burgess of the borough. Luncheon was served at the Town Hall, and “the Mayor presented that exquisite relic of antiquity, King John’s cup, filled with wine, of which his Royal Highness partook.”
October 1st 1822
Died, in his 81st year, at Westacre High House, Mr. Anthony Hamond. “He lived a life of extraordinary activity, and rode the foremost in the coursing as well as in the hunting field on the most spirited horses, even to a few weeks of his death. He was born at South Woodton, near Lynn, and succeeded his uncle, Mr. Richard Hamond, in possession of his extensive landed property. By the female line he was related to the Duke and Princess Sophia of Gloucester, the late Earl of Orford, and the present Marquis Cholmondeley, his grandmother being sister of Sir Robert Walpole. He was the only surviving original member of the Swaffham Coursing Society, established in 1779. He served the office of Sheriff of Norfolk in 1792, and leaves surviving three sons and two daughters.”
October 2nd 1822
M. Chalon, the famous French conjurer, performed at the Norwich Theatre.
October 8th 1822
The Norfolk and Norwich Literary Institution was founded at a meeting held at the Guildhall. The rooms of the institution were at a house in the Haymarket.
October 12th 1822
“A short time since as two gentlemen of Norwich were fishing at Halvergate, they caught a pike which weighed twenty-two ounces and measured twenty-three inches in length; in the body of which they found a weasel in a perfect state, which weighed six ounces and measured twelve inches in length.”
October 13th 1822
During a terrible gale the Revenue cutter Ranger, Capt. John Sayers, was lost off Happisburgh with 30 of her crew. Capt. Sayer was appointed to the command of the Lapwing cutter in 1807, and of the Ranger in 1809. The latter vessel was wrecked within 50 yards of the spot where another Revenue cutter, the Hunter, was lost some years previously. Allegations, the truth of which was denied, were made that the inhabitants of Happisburgh shamefully neglected the signals of distress made by the Ranger. “The shrieks of the crew,” it was said, “were heard distinctly on the shore, yet no attempt was made to rescue.”
October 15th 1822
A “grand music meeting” commenced in Norwich, and concluded on the 18th. Evening concerts were given at the Theatre, and morning performances in the Hall Concert Room, St. George’s. The managers were Messrs. A. and E. Pettet, and the principal vocal performers M. Sapio, Mr. Beale, and Madame Camporese.
October 18th 1822
Died, aged 51, Daniel Coppin, of St. Catherine’s Plain, Norwich. He was a member of the Norwich Society of Artists, and was principally known for his highly creditable studies from Opie.
October 28th 1822
Two men named Grint, a dyer, and Purdy, a weaver, “neither of whom had any pretensions to pugilistic science,” fought for an hour near Bishop Bridge, Norwich, until Purdy became insensible, and three days afterwards died. Grint was committed for trial, and at the Norwich Summer Assizes, in 1823, was found guilty, and sentenced by Mr. Justice Blossett to three months’ imprisonment.
October 31st 1822
The chandling office of Messrs. Staff and Chamberlin, St. Martin-at-Palace, Norwich, was destroyed by fire. “Several hogsheads of tallow and a large quantity of candles were melted and ran down the streets in a stream into the river, from the surface of which more than ten cwt. was skimmed off by persons in boats.”
November 4th 1822
Mr. Harvey was presented by the Corporation with a massive silver candelabrum in recognition of his impartial and honourable conduct as Steward and Recorder of Norwich during the period of 40 years, and of his zeal on all occasions for the interests of the city.
November 5th 1822
Mutton of the best quality was sold in Lynn Market at 3d. per pound. On the 6th Mr. Martin, butcher, sold mutton at 2½d. per pound.
November 9th 1822
“Lately was launched from Mr. Bottomley’s yard in South Lynn a ship of 600 tons burden with figure-head and quarter galleries, built for the Jamaica trade. She was called the Marlborough.”
November 9th 1822
The Phœnix new night coach from the Star Inn, Market Place, Norwich, left on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, at four o’clock and arrived at the Bull Inn, Aldgate, at eight in the morning. It was advertised on this date as the property of Ann Nelson and Sons and Thomas Ridley and Co.
November 9th 1822
Died at Coltishall, aged 77, Mr. William Palgrave, an alderman of Yarmouth, who served the office of Mayor of that borough in 1782 and 1805.
November 26th 1822
A grand moving panorama of the battle of Genappe, St. Helena, &c., was opened in Mr. Noverre’s room, St. Michael-at-Plea, Norwich.
November 28th 1822
Died at Doughty’s Hospital, in his 63rd year, John Swan, for many years an inhabitant of St. Peter Mancroft. “In the former part of his life he acted as watchman and parish constable. Being of athletic make, of a stern countenance, and possessing a sonorous, rough voice he excited terror and commanded obedience to his authority. He was several years one of the appointed trumpeters for sounding before the judges in the Assize week, and also for attending at Thetford on the same occasion.”
November 29th 1822
An inquest was held at Loddon by Mr. Pilgrim, coroner, on the body of James Dale, who was killed the preceding day by a patient in the private lunatic asylum kept by Mr. Jollye, surgeon. The deceased, a keeper, incautiously laid down the carving knife which he was using at the dinner table, when the patient snatched it up and stabbed him in the left breast, killing him instantly.
November 30th 1822
Lloyd’s Equestrian Troupe commenced a season’s engagement at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich.
December 1st 1822
H.R.H. the Duke of York passed through Norwich on returning from a visit to Houghton Hall.
December 1st 1822
Died at Downham Market, Mrs. Pidgeon. “This venerable person was 89 years of age, and what is remarkable she never had any other place of residence than the one she died in, and expired upon the same bed on which she was born.”
December 6th 1822
Sir Jacob Astley’s hounds drew at Ringstead and chased a fox to within a mile of Fakenham, a distance of 16 miles, when the hounds became at fault. “Reynard was spied upon the tiles of a cottage, when a general cry was raised to spare him. The huntsman dismounted and caught him as he slipped off the tiles by the cottage door, and drove him in, when he was secured and saved and taken home in a sack for another day’s sport.”
December 7th 1822
A panorama illustrating Lord Exmouth’s victory over the Algerines was exhibited in a wooden building specially erected on the Castle ditches, Norwich. It was described as “the peristrephic or moving panorama,” and was invented by the exhibitors, Messrs. Marshall.
December 12th 1822
Died at Hampstead Park, Berkshire, the seat of the Earl of Craven, Mr. John Brunton, aged 82. “He was father of the late Mrs. Merry, of the present Lady Craven, and of Mr. John Brunton, manager of the West London Theatre. He was a native of Norwich, and for many years patentee and manager of the Norwich Theatre, in which situation he was highly esteemed for his judicious and liberal conduct. He was a superior actor, and in the characters of Lear, Iago, Evander, and The Stranger but few excelled him.”
December 21st 1822
“We understand that Mr. Telford, successor to the late Mr. Rennie, has delivered a report on the proposed plan for making Norwich a port, in which he bears ample testimony to the satisfactory nature of Mr. Cubitt’s professional investigations and remarks.” Mr. John Harvey, chairman of the committee for carrying the project into execution, forwarded to the Mayor of Yarmouth a copy of Mr. Telford’s report, and received in reply an assurance that the Corporation of Yarmouth would do everything in its power to oppose an undertaking “which was pregnant with the most ruinous consequences to the navigation of that port and to the trading interests of the town and neighbourhood.” (See January 21st, 1823.)
December 26th 1822
Lady Anne Coke gave birth to a son and heir at Holkham. The infant was christened at the town house of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., Hanover Square, on June 21st, 1823, when their Royal Highnesses the Dukes of Sussex and Gloucester stood sponsors, and Lady Andover godmother. The ceremony was performed by the Lord Bishop of Norwich.