January 2nd 1821
A meeting of the dyers, dressers, and manufacturers was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. John Harvey, chairman of the manufacturing interest, to consider “the most effectual means of checking the violation of the Sabbath, which has of late arisen to a most shameful height, in consequence of the recent increase in the trade of the city”; and the notice “on the part of the dyers and dressers of bombazines announcing to the manufacturers the conditions on which alone they had agreed to conduct their business, namely that of holding goods which they may have in hand at the time of any bankruptcy or failure as a lien for any balance due to them on their accounts.” The meeting was adjourned _sine die_.
January 6th 1821
“The Rev. Alfred Inigo Fox, of Woodton Hall, has assumed the surname of Suckling only, with the arms of Suckling, quarterly, with his own, pursuant to the will of the late Robert Suckling, of Woodton Hall.”
January 9th 1821
Mr. Mathews appeared at Norwich Theatre in his entertainments, “At Home,” “A Trip to Paris,” and “Country Cousins.”
January 9th 1821
At Norwich Quarter Sessions, Sarah Powell, keeper of a boarding school, was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment for cruelly ill-treating and wounding Mary Ann Phillips, aged 6½ years.
January 13th 1821
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, the case of the King on the prosecution of Robert Leamon, the younger, against Edmund Heagren Gibbs for assault, was tried. The defendant, an opulent farmer living at Quarles, pleaded guilty to the charge. The offence was committed in Fakenham Market Place, and it was alleged that the defendant several times struck the plaintiff with a jockey whip. He was fined £300.
January 22nd 1821
Mr. Dowton appeared at Norwich Theatre as Sir Peter Teazle and Restive (“Turn Out”). On succeeding evenings he took the parts of Job Thornberry, Sir Anthony Absolute, Barnaby Brittle, Old Drugget (“Three Weeks after Marriage”), Sheva (“The Jew”), &c.
January 27th 1821
(Advt.) “£100 Reward. Whereas at about nine o’clock on the evening of the 22nd inst., Mr. John Thurtell was attacked in Chapel Field, Norwich, by three men, knocked down, and robbed of a pocket book containing £1,508 in notes, thirteen of which were of the Bank of England, value £100 each, and the name of John Thurtell is endorsed on them. Notice is hereby given that whoever will give information which might lead to the apprehension and conviction of the persons concerned in this robbery, shall be paid the above reward on applying to Mr. Thurtell; and any person concerned in the robbery who will give information of his accomplices will receive the reward and a free pardon. Norwich, January 23rd, 1821.” (In the following week it was announced that a commission of bankruptcy had issued against John Thurtell and John Giddens, bombazine manufacturers, dealers, and chapmen. Soon afterwards Thurtell absconded.)
January 29th 1821
The first anniversary of the King’s Accession to the Throne was celebrated in Norwich by peals on the bells of St. Peter Mancroft, and of several of the minor parishes of the city. At Methwold a lad named T. Coates, aged 11, rang second in a peal of single bob major, and “the company challenged England for his equal.”
February 3rd 1821
At a meeting held at the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, the Norfolk Agricultural Association adopted a form of petition to be presented to the House of Commons upon “the present deplorable condition of Agriculture.”
February 10th 1821
“The remains of two bodies (no doubt those of Roman soldiers) were lately dug up in a field opposite the west front of the Roman camp at Caister, near Norwich. Nothing was entire of them except several teeth and a metal brooch in excellent preservation, although they cannot have been interred less than 1,400 years. Eleven or twelve human skeletons, supposed to have been buried after some battle, were also discovered on a farm at Longham, near Mileham, close at the foot of an antient ditch, which Parkin supposes gives name to the Hundred of Launditch. Eight or ten years ago, in removing a tumulus in the same parish, some urns were discovered.”
February 10th 1821
Bloggs’ London caravan was advertised to run from the Rampant Horse coach office, Norwich, to London in 24 hours. It started on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at four o’clock, and returned on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The Norwich and London Fly vans ran from the Star Inn, Norwich, to the Bull Inn, Aldgate.
February 10th 1821
Dr. Lewis Evans was elected physician to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital on the resignation of Dr. Alderson, to whom a vote of thanks was accorded by the governors for his professional services of 50 years.
February 12th 1821
Miss Macaulay commenced at Norwich Theatre an engagement of four nights, during which she appeared as Lady Randolph (“Douglas”), Violante (“The Wonder”), Jane Shore, Rosabello (“Rugantino”), Lady Townley (“The Provoked Husband”), and Phœbe (“Rosina”).
February 15th 1821
By the careless driving of the coachman the Morning Star, Yarmouth coach, was overturned at Scole Inn, and of the three inside and nine outside passengers, one, Mr. Butterfield, of Leeds, was seriously injured, and died on April 14th. At the Norfolk Assizes in March, 1822, an action was brought by Butterfield’s employers against the owners of the coach for the recovery of damages sustained by them by the loss of their servant. The jury found for the plaintiffs, damages, £100; expenses, £258; and costs, 40s.
February 17th 1821
The perfectly new house of Mr. John Cator, at Woodbastwick, was destroyed by fire. “The interior of the building was consumed, the walls alone left standing.”
February 24th 1821
Mr. J. M. Murry, of Davey Place, Norwich, advertised himself as “sole agent for the sale of Bridgman’s patent iron coffins as security to the deceased persons.”
February 26th 1821
Mrs. Davison appeared at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, in the character of Letitia Hardy. On subsequent evenings she performed Priscilla Tomboy, Hypolita (“She Wou’d and She Wou’d Not”), and Kathleen (“The Poor Soldier”).
February 28th 1821
An unusually large supply of white herring was received from Yarmouth at Norwich. The fish were sold at a penny a dozen at Fye Bridge staith, and afforded great relief to the poor.
March 3rd 1821
“Died lately at Reepham Moor, St. John Hunt, who was buried by his desire in his best suit of clothes, great coat, hat, &c. A tobacco box, short pipe, and walking stick were also deposited by his side in the coffin.”
March 3rd 1821
Mr. Richard Taylor, of Norwich, published his well-known work, the “Index Monasticus.”
March 3rd 1821
Died at his house in Queen Street, Norwich, Mr. William Foster, an alderman of the Wymer Ward.
March 5th 1821
Died, at Versailles, in her 70th year, Miss Hannah Brand, formerly of Norwich.
March 7th 1821
Three prisoners confined in the city gaol, Norwich, and charged with capital offences, effected their escape by making a hole through the wall of their cell. They were recaptured.
March 7th 1821
Mr. Edward Temple Booth, Sheriff of Norwich, was elected an alderman of the Great Ward of Wymer, in place of Mr. Foster, deceased. The other candidate was Mr. Richard Shaw, who served the office in 1818.
March 8th 1821
A new tragedy, entitled “Antigone,” written by Mr. Edward Ball, of Duke’s Palace House, Norwich, was produced at Norwich Theatre for the first time.
March 13th 1821
Mr. E. Wodehouse presented to the House of Commons petitions from the owners and occupiers of land in the vicinity of Norwich, Yarmouth, and North Walsham, on the depressed state of agriculture, praying for a repeal of the last duty on malt, and for the substitution of a modified tax on property. At this date wheat was making 25s. to 31s.; barley, 9s. to 12s. 6d.; oats, 9s. to 10s.; and malt, 34s. per coomb.
March 22nd 1821
A performance took place for the benefit of the Theatrical Fund, established for the relief of aged and decayed actors of the Norwich company. The Freemasons gave their patronage, and, in full regalia, attended the Theatre, where the pieces produced were the comedy “Secrets worth Knowing,” and the musical farce “The Padlock.” The proceeds amounted to £117 2s. 6d.
March 26th 1821
Mrs. Bartley commenced at Norwich Theatre an engagement, during which she appeared in the characters of Bianca (“Fazio”), Jane Shaw, Madame Chermont (“Adrian and Orrila”), Mary Stuart, and Catherine (“The Taming of the Shrew”).
March 31st 1821
The freedom of the city of Norwich was presented to Capt. William Edward Parry, R.N., prior to his departure for the Arctic Seas to ascertain the existence of a north-west passage. He was a nephew of Dr. Rigby, of Norwich. The parchment was presented in an oak box, made of a piece of the wood of the Hecla, the ship commanded by him in his voyage of discovery towards the North Pole in 1819–20.
April 2nd 1821
A new peal of bells, hung by Messrs. Hurry, of Norwich, was opened at Ditchingham.
April 3rd 1821
Died, aged 92, Thomas Burton, “father of the St. Peter’s company of ringers, Norwich.”
April 3rd 1821
Died in St. George Colegate, Norwich, aged 88, Mrs. Goulty, widow of Mr. John Goulty, and aunt to Admiral Lord Nelson.
April 3rd 1821
Mr. R. Morlege, many years confidential clerk to Messrs. W. and S. Bircham, of Reepham, “left that place with his family, a wife, and seven children, one an infant, in a covered van for Liverpool, there to embark for Baltimore, and from thence to proceed in his van, which he takes on board with him, about 400 miles up the country, and to settle on the banks of the Ohio.”
April 5th 1821
Died in St. Swithin’s, Norwich, aged 84, the Rev. James Lane, for 32 years Roman Catholic priest in the city.
April 7th 1821
A “new and elegant” light post coach, “The Times,” was announced to set out from the Angel Inn, Norwich, to the Swan-with-Two-Necks, Lad Lane, London, on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday morning at six o’clock, by way of Scole, Bury, Sudbury, and Halstead. It returned on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The proprietors, W. Start, J. Thorogood and Co., regretted “the circumstance which rendered the dissolution of partnership between them and Mrs. Nelson indispensable, in consequence of which they had no connection with the Phenomena coach.” Thorogood himself drove the coach both to and from London.
April 9th 1821
Mr. J. Brunton, the former manager, and his daughter, Miss Fanny Brunton, performed at Norwich Theatre. They appeared respectively as Othello and Desdemona on the opening night, and on subsequent evenings as Horatius and Horatia (“The Roman Father”), and Wildlove and Zephyrina (“The Lady and the Devil”). “Miss Brunton, though not 19 years of age, has made great progress towards histrionic excellence.”
April 10th 1821
At a public meeting held at the Town Hall, Yarmouth, under the presidency of the Mayor (Mr. Fisher), a committee was appointed and a subscription opened for the formation of a fund from which to reward boatmen for rescuing persons from shipwreck.
April 14th 1821
The Wellington coach ran from Norwich on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to Stamford, where it effected a connection with coaches to the Midlands and the North.
April 15th 1821
Wombwell’s Menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Meadow, Norwich.
April 17th 1821
The erection of a new jetty was commenced at Cromer. It was finished in the summer of 1822. “Erected on massy iron frames by Mr. Hase, of Saxthorpe, it exhibits a magnificent proof of the skill of the engineer, and of his honourable attention to his contract.”
April 22nd 1821
Died in St. George’s Colegate, Norwich, after a few days’ illness, John Crome, the elder. He was president of the Norwich Society of Artists, and an artist of considerable repute. His remains were interred on the 27th in a vault in St. George’s church.
April 23rd 1821
St. George’s Day being the day appointed for the celebration of his Majesty’s birthday, the Corporation of Norwich attended service at the Cathedral, and the 9th Lancers and the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers fired three volleys with their pistols in the Market Place. The Mayor gave a dinner at his house, Major Harvey and the officers and men of the Light Horse dined at the White Lion Inn, St. Benedict’s, and several members of the Common Council met for dinner at the Castle Inn. The Loyal Heroes or Sons of Pitt, and several other societies dined at their respective club houses.
April 23rd 1821
Miss Rosalie Corri appeared at Norwich Theatre as Polly (“The Beggars’ Opera”). Her other characters included Louison (“Henri Quatre”), Zerlina (“The Libertine”), &c.
April 25th 1821
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the promotion of vaccination amongst the poor, it was stated that in 1819, when about 500 persons died of small-pox, “the figures of persons liable to take the disease was on an average of five years not less than 1,000 annually.” Since that year vaccination had again languished, and in 1820 not 100 of the poor were vaccinated. The meeting directed that a census be immediately taken for the purpose of ascertaining how many persons remained unvaccinated, and what would be the extent of the danger attending the introduction of small-pox.
April 26th 1821
A smuggling boat was captured at Yarmouth between the Nelson monument and the old jetty, by boats of the Revenue cutter Ranger, Capt. Sayer. The smuggler had on board about 400 tubs of Geneva, and a quantity of dry goods, and her crew escaped by jumping overboard and swimming ashore.
April 28th 1821
“Died last week at Swaffham, the widow Turner, aged 96, formerly a midwife. Mrs. Turner had a perfect remembrance of the girl who was burnt at Lynn on April 1st, 1731, for aiding and assisting in the murder of her mistress, and was taken by her friends to visit her in prison a few days before the execution of that dreadful sentence.”
April 28th 1821
Gurney’s Original day coach was advertised to leave the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, for the Spread Eagle, Gracechurch Street, and the Black Bear, Piccadilly. The proprietor referred to the liberal patronage he had received “amidst the powerful ruinous competition among other parties concerned in the Norwich and London coaches.”
April 30th 1821
At the White Swan Inn, Norwich, commenced a three double days’ play of cocks, for 10 guineas a battle and 200 guineas the odd, between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Cambridgeshire. Feeders: Lamb for Norwich, Burn for Cambridge. Norwich won by seven battles ahead in the mains, and two in the byes.
May 1st 1821
There was a contest this year for the Mayoralty of Norwich. At the close of the poll the numbers were declared as follow:—Alderman Rackham, 986; Alderman Hawkes, 950; Alderman Marsh, 630; Alderman Yallop, 631. The two first-named were returned to the Court of Aldermen, who elected Mr. Rackham to serve the office.
May 2nd 1821
Died at his ancestral seat at Great Ormesby, aged 68, Mr. James Symonds, who was descended from one of the oldest families in Norfolk.
May 8th 1821
At a meeting of the merchants, manufacturers, dyers, &c., held at the Guildhall, Norwich, presided over by Mr. John Harvey, it was resolved to petition Parliament for a repeal of the tax on imported foreign wool.
May 12th 1821
A foot race of 30 miles was run at New Buckenham, between two men named Tuttle and Beales. The former won easily in five hours nine minutes.
May 13th 1821
Died at his house in Surrey Street, Norwich, aged 72, Mr. William Stevenson, upwards of 35 years proprietor of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE. He served the office of Sheriff in 1799.
May 13th 1821
Died at Lyng, Christopher Allcock, aged 91. “He served in the first draft of the Norfolk Militia when called out in the glorious year, 1759, and such was his attachment to the military service that he made a reserve of his coat that it might serve him for a shroud.”
May 18th 1821
Died at Norwich, aged 53, Robert Chesnut, leader of the St. Peter’s ringers.
May 19th 1821
The “safety” coach from the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, commenced running to London on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings by way of Thetford, Bury, and Newmarket.
May 23rd 1821
At a special court of the Norwich Guardians it was agreed to petition the House of Commons against the Bill introduced into Parliament by Mr. Scarlett, for amending the laws relating to the relief of the poor in England.
May 28th 1821
The principal inhabitants, with many other parishioners, perambulated the parish of St. Clement’s, Norwich, and afterwards dined at the Bull Inn, Magdalen Street.
May 30th 1821
A glass bottle was thrown from the gallery on to the stage of Norwich Theatre by a youth named Wheeler, son of a former member of the Norwich company. He was apprehended by Mr. Smith, the manager, taken before the Mayor, and sentenced to one month’s imprisonment in the Bridewell.
June 12th 1821
Costessey Guild was held, and the “Mayor” sworn in with great formality. Several “splendid equipages” appeared in the subsequent procession.
June 12th 1821
The festivities connected with Necton Guild were carried out on a scale of much splendour in a field adjoining the residence of Major Mason, of Necton Hall, the patron of this annual gathering.
June 12th 1821
The Census was completed on this day at Norwich. The city, with its hamlets and the Close, contained 10,833 houses and 50,173 souls, namely, 22,732 males and 27,441 females. In comparison with the returns at the previous Census these figures showed an increase of 2,300 houses and of 12,917 persons.
June 18th 1821
Guild Day at Norwich. Mr. William Rackham was sworn in Mayor, and entertained 650 guests at the guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall.
June 18th 1821
Died, aged 52, Charles Hague, Mus. Doc., professor of music at the University of Cambridge.
June 18th 1821
At an assembly of the Norwich Corporation, the Tonnage Committee was ordered to obtain plans and estimates for the improvement of the south side of St. Andrew’s Hall, and of the plain and gardens. The proposed work included the taking down of the old Library Room and the Court of Conscience, which formed part of the entrance to the Hall, and completely obscured and disgraced the structure; the erection of a Gothic porch on part of their site to correspond with the architecture of the original building, and the laying open of the whole south side of the Hall, “by taking down the present garden walls, so as to form a square in front of the hall.” It was also proposed that the building be no longer used as a corn exchange.
June 18th 1821
About twenty of the Waterloo men resident in Norwich were entertained to dinner at the Coach and Horses, Red Lion Lane, in celebration of the anniversary of the battle.
June 23rd 1821
“The curious antique pump in St. Lawrence, in this city (Norwich), erected by Robert Gybson in 1576, has been lately put into repair, and the singular inscription and ornaments thereon repainted by the present proprietor, Quarter-Master Betts, of the West Norfolk Regiment.”
June 28th 1821
The Marshland free bridge, built by Messrs. Jolliffe and Bank, under the direction of the engineer, Mr. Rennie, and forming a direct means of communication between the eastern and northern districts, was opened on this date. A procession of carriages, preceded by a band of music and banners, with 7,000 pedestrians, passed over the bridge at one o’clock. The carriage of Mr. Thomas Hoseason led the van. Among the vehicles was the Lynn and London coach, drawn by four bays decorated with ribbands and flowers.
July 2nd 1821
Twelve smacks were despatched from Wells to a newly discovered oyster bed at Happisburgh, whence they returned on the following day with from 100 to 121 tubs each.
July 2nd 1821
“Notwithstanding the clouds which lower on the landed interest, the sun of Holkham’s prosperity has shone forth with undiminished splendour,” was the comment which prefaced this year’s report of the Holkham Sheep Shearing. The business of the meeting commenced with an inspection in front of the hall “of the various processes in the manufacture (by the labourers’ children and the parish poor) of part of the crop of flax and hemp grown upon Holkham Park Farm in the last year. The several operations of breaking, heckling, and spinning were gone through by females of various ages with ease and facility.” Some of the sacks and sheeting manufactured from the materials were also shown. The gathering was attended by H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of Bedford, the Earl of Albemarle, Lord Erskine, Lord Crewe, Sir F. Burdett, Mr. Hume, &c. “The magnificent hospitality of these meetings congregated men from all parts of the civilized world. None but agricultural subjects were discussed. On these the most conflicting opinions were freely given and as freely canvassed, but anything political was excluded. And thus, although the political opinions of Mr. Coke and most of his personal friends were not only very decided, but for a great period, and that the most brilliant era of the Holkham meetings, unpopular with the great majority of those connected with the landed interest, yet men of every shade of political opinion were heartily welcome . . . and although they might hear some favourite theory of farming ridiculed they never would find anything hurtful to their political feelings advanced. The Sheep Shearing of 1821, indeed, was an exception. Political topics were then introduced. It was a bad omen. This Sheep Shearing was the last.”—“Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society,” Vol. XIV., part 1.
July 7th 1821
Miss Biffin paid a return visit to Norwich, and was exhibited at St. Peter’s Steps, the Market Place.
July 19th 1821
Norwich, in common with the cities and towns of the kingdom generally, celebrated the Coronation day of King George IV. The Mayor and Corporation went in procession to the Cathedral, preceded by a troop of the 9th Lancers, commanded by Capt. Campbell, sixty-four Waterloo men wearing their medals, and by the loyal and constitutional clubs with their flags. The procession was closed in by the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers. After service a roasted bullock, weighing 60 stones, was distributed in the Market Place, with 2,880 penny loaves, and several barrels of beer. There was a similar distribution in Ber Street. A dinner took place at St. Andrew’s Hall, under the presidency of the Mayor, and at night a display of fireworks was given on a staging erected on the south side of the Market Place. A very elaborate triumphal arch, erected near the Guildhall, was brilliantly illuminated. There were like demonstrations at Yarmouth, Lynn, and other towns in the county.
July 29th 1821
Died at St. John Timberhill, Norwich, John Smith, schoolmaster, aged 54, “the author of several scholastic works and an English grammar.”
July 30th 1821
A grand cricket match between the Holt and Nottingham clubs commenced at Holt, and was continued on the two following days. It terminated in favour of Nottingham, with ten wickets to spare—Nottingham, 150-154; Holt, 80-73. The Holt team included R. J. Brereton, Garwood, N. Pilch, William Pilch, F. Pilch, W. Englebright, R. Englebright, Frost, Brunton, Carmichael, and Goggs.
July 31st 1821
The new river or Cut from King’s Lynn to Eau Brink was opened. At 8.30 a steam barge passed beneath the new bridge into the Cut, followed by a great number of boats. After the commissioners had viewed the work the steamboat returned to Lynn, where dinner was served at the Town Hall, under the presidency of Lord William Bentinck.
August 1st 1821
Died at his house in Charles Street, Berkeley Square, the Right Hon. Lord Suffield, his Majesty’s Lieutenant of Norfolk. His lordship, who was in his 54th year, dying without issue, he was succeeded in his title and estates by his brother, the Hon. Edward Harbord, M.P. for Shaftesbury. The remains of his lordship arrived at Aylsham, and lay in state at the Black Boys Inn on August 12th, and the funeral took place at Gunton on the 13th.
August 4th 1821
“In the recent creation of baronets are Major-General Sir Edward Kerrison and Mr. Astley Paston Cooper, surgeon to his Majesty’s person.”
August 6th 1821
The Norwich Assurance Company and the Norwich Union Society combined their establishments under the style of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, with a capital of £550,000.
August 9th 1821
Official intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of Queen Caroline. Her Majesty died at Bradenburgh House, Hammersmith, on the 7th.
August 10th 1821
The organ in Loddon church, the gift of Mr. Thomas Reynolds, of Chedgrave, was opened with a performance of sacred music by Messrs. Pettet and Woolman. The principal vocalists were Miss Gaskill, of Norwich Theatre, Mrs. Card, and Mr. French; and the instrumental band was composed of Norwich and Yarmouth amateurs. “Tickets: middle aisle, 3s.; side aisle, 2s.”
August 11th 1821
“A troop of the 4th Dragoons arrived here last week to replace the troop of 9th Lancers, who have gone to Canterbury.”
August 11th 1821
“Died, last week, at Surlingham, Mrs. Elizabeth Utting, in her 104th year.”
August 14th 1821
Mr. Justice Richardson, in charging the Grand Jury at the Norwich Summer Assizes, made reference to the large number of street robberies and burglaries that had taken place in the city. “Several persons had their pockets picked in court; one man was detected in the act, and was committed to Bridewell.”
August 17th 1821
Among the civil actions tried at the Norwich Assizes, before Sir Robert Dallas, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas, was that of Crawcour _v._ Smith. It was for the recovery of the cost of a suit of clothes, &c., bought by the plaintiff in consequence of having received from the defendant a fictitious card of invitation to dine at the Guild feast in 1820. The defendant, who admitted the sending of the card, was heard to remark that “he would rather undergo transportation than not see the plaintiff (a Jew dentist) at the door of the Guildhall in his pomps and opera hat.” Counsel for the defendant endeavoured to show that the order for the apparel was given subsequent to the plaintiff receiving notice of the fictitiousness of the card; and he argued that even if he had gone to the feast he could not have partaken of it without incurring the censure of the higher orders of his religion. Mr. Sergeant Blossett, for the plaintiff, replied that “of the 600 covers placed on the tables on Guild Day there were several of which Mr. Crawcour might partake without injury either of his soul or his stomach.” The jury found for the plaintiff—damages 1s. (Mr. Crawcour on September 23rd met with a terrible accident on Tombland. The horse, which he was driving, ran away, and he was thrown from the vehicle. His leg was fractured in so shocking a manner that immediate amputation was rendered necessary.)
August 18th 1821
Col. the Hon. John Wodehouse, M.P., was appointed his Majesty’s Lieutenant, Vice-Admiral of the county, and Custos Rotulorum, in place of the late Lord Suffield.
August 20th 1821
A fire took place on the premises of Mr. Cross, Lower Earlham, by which his barns and outhouses, hay, corn, and straw stacks were destroyed. The damage was estimated at £1,000.
August 21st 1821
Belzoni, the celebrated traveller and discoverer of Egyptian antiquities, visited Norwich, and stayed with Mr. Jeremiah Ives, at his residence, St. Catherine’s Hill, where several gentlemen of the city were invited to meet him.
August 22nd 1821
Died, aged 72, Mrs. Mary Mountain, of Norwich. “On the first establishment of the Institution for the Indigent Blind in this city she tendered her gratuitous services as matron, and for 16 years filled that situation.”
August 28th 1821
A contest for freemen’s Sheriff took place at Norwich. Mr. Joseph Gibson, 680; Mr. T. O. Springfield, 442. A scrutiny was afterwards demanded and granted, but was abandoned.
September 1st 1821
“The Easton Lodge estate, the property of the late Mr. W. Foster, has been purchased by Mr. Thomas Trench Berney, of Morton Hall, for 30,000 guineas.”
September 1st 1821
“The tower of the antient church of St. John of Maddermarket, Norwich, which has long been in a state of dilapidation, is now taking down to be reduced by 14 feet, so as just to leave room for the bells.”
September 1st 1821
A panorama of Waterloo was exhibited at Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich.
September 6th 1821
The freemen of the “Blue and White” interest presented to Mr. Alderman James Marsh a silver vase, weighing upwards of 100 ozs. The presentation was made at the Angel Inn, Norwich, by Mr. Edward Taylor.
September 6th 1821
Workmen digging at the bottom of Bethel Street, Norwich, discovered a human skeleton “laid exactly in the crossway of the roads; it was thought to be the body of a criminal who died in prison and was buried there.”
September 8th 1821
“That highly esteemed performer, Mr. Vining, has formed a very advantageous engagement with the proprietor of the Bath Theatre, and will leave the Norwich company at the termination of Bury Fair.” (He was succeeded by his brother, Mr. J. Vining, who ultimately became a great favourite on the Norwich stage.)
September 10th 1821
Miss Dance, of Covent Garden Theatre, appeared at Norwich Theatre in the character of Belvedera (“Venice Preserved”). Her other impersonations included Lady Teazle, Juliet, Widow Cheerly (“The Soldier’s Daughter”), Mrs. Haller, Maria (“The Citizen”), &c.
September 16th 1821
Died at Downham Market, at a very advanced age, William Howlett. “He was for many years employed as a labourer on the premises of Mr. E. R. Pratt, at Ryston. About 30 years ago he sold his wife, and delivered her to the fortunate purchaser in a halter in the Market Place at Downham, with whom she has ever since lived, and it is supposed they will now marry.”
September 21st 1821
At a quarterly meeting of the Corporation of Norwich, a committee was appointed to take into consideration Mr. Cubitt’s plan for connecting the city with the sea by way of Lowestoft.
September 26th 1821
The foundation-stone of the Unitarian Chapel in Park Field, Diss, was laid by Mr. Meadows Taylor and Mr. Thomas Dyson.
September 28th 1821
Experiments with a life-saving rocket on Tregrouse’s principle were made on Yarmouth beach by Rear-Admiral Spranger. The rocket carried a line from the ship to the shore, and running rigging was then brought into use.
October 4th 1821
Died in London, aged 64, the celebrated engineer, Mr. John Rennie, who a few weeks previously had attended the opening of the Eau Brink cut.
October 6th 1821
(Advt.) “Distressing case of long imprisonment. Christopher Wood, formerly of Lynn, bricklayer, committed in 1813 to Norwich Castle for contempt of the Court of Chancery, incurred by his inability through poverty to put in an answer to a bill filed against him to foreclose a mortgage on an estate of which, unfortunately for him, he became owner. He has been in prison eight years, and has hitherto been supported by his labour beyond the prison allowance of bread, but having lately nearly lost his sight he must in future depend entirely on the latter. The expense of putting in his answer will amount to £18, and being totally unable to raise that sum must end his days in prison unless the benevolent shall extend their bounty towards him by putting in his answer to obtain his discharge, the Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors not extending to persons in custody for contempts.”
October 10th 1821
Robert Skipper, the Norwich pedestrian, commenced the task of walking 1,000 miles in twenty successive days at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich. He had completed 100 miles on the evening of the 11th, and at the 390th mile was compelled to give up in consequence of magisterial interference.
October 27th 1821
“Lady Beevor, widow of the late Sir Thomas Beevor, has taken the surname of Hare out of respect to the memory of her late father.”
October 27th 1821
Died, aged 74, Mr. Edward Rigby, M.D., of Norwich. He received his medical education under Mr. Martineau, and first began practice in 1769, when he distinguished himself as an accoucheur, and was the author of a treatise on subjects connected with that branch of his profession. In 1814 he took his degree in physic. Dr. Rigby in 1786 established the Benevolent Medical Society for the relief of the widows and orphans of medical men; and in 1789 became a member of the Corporation of Surgeons and of the Medical Society in London. He was assistant surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital on its establishment in 1771, surgeon in 1790, and physician in 1814. For many years he kept a private lunatic asylum; and made constant and unremitted exertions in the cause of vaccination. He wrote several treatises on agricultural subjects, and was in 1820 elected an hon. member of the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture. He was also a member of the Linnæan Society. Dr. Rigby was elected an alderman in 1802, Sheriff in 1803, and Mayor in 1805. His remains were interred at Framingham, near Norwich, on November 5th.
October 28th 1821
The county magistrates adopted a plan prepared by Mr. Wilkins for the erection of a new county gaol on the Castle Hill, Norwich, “so far as the sum of £26,000 would carry it into effect.” This plan included the removal of the then Shirehouse and inconvenient courts of justice. In order that the whole of the expense of the work should not fall upon occupiers it was arranged that half only be paid by them, and the other half by the owners of estates.—On December 1st a meeting of the county magistrates was held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, to remonstrate against the selection of the Castle Hill as the site for the new gaol. At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions in January, 1822, the subject was reconsidered, and it was finally decided by 30 to 24 votes to adhere to the Castle Hill site.—On July 29th the workmen began to prepare the ground for the foundations of the Shirehall, and on September 9th the foundation-stone was laid with “Masonic ceremony.” Current coins were deposited in the cavity, and upon the stone was a Latin inscription composed by the Rev. F. Howes.—The demolition of the old debtors’ court commenced on May 7th, 1823, previous to which the prisoners committed on criminal charges were removed to the different bridewells and houses of correction in the county, the debtors only remaining in the Castle keep.—On July 11th some workmen employed on the building were raising a large stone, which fell and injured four of them, and one, Nicholas Mase, died next day in hospital. The new Shirehall was completed in time to admit of the Quarter Sessions being held therein on October 15th, 1823, which was the first occasion on which the building was used. “As to the prison buildings the ancient Saxon castle with Bigod’s tower is left entire in its pristine state. The hill is now surrounded with a castellated wall of Aberdeen granite 20 feet high, leaving, however, in general a space of nearly 20 feet for a public promenade on the summit of the hill.” The Castle ditches and meadow had previously been improved at considerable expense by the city. These works completed the first part of the extensive scheme undertaken by the county.
October 28th 1821
Lord Suffield was elected one of the chairmen of Norfolk Quarter Sessions, in the room of the late Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart.
October 31st 1821
There were two candidates for the vacancy occasioned upon the Norwich aldermanic bench by the death of Dr. Rigby—namely, Mr. Jeremiah Ives and Mr. Thomas Osborne Springfield. Both political parties paraded the streets with bands of music, flags, &c. The poll was declared as follows:—Springfield, 430; Ives, 268. “The major part of the electors of the Great Northern Ward received a couple of guineas each for their free and independent votes.”
November 3rd 1821
An accelerated mail service was introduced between London and Norwich by the Postmaster-General. By this arrangement the Norwich and Ipswich mail coach performed the journey in one hour less time than previously. On December 8th, however, it was announced that in consequence of the Ipswich mail not having kept to the prescribed rate of travelling the Post Office authorities had been obliged to return to the former times of departure and arrival in respect to the London mail. On the 17th a new contract was entered into, by which the London mail to Norwich was conveyed _viâ_ Newmarket. The coach reached the city at ten o’clock am. and departed at five p.m.
November 4th 1821
A great gale occurred on the Norfolk coast, many vessels were driven ashore between Yarmouth and Wells, and several foundered at sea.
November 10th 1821
“Mr. Charles Thurtell, son of Mr. Thomas Thurtell, of Lakenham, has obtained a lieutenancy on board the Rochefort, now in the Mediterranean.”
November 13th 1821
Died at Biddeford, Devonshire, aged 63, Major Charles Berkeley Money, Royal Marines. “He had retired from the service some years on account of a severe wound received when captain on board the Royal Sovereign on the glorious 1st of June. He was a native and freeman of Norwich.”
November 16th 1821
A severe storm took place. The roads were in many parts of the county rendered impassable by the heavy rains, and the marshes and low grounds were flooded.
November 18th 1821
Died at the house of his son-in-law, Mr. William Mason, of Necton, the Rev. Paul Colombine, D.D., rector of Little Plumstead with Witton and Brundall, perpetual curate of Hardley, and rector of Chilton, Suffolk. He was presented to the living of Thurlton by the Mayor and Corporation of Norwich in 1757. He was in his 92nd year.
November 23rd 1821
Died, aged 62, Mr. William Burrows, alderman of the Great Northern Ward, and Sheriff of Norwich in 1817.
November 24th 1821
Dr. Yelloly was elected physician to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, in place of Dr. Rigby, deceased.
November 26th 1821
Mr. Peter Finch was elected an alderman of the Great Northern Ward, Norwich, in place of Mr. William Burrows, deceased.
December 1st 1821
A troop of the 4th Light Dragoons, under the command of Capt. Pratt, left Norwich for Romford.
December 3rd 1821
A coursing party at Horsford “started a fine stout fox which was instantly pursued by a brace of fleet greyhounds. He kept before them for more than half a mile when the dogs turned him. After beating them off for more than an hour he was taken alive. Soon after Sir George Brograve’s huntsman and hounds came up, when the coursing party, who had joined in the chase, offered to unbag the fox for another run, but he was found too exhausted and injured for the purpose, and it became necessary to give him the _coup de grace_, and his head and brush were carried off in triumph.”
December 7th 1821
Mr. R. Hamond turned off a deer at Swaffham which led the field a chase of nearly 30 miles. “It crossed the river twice, and what is most extraordinary Mr. A. Hamond, who is in his 81st year, partook of the whole chase, and was at the spot when the deer was taken near Lynn.”
December 8th 1821
“Died last week at Ramsgate, at an advanced age, the Rev. Samuel Vince, M.A., F.R.S., Plumian Professor of Astronomy in the University of Cambridge, and Archdeacon of Bedford. He was also rector of Kirby Bedon and vicar of South Creake.”
December 11th 1821
Died at his house in Mansfield Street, Sir Martin Browne ffolkes, Bart, of Hillington Hall, M.P., F.R.S. He was created baronet in 1774, served the office of High Sheriff in 1783, and in 1790 was elected member of Parliament for King’s Lynn, and continued to represent the borough without intermission until the time of his death.
December 11th 1821
An inquest was held at Lynn by Mr. Samuel Hadley, one of the coroners of the borough, on the body of Robert Roberson, who was shot by Mr. Henry Pond, a linen draper in High Street, whilst in the act of breaking into his shop. The jury returned a verdict of justifiable homicide.
December 15th 1821
“Robberies and depredations upon the public having been made to an extent hitherto unknown, it is the determination of the justices in certain Hundreds to form an establishment that will give vigour and effect to the exertions of the magistrates in preventing robberies, burglaries, larcenies, poaching, and felonies of various descriptions.”
December 17th 1821
Cooke’s Company of Equestrians commenced a season’s engagement at the Norwich Pantheon.
December 18th 1821
A deputation waited upon Mr. Alderman Crisp Brown, of Norwich, to acquaint him that 300 citizens had subscribed for his full-length portrait, as a mark of “the respect and esteem entertained towards him for his manly and loyal conduct upon all occasions, and for the strenuous exertions which he made during his mayoralty to promote the better observance of the Lord’s day.” The portrait, by Clover, was hung in St. Andrew’s Hall in October, 1822.
December 22nd 1821
“Mr. Alexander Baring has purchased the mansion and domains of the Hon. Mr. Petre in Norfolk, it is said for £300,000. The estate is situate near Thetford, and there are 26,000 acres of land.”
December 22nd 1821
“An experiment has been tried for the bettering of the condition of the labourers in agriculture, and for reducing the poor rates in the parish of Terrington by the apportionment of parcels of land from one to five roods, which has been found, after three years’ trial, to be productive of the happiest effects.”
December 23rd 1821
During a violent gale from the N.N.W. a new East Indiaman, the Indian, of 400 tons, from Hull to London, was wrecked off Yarmouth. The crew of 20 hands and a small part of her stores were saved. The value of the ship and cargo was estimated at £10,000.
December 25th 1821
Service was held at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, when “the lighting of the church was strikingly beautiful, and had a very imposing effect by the admission of some additional lamps, which were very judiciously arranged, giving to the altar and the communion plate upon the table a very brilliant and splendid appearance.”
December 28th 1821
A prize fight took place at Testerton Park, the residence of Major Case, between Barlee, the Berghapton Groom, and Gales, the Norwich butcher. The former was attended by Ned Painter and Hervey, and the latter by Josh Hudson and Cullington. Seventy-eight rounds were fought in one hour three minutes, and the battle was won by Barlee. “Barlee, on being declared victor, immediately planted an oak in the ring in the presence of about 5,000 spectators in front of Testerton Hall. The two young pugilists were, by order of Major Case, taken under his hospitable roof and put to bed, where everything needful was generously offered them. A large party of the Fancy had the honour of dining with the major.”