January 1st 1820
(Advt.) “Ned Painter begs to inform his friends and the public that he has taken the Sun and Anchor Tavern, Lobster Lane, Norwich, where he will have for their accommodation the best ales, London porter, spirits, wine, &c., and he hopes by strict attention to merit patronage and support. N. P. begs to inform the Amateurs of Norwich and Norfolk that he intends to give private lessons in sparring in the most scientific style and at reasonable terms at all hours of the day.”
January 13th 1820
Died at Catton, aged 68, Mr. Robert Harvey, an Alderman of Norwich, and a magistrate for the county. He served the office of Sheriff in 1784, and of Mayor in 1787.
January 15th 1820
Very severe weather set in. The thermometer fell to seven degrees. A rapid thaw took place on the 18th, and a flood ensued.
January 17th 1820
Lord and Lady Castlereagh, accompanied by the Marquis of Ancram, arrived in Norwich on their way to visit Lord Suffield at Gunton. Whilst the horses were being changed at the Angel, a mob hooted and hissed the visitors, and one of the ringleaders was seized by Mr. Crisp Brown.
January 18th 1820
Died in London, aged 92, Mrs. Linley, widow of Mr. Linley, formerly proprietor of Drury Lane Theatre, who was father of the first Mrs. Sheridan, and of the Rev. O. T. Linley, of Norwich.
January 20th 1820
The Duke of Wellington passed through Norwich on his way to Gunton. His grace returned to the city on the 27th on his journey back to town.
January 21st 1820
Died, John Nash, of Hempnall. He was clerk of the parish 56 years, keeper of the Swan Inn 35 years, and at the age of 40 weighed 24 stone.
January 23rd 1820
Died at Ludham, aged 79, Thomas Smith, shoemaker. “By his particular request he was carried to the grave by six men of his own trade, each with his leather apron tied round him, and stirrups with hand leathers attached slung across their shoulders.”
January 24th 1820
Fox’s birthday was commemorated by a dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, at which 460 noblemen and gentlemen were present. The company included H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Albemarle (who presided), Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., &c.
January 25th 1820
Intelligence was received in Norwich of the death of H.R.H. the Duke of Kent.
January 27th 1820
The Castle Corporation at Norwich celebrated their 55th anniversary.
January 29th 1820
Mr. Harley, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The performances were interrupted by the intelligence of the death of George III., and were resumed on February 17th. His characters included Marplot (“The Busybody”), Tristran Fickle (“The Weathercock”), Popolino (“The Sleeping Draught”), Risk (“Love Laughs at Locksmiths”), Caleb Quotem (“The Wags of Windsor”), Peter Fidget (“The Boarding House”), Phantom (“Frightened to Death”), and Somno (“The Sleep Walker”).
January 30th 1820
A messenger from London brought to Lord and Lady Castlereagh, who were staying at Gunton Hall, intelligence of the death of George III., which was announced in Norwich on the morning of the 31st. Most of the shops were immediately closed, and the bells of the parish churches were tolled for three hours.
February 2nd 1820
The accession of George IV. was proclaimed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, by Sir William Windham Dalling, Bart., High Sheriff of the county of Norfolk, who was accompanied by Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, M.P., and other gentlemen, who gave three cheers for his Majesty. In accordance with a writ addressed to the Mayor and Sheriffs of Norwich on the 1st inst., the proclamation was made in the city with due formality on the 2nd. The Corporation assembled at the Guildhall, and the 14th Light Dragoons paraded in the Market Place. From the leads of the Guildhall, after a flourish of trumpets, the Town Clerk (Mr. Elisha de Hague) read the proclamation amid loud cheers. A procession was afterwards formed and passed through the city, the proclamation being read at various points. “At the upper gate of the Close the Under Chamberlain advanced and demanded the gates to be opened in pursuance of the King’s writ. Mr. J. Kitson, the Chapter clerk, then answered from within, ‘In obedience to his Majesty’s commands the gates shall be opened.’” After the proclamation had been made in the Close the procession returned to the Guildhall, where refreshments were served. The proclamation was made in similar form at Yarmouth, Lynn, and Thetford.
February 16th 1820
This being the day of the funeral of the late King, all the shops in Norwich were closed, and almost every person appeared in deep mourning. The Mayor, members, and officials of the Corporation, wearing black scarfs over their robes, went in solemn procession to the Cathedral, where a sermon was preached by the Rev. Prebendary Thurlow. At the different churches and chapels throughout the city proper Psalms and lessons were read, and in the evening muffled peals were rung.
February 21st 1820
Died in the Council Chamber at the Guildhall, Norwich, Mr. Thomas Back, aged 52. He served the office of Sheriff in 1802, was elected alderman of the Great Ward of Mancroft in 1808, and Mayor in 1809; and shortly before his death was appointed a deputy lieutenant for the county of Norfolk.
February 24th 1820
Mr. Young appeared at Norwich Theatre as Othello. On subsequent evenings he sustained the characters of Brutus, The Stranger, Sir Edward Mortimer (“The Iron Chest”), King John, Petruchio, and Coriolanus.
March 1st 1820
A severe storm and high flood occurred in the Lynn district. A large number of vessels were stranded on the Norfolk coast.
March 2nd 1820
Died at Norwich, aged 85, Mr. Starling Day, who served the office of Sheriff in 1775, was elected alderman in 1777, and Mayor in 1782-1812.
March 6th 1820
Miss Brunton appeared at Norwich Theatre as Rosalind. She also played the parts of Lady Contest (“The Wedding Day”), and Lady Teazle (to the Charles Surface of Mr. Brunton). In a piece, entitled “An Actress of all Work,” she sustained seven different characters.
March 7th 1820
Parliament having been dissolved by proclamation on February 28th, consequent upon the death of the late King, the Norwich election was fixed for this date. The sitting representatives, Mr. William Smith and Mr. R. H. Gurney, were returned without opposition. The circumstance of a Norwich election passing off without a contest had not occurred since 1774, when Sir Harbord Harbord, Bart., and Mr. Edward Bacon were elected.
March 10th 1820
Yarmouth election, which began on the 7th, concluded on this date. The result was declared as follows:—The Hon. George Anson, 753; Mr. E. E. Rumbold, 750; Lieut.-General Michel, 612; Mr. Josias H. Stracey, 612. The two first-named were elected.
March 13th 1820
Mr. T. W. Coke and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse were re-elected without opposition to represent Norfolk. Among the other local elections which took place were the following:—Thetford, Lord C. Fitzroy and Mr. N. W. R. Colbourne, returned unopposed; Castle Rising, the Earl of Rocksavage and Col. F. G. Howard, unopposed.
March 15th 1820
Died in St. Andrew’s, Norwich, aged 64, Mr. John Lovick, common councilman for the Great Ward of Wymer. He served the office of Sheriff in 1817.
March 16th 1820
At a special assembly of the Corporation of Norwich an address of condolence on the death of his late Majesty and of the Duke of Kent was unanimously passed, and afterwards presented to the King by the members for the city.
March 20th 1820
At the Lent Assizes held at Thetford, the Grand Jury made a presentment to the effect that Norwich Castle was inefficient, as then constructed, for the purposes of a county prison.
March 24th 1820
Died at Catton, aged 66, Mr. Jeremiah Ives, an acting magistrate for the county, and alderman for the Great Wymer Ward. He was Sheriff in 1782, and Mayor in 1786-1801.
March 25th 1820
“Cleansing week, at Norwich, has resulted in the restoration of the ascendancy of the ‘Purple and Orange’ party in the Corporation of the city.”
April 3rd 1820
A prize fight took place in a field at West Burlingham between Rushmore, a blacksmith, of Limpenhoe, and Layden, the Cantley carpenter. The match was for £100, subscribed by the fathers of the combatants. Rushmore was attended by Ned Painter, and Layden by Potter, of Yarmouth. “There were 44 rounds of hard milling without science or skill, and Rushmore won.”
April 3rd 1820
Mr. Kean appeared at Lynn Theatre for a short season as King Richard III., Othello, Shylock, &c.
April 6th 1820
A prize fight took place at St. Faith’s between Cox, the blacksmith, of Norwich, and Teasdale, “the noted prize fighter from London, who had been brought to Norwich and passed off as a countryman under the feigned name of Johnson.” More than 5,000 persons were present. Ned Painter and Purcell attended on Teasdale, and Warkley and Hurry on Cox. The battle lasted one hour thirteen minutes, and 65 desperate rounds were fought. “Cox faced his man and fought with great resolution, and drove his adversary over the ropes eleven times. In the end, however, superior science prevailed, and in the 65th round Cox received several violent blows on the left eye, which had been cut on one of the stakes in a fall in the second round, and victory was declared in favour of Teasdale. After the battle the imposition was discovered, and a hand bill circulated, declaring all bets void. The friends of Teasdale denied any deception, and said his name was really Johnson.”—Another battle took place for a subscription purse of £5 on the same ground, between Dan, a stonemason, of Norwich, and Sparks, a blacksmith, of Norton. Dan won after 25 rounds had been fought.
April 13th 1820
Mr. Edward Ball’s new melodrama, “Giraldi” (founded on Mrs. Opie’s popular tale, “The Russian Boy”), was performed for the first time at Norwich Theatre, and received with great applause.
April 15th 1820
A county meeting was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, the High Sheriff (Mr. G. S. Kett) presiding, at which an address of condolence on the death of the late King was adopted, and afterwards presented to his Majesty by the High Sheriff.
April 24th 1820
This day was appointed for the celebration of his Majesty’s birthday. At Norwich the Union flag was hoisted on the steeple of St. Peter Mancroft, and the bells were rung. The 14th Light Dragoons fired a _feu de joie_ in the barrack square, and the Norwich Light Horse Volunteers a salute on the Castle Meadow. The several troops of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry paraded in review order.
April 28th 1820
A grand _fête_ was given in Heydon Park in celebration of the majority of Mr. William Earle Lytton Bulwer. The inhabitants of Heydon and of the neighbouring villages went in procession to the park, where dinner was served at 155 tables. A performance was given by a troupe of equestrians, and “28 barrels of strong ale were placed in different positions in the park.”
May 1st 1820
A contested election for the office of Mayor of Norwich commenced this day and ended on the 2nd, when the result was declared as follows:—Alderman Burt, 1,173; Alderman Marsh, 1,077; Alderman Thurtell, 1,018. Mr. Burt was afterwards chosen Mayor by the aldermen.
May 2nd 1820
Died, in his 89th year, Mr. William Calthorpe, the oldest inhabitant of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. “He generally commenced his morning walk about four o’clock during the summer season, and gradually later as the days became shorter. He almost constantly attended daily prayers at St. Peter’s Church.”
May 3rd 1820
At a quarterly assembly of the Norwich Corporation, Mr. A. A. H. Beckwith was elected Speaker of the Common Council.
May 5th 1820
Four prisoners made their escape from the city gaol at Norwich. Each prisoner was wearing his leg irons, and their escape was observed. One was apprehended immediately, another was captured at Wymondham, a third at St. Augustine’s gates, and the fourth surrendered.
May 10th 1820
Died at Cheltenham, aged 57, Major-General Sir Haylett Framingham, K.C.B., colonel of the Royal Horse Artillery and commanding officer of Royal Artillery in Ireland. He was the eldest son of Mr. C. Framingham, of Swaffham, and served under Wellington in the Peninsula.
May 14th 1820
The Bishop of Norwich commenced his Ordinary Visitation at Thetford, where he confirmed 1,500 persons. The numbers confirmed in other centres in the diocese were:—At Newmarket, 2,900; Sudbury, 2,400; Bury St. Edmund’s, 4,320; Stowmarket, 2,200; Ipswich, 2,300; Woodbridge, 1,400; Framlingham, 1,900; Halesworth, 1,300; Lowestoft, 600; Beccles, 700; North Walsham, 1,370; Holt, 1,200; Fakenham, 2,000; Lynn, 2,000; Downham, 1,300; Swaffham, 1,600; and Dereham, 1,230. The Visitation concluded on July 1st, and was said to have “redounded highly to the honour of the clergy of this extensive diocese, as the number of persons confirmed greatly exceeded all former visitations.”
May 14th 1820
Died at King Street, Norwich, in her 104th year, Mrs. Laney, widow of the Rev. Benjamin Laney, formerly rector of Mulbarton.
May 20th 1820
“The depredations on the river Yare during the last five years have amounted to £25,000.”
May 24th 1820
At a meeting of the clergy of the county of Norfolk and of the diocese of Norwich, held at the Swan Inn, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, under the presidency of Archdeacon Bathurst, it was decided to petition Parliament against the claims of “the Roman Catholic persuasion.”
May 29th 1820
Pitt’s birthday was celebrated by a public dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, at which 350 noblemen and gentlemen were present. Lord Bayning presided.
June 1st 1820
A detachment of the 10th Light Dragoons, commanded by Major Stapleton, arrived at Norwich to relieve the 14th Light Dragoons, who on the same day left on their route to Canterbury.
June 4th 1820
Died at his house in the Close, Norwich, Mr. Thomas Tawell, aged 57, “who, having been deprived of his sight for some years, founded the Hospital and School for the Indigent Blind in Norwich, in 1806.”
June 13th 1820
Died, aged 84, at her house in Surrey Street, Norwich, Mrs. Holland, “formerly and for many years a respectable actress in the Norwich company.”
June 14th 1820
Died at the Great Hospital, Bishopgate Street, Norwich, aged 70, John Dale, “who for many years travelled the circuit with the Norwich company as dresser to the actresses, and whose skill and ingenuity in that capacity stood unrivalled, for the taste and excellence which he manifested in his profession. By his industry he was enabled to support his father and mother in their extreme old age.”
June 19th 1820
Mr. Booth appeared on the Norwich stage as Richard III. His other characters were King Lear, Octavian, Sir Giles Overreach, and Jerry Sneak (“The Mayor of Garrat”).
June 20th 1820
Guild Day at Norwich. The Corporation attended service at the Cathedral, and Mr. William Burt was sworn in as Mayor at the Guildhall. He afterwards entertained 600 guests at the guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall, and in the evening gave a ball at Chapel Field House.
June 22nd 1820
A fire engine, constructed by Mr. Jordan for the Norwich Union Fire Office, “was tried on the society’s house in Surrey Street. It discharged three barrels of water a minute, and its price is £78—cheaper by £50 than the more cumbrous engines.”
June 26th 1820
The First or West Norfolk Militia, commanded by the Earl of Orford, assembled on the Castle Hill, Norwich, for 28 days’ training. “The next morning the men paraded in their new scarlet coats and blue pantaloons.” The regiment was paid off on July 23rd, when “the Earl of Orford made each of the non-commissioned officers a handsome present for their exertions.”
June 28th 1820
A dinner was given at the Feathers Hotel, Holt, in honour of Mr. W. E. L. Bulwer, on his accession to the Heydon estate. Mr. R. Brereton presided over 320 guests.
June 30th 1820
A meeting of the owners and occupiers of lands and tenements in the hamlets of the city was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. J. Harvey, when resolutions were moved against the new and increased assessment of the hamlets to the poor rates, according to the valuation of property made by order of the Court of Guardians, and a subscription was started for defraying the expenses of appealing against the mulct and of any other legal proceedings.
July 3rd 1820
Holkham Sheep Shearing, which commenced on this date, was attended by a very large company. “Perhaps we cannot give our readers a better idea of the utility of the system of agriculture practised at Holkham, than to inform them that it and the adjoining country for many miles around were fifty years ago a barren waste where scarcely a rabbit could find subsistence, and that it is now the garden of England, covered with most luxuriant crops of every description.” H.R.H. the Duke of Sussex, and the Russian Princes Potemkin and Trabetzkoy, were present this year. Mr. Morton, of Leith, showed a small cast-iron plough, performing five different operations; a revolving harrow, and a weed extirpator.
July 3rd 1820
A prize fight took place on Tharston Common between Dan, the stonemason, and Gales, the butcher. The stakes amounted to £20, and 120 rounds were fought in one hour twenty-one minutes. Gales was the winner.
July 8th 1820
“We congratulate the county on the election of a Norfolk man, Dr. Hyde Wollaston, to the president’s chair of the Royal Society. It is a curious circumstance that the presidents of three very distinguished and scientific bodies, and two of the principal officers of two others are natives of this county, namely, Dr. Wollaston, president of the Royal Society; Sir James Edward Smith, president of the Linnæan Society; Dr. Astley Cooper, president of the Medical Chirurgical Society; Mr. Richard Taylor, secretary of the Linnæan Society; and Mr. John Taylor, treasurer of the Geological Society.”
July 17th 1820
The great prize fight between Painter and Oliver, commemorated by Borrow in “Lavengro,” took place near North Walsham. The stakes were £100 a side, and the amateurs of Norwich gave £20 towards the training expenses of Oliver, on condition that he fought within reasonable distance of Norwich. The battle was contested upon a platform. A staging about 100 yards in length was erected for the accommodation of spectators, for whom, also, sixty waggons were formed in a circle round the outer ring; £50 was collected at the gate, and the sums charged for admission to the seats on the staging produced £80. The greatest order prevailed among the 20,000 persons present, the ring being kept by Shelton, Randall, Turner, Scroggins, Eales, Josh Hudson, Harmer, Purcell, and other noted pugilists. Oliver was seconded by Cribb and Belcher, and Painter by Spring (his former opponent) and Paul. The odds were five and a half to four on Painter. Twelve rounds were fought, and Painter won. His colours (yellow) were hoisted upon a waggon, and he was everywhere greeted with loud cheering. Many of the London contingent lost heavily over the fight.—A second battle took place between Sampson, the Birmingham youth, and Martin, the baker (the Master of the Rolls). The former was seconded by Turner and Paul, and the latter by Cribb and Spring. The odds were six to four on Martin, who won after 29 rounds, fought in 38 minutes. It was during this fight that the thunderstorm, so vividly described by Borrow, occurred. At a dinner given at North Walsham the same evening Painter announced that this was his last appearance in the prize ring. Other “festivities” took place the same week. On the 19th there was a “turn up” between Josh Hudson and Belasco on Gurney’s bowling-green, Norwich, the former of whom was seconded by Spring and a Norwich amateur, and his opponent by Martin. Thirty-three rounds were fought, in the course of which Hudson dislocated his shoulder and lost. The sum of £10 was collected round the ring. On Saturday, 22nd, a benefit was given for Painter in the large room at the Swan Inn, at which most of the above-named pugilists appeared. “The amateurs could not separate without giving a chance to West Country Dick, who was matched against George Redgrave.” The fight was decided in the room. Dick won after a contest of eleven rounds occupying sixteen minutes.
July 17th 1820
The great main of cocks annually fought between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Cambridgeshire this year fell through. A match was accordingly arranged with the gentlemen of London. It commenced on this date at the Swan Inn, Norwich, for £10 a battle and £100 the odd, and ended on the 19th, when the local sportsmen won by four battles. Feeders: Nash, sen., for London, Lamb for Norwich.
July 19th 1820
Married at St. Luke’s Chapel, Norwich Cathedral, by the Lord Bishop, the Rev. Heaton C. de Crespigny, second son of Sir W. de Crespigny, Bart., M.P., to Miss Caroline Bathurst, third daughter of his lordship.
August 1st 1820
Died in St. John Maddermarket, Norwich, the Rev. Edward Beaumont, “who for 62 years had exercised the functions of a Catholic priest in this city.” He took up his residence in Norwich on August 1st, 1758. His remains were interred on August 8th in St. Giles’ church after the funeral service had been performed in his own chapel according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church.
August 2nd 1820
A meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, for the purpose of passing resolutions expressive of sympathy with her Majesty Queen Caroline. The Mayor (Mr. W. Burt) declined to preside and left the Hall, and Mr. Alderman Leman then took the chair. The resolutions were adopted. The only person who expressed disapproval was Mr. Kerrison Harvey, who narrowly escaped rough handling. An address of congratulation was also adopted, and was presented to the Queen by Mr. N. Bolingbroke and Mr. Edward Taylor.
August 11th 1820
Died in St. Margaret’s, Norwich, aged 46, Capt. Robert Tinkler, R.N. “He signalised himself by his intrepid bravery in several engagements, in which he had received twenty-one wounds. Capt. Tinkler was cabin boy on board his Majesty’s ship Bounty (Capt. Blyth) at the time the crew of that ship mutinied in the South Seas in 1789, and was one of the twelve persons who with the captain were turned adrift in a boat by the mutineers. Capt. Blyth and his companions, after a voyage of 1,200 leagues, during which the only sustenance they had was one ounce of bread and a quarter of a pint of water each per day, had the good fortune to arrive at the Dutch settlement of Cupan, in the island of Timor.”
August 14th 1820
Jennings, the pedestrian, undertook to walk 100 miles in twenty-two hours at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich. He covered 90 miles in twenty hours eight minutes, “and would have finished with ease, but a misunderstanding having taken place between the timekeepers he thought proper to give up.”
August 19th 1820
A detachment of the 9th Lancers marched into Norwich from Nottingham, under the command of Capt. D’Este.
August 19th 1820
The Norfolk Society celebrated the 50th year of its establishment by a dinner at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich. Mr. T. Cubitt, Father of the Society, presided, and Major Payne was vice-chairman. (This was a non-political society.)
August 19th 1820
A county meeting was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, when resolutions protesting against the mood of proceeding by Bill of Pains and Penalties against her Majesty, Queen Caroline, were adopted. A petition for presentation to the House of Commons against the Bill was also agreed to. The resolutions were moved by the Hon. George Walpole, seconded by the Ven. Archdeacon Bathurst, and supported by Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P. The High Sheriff (Mr. S. Kett) declined to preside, and Mr. Edmond Wodehouse, M.P., dissented from the proceedings as impolitic and unnecessary.
August 29th 1820
This being the anniversary of the Decollation of St. John an assembly was held at the Church Hall, Yarmouth, at which the Mayor and Corporation were present, for the purpose of electing a Mayor, chamberlain, churchwardens, and other officers of the borough for the year ensuing. “The inquest was balloted for and locked up on Tuesday afternoon, and kept without fire, candle, meat, or drink till ten o’clock on Thursday morning, when they returned the following gentlemen as being elected to fill the respective offices:—Mr. John Goat Fisher, Mayor; Mr. William Barth, chamberlain; Mr. T. Bateman and Mr. John Preston, churchwardens.”
August 29th 1820
A contest for freemen’s Sheriff took place at Norwich. Mr. E. T. Booth was elected with 929 votes, against 478 recorded for Mr. Peter Finch.
Rear-Admiral Philip Wilkinson assumed this month the surname and the arms of Stephens, in compliance with the request contained in the will of his maternal great uncle, Sir Philip Stephens, Bart., for many years Secretary to the Admiralty.
September 1st 1820
Mr. Robert Hamond, shooting in West Norfolk, killed to one brace of pointers, and “without cleaning his gun,” 53 brace of partridges, a hare, and a landrail. He missed eight shots, lost only one brace of birds, and had only one double shot. The gun was by Scarlett, of Swaffham.
September 5th 1820
A prize fight took place on Ashby Common, near Thurton, between Cox, the Norwich blacksmith, and Barlee, the Berghapton Groom, for a purse of £25. Walkley and Payne seconded Cox, and Ned Painter and Teasdale waited upon Barlee. “The odds were greatly in favour of Cox till the 30th round, when Barlee planted some severe blows, and in the 47th round floored his opponent. In the 53rd round Cox made a desperate effort and beat, or rather ran down, his opponent in every round till the 80th. The betting was now seven to four in favour of Cox. Barlee again exerted himself, and in the next six rounds planted several desperate hits on his adversary’s face, and in the 88th round brought Cox to the ground by a tremendous blow under the jaw, and won the fight in one hour twenty-three minutes. Cox’s head and face presented a frightful spectacle, and not a feature of his countenance could be distinguished.”
September 5th 1820
Died at the house of Mr. Robert Marsham, at Stratton, Sir Edmund Bacon, premier baronet, of Raveningham. He was in his 71st year, and his death was occasioned by a fall from his carriage on August 30th. “Sir Edmund was director of the Loddon and Clavering Incorporation, and chairman of the committee of the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum. He had made unremitting exertions to improve the public roads. It was one of his fixed opinions that the roads might be kept in a good state of repair by the fair performance of the Statute duty without the imposition of tolls, and he practically evinced the truth of the opinion which he had formed. In the attainment of this important object he had to encounter the prejudices of the ignorant and the complaints of the interested, but he steadily pursued his course regardless of the unpopularity which he thus caused, and at length had the gratification of making converts of his most decided opponents.”
September 12th 1820
Miss Macauley, from the King’s Concert Room, London, gave her literary and musical entertainment, _La Petit Souper_, at Norwich Theatre. On the 14th she gave a dramatic reading at the New Concert Room, St. George’s.
September 18th 1820
A fire broke out on the premises of Mr. Neale, coach maker, St. Giles’ Gates. The whole range of workshops was consumed, and damage done to the amount of £2,000.
September 24th 1820
Died at his seat at Nackington, Kent, Mr. Richard Milles, of North Elmham, aged 85.
September 25th 1820
Cossey bells, rehung by Messrs. T. and J. Hurry, of Norwich, were re-opened. “Five good hats” were offered for competition.
September 29th 1820
Mr. Henry Francis and Mr. E. T. Booth, Sheriffs of Norwich, gave a dinner to 130 guests at Chapel Field House. “A turtle, weighing 130 lbs., was dressed by Mr. Snow, and so highly relished that not a fragment remained.”
October 1st 1820
Died, aged 47, at Dunkirk, Mr. Charles William Jerningham, second son of Sir William Jerningham, of Costessey. “Mr. Jerningham had served eight camps in the Austrian Army with distinguished valour, being engaged in the great battles of Jemappe and Fleurus, and was several times wounded.” His remains were interred at Costessey on October 23rd.
October 7th 1820
“It is with mingled feelings of shame and disgust that we state no less than four pugilistic battles were fought on Sunday morning last on Mousehold Heath, near Norwich, and that many hundreds of persons were present to witness the unchristianlike scene.”
October 16th 1820
At a dinner held at the King’s Arms Inn, North Walsham, under the presidency of Capt. Simpson, Capt. Cooper was presented with a piece of plate by the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood as a testimony of their high esteem for his public conduct and private worth.
October 19th 1820
At the opening concert of the Harmonic Society, Mr. and Miss Mori made their first appearance in Norwich. Mr. Mori is stated to have been “well known as one of the first violin performers of the present day.”
October 21st 1820
The Rev. Edward Bankes, LL.B., was installed a Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral, in place of the Rev. George Anguish, A.M., resigned.
October 21st 1820
“Died at her father’s house in Gun Lane, in this city, aged 19, Miss Smith, daughter of Mr. Smith, of Norwich Theatre.”
November 3rd 1820
Died at Yarmouth, aged 70, Sir Edmund Lacon, Bart., senior alderman of the borough. He four times served the office of Mayor. He was succeeded by Mr. Edmund Knowles Lacon, of Ormsby.
November 11th 1820
Soon after the arrival at Norwich of the coaches with the intelligence of the abandonment of the Bill of Pains and Penalties after its third reading in the House of Lords, the bells of “one or two of the minor parishes” were rung, a few houses illuminated, and parties paraded the streets with flambeaux, crying “Light up for the Queen.” An attempt to make a bonfire on the Castle ditches was prevented by the magistrates, many of the torches were put out, and eight of the torch bearers taken to the watch-house. In view of a disturbance 1,000 special constables were sworn in on the 13th, on which evening a procession was formed on Tombland. In passing through the city the mob groaned outside houses which were not illuminated, and an iron ball was hurled through the window of Dr. Reeve’s house in St. Giles’. On the 23rd a public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, presided over by the Mayor, when congratulatory resolutions and an address to the Queen were adopted. (The address was subsequently presented to her Majesty at Bradenburgh House by Mr. N. Bolingbroke, who was accompanied by Mr. W. Smith, M.P., and Mr. Edward Taylor.) After the meeting a bonfire was lighted in the Market Place. “We understand that an impression of the NORFOLK CHRONICLE (surely not dishonoured by being obnoxious to such a crew) was committed to the flames.” Demonstrations took place at Yarmouth, Lynn, and other towns.
November 13th 1820
The Olympic Circus was opened by Mr. T. Cooke at the Pantheon, Norwich.
November 19th 1820
Died in St. Andrew’s, Norwich, aged 81, an eccentric person named Charles Archer. “It was his constant practice to be at his post every morning at four o’clock with his kettle of hot cocoa and saloop. His station was near the Two-Necked-Swan, and he was allowed half a pint of porter each morning for calling up the landlord at six, which custom continuing 14 years he drank at that house 2,556 half pints, or something more than 319 gallons. He had formerly been in the 12th Regiment of Foot, and lost a leg in the memorable siege of Gibraltar, for which he was granted a pension which he received 39 years. But what most affected his mind next to the misfortune of having his leg shot away was to see a hog, a circumstance related by himself, snatch it up in his mouth and run away with it without his being able to prevent it.”
November 28th 1820
Died, in his 82nd year, at the Great Hospital, Bishopgate Street, Norwich, Robert Davey, “who for several years was leader of the nocturnal band of musicians vulgarly called ‘mumpers,’ though their performances justly entitled them to a more respectable appellation. He personated Orpheus in the grand procession which took place in Norwich in honour of Bishop Blaize on March 24th, 1783.”
November 29th 1820
H.R.H. the Duke of York passed through Norwich on his way to Gunton Hall, the seat of Lord Suffield. On the duke’s approach to St. Stephen’s Gates the horses were taken from his carriage, and it was dragged through St. Stephen’s Street and Rampant Horse Street to the Market Place. After changing horses at the Angel Inn, his Royal Highness proceeded on his journey. On the following day the Duke of Wellington passed through the city on his way to Gunton.
November 30th 1820
Died, aged 102, Mr. John Walden, of Wells-next-the-Sea.
December 1st 1820
A special assembly of the Norwich Corporation was held at which a loyal address to his Majesty was adopted. Similar addresses were passed by the Corporations of Yarmouth and Lynn.
December 2nd 1820
At a special assembly of the Corporation it was resolved to grant the honorary freedom of Norwich to the Duke of York and the Duke of Wellington. These illustrious personages arrived unexpectedly in the city on their return from Gunton on the following day (Sunday, 3rd). After attending service at the Cathedral they proceeded to the Angel Inn, where the Mayor (Mr. William Burt), the Sheriffs, and other civic officials waited upon them. The Steward (Mr. Robert Alderson) read the address passed on the previous day, and the admission to the freedom of the city was completed in due form. His Royal Highness and the Duke of Wellington returned thanks, and afterwards invited the company to luncheon. On their departure from Norwich the same afternoon they were enthusiastically cheered.
December 9th 1820
The Duke of Gloucester visited Col. Dixon at Rainham, and afterwards proceeded to Holkham as the guest of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P.
December 10th 1820
Died at Hethel, aged 68, Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., D.L., one of the chairmen of Norfolk Quarter Sessions.
December 13th 1820
A meeting of the owners, occupiers, and inhabitants of the hamlets was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, to take into consideration the expediency of establishing an effective police for the district. Resolutions were passed asking the assistance of the city magistrates. In consequence of the numerous highway robberies and burglaries, and other depredations committed in city and county, public meetings were held and resolutions passed granting a reward of £5 to watchmen who apprehended offenders. It was stated that more burglaries had been committed within the three preceding months than in the former twenty years.
December 25th 1820
The Hon. George John Watson, of North Elmham, second son of the Right Hon. Baron Sondes, deceased, assumed the surname and arms of Milles, in compliance with the will of his maternal grandfather, Mr. Richard Milles, of North Elmham, and of Nackington, Kent.
December 27th 1820
A meeting, presided over by Mr. John Morse, Father of the City, was held at the Angel Inn, Norwich, at which resolutions expressive of attachment to his Majesty’s person and Government, and to the established constitution in Church and State were passed, and a loyal address to the King adopted. The address, which received 1,634 signatures, was presented to his Majesty in the following January by Mr. Charles Harvey, M.P., Mr. John Harvey, alderman, and Sir Robert John Harvey. Similar addresses were adopted by the Corporations of Yarmouth and Lynn.