It was announced this month that Mr. Thomas Clabburn, of All Saints, Norwich, had left the following bequests: To the parishes of St. John Timberhill, St. Michael-at-Thorn, St. Michael-at-Coslany, and St. John Sepulchre, £200 each; and to All Saints’ and St. Paul’s, £400 each; the interest to be given in bread and coals the first Monday in February each year. To the parish of Tasburgh, £400; and to Tharston, Flordon, and Newton Flotman, £200 each; the interest to be applied in like manner. To the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, £800; to the Treasurer of Cook’s Hospital, £800; and the like sum to the Hospital, on trust, “that the poor women therein might receive one shilling each every Monday for ever”; to the Bethel, £200; and a like sum to seven of the benevolent institutions in Norwich.
January 12th 1819
A new peal of six bells hung in St. Gregory’s Church by Mr. Hurry, of Norwich, was opened by the St. Peter Mancroft ringers, and a dinner in commemoration of the event took place at the Old Goat, Goat Lane.
January 13th 1819
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions was tried the appeal Burrows _v._ J. Stracey. The appellant was the keeper of the Norfolk and Norwich Arms public-house at Sprowston, and was convicted by the respondent under 26th George III., for selling beer without a licence, when in reality he then had a licence authorising him to do so from the Supervisor of Excise for Norwich under certificate from the magistrates of that city. He appealed against the conviction on the ground that the county magistrates had not the power to grant him such licence, his house being situated in the county of the city of Norwich, and not within the county of Norfolk as contended by the respondent. Counsel for the appellant produced the Charter made in the reign of Philip and Mary, whereby various lands lying in the county were granted to the Corporation of Norwich, amongst which was that part of Sprowston where the appellant’s house stood. The Town Clerk of Norwich was called for the respondent, and said he never remembered the magistrates of the city having exercised acts of jurisdiction over the locality in question, nor had it ever paid rates to the city. The court confirmed the conviction.
January 14th 1819
Died at his apartments in Drury Lane, London, Mr. E. H. Seymour, formerly of Norwich Theatre. He was author of a work dedicated to Sheridan—“Remarks Critical, Conjectural, and Explanatory on the Works of Shakespeare.”
January 23rd 1819
Madame Tussaud’s collection of “composition figures representing ninety public characters” was exhibited at the Angel Inn, Norwich.
January 25th 1819
The Fox birthday dinner, held at the Norwich Assembly Rooms, was presided over by the Earl of Albemarle, who was supported by Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., Viscount Bury, the High Sheriff, and Mr. W. Smith, M.P.
January 29th 1819
The Rev. Levi Walton was elected headmaster of the Free School, Scarning, in place of the Rev. St. John Priest, whose predecessor was the Rev. Robert Potter, Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral.
Died, this month, aged 100, Thomas Goodings, carpenter, of Lammas.
February 2nd 1819
The petition of the Norwich Grand Jury at the last Summer Assizes, praying for two general gaol deliveries in the year, was presented to the House of Commons by Mr. W. Smith. Mr. Colborne, member for Thetford, presented another petition from the Mayor and Corporation of that borough, praying that there should be no change in the existing arrangements. On the 24th the Corporation of Norwich petitioned Parliament in favour of Assizes being held twice a year in the city.
February 2nd 1819
At a general Court of Guardians held at Norwich, Dr. Rigby reported that small-pox had made its appearance in several parishes in the city, and an order was made that the city surgeons vaccinate all poor persons desirous of availing themselves of their assistance.
February 3rd 1819
Mr. J. W. H. Payne, a native of Norwich, where he was formerly a printer and bookseller, “being reduced in circumstances was allowed to appear at the Theatre in the character of Hamlet. He succeeded in exciting the risibility of the other performers, and the loud laughter of the audience.” IMPROMPTU ON MR. PAYNE’S PERFORMANCE AS HAMLET. “Let mortal man his grief and care give o’er, Nor crave the aid of potion or of pill; For Payne now makes our sides with laughter sore, And, tho’ he threatens, yet—neglects to kill.”
February 8th 1819
Mr. Mathews appeared at Norwich Theatre as Solomon Gundy (“Who Wants a Guinea?”). His impersonations on succeeding evenings included Scrub (“The Beaux’ Stratagem”) and Goldfinch (“The Road to Ruin”). He also gave his entertainments, “A Trip to Paris,” “At Home,” and “The Actor of All Work.”
February 9th 1819
At a general meeting of the Norwich Paving Act Commissioners a plan submitted by Mr. Gostling, of Birmingham, for lighting the city with gas was taken into consideration, and on the motion of Mr. P. M. Martineau it was agreed, by 26 votes to 17, that “it is expedient to light such parts of the city with gas on the plan suggested and that the necessary steps be taken to carry the plan into effect.” A committee was also appointed to further the project. On September 30th a meeting was held at the Guildhall for the purpose of receiving information relative to the proposed introduction of oil gas. The meeting was adjourned until the 25th, when the Mayor was invited to call a public meeting. The Paving Commissioners met on October 12th, when permission was given to break up the streets to lay down pipes, provided that such breaches were repaired to the satisfaction of the City Surveyor at the expense of the promoters. A public meeting was held on October 26th, at which it was recommended that a company be formed for the purpose of lighting the city with oil gas, and that not less than £2,500 be raised in shares of £25 each for carrying the resolution into effect. Two separate bodies appear to have come into existence, the one known as the Oil Gas Company, and the other as the Oil Gas Community. These bodies adjusted their differences, and on December 1st Mr. Charles Harvey obtained leave in the House of Commons to bring in a Bill for lighting with gas the city and county of the city of Norwich. The Bill was read a second time on December 21st, and in due course became law. On January 31st, 1820, the first of the iron gas pipes were laid in the Market Place; and on May 10th, 1820, the street lamps and burners in several shops were lighted with gas for the first time. “In the Market Place it produced a strong and steady light as far as it extended, and before Messrs. Bignold’s house and office in Surrey Street, where there were three lamps, the effect was brilliant.”
February 12th 1819
A salmon measuring 48 inches in length, 23 inches in girth, and weighing 33 lbs., was caught at the New Mills, Norwich. “These fish, which are frequently taken in the same place, are mistaken by some for trouts or salmon trouts.”
February 15th 1819
Miss Booth, of Covent Garden Theatre, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Letitia Hardy (“The Belle’s Stratagem”). Her other impersonations included Little Pickle (“The Spoiled Child”), Helen Worret (“Man and Wife”), Priscilla Tomboy (“The Romp”), Angela (“The Castle Spectre”), Amanthus (“Child of Nature”), and Mary (“The Innkeeper’s Daughter”).
February 16th 1819
Miss Fanny Brunton made her _début_ at Lynn Theatre as Una (“The Wood Demon”). Mr. Brunton spoke an introductory address. At the close of the Lynn season, Mr. Brunton and his company proceeded to Birmingham, where he had engaged the Theatre on his own account.
February 18th 1819
Died in London, Sir Thomas Berners Plestow, Kt., of Watlington Hall, aged 70.
February 20th 1819
Elizabeth Wells, wife of Robert Wells, of Gressenhall, gave birth to four living children—three boys and a girl.
February 24th 1819
The honorary freedom of the city was conferred upon Mr. R. H. Gurney, M.P., for Norwich.
February 24th 1819
The portrait, by Clover, of Mr. B. Leman, Alderman of Norwich, was ordered to be placed in St. Andrew’s Hall.
February 24th 1819
The Corporation of Norwich petitioned Parliament praying that the punishment of death for the crime of forgery be commuted for one less severe, and for a general revision of the penal laws.
February 27th 1819
One John Larkin was apprehended at Norwich “on a strong suspicion of being the person who stole a bag containing £4,739 in notes belonging to the Fakenham bank, on August 13th, 1817, from the messenger’s gig, which was conveying it from Messrs. Gurney’s bank in Norwich.” (There is no further reference to this case.)
March 7th 1819
Died, in her 89th year, Mrs. Mary Murray, widow of Dr. John Murray, of Norwich. “Possessing a disposition congenial with that of her late excellent husband, her long life was distinguished by the practice of benevolence and of every Christian virtue.”
March 8th 1819
A new tragedy, entitled “Bertha,” written by Mr. Edward Ball, of Norwich, was produced for the first time at Norwich Theatre.
March 8th 1819
A public meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which a subscription was raised for the relief of the distressed inhabitants of the Scilly Islands. It amounted to £315.
March 9th 1819
The Hon. Edward Harbord, the unsuccessful candidate for Norwich at the previous General Election, arrived in the city and dined with the King and Constitution Club at the Maid’s Head Inn. He was elected a member of the club.
March 9th 1819
At a meeting of merchants, manufacturers, and tradesmen, held at the Guildhall, Norwich, it was resolved to petition Parliament to amend and alter the Acts for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors in England.
March 15th 1819
Capt. Manby exhibited before the Mayor and Corporation of Yarmouth “a light fire cart, provided with the necessary apparatus ready on the alarm of fire, to be applied by one man.”
March 15th 1819
Mrs. Faucett, formerly a permanent member of the Norwich Company, and afterwards of Covent Garden Theatre, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Widow Cheerly (“The Soldier’s Daughter”). During her engagement she also impersonated Clara (“Matrimony”), Florinda (“The Apostate”), Mrs. Haller (“The Stranger”), Lady Contest (“The Wedding Day”), and Ellen Rosenberg.
March 16th 1819
The foundation stone of Prince’s Street Chapel, Norwich, was laid by the Rev. John Alexander. A brass plate was placed in the stone with the following inscription:—“This plate was deposited on the 16th day of March, 1819, and in the 59th year of the reign of George III., in the foundation stone of the Protestant Dissenting Chapel, erected on a piece of freehold ground in the city of Norwich, and in the parishes of St. Michael-at-Plea and St. Peter Hungate, by the congregation attending the ministry of the Rev. John Alexander.” The building was opened for service as the Independent Chapel on December 1st, 1819, when sermons were preached by the Rev. Thomas Raffles, A.M., Liverpool, and the Rev. John Leifchild, of Kensington.
March 20th 1819
“We understand that the cooping of freemen preparatory to election of nominees for the Long Ward, Norwich, on the 31st inst., commenced more than a fortnight ago. This practice has hitherto been treated with much indifference, but as it is likely to be annually resorted to, every sincere friend of the purity of election and of the real interests of the poor men who are thereby taken from their families and from their ordinary occupations, must view it in a very serious light.” The election of common councilmen commenced in the week beginning March 28th. “The consequence of this year’s struggle has been to continue the ascendancy of the ‘Blue and White’ interest in the Common Council. Both parties succeeded in creating a superabundance of noise and confusion and in putting themselves to a vast deal of trouble, vexation, and expense. In length of purse the ‘Blues and Whites’ appear to possess a decided advantage over their ‘Purple and Orange’ opponents, and cooping, bribing, and corrupting were freely and openly practised.”
March 29th 1819
Mr. Richard Mingay, a well-known member of the orchestra at Norwich Theatre, appeared upon the stage as Crack in the farce of “The Turnpike Gate.”
April 1st 1819
A prize fight for a subscription purse of £50, given by the amateurs of Norwich, took place on Rumburgh Green, near Bungay, between Purcell and Warkley, of Norwich, a pupil of Oliver. The former was seconded by Ned Painter and Fuller, and the latter by Oliver and Scroggins. Forty-five rounds were fought in two hours three minutes, and the battle ended in favour of Purcell.
April 3rd 1819
A grand boxing entertainment took place at the White Swan, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, at which Oliver, Fuller, Turner, and Scroggins appeared.
April 5th 1819
Died at St. George’s Colegate, Norwich, aged 67, Mr. John Aldis, who served the office of Sheriff in 1813.
April 10th 1819
Died, aged 101, Charles Grimmer, of Norwich.
April 10th 1819
Died, Mr. George Cobb, of Diss, aged 100.
April 10th 1819
James Belcham was executed on Castle Hill, Norwich, for committing a burglary in an outhouse at Castleacre. He was 34 years old, and “left an aged mother, a wife in her last stage of pregnancy, and two children.” The execution was witnessed by many well-dressed women. The culprit was buried in Castleacre churchyard, and on the Sunday following the execution “a funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Gibbs to a congregation amounting to 1,000 persons.”
April 15th 1819
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, at which it was decided to petition Parliament against the duty of 6s. 6d. per chaldron on coals.
April 17th 1819
“We are informed that three cargoes of _foreign barley_ have arrived this week at Yarmouth, which were purchased in London, and that the greater part is already brought to this city (Norwich), where it will be malted. It is a novel circumstance to have barley in the London markets at such low prices as to induce the Norfolk maltsters to bring it into this great barley county to be manufactured into malt.”
April 17th 1819
“Several of those machines denominated Pedestrian Hobby Horses have been exhibited here this week. The principle of this invention is taken from the art of skating, and consists in the simple idea of a seat upon two wheels propelled by the feet acting upon the ground. The riding seat or saddle is fixed on a perch upon two double shod wheels, running after each other, so that they can go upon the footways. To preserve a balance a small board covered and stuffed is placed before on which the arms are laid, and in front of which is a little guiding pole, which is held in the hand to direct the route. The swiftness with which a person can travel is almost beyond belief—eight, nine, or even ten miles an hour may be done on good level ground.”
April 18th 1819
In response to a circular letter issued by the Bishop of Norwich to the clergy of the diocese, sermons were preached at the Cathedral, and at most of the churches in the city and county in aid of the funds of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The effort was made chiefly with the view of assisting the Bishop of Calcutta (the Right Rev. Dr. Middleton, formerly of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich), in his benevolent plans to establish Christianity in the East Indies. The collections, subscriptions, and benefactions exceeded £1,800.
April 19th 1819
A three “double day play of cocks” commenced at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Cambridge, for 10 guineas a battle and 200 guineas the odd. Norwich won by a single battle. Feeders: Lamb for Norwich, Thompson for Cambridge.
April 24th 1819
Master Sewell, the Lincolnshire gigantic youth, 13 years of age, and weighing 18 stone, and Miss Elenor Fitzjohn, Queen of the Dwarfs, 19 years old, 30 inches high, and weighing 27 lbs., were exhibited at the Two-Necked Swan, Market Place, Norwich.
April 24th 1819
Died at St. Stephen’s, Norwich, aged 60, Mr. James Wade, butcher. He served the office of Sheriff in 1810.
April 26th 1819
James Bigmore, aged 20, left Sudbury at 12.30 noon with the Phenomenon coach by the side of which he ran the whole way thence to Norwich, where he arrived at five minutes to seven o’clock. “To keep up with the coach he was obliged to run eleven miles in the first hour. On arriving at places where the coach stopped he did not take refreshment or repose, but assisted in putting the horses to at every change. He was not at all distressed on reaching Norwich.”
May 1st 1819
At a meeting held at the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, it was determined to call a general meeting of the farmers to consider the propriety of establishing an agricultural association to co-operate with the London General Association for the Protection of the Rights and Interests of Agriculture. At the meeting which took place on the 15th the Norfolk Association of Agriculturists was duly formed, and on the 29th Mr. Utting, of Ashwellthorpe, was appointed president.
May 3rd 1819
George Bidder, only 12½ years of age, demonstrated in the Old Library Room, St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, his extraordinary powers of mental calculation. He made a return visit in August.
May 6th 1819
The Grand Jury at the City Sessions made a presentment to the effect that the Norwich gaol was not capable of being converted into an efficient prison for the purpose of the classification of prisoners.
May 13th 1819
Died, aged 100, Mrs. Hannah Scott, of Holt.
May 21st 1819
A meeting was held at the Assembly Room, East Dereham, to take into consideration the best means of obtaining navigation between that town and Norwich. A subscription was opened.
May 22nd 1819
Thomas Jennings, pedestrian, ran 18 miles on the turnpike road between Downham Market and Denver in two hours three minutes.
May 24th 1819
The 24th Regiment of Light Dragoons, commanded by General Loftus, and chiefly composed of Norfolk men enlisted in Norwich, was disbanded at Chatham. The regiment left England in 1796, and was actively employed in India, under Lord Lake, during the Marhatta campaigns, for which service, among other distinctions, it received an honorary standard. In general orders issued on the departure of the regiment from India on October 8th, 1818, its services were very highly spoken of.
May 26th 1819
A silver candelabrum, valued 200 guineas, was presented to Mr. John Patteson, at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, by members of the Norwich Fire and Life Societies, in recognition of the services rendered by him to the institutions. Mr. Patteson’s collection of pictures by English, Italian, and Flemish artists was this month sold by auction by Mr. Christie, and realised the sum of £2,349.
May 28th 1819
Pitt’s birthday was celebrated by a dinner at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich. Mr. J. Patteson presided.
June 1st 1819
Died suddenly at Yarmouth, Mr. Thomas Sutton, aged 66. He was surveyor to the Corporation of that borough, and was also surveyor of the works in connection with the erection of the Nelson monument. Mr. Sutton was on the summit of the pillar when he complained of dizziness, and instantly expired.
June 1st 1819
Mr. John Watson, of Chapel Field, Norwich, proprietor of the Royal Ipswich Mail coach, issued the following notice:—“As I have been unexpectedly _turned out_ of my coach office in the Angel yard, and have been the proprietor of the Ipswich mail 35 years, I trust you will continue to give that long established _City_ Coach your accustomed protection, and I hope my residence amongst you for seventy-four years will plead so much in my favour, that you will be induced to desire your parcels for the city to be sent to the Maid’s Head, St. Simon’s, or to Mr. J. M. Murry’s, No. 9½, Davey Place.”
June 4th 1819
The birthday of George III. was celebrated for the last time in Norwich, Yarmouth, Lynn, East Dereham, and other towns in the county.
June 5th 1819
“Flying Actæons” were exhibited at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich, by Messrs. Brously and Stratford. “The machine consists of a chair fixed on to a four-wheeled carriage, in which the rider sits and guides the fore wheels, turning corners in a similar manner to the velocipedes. One hand only, however, is necessary, the other being at liberty to hold an umbrella. The hind wheels, which force the machine along, are put in motion with the feet of the rider by means of two foot-boards moved up and down alternately. With the assistance of the hand bars in going up steep hills this carriage will travel at the rate of eight miles an hour, and may easily be made for two persons to sit abreast. It is equally convenient for both males and females.”
June 9th 1819
Mr. Kean commenced a short engagement at Norwich Theatre, during which he appeared as Brutus, Sir Giles Overreach, Rolla, and Hamlet.
June 13th 1819
Died at Cheltenham, aged 63, Thomas Holl, formerly of Norwich, and many years proprietor of the “Worcester Herald.”
June 17th 1819
A grave was opened under peculiar circumstances in St. Julian’s churchyard, Norwich. A woman had died of small-pox, and was buried within 48 hours of her death. It was suspected that she had been buried alive, and the rumour was circulated that groans had been heard proceeding from the grave. On the body being exhumed a medical man pronounced life to be extinct.
June 18th 1819
Died at his house on Castle Meadow, Norwich, aged 53, Mr. William Stevenson, veterinary surgeon. “He was an excellent operator, and stood alone and unrivalled in comparative anatomy and pathology.”
June 18th 1819
A piece of plate, valued at 100 guineas, was presented at the Half Moon Tavern, Yarmouth, to Mr. N. B. Palmer, in recognition of his services in securing the return to Parliament of the Hon. George Anson and Mr. Rumbold.
June 19th 1819
The Norwich and London caravans were advertised to perform the journey in 24 hours. They set out from the Angel Inn at six a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and from the Swan-with-Two-Necks, Lad Lane, London, on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday evening. Goods were conveyed from London to Norwich at 7s. per cwt., and from Norwich to London at 9s. per cwt.
June 22nd 1819
Mr. Nathaniel Bolingbroke was sworn into office as Mayor of Norwich. There was no guild feast, but 80 of the Mayor’s friends dined at the Assembly Rooms in honour of the day.
July 4th 1819
A severe thunderstorm occurred, accompanied by a tremendous hailstorm and a heavy rain. Hundreds of acres of turnips were washed away in various parts of the county. Upwards of £600 worth of damage was done to the wheat and barley crops of Mr. William Ungless, of Whitwell, near Reepham.
July 5th 1819
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. In a speech at the dinner Sir John Sinclair confessed that he came to Holkham prejudiced in favour of the broad-cast system of agriculture, but after what he had seen and heard during his visit he was now convinced that the drill system was superior.
July 8th 1819
Many deaths having occurred from small-pox in Norwich the Mayor, in accordance with a requisition, called a public meeting at the Guildhall, and resolutions were passed in favour of general vaccination. From January 6th to the September ensuing 519 deaths were recorded. “There has not been a single death from small-pox in those parishes where vaccination has most prevailed.”
July 9th 1819
Work was completed at the Nelson Monument, Yarmouth, and the scaffolding on the top removed.
July 12th 1819
The Duke of Gloucester and Princess Mary, with other distinguished personages, paid a visit to Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., at Holkham.
July 14th 1819
Died at his house in Union Place, Norwich, aged 39, Mr. William Saint, “whose extraordinary mathematical talents advanced him to the honourable situation of professor of that science in the Royal Institution at Woolwich.” In the latter part of his life he was employed in teaching mathematics in Norwich. His widow was appointed matron of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
July 20th 1819
A cricket match for £500 was played at Newmarket, between the Holt and Cambridge clubs. Holt, 93-56; Cambridge, 65-34.
July 27th 1819
A meeting, presided over by the Mayor, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, for the purpose of “taking into consideration the state of mendicity in the city.” The meeting was adjourned until October 22nd, when, on the motion of the Hon. Edward Harbord, it was unanimously resolved to establish a Society for the Suppression of Mendicity in Norwich. At the first annual meeting, held on October 9th, 1820, it was reported that 437 vagrants had been dealt with by the society, and had been relieved with food and lodgings at small expense, and others had been handled over to the magistrates as notorious impostors.
July 28th 1819
The first anniversary of the King and Constitution Club was celebrated by a dinner at the Maid’s Head Inn, Norwich. Mr. Thomas Starling Day was president, and Mr. Skipper, vice-president.
August 1st 1819
Mr. Thomas Amyot, formerly private secretary to the Right Hon. William Windham, deceased, and a resident in Norwich, was appointed Registrar under the Act for establishing a Registry of Colonial Slaves in Great Britain.
August 3rd 1819
Two troops of the 9th Lancers, commanded by Capt. Daly, arrived in Norwich to replace the 15th Light Dragoons ordered to Manchester.
August 4th 1819
A prize fight took place in Kirby Park between Cox, the Norwich blacksmith, and Christopher Barlee, the Berghapton Groom. Seventy-two rounds were fought, and Cox won. Upwards of 5,000 persona were present.
August 10th 1819
At the reception of his Majesty’s Judges of Assize at Norwich the coach of the High Sheriff of Norfolk (Sir W. W. Dalling) was drawn by a team of six piebald horses, “preceded by a full retinue”; and the City Sheriffs rode in a coach drawn by four greys, and attended by their servants.
August 10th 1819
Married, at Quidenham Church, by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, Mr. James Macdonald, M.P., only son of Sir Archibald Macdonald, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, to the Right Hon. Lady Sophia Keppel, eldest daughter of the Earl of Albemarle. A grand entertainment was given to the gentry, yeomanry, and poor of the neighbourhood in tents erected in the park; sports were held, and among the banners displayed were those taken at the Havanna by the late earl.
August 11th 1819
At the Norfolk Assizes, which commenced at Norwich on this date, John Pycraft, of Westwick, was charged before Mr. Justice Burrough, with administering arsenic to his infant child, in consequence of which it died. The prisoner, who made no defence, was, after a trial of six hours, found guilty and sentenced to death, “his body to be delivered to the surgeons to be anatomised.” The execution took place on the Castle Hill on the 16th. “The culprit had a diminutive form and decrepid figure; when the platform fell his chest expanded at intervals during the space of seven or eight minutes, although every precaution was taken to shorten his sufferings by the addition of some heavy appendages. After dissection had been performed the body was exposed to public view at the Shirehouse for one hour.”
August 12th 1819
Married at Holkham, by the Rev. Charles Anson, Archdeacon of Carlisle, the Earl of Rosebery to the Hon. Anne Margaret Anson, eldest daughter of Viscount Anson, deceased.
August 14th 1819
Messrs. R. Goose, Goldings, and Co., advertised that the “Real Telegraph” coach which ran from the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, at seven in the morning and arrived in London at eight in the evening, had “no concern whatever with the coach starting from the Angel, and called ‘The Telegraph.’” The fares were:—Inside, £1 4s.; outside, 14s.
August 14th 1819
The Norwich Society of Artists announced its 15th annual exhibition of pictures at its room in Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court. This year there was no rival exhibition.
August 23rd 1819
The Duke of Sussex, as Grand Master of England, installed Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., as Provincial Grand Master at a Masonic gathering which took place in Norwich.
August 23rd 1819
The proprietors of the Expedition coach commenced running the Defence day coach, from the White Swan Yard, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, to the Angel Inn at the back of St. Clement’s Church, Strand. The up journey was performed on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and the down on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Fares.—inside, 21s.; outside, 12s. The Expedition night coach ran as usual.
August 28th 1819
Edward Fisher, convicted at the previous Norfolk Assizes of stabbing William Harrison, was executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich. “After receiving the sacrament he long held the cup and bread with the wildest expression of agony in his eyes and features. He left a wife and seven children to lament the unhappy end of a husband and father. He was of a reserved, sullen, and gloomy temper, in his religious profession a Methodist, and to a certain degree of unsound mind.”
September 2nd 1819
A cricket match between Holt and Bungay was played on Bungay Common. “The Bungay players, although allowed Fennex, had smuggled into their side two more professed Marylebone players.” Much wrangling took place on the 3rd, when Bungay refused to go on with the game, and the match was claimed by Holt. The return match was played at Holt on the 13th; Bungay had Fennex, Sparks, and Razell on their side. Scores: Holt, 120-73; Bungay, 73-104. “Mr. Pilch, of the Holt club, made 57.” The following notice was appended to the report of the match:—“The Holt club take this opportunity of publicly declaring their determination to decline any further contest or connection whatever with the Bungay club.”
September 11th 1819
Mr. Young, who had previously appeared at Yarmouth, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. His characters included Hamlet, Macbeth, Penruddock (“The Wheel of Fortune”), King Lear, and Zanga (“The Revenge”).
September 13th 1819
The corner-stone of the new pump-room and baths at the Thetford chalybeate spring was laid with appropriate ceremony by the Duke of Grafton. His Grace and the Duchess drank of the water of the spring, dinner was served at the Guildhall, and a ball took place in the evening.
September 15th 1819
A prize fight took place on Tasburgh Common, between Barlee, the Berghapton Groom, and Belasco. Between 8,000 and 10,000 persons were present. Hundreds of women attended, “some of very dashing and many more of respectable appearance to be spectatresses of bloody noses and cross buttocks.” Forty-one rounds were fought, and the contest ended in favour of Belasco.
September 16th 1819
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, “in order to take into consideration the late disastrous transactions at Manchester on August 16th. The Mayor presided, and resolutions were passed asserting the right of the subject to petition the King. The legality of the Manchester meeting was affirmed, the conduct of the magistrates and Yeomanry Cavalry censured, and a subscription was opened for the relief of the sufferers. An address was also proposed for presentation to the Prince Regent, in which his Royal Highness was asked to remove certain ministers from his presence and councils. The address was afterwards presented to the Prince at Carleton House by the members for the city. A counter declaration was also circulated in Norwich, and received 1,608 signatures. In due course it was presented to the Prince Regent.
September 20th 1819
A meeting, presided over by the Mayor, was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, to take into consideration the best means to be adopted to carry into effect a plan for making a new street, and for erecting a bridge over the river Wensum at Duke’s Palace. The meeting was adjourned till October 18th, when a resolution in favour of the plan was rejected by a considerable majority. A meeting of the supporters of the undertaking was held on November 29th, under the presidency of Mr. George Morse, when it was reported that £7,000 of the £9,000 proposed to be raised by shares of £25 each had been subscribed. A Bill was afterwards introduced into Parliament, and was read a second time on December 17th. On February 26th it was announced that the Bill had not been passed in Committee of the House of Commons owing to the interference of the petitioners, and that the promoters would have to commence fresh proceedings in the new Parliament. On July 8th, 1820, it was stated that the Bill had passed both Houses. The foundation-stone of the bridge was laid on August 28th, 1821, by Mr. Alderman T. S. Day.
September 24th 1819
The Mayor and Corporation of Yarmouth voted a loyal address to the Prince Regent, expressive of their “detestation of the wicked and atrocious attempts of seditious and disaffected subjects in various parts of the kingdom, now openly and avowedly meditating the subversion of the laws and Government, the annihilation at once of all distinctions of rank, and the sacred rights of property.”
October 1st 1819
A squadron of the 14th Light Dragoons, under the command of Capt. Anderson, arrived at Norwich to replace the 9th Lancers. Detachments were sent to Yarmouth and Holt.
October 5th 1819
Died, aged 32, Mr. John Charles Beckwith, organist of the Cathedral and of St. Peter Mancroft church, Norwich. His remains were interred on the 11th in a grave beside that of his late father beneath the organ loft of St. Peter’s church. Mr. Z. A. Buck was, on the 9th, appointed Cathedral organist and master of the choristers, and on the 13th Mr. Alfred Pettet was elected organist by the parishioners of St. Peter Mancroft.
October 16th 1819
The East Dereham and London Telegraph coach was advertised by John Leverett and Co. It started from the Cherry Tree Inn every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 6.30 a.m., and travelled by Shipdham and Watton to the King’s Head, Thetford, to meet the Norwich Telegraph. The Dereham Telegraph then proceeded to the Woolpack Inn and the Angel Inn at Bury St. Edmund’s, whence it returned to Thetford on the following day and met the Norwich Telegraph on its return from London, and arrived at Dereham the same evening at nine o’clock. On Saturday the Dereham Telegraph ran to Norwich and back.
October 25th 1819
The Duke of Wellington passed through Norwich on his way to Blickling Hall. On changing horses at the Angel Inn he was warmly cheered by the crowd.
October 29th 1819
Pursuant to requisition a county meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, on adjournment from the Shirehouse in consequence of the excessive crowd, to “take into consideration the transactions which unfortunately took place at Manchester on August 16th.” The High Sheriff (Sir William Windham Dalling) presided, and resolutions were passed asserting the right of Englishmen to meet for the purpose of petitioning, and demanding a Parliamentary inquiry into the transactions. It was also decided to present an address to the Prince Regent. A declaration, previously published, was signed by the Lord Lieutenant and upwards of 1,000 other noblemen, gentlemen, clergy, and freeholders, expressing their reasons for dissenting from the meeting as tending to prejudice the public mind against the magistrates and military.
November 1st 1819
A peal of five bells, cast at the Whitechapel foundry, and hung by Hurry, of Norwich, was opened at Wroxham church. Five hats were offered as a prize to the company who rang the best of three peals. The South Walsham ringers won.
November 1st 1819
Sir Edward James Smith, of Norwich, President of the Linnæan Society, was elected Honorary Professor of Botany at the Royal Institution, London.
November 6th 1819
The Norwich and Yarmouth Telegraph post coach was announced to run daily from the Angel Inn, Norwich, to the King’s Head Inn, Yarmouth, in two and a half hours. Fares: Inside, 5s.; outside, 3s.
November 13th 1819
“Capt. Borrow has retired from the adjutancy of the First or West Norfolk Regiment of Militia after 42 years’ service.”
November 24th 1819
A meeting of the inhabitants interested in the woollen manufactures of Norwich was held at the Guildhall, for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of applying to Parliament for a repeal of the duty imposed upon the importation of foreign wool.
December 7th 1819
Died at St. Giles’, Norwich, at a very advanced age, Mrs. Mary Fisher, mother of Mr. David Fisher, comedian.