January 3rd 1818
Shore’s menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Ditches, Norwich.
January 5th 1818
The Norwich Court of Guardians determined to proceed with the valuation of property in the city and hamlets. Messrs. Rooks, Athow, and Stannard were appointed to make the valuation at the remuneration of £850.
January 6th 1818
Twelfth Day was observed in Norwich, “when the confectioners made a grand display of their frosted and ornamented cakes. Mr. Turner, of the Gentleman’s Walk, had one weighing 220 pounds and measuring three yards in circumference. It was sawn to pieces next day.” Mr. and Mrs. Patteson gave a Twelfth Night ball and supper at their residence in Surrey Street, at which 140 guests were present.
January 8th 1818
At a meeting, presided over by Mr. T. O. Springfield, at the Swan Inn, Norwich, resolutions were moved by Mr. Edward Taylor, and a subscription raised to testify “the estimation in which they hold the extraordinary and intrepid exertions of Mr. Hone, in defence of the liberty of the Press, and to assist to defray the expenses of his repeated prosecutions.”
January 8th 1818
Died, aged 100 years, Ashton Goodyer, formerly keeper of the workhouse at Tilney.
January 13th 1818
At a county meeting held at the Shirehall, under the presidency of the High Sheriff (Mr. H. N. Burroughes), addresses of condolence with the Prince Regent and Prince Leopold on the death of the Princess Charlotte, were moved by Lord Walpole and seconded by the Hon. Col. Wodehouse. The Ven. Archdeacon Bathurst opposed the addresses on account of the omission of the name of the Princess of Wales, and moved as an amendment “That any addresses to the Prince Regent and Prince Leopold, unaccompanied by an address to the Princess of Wales, would operate as an insulting neglect to one of the first characters in the Royal Family, and as a disrespect to the memory of her who was the pride and hope of the British people.” The amendment was seconded by Mr. N. Palmer, of Yarmouth. The High Sheriff objected to put the amendment, as the name of the Princess of Wales had not been included in the requisition. The addresses were then adopted. Archdeacon Bathurst alone dissenting.
January 15th 1818
Lord and Lady Castlereagh and Prince Esterhazy, the Austrian ambassador, passed through Norwich on their return to London after a visit to Lord Suffield at Blickling.
January 16th 1818
Died at Old Windsor, aged 71, the Right Hon. Lord Walsingham, of Merton Hall. He was the only son of Sir William de Grey, several years Lord Chief Justice of Common Pleas. In 1787 he was appointed joint Postmaster-General, and to within two years of his death had been chairman of the Committees of Privileges, &c., in the House of Lords.
January 19th 1818
At a meeting of the inhabitants of Yarmouth, held at the New Hall, upwards of £6,000 was subscribed for aiding a plan to extend the navigation of the river Waveney from Bungay to Diss. The sum of £5,000 was raised in the latter town. At a meeting held at Bungay on February 5th the scheme was opposed by the landowners through whose property the projected canal was to pass. On February 13th the inhabitants of Thetford met to oppose the undertaking, as it was likely to be injurious to the tolls of the Lesser Ouse. It was announced on February 28th that £20,000 had been subscribed, and that the expense of carrying the scheme into execution would be £36,931. A meeting was held at Yarmouth on March 10th, at which it was decided “out of respect to Mr. Adair and the rest of the proprietors to defer application to Parliament until the ensuing Session.” Ultimately the scheme was abandoned. In the course of the discussions on the project, “it was thrown out in a highly respectable quarter that the end in view might be answered and all objections obviated by the substitution of an iron railway for a canal.” (This is the first instance in which a “railway” is mentioned in the NORFOLK CHRONICLE.)
January 19th 1818
Mr. Sinclair, from Covent Garden Theatre, appeared at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, as Orlando (“The Cabinet”), Apollo (in the burletta of “Midas”), and Henry Bertram (“Guy Mannering”).
January 26th 1818
The stacks of Mr. John Balls, farmer, Lessingham, were destroyed by fire, his calves suspended by their necks from a beam in an outhouse, and other outrages committed. At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford in the month of March, James Thompson was indicted for firing the stacks, and, after a trial lasting five hours, was acquitted.
January 31st 1818
Miss Davison, of Drury Lane, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre, during which she appeared as Lady Teazle, Priscilla Tomboy (“The Romp”), Lady Bell (“Know your own Mind”), Roxalana (“The Sultan”), and Lady Racket (“Three Weeks after Marriage”).
February 4th 1818
Died, at Hethersett, aged 70, Mr. John Buckle, one of the aldermen of the Great Ward of Mancroft, Norwich. He served the office of Sheriff in 1787, and of Mayor in 1793.
February 16th 1818
Mr. Emery, of Covent Garden, made his first appearance at Norwich Theatre, as Tyke (“The School of Reform”). His other characters included Robin Roughead (“Fortune’s Frolic”), Zekiel Homespun (“Heir at Law”), and Sheepface (“The Village Lawyer”).
February 21st 1818
Died, aged 88, Mr. William Utten, of the Lower Close, Norwich, formerly chapter clerk to the Dean and Chapter, and secretary to the Lord Bishop of Norwich.
February 28th 1818
“Mr. D. Fisher, whose performance of the arduous characters of Hamlet, Macbeth, and Richard III. at Drury Lane were so excellent as to induce the managers to engage him at a liberal salary from the commencement of next season, has been engaged to perform those characters at Norwich, and will make his first appearance this evening in the part of Hamlet.” Mr. Fisher was a son of the manager of the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians.
March 2nd 1818
The Carrow Bridge toll bar, at Norwich, was let for three years at the annual rent of £224.
March 4th 1818
During a severe gale from the south-east great damage was done to shipping on the Norfolk coast, and several vessels were driven ashore. At the church of Pulham St. Mary the Virgin the chancel window, 20 feet by 11 feet, was almost demolished, and another window on the south side was entirely blown out with the stone work. Four large sheets of lead were blown off the roof of East Bilney Church.
March 4th 1818
It having been represented to the Norwich Court of Mayoralty that “the annual Fair on Tombland hath for several years past been continued to an unreasonable time of the night, not only to the disturbance and inconvenience of the inhabitants, but so as to prevent the decent observance of next day, being Good Friday,” it was ordered “that the ensuing Fair on Maunday Thursday shall end at eleven o’clock in the evening of that day, when all persons resorting to the same are to repair to their respective houses, and all those who shall have goods, stalls, and shows are directed to cease their several trades and occupations at the said hour of eleven, and immediately to remove and carry their goods and effects from the said fairstead.” The Fair was held on March 19, when “there were few exhibitions on Tombland, the show caravans, which were more numerous than usual, being judiciously arranged on the Castle Meadow.”
March 9th 1818
The election of Common Councilmen for the four wards of Norwich, commenced on this date. “The ascendency of the Purple and Orange or of the Blue and White party in the Corporation is supposed to have some influence at a General Election, and as that event is considered to be at no great distance, neither money nor exertions were spared to obtain a majority in the Long Ward.” The expenses were estimated at some thousands of pounds, from £15 to £40 was paid for votes, and the freemen were brought in carriages from the country to vote as at a Parliamentary Election.
March 10th 1818
Married at Benacre, by the Rev. Richard Gooch, Capt. G. W. Manby, barrack master, Yarmouth, to Sophia, daughter of Sir Thomas Gooch, Bart., of Benacre Hall, and sister of Mr. Sherlock Gooch, M.P., for Suffolk.
March 16th 1818
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford, the _crim. con._ action, Muskett _v._ Gurney, in which the damages were laid at £10,000, was tried before a special jury. Verdict for the defendant.
March 19th 1818
The first Norwich Sick Poor Repository was held at Mr. Noverre’s room, St. Michael-at-Plea, on Tombland Fair day. “The room was crowded by the beauty and fashion of our town and its vicinity, and the counters were completely cleared at three o’clock, when the receipts amounted to £115.”
March 24th 1818
Died at Hare Street, Romford, Mr. Humphrey Repton, the celebrated landscape gardener. He was buried at Aylsham.
March 26th 1818
The organ at Swaffham church was opened by Mr. Beckwith, of Norwich. Selections of sacred music were rendered at the church, and in the evening a miscellaneous concert was given in the Assembly-room. The principal vocalists were Mrs. Card, Miss Williams, Mr. C. Fisher (tenor), and the choristers from Norwich Cathedral.
March 31st 1818
Married, at Redenhall Church, by the Ven. Archdeacon Oldershaw, Mr. Gurney Barclay, of Tavistock Square, London, to Miss Freshfield, of Harleston. “On the bride’s return the horses were taken from her carriage, and, amid the cheering of the delighted people, she was drawn, attended by a band of music, through the town.”
April 5th 1818
The London mail by way of Bury and Newmarket was discontinued, and two light four-inside coaches, called the Mercury, substituted, starting from the Angel Inn, Norwich, at 4.45 p.m., and from the Golden Cross, Charing Cross, London, at six p.m., Sundays excepted. The proprietors of the Expedition post coach substituted two light post coaches which ran from the Swan Inn, Norwich, every afternoon at four o’clock, and from the White Horse, Fetter Lane, London, at 4.30. The mail by Bury and Newmarket had been established 33 years, and was discontinued from lack of public support. The Norwich and London mail by Ipswich and Colchester continued to run as before.
April 8th 1818
The Eau Brink Drainage Bill was read a third time in the House of Commons, and the Act was subsequently passed for increasing the fund for carrying into execution the several previous Acts for improving the drainage of the fens, and the navigation of the several Norfolk rivers communicating with the river Ouse.
April 11th 1818
Six prisoners escaped from the Norwich City Gaol by breaking through an 18-inch brick wall, whence they entered the snuff manufactory of Messrs. Waite and Cozens, and with their irons on made their way to the Market Place. With one exception they were speedily recaptured.
April 11th 1818
“According to the returns of the Tax Office to March 25, 1817, the Norfolk Land-tax amounted to £63,471 10s. 7d.; redeemed, £18,526 16s. 2d.”
April 14th 1818
The Norwich Paving Commissioners, in consequence of complaints regarding the imperfect lighting and watching of the streets, appointed a committee of fourteen of their members, and co-opted other persons, to superintend the placing of the watchmen. The committee were requested to “occasionally perambulate the city, and to observe the state of the lamps and the conduct of the watchmen.”
April 18th 1818
(Advt.) “To be fought at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, on Monday, April 20th, 1818, and two following days, three double days play of cocks for 10 guineas a battle, and 200 guineas the odd, between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Cambridge. Feeders: Lamb for Norwich, Thompson for Cambridge.”
April 18th 1818
(Advt.) “The London and Norwich mail coach by Colchester and Ipswich. The Postmaster-General having thought proper to discontinue the mail coach by Newmarket, which had been established 33 years, from the public not having latterly given it that support which its usefulness demanded, the contractors for the remaining mail by Ipswich and Colchester, which will in future be the conveyance of the Norwich letters, hope that so useful a carriage in this commercial city and county will have such success as to promote its future encouragement and continuance.”
April 23rd 1818
St. George’s Day was observed in Norwich as the festival of the tutelar saint of England and as the appointed date for the celebration of the birthday of the Prince Regent. St. Peter’s bells were rung, and at night a ball was given at Chapel Field House.
April 24th 1818
A meeting, presided over by Mr. J. J. Gurney, was held at the Lancasterian School, Norwich, to encourage the establishment of Sunday schools.
April 26th 1818
Died at Norwich, aged 47, the Rev. Augustus Beevor, M.A. “He was educated at Bennet College, Cambridge, where he early distinguished himself, and as a reward of his literary merits, received many college prizes. He was rector of Berghapton, Norfolk, and of Otley, Suffolk.”
April 27th 1818
After the interval of 15 years the boundaries of the county of the city of Norwich were perambulated by the Mayor (Mr. Crisp Brown), attended by the Sheriffs, several of the aldermen, city officers, and others on horseback, and by a great number of persons on foot. Much beer was drunk _en route_, and at Earlham the chief personages were entertained by Mr. J. J. Gurney, and 400 men and boys received each a pint of beer and a piece of cake. A man swam the river at Earlham, another crossed it at Hellesdon. “When proceeding in the direction of Sprowston they were met on the road, leading from Norwich to Crostwick, by Mr. James Cozens, who formally declared his intention to protest against the establishment of the line of boundary which they were taking, and pointed out a boundary mark nearer Norwich, which on inspection proved to be that of St. Clement’s parish.”
May 1st 1818
A two days’ poll commenced for the election of Mayor at Norwich. The poll was declared on the 2nd as follows:—Ald. Marsh, 821; Ald. Leman, 820; Ald. Thurtell, 474; Ald. Back, 412. Mr. Leman was on the 3rd elected, by the Court of Aldermen, Mayor for the second time.
May 3rd 1818
At a meeting of the Norwich Corporation it was agreed to present congratulatory addresses to the Prince Regent and to the Princess Elizabeth on her marriage with the Hereditary Prince of Hesse Homburgh. On a ballot in the common council-room there were 24 for and 24 against the addresses. The Speaker (Mr. Samuel Stone) gave his casting vote in favour of the addresses, which accordingly became acts of assembly.
May 6th 1818
The birthday of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., was celebrated at Harleston, Wells, Wymondham, and other places by public dinners.
May 12th 1818
A prize fight took place on a field near Thorpe Asylum between William Cox, blacksmith, and John Camplin, a Norwich weaver. “Among the spectators were a great number of females.” Camplin was seconded by Ned Painter, and Cox by Wharton. Twenty-nine rounds were fought in 42 minutes for £5 a side. Cox won. Another fight between Pegg and Short, “who milled each other for more than an hour,” resulted in the victory of the latter.
May 13th 1818
A new gallery erected in North Walsham church was opened with a grand selection of sacred music from the works of Handel, under the direction of Messrs. Fish and Card, of Norwich. The principal vocal performers were Mrs. Card, Mr. Frewer, and Mr. Barron, and the choruses were supported by performers from the Norwich concerts, and by the Cathedral choristers.
May 16th 1818
Died at Lynn, Ann Crawforth, aged 104, supposed to be the oldest member of the Methodist Society.
May 18th 1818
Miss Brunton, granddaughter of Mr. John Brunton, the former manager, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Letitia Hardy (“The Belle’s Stratagem”). Her other characters during the engagement were Miss Hardcastle, Rosalind, and Lady Elizabeth (“The Day after the Wedding”).
May 19th 1818
A new peal of six bells, cast and hung by William Dobson, of Downham Market, was opened at Northwold. Prizes of ten guineas and five guineas were offered to competing companies who performed the best and next best peals of 720 complete changes. The New Buckenham and Hopton ringers were adjudged equal.
May 19th 1818
At the Norwich Consistory Court, sentence of suspension for two years was passed by the Rev. William Young, Chancellor, on the Rev. Edward Leathes, rector of Reedham with Freethorpe, for neglecting to perform his ministerial duties in those churches for about eight months in the course of the years 1816 and 1817.
May 20th 1818
Bull-baiting took place on Carrow Hills, Norwich. “The game old bull resisted every effort of the well-seasoned dogs, and remained master of the ring. A young bull was afterwards brought in, who is to be trained up to exercise the rising generation of the canine species, and for the amusement of the lovers of this fine art.”
May 20th 1818
A rowing match between two four-oared boats, the Swift and the Adriadne, took place from Carrow to Whitlingham. The Swift, “rowed by four brothers of the name of Lanham, well known on the stream,” won. “The match was for each other’s boat, valued complete at £14 or £15.” (This is the first instance in which the names of the rowers are given.)
May 28th 1818
The annual dinner in commemoration of Pitt’s birthday was held at the Assembly Rooms, Norwich, under the presidency of the Hon. Col. Wodehouse.
May 28th 1818
Tenders were invited for taking down the existing and building the new bridge, at Hellesdon, either of timber or iron. The Corporation on June 30 accepted the tender of Mr. Frost to build an iron bridge for £1,140.
May 30th 1818
Miss Byrne began a short engagement at Norwich Theatre, during which she appeared in favourite comic operas and musical entertainments. Her impersonations included Adela (“The Haunted Tower”) and Rosina.
May 30th 1818
(Advt.) “A match of cocks will be fought at the Angel Inn, St. Stephen’s, Norwich, on June 15th and 16th, between the gentlemen of Norfolk and the gentlemen of Norwich, to show fifteen mains and five byes. To fight for £5 a battle and £20 the odd. Feeders: Stafford for Norfolk, Lamb for Norwich.”
May 31st 1818
Died at Wakefield, Mr. Fitzgerald, manager of the Leeds, Lincoln, Sheffield, and Hull Theatres, and many years a favourite performer in the Norwich Company.
Dr. C. Brown, of Margaretta Farm, and Mr. T. B. Plestow, of Watlington Hall, received, this month, the honour of knighthood.
June 1st 1818
Mr. Charles Harvey, M.P., issued an address to the electors of Norwich, in which he announced his intention of declining to offer himself for re-election.
June 2nd 1818
Died at Coltishall, Mr. William Warrant, aged 100 years.
June 4th 1818
The 81st birthday of George III. was celebrated in Norwich. The Mayor and Corporation, preceded by a band of music, went in state to the Cathedral.
June 8th 1818
A camping match, Norfolk against Suffolk, took place at Kirby Cane for £10 a side, and, after a spirited contest, Norfolk won. “This is the first _thorough boxing camping match_ which has taken place for these last 35 years, and considering that not five out of the twenty individuals who played had ever before been engaged in any pugilistic contest, it was astonishing to observe the spirit of gallantry which animated both parties. The spectators amounted to some thousands, among whom were many gentlemen of rank and fortune.”
June 9th 1818
Parliament having been dissolved and the writ for the election received, Mr. W. Smith and Mr. R. H. Gurney, the “Blue and White” candidates, made their public entry into Norwich. The Hon. Edward Harbord, the “Orange and Purple” candidate, was met at Mile End on the 11th. His barouche was drawn into the city by the crowd, and a large cavalcade of freeholders and freemen was in attendance. Thence until the day of election there was an active canvass in the city, and party feeling ran high.
June 15th 1818
Seaman’s Museum of Natural History was exhibited on Orford Hill, Norwich.
June 16th 1818
Guild Day at Norwich. Many members of the freemen’s clubs, with blue and white favours in their hats, and with party flags flying, marched into the Market Place in order to attend the new Mayor to the Cathedral. Alderman Herring protested against such a display of party feeling on this day. Mr. Smith, the Parliamentary candidate, addressed the people from a window in the Market Place, saying that anything like party appeared to be indecorous on such an occasion, and he for one should put his colours into his pocket. His example, however, was not generally followed. After service at the Cathedral Mr. Barnabas Leman was sworn in as Mayor, and the guild feast, given in St. Andrew’s Hall, was attended by 300 guests.
June 17th 1818
Norwich Election began on this day, and the poll closed on the day following at 1.30 p.m., with the following result:—W. Smith, 2,089; R. H. Gurney, 2,032; the Hon. Edward Harbord, 1,475. The two first-named were returned.
June 17th 1818
Thetford Election: Lord C. Fitzroy and Mr. N. R. Colbourne were returned without a contest, on the withdrawal of Mr. Webster.
June 17th 1818
Castle Rising Election: Lord Rocksavage and the Hon. F. Greville Howard were returned unopposed.
June 18th 1818
Lynn Election: Lord Walpole and Sir M. B. ffolkes were returned unopposed.
June 19th 1818
Yarmouth Election: The Hon. George Anson, 780; C. E. Rumbold, 760; E. K. Lacon, 651; General Loftus, 612. The two first-named were elected.
June 23rd 1818
Norfolk Election: Mr. T. W. Coke and Mr. E. Wodehouse were returned unopposed. Mr. Philip Hamond, of Westacre, opened a canvass in opposition to Mr. Wodehouse, but relinquished it on the eve of the election. After the chairing Mr. Coke and his friends dined at the Swan Inn, Norwich, and Mr. Wodehouse and his supporters at the Angel Inn. At night the members attended the ball at Chapel Field House, where the dancing was opened by Mr. Coke and Mrs. Micklethwaite and by Mr. Wodehouse and Mrs. N. Bacon.
July 4th 1818
Spring, Scroggins, Purcell, and other celebrated pugilists, gave a boxing display at the Swan Inn, Norwich.
July 6th 1818
Died, aged 78, Mr. Richard Beatniffe, many years a well-known bookseller in Norwich.
July 6th 1818
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. The only new implements exhibited were a manure drill, by Mr. Frost, of Saham, and a self-sowing dibbling machine, by Mr. Woodward, of Norwich.
July 12th 1818
A severe drought of nine weeks’ duration was ended on this day by a “joyful rain.”
July 12th 1818
A new light post coach, called “The Day,” carrying four insides and ten outsides, commenced running from the Angel Inn, Market Place, Norwich, to the Crown and Anchor Tavern, the Quay, Yarmouth. The journey occupied three hours each way, and the coach was owned by T. S. Coldwell and Co.
July 13th 1818
Races for hackneys, hunters, and ponies, took place at Wells-next-the-Sea, upon “a fine level width of firm beach sand.” An immense concourse of spectators attended.
July 15th 1818
Died at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, aged 72, Capt. James Murray, adjutant of the 2nd Regiment of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry, and formerly captain in the 9th Regiment of Foot. He served with distinction during the whole of the American War.
July 16th 1818
The first stone of a new bridge at Letheringsett was laid by Mrs. Best, of Bayfield Hall. The company, after being entertained to breakfast by Mr. William Hardy, proceeded through his gardens to a deep excavation in the bed of the river, where the stone was placed in position amid the cheers of the spectators and the firing of guns.
July 20th 1818
The performances of Mr. David Fisher’s company in “the elegant little theatre” at East Dereham, terminated on this date, “when the performers assembled on the stage and drank a parting glass and bade farewell of the crowded audience amid shouts of applause.”
July 22nd 1818
A grand cricket match played on Newmarket Heath for 330 guineas a side, between the Holt and Newmarket clubs. It concluded on the 23rd, when the score was as follows:—Newmarket, 84-101; Holt, 114-74.
July 23rd 1818
A silver cup was rowed for by three boats at Norwich, and won by the Apollo (Bacon). Distance, five miles; time, 38½ minutes.
July 23rd 1818
A troop of the 15th Light Dragoons (King’s Hussars), commanded by Major Cochrane, marched into Norwich to relieve the 5th Dragoon Guards, who the same day set out for York.
July 25th 1818
“Mr. Case, a respectable farmer, at Stratton Strawless, lately sustained a loss of 30 young turkies and 11 goslings, all which a voracious fat sow devoured after a hearty breakfast.”
July 27th 1818
Mr. Blanchard, of Covent Garden Theatre, appeared at Norwich Theatre as General Heartall (“The Soldier’s Daughter”). Among the other characters impersonated by him during his engagement were Crack (“The Turnpike Gate”), Lazarillo (“Two Strings to your Bow”), Abednego (“Jew and Doctor”), Caleb Quotem (“The Wags of Windsor”), and Dr. Ollapod (“The Poor Gentleman”).
July 27th 1818
At a meeting of the merchants of the city, held at the Angel Inn, Norwich, under the presidency of Mr. Crisp Brown, it was agreed to open up a trade from Gainsborough to Yarmouth, and to employ four vessels to sail alternately from both places.
July 31st 1818
Died at his house in St. James’s Square, London, Viscount Anson. He married in 1794 Ann Margaret, second daughter of Mr. T. W. Coke, of Holkham, and was succeeded in his title and estates by the Hon. Thomas William Anson, M.P. for Yarmouth.
August 12th 1818
Two gentlemen “angling on that beautiful river at Buckenham, belonging to Sir Thomas Beauchamp Proctor,” caught 210 pounds of fish, the greater part of which were bream. This was described as “a circumstance unprecedented in this or any other part of the country.”
August 15th 1818
The whaler Enterprize from Greenland, Capt. Sanderson, arrived at her berth at South Lynn, with eleven “fish” on board, “which it is supposed will produce about 160 tons of oil, estimated to be worth £6,000, exclusive of whalebone, &c.”
August 28th 1818
A cricket match was played at Bungay between the Holt and Bungay clubs, for stakes amounting to £132. Scores: Holt, 89-130; Bungay, 54-28. The return match was fixed for September 7th, but Bungay paid forfeit. In the first match, owing to men being objected to on both sides, “it was played with only ten batsmen, but with the usual numbers in the field.”
September 1st 1818
Robert Skipper, the Norwich pedestrian, began a walk of 1,000 miles in 20 successive days. He started from St. Stephen’s Gates at five o’clock a.m. and returned from the twenty-fifth milestone on the Thetford road at nine p.m. He relinquished the task on the ninth day in consequence of lameness.
September 8th 1818
Miss O’Neil commenced a five nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre. She appeared in the characters of Belvidera (“Venice Preserved”), Juliet, Mrs. Haller (“The Stranger”), Mrs. Beverley (“The Gamester”), and Mrs. Oakley (“The Jealous Wife”). “The box office was literally besieged every morning, and the spirit of politeness and gallantry maintained only a very feeble influence over the conduct of the assembled multitude. No law prevailed but that of the strongest; nothing was to be heard but shrieks, reproaches, and lamentations—nothing to be seen but bonnets cramped up, hats squeezed flat, torn gowns and coat flaps, and a motley mob in the highest state of exasperation, fermentation, and desperation. On the nights of the performance the house was crowded in every part. Families of the highest respectability, both of the town and from the country, were to be seen contenting themselves, many of them with inconvenient situations. Even the orchestra was occupied by the audience.” The receipts averaged £200 a night, and Miss O’Neil, including her benefit, received £700.
September 8th 1818
A public meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which it was decided to apply to Parliament for leave to bring in a Bill for widening and deepening the Norwich river so as to render it navigable by vessels of burden from Norwich to the sea. The Mayor presided, and the project, which afterwards gave rise to the famous agitation “Norwich, a Port,” was introduced by Mr. Crisp Brown.
September 8th 1818
Buonaparte’s military coach was exhibited by Mr. Bullock, of the London Museum, at Mr. Smith’s coach manufactory, Swan Yard, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich.
September 26th 1818
The Phenomena day coach was advertised to run from the Angel Inn, Norwich, and the One Bull Inn, Bury, to the Bull Inn, Aldgate, London, in fourteen hours. It set out from Norwich at a quarter to six. The proprietors, William Pawson, T. Bridgeman, George Archer, and Ann Nelson, Son, and Co., prohibited racing on the part of their coachman. The rival coach, the Norwich and London Original day coach, started from the Norfolk Hotel every morning at a quarter to seven and ran to the Spread Eagle, Gracechurch Street, and the Swan with Two Necks, Lad Lane, through Bury, Sudbury, Chelmsford, and Romford. Racing was prohibited by the proprietors, namely, R. Gurney, T. Boyce, Chapman, S. Bright, J. Boldero, J. Tomlinson, Elizabeth Boyce and Son, and W. Waterhouse.
September 28th 1818
Died, the Rev. St. John Priest, A.M., master of Scarning Free School, rector of Reepham with Kerdiston and of Billingford, and vicar of Parham with Hacheston, Suffolk. He was secretary of the Norfolk Agricultural Society from its institution in 1800.
October 1st 1818
Married, at York, Upper Canada, Mr. Samuel Peters Jarvis, barrister, and son of the late secretary of that province, to Mary Boyles, youngest daughter of the Hon. W. D. Powell, Chief Justice of Upper Canada, and granddaughter of Dr. John Murray, of Norwich.
October 3rd 1818
Sir Edmund Lacon, Kt., of Great Yarmouth, Mr. Thomas Hare, of Stow Hall, and Mr. Edward Stracey, of Rackheath Hall, were created baronets.
October 12th 1818
Died at St. George’s Colegate, Norwich, aged 50, Mr. Thomas Allday Kerrison, who was Sheriff in 1798, Alderman in 1803, and Mayor in 1806.
October 13th 1818
A sailing match, which took place at Thorpe for a silver cup, was won by the Dreadnought (Stone), which beat the Albion (Ganning), and the Argo (Harvey).
October 13th 1818
A trial took place at midnight of a gasometer with complete apparatus erected by Messrs. John and Philip Taylor, of London, at the factory of Messrs. Joseph Oxley and Sons, of Norwich. They were the first to introduce gaslight into a Norwich factory.
October 21st 1818
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, Mark Woodcock appealed against a conviction for taking toll at a turnpike gate off soldiers when on duty. The 15th Light Dragoons, stationed at Lynn, were being “taken out for an airing” and on passing through Gaywood gate the appellant demanded toll of them, to the amount of 4s. 4½d. He alleged that the soldiers were not on duty, and that they passed through the gate wantonly and unnecessarily, and in order to give him trouble. The court confirmed the conviction.
October 24th 1818
Messrs. T. S. Coldwell and William Horne, proprietors of the Mercury coach, from the Maid’s Head, Norwich, through Wymondham, Attleborough, and Thetford, to the Golden Cross, Charing Cross, London, advertised “reduced fares at what you please.” The coach ran every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
October 24th 1818
Adams’ Equestrian Troupe commenced a season at the Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, where a stage was provided for the production of pantomime and burletta.
October 25th 1818
The premises and stock of Mr. Griffiths, plane and tool maker, near St. Gregory’s Church, Norwich, were destroyed by fire.
October 31st 1818
Died of apoplexy, at Holt, Mr. William Stokes, Clerk of the Peace for Norfolk. He was 66 years of age, and had held the office 19 years. His eldest son died at Fakenham on the following day. Mr. Robert Copeman, of Aylsham, was appointed to the vacant clerkship.
October 31st 1818
Four boys were whipped in Norwich Market Place, pursuant to sentence passed upon them at the Quarter Sessions.
November 1st 1818
The Expedition coach from Norwich to London, carrying only four insides, with car added to carry six insides, started running on this date from the White Swan, Norwich. Fares, four insides, 18s. each; the car, six insides, 14s. each; outsides, 10s. 6d. each. The proprietors were Thomas Bryant and John Eames and Co.
November 2nd 1818
Thiodon’s “mechanical and picturesque theatre of arts” (automata) was opened at Norwich Theatre.
November 4th 1818
Married at Gissing, W. Newby, of Burston, to Susanna Fleet, of the former place, widow. “Their united ages amounted to upwards of 140 years. Nearly 40 years ago she married John Fleet, her first husband, who, after living with her several years, set out on his travels and visited the most distant parts of the world. The only report that ever reached her was the news of his death, when, having given what she considered a decent time to his memory and his loss, she again entered into the state of matrimony. After living several years with her second husband the first returned and claimed her, and his death which lately happened gave her the second opportunity of being legally united to the man of her heart, which actually took place, and she was a second time married to the same person.”
November 5th 1818
At a meeting of the Navigation Committee, held at the Guildhall, Norwich, a letter was received from the Mayor of Yarmouth, in which he expressed the fear that the projected scheme for widening and deepening the Norwich river would prove injurious to Yarmouth harbour. It was pointed out that there was an alternative plan of making a cut about a mile lone: across Thurlton marshes to join the Waveney about a mile below St. Olave’s Bridge, and thence proceeding to Oulton and Lothing Broads and entering the sea at Lowestoft. The meeting considered the alternative scheme the more eligible one, and Mr. Cubitt, engineer, was ordered to make a survey and prepare an estimate of the expense.
November 9th 1818
At Holkham eight guns killed 516 head of game in one day, namely, eight partridges, 40 pheasants, 237 hares, 216 rabbits, 14 woodcock, and one snipe. In seven days 2,574 head were killed.
November 18th 1818
On the official account being received of the death of the Queen at Kew Palace, the great bell of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, and the bells of the other churches in the city were tolled for two hours. On Sunday, the 22nd, the pulpits in the churches were draped with black, and on December 2nd, the day of interment, the shops were closed, and the bells tolled from six to eight o’clock in the evening. The Corporation attended service at the Cathedral. At Yarmouth and Lynn the day was observed in a similar manner. Addresses of condolence were afterwards passed by each Corporation.
November 20th 1818
Mr. William Bell, of Norwich, while shooting with a party at Sprowston, “killed at one shot five and a half brace of that rare bird called the golden plover, a shot not to be paralleled in the annals of sporting notoriety.”
Remarkably mild weather was experienced during this month. The cuckoo was heard at the beginning, and vegetation advanced till the middle of the month.
December 3rd 1818
Mr. Edward K. Lacon, who had canvassed Yarmouth as a candidate for the Parliamentary election consequent upon the elevation to the peerage of the Hon. T. W. Anson, announced in an address to the electors his intention to retire from the candidature on the ground that “the prejudices so unjustly excited against him were not yet fully allayed.” The Hon. George Anson was returned without opposition on February 11th, 1819.
December 5th 1818
Landed at Cromer from the Earl of Leicester packet, from Holland, Mr. Horsley, of Islington, and his little son. The boy had been kidnapped by Charles Rennett, a cousin of Mrs. Horsley, who had entered into litigation respecting some property to which the child was entitled. Rennett carried him to France, whence he was traced to Braker, near Bremen. The boy was recovered unharmed and handed over to his father, and Rennett, on his arrest, was tried in London on May 28th, 1819, and sentenced to seven years’ transportation.
December 12th 1818
Wombwell’s Menagerie was exhibited on Castle Hill, Norwich.
December 24th 1818
A tradesman at Beeston next Mileham made a wager that he would carry twelve stone of flour a distance of ten miles in six hours, “which Herculean task he performed in five hours and a quarter. The odds at the start were three to one against him.”
December 26th 1818
A county meeting was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, to consider the propriety of presenting an address of condolence to the Prince Regent on the death of the Queen. Col. Wodehouse was about to move an address, when Mr. Nathaniel Palmer, jun., of Yarmouth, anticipated him by moving one of his own framing, the last paragraph of which contained an allusion to the criminal code. It was seconded by Mr. Clarke, of Berghapton, and supported by Archdeacon Bathurst. Col. Wodehouse then moved his address, which was seconded by Mr. T. Cubitt, and supported by Mr. M. Elwin and Mr. C. Harvey. Much altercation and confusion ensued, and the High Sheriff (Mr. Edward Lombe), who presided, adjourned the meeting _sine die_. Those who approved the address proposed by Col. Wodehouse adjourned to the grand jury room and signed it. It was subsequently presented to the Prince Regent.
December 26th 1818
Died in Little Charlotte Street, London, aged 29, Mrs. Fisher, wife of Mr. David Fisher, of Drury Lane Theatre. She left a family of three children.