January 5th 1816
At a Provincial Grand Lodge of Freemasons held at Norwich, Sir Jacob Henry Astley, M.P., was elected Grand Master.
January 6th 1816
Mr. Thomas Coldwell was appointed postmaster at Norwich, in place of G. Litchfield.
January 6th 1816
“One day this week a salmon trout measuring one yard four inches, and weighing twenty-one pounds, was caught in Trowse River, near Norwich.”
January 18th 1816
Thanksgiving day for the restoration of Peace. The Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended the Cathedral in state, and services were held at most of the city churches.
January 20th 1816
Died, aged 83, Mr. James Clabburn, many years keeper of the Close Jail, at Norwich.
January 20th 1816
“An order has been received at Norwich for upwards of 10,000 pieces of broad whites from the East India Company, and distributed among the different manufacturers much in the same proportions as last year.”
January 20th 1816
“There is now living in Forncett St. Mary a Mrs. Knights, who is 106 years old.”
January 24th 1816
Mr. Betty, originally known as the Young Roscius, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. He appeared as Douglas, Sir Edward Mortimer (“The Iron Chest”), and Rolla (“Pizarro”).
January 25th 1816
At the 51st anniversary meeting of the Castle Corporation, at Norwich, Mr. Thomas Back presented to the society two medals to be worn respectively by the “Recorder” and “Steward.” They were intended to commemorate the battle of Waterloo.
January 25th 1816
A memorial was sent to the Postmaster-General by the inhabitants of Norwich, setting forth the great inconvenience occasioned by the late delivery of letters by the mail. Afterwards the coach arrived at twelve o’clock instead of at one o’clock.
January 27th 1816
“Died, at Exeter, aged 63, Mr. John Bennett, formerly of the Norwich Theatre.”
January 29th 1816
Died, in his 87th year, Mr. Robert Harvey, of Norwich. He twice served the office of Mayor (1770 and 1800), and at his death was “Father of the City.” “He enjoyed the gratification of seeing his three surviving sons holding high municipal positions, one of whom received the additional honour of being its representative in Parliament.”
February 3rd 1816
Mr. Dowton commenced an engagement of four nights at Norwich Theatre. He appeared as Sir Anthony Absolute, Abednego (“The Jew and the Doctor”), Sir Francis Gripe (“The Busybody”), Scout (“The Village Lawyer”), and Old Dorley (“Who’s the Dupe?”).
February 4th 1816
Died at Hamilton Place, London, Robert, Earl of Buckinghamshire, Baron Hobart, President of the India Board. He was half brother to John, Earl of Buckinghamshire, who resided at Blickling, and who was father of Lady Suffield and Lady Castlereagh.
February 5th 1816
Died in St. Stephen’s, Norwich, aged 69, Sir John Odingsells Leake, Bart., formerly of Quebec House, East Dereham.
February 12th 1816
Mr. Elliston appeared at Lynn Theatre as Duke Aranza (“The Honeymoon”) and Rover (“Wild Oats”).
February 16th 1816
A high tide at Yarmouth. The Denes and the west side of the haven were inundated. A similar occurrence had not been recorded since 1791. A flood also took place at Lynn.
February 17th 1816
Mrs. Davison, of Drury Lane, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Letitia Hardy (“Belle’s Stratagem”), and on succeeding evenings as Maria (“Of Age To-morrow”), Peggy (“The Country Girl”), &c.
February 20th 1816
A meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, when resolutions against the continuance of the Property Tax, and a petition to the House of Commons, were adopted. On the 9th a county meeting was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, at which a petition to both Houses of Parliament for repealing some of the taxes affecting agriculture, was unanimously agreed to. The meeting was held in consequence of a requisition signed by farmers only who confined their objection to the clause in the Property Tax which related to the tenants’ duty, and to the Agricultural Horse Tax. On the 23rd a second county meeting was held, when resolutions congratulating the county on the rejection of the Property Tax and the relinquishment of the War Duty on malt were passed. A petition to Parliament was also unanimously agreed to, recommending a reduction of the military establishment, and the adoption of such a system of economy as might render a further continuance of War Taxes unnecessary.
February 25th 1816
Died at Ranworth, William Browne, in his 104th year.
February 26th 1816
Mrs. Bartley, of Drury Lane, appeared as Isabella (“The Fatal Marriage”), at Norwich Theatre.
March 4th 1816
Mr. Incledon, accompanied by Mr. Collyer and Master Taylor, commenced a four nights’ engagement at Norwich Theatre. He appeared as Capt. Macheath (“Beggars’ Opera”), Hawthorne, Tom Tug, and Steady (“The Quaker”).
March 9th 1816
“One day this week some men were opening in St. Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich, a vault which had been closed nine years, when they found three bats entirely covered with mould and dust. They were in a state of complete torpidity, but one of them immediately took flight.”
March 13th 1816
A severe thunderstorm, accompanied by rain and hail, occurred at Yarmouth and other places in the neighbourhood.
March 18th 1816
Miss L. Kelly, of Drury Lane, appeared at Norwich Theatre as Juliet. She was joined on the 21st by her sister, Miss F. Kelly.
March 18th 1816
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford, before Mr. Baron Wood, Robert Lord, _alias_ Davies, and William Hardy were indicted for having forged notes in their possession. A curious circumstance led to the detection of the first-named prisoner. A parcel was sent from London by the Fakenham coach addressed to “Isaac Davies, Tivetshall Ram, Norfolk.” The address was so badly written as to be mistaken for “Swetshall Ram,” and, as no such place could be found, the proprietor of the coach opened the parcel and discovered the forged notes. Lord was found guilty, and sentenced to 14 years’ transportation. Hardy was acquitted.
March 19th 1816
Died, Nehemiah Haylett, of Kenninghall, aged 101.
March 21st 1816
Died, at Lynn, Mr. Thomas Day, in his 87th year. He was the oldest burgess in that town, and the last of the officers of the West Norfolk Militia, who, in 1759, volunteered their services to the Government. In 1779, when the Lynn Volunteers were formed, Mr. Day was selected Colonel Commandant.
March 23rd 1816
“Died lately at Dunham, in his 85th year, Thomas Grounds, and about an hour after, Jane, his wife, in her 83rd year. They were both buried in one coffin.”
March 29th 1816
At a public meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, it was resolved on the motion of Mr. Robert Fellowes, seconded by the Rev. J. Ives, to establish a Savings Bank. The bank was opened, with offices in St. Andrew’s Hall, on April 29th, and on the first day £86 3s. 6d. was received from depositors in sums of 1s. and upwards.
March 30th 1816
(Advt.) “By desire of Thomas Thurtell, Esq., and William Foster, Esq., Sheriffs of the City of Norwich, at the Theatre Royal, on Saturday, April 6th, the Comedy of ‘The Road to Ruin,’ the Farce called ‘The Lyar,’ and the Burlesque Opera ‘Bombastes Furioso.’”
March 31st 1816
Died very suddenly at an advanced age, in the pulpit of Hales Church, the Rev. Valentine Lumley Barnard, rector of Stockton, Norfolk.
April 3rd 1816
A meeting of merchants, manufacturers, &c., was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, when resolutions were passed to instruct the members of Parliament for the city to watch and oppose the intended measure for allowing the exportation of wool free of all restrictions. The measure was for the time relinquished.
April 4th 1816
A public meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, at which it was unanimously resolved to petition Parliament for the repeal of the Insolvent Debtors Act, as being in its operation injurious to trade and commerce.
April 6th 1816
“A troop of the 1st Royal Dragoons arrived at Norwich from Ipswich last week. The officers and soldiers were wearing their Waterloo medals.”
April 6th 1816
Edward Lea was executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, for uttering forged Bank of England notes.
April 15th 1816
Sir Simon le Blanc, one of the judges of the Court of King’s Bench, and many years leading counsel on the Norfolk Circuit, died in London, in his 68th year.
April 15th 1816
Mr. and Mrs. Bartley, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced playing a round of characters at Norwich Theatre.
April 16th 1816
The Rev. St. John Priest was instituted to the rectory of Billingford, on the presentation of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., who “acknowledged, in a very handsome manner, the obligation he felt to that gentleman for his exertions in the cause of agriculture, and particularly as secretary to the Norfolk Agricultural Association, which office he had held for 13 years without emolument.”
April 19th 1816
A main of cocks of 21 battles was fought at the Feathers Inn, Yarmouth, between the gentlemen of Norfolk and the gentlemen of Suffolk, at five guineas the battle and ten guineas the odd. Feeders: Layton for Norfolk, Kersey for Suffolk. The match was continued on the 20th.
April 23rd 1816
At Norwich Quarter Sessions John William Smith was charged with stealing a silver spoon from the Waggon and Horses public-house, the property of William Smith, and a coat, the property of Michael Callow, from the Crown Inn, St. Stephen’s. The prisoner, a farmer, had occupied 300 acres of land, and resided on his own estate at Great Ellingham. He was sentenced to seven years’ transportation.
April 24th 1816
By the alteration introduced by Government in the Local Militia establishment the pay of the permanent staff ceased, the accoutrements were sent into store, and the non-commissioned officers and drummers discharged. The only officer retained was the adjutant, who was placed on the reduced pay of 4s. per diem.
April 27th 1816
Died, aged 85, Mr. Henry Thompson, one of the chief burgesses of Thetford. He had been a member of the Corporation more than half a century, five times served the office of chief magistrate, and in 1806 was appointed one of the assistant justices of the borough.
May 3rd 1816
At a quarterly meeting of the Norwich Corporation it was ordered that the Hospital and City Committees be empowered to recommend to the next assembly to make such abatements in the rents of the Corporation farms as they might think necessary in consequence of the reduced price of grain, wheat being from 36s. to 37s.; barley, 11s. 6d. to 13s.; and oats, 9s. 6d. to 10s. 6d. per coomb.
May 11th 1816
The first division of the West Norfolk Militia, under command of Col. Nelthorpe, marched into Norwich on their return from Ireland; the second division, under Major Barnham, arrived on the 13th. The regiment was disembodied on June 17th.
May 11th 1816
“Died in September last at Allahabad, in his 32nd year, Richard Turner, jun., Judge of the Provisional Court at Agra, and eldest son of the Rev. Richard Turner, Great Yarmouth.”
May 16th 1816
A serious riot occurred at Norwich. A crowd assembled in the Market Place, threw fire balls and broke the windows at the Guildhall. They then broke into the New Mills, threw a quantity of flour into the river, and carried some away in sacks. On their return from the Mills they smashed many windows in St. Andrew’s, Bank Street, Tombland, Magdalen Street, and other localities. Dr. Alderson came out of his house to remonstrate with them and was knocked down. The Mayor and magistrates assembled at the Guildhall, special constables were sworn in, and the mob dispersed. A picket of the West Norfolk Militia was stationed all night at the Guildhall, and a party of the 1st Royal Dragoons patrolled the streets. The disturbances were renewed on the 18th, when the Riot Act was read, and the mob dispersed by the military.
May 18th 1816
The proprietors of the Norwich Expedition coach to London by Thetford and Newmarket announced a reduction of fares to £1 15s. for inside, and £1 for outside passengers. From this date the Expedition started at three o’clock in the afternoon and reached London at nine o’clock next morning.
May 20th 1816
A riot took place at Downham Market. The magistrates assembled at the Crown Inn were publicly insulted, and so much disorder ensued that the Upwell Yeomanry Cavalry were called out, and the Riot Act read, after which the crowd gradually dispersed. A demand had been made for wages of 2s. per day to be paid every Monday and Thursday. In consequence of the farmers having refused to comply, another disturbance took place on the 24th, when two women and several men were apprehended and committed to Norwich Castle. The prisoners were charged at the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich in August, before Lord Chief Justice Gibbs, when sixteen were found guilty and sentenced to death, but only two, Daniel Harwood and Thomas Thody, were left for execution, which took place on the Castle Hill on August 31st. “The recollection of his wife and children and the horror of immediate death overcame Thody’s fortitude. He was nearly sinking down under the agony of grief and terror, which he expressed by convulsive shrieks, and was obliged to be supported by several men.”
May 22nd 1816
At a meeting of owners and occupiers of land, at Diss, a series of resolutions was proposed by the Rev. Mr. Manning, rector, in favour of the commutation of the tithes. It was decided to petition the House of Commons on the subject. Similar meetings were held in other parishes in the district.
May 27th 1816
Mrs. Mardyn, of Drury Lane Theatre, commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre as Albina Mandeville in the comedy of “The Will.” On succeeding evenings she appeared as Amelia Wildenham (“Lovers’ Vows”), Widow Brady (“The Irish Widow”), Miss Peggy (“The Country Girl”), and Miranda (“The Busybody”).
May 28th 1816
At a “grand wrestling,” which took place at Kirby, twenty-four “professors” entered the ring, and “a finer display of science was never exhibited.” A man named Starling was the winner. “A smart milling took place between Broughton and Ives, the former a regular descendant of the great pugilist of that name. Ives proved entirely destitute of science and was badly beaten.”
May 31st 1816
Under the sanction of the Norwich magistrates and the Court of Guardians the defective silver of the labouring poor of the city was exchanged for current coin.
June 8th 1816
“Died last week at Reedham, in his 104th year, John Andrews, a labouring brickmaker. He married in the early part of his life, and had six children, who are now old people. He was left a widower at 55, and at 64 married his present widow, who was but 22. Notwithstanding the disparity of years she proved the greatest blessing to him in his old age, for she treated him with the greatest kindness and attention.”
June 10th 1816
A new theatre was opened at East Dereham by the Norfolk and Suffolk Company of Comedians. “It is fitted up in a style of neatness and elegance scarcely to be met with in any country town. The painting and decorations of the interior were executed by Mr. D. Fisher, to whose known taste they do ample credit. Mr. Fisher has brought with him a most respectable company.”
June 15th 1816
Died, Mrs. Cross, of Swaffham, aged 100.
June 17th 1816
At a quarterly assembly of the Corporation of Norwich a congratulatory address was ordered to be presented to the Prince Regent on the marriage of the Princess Charlotte of Wales and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg. A similar address was voted by the Court of Mayoralty on July 10th.
June 17th 1816
A three days cocking match between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Norfolk commenced at the White Swan, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, for 10 guineas a battle and 100 guineas the odd. Norwich won by six battles.
June 17th 1816
The old people in the Great Hospital, St. Helen’s, Norwich, having been deprived of the dinner of roast goose on Michaelmas Day in consequence of the death of the benefactor who provided it, Mr. Robert Partridge on this date “signified to the Norwich Corporation his intention to give £100 as a benefaction that the Michaelmas dinner of goose may be revived and continued in future.”
June 18th 1816
Guild Day at Norwich. The Mayor (Mr. W. Hankes) entertained the members of the Corporation at luncheon at the Guildhall; and on the 19th “gave plenty of beer and plumb cake” to the poor of his own and of other parishes.
June 18th 1816
The first anniversary of the battle of Waterloo was celebrated at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, by a dinner to the non-commissioned officers and privates of the 1st Royal Dragoons, to other soldiers quartered in Norwich, and to pensioners. The wives and children of the soldiers were also entertained. The cost was defrayed by public subscription, of which £10 was given by the Corporation.
June 29th 1816
“At Whaplode Drove feast last week Mr. John Goodger, aged 104 years, danced a hornpipe, sang a song, and played at four-corners, the latter being his favourite amusement, to the great gratification of the company present.”
July 1st 1816
At Holkham Sheep Shearing, which commenced on this date, improved horse hoes were shown by Mr. Blaikie, Mr. Coke’s farm manager.
July 10th 1816
George Wilson, the pedestrian, undertook to walk 50 miles in 12 hours at the Prussia Gardens, Norwich. He commenced at eight o’clock and finished the first mile in 11 minutes 35 seconds. His pace was afterwards a mile in from 12½ to 13 minutes. He completed the distance at 7.45 p.m. with 15 minutes to spare. On the 22nd a man named Skipper, an ostler at the Barley Mow public-house, Norwich, backed himself to walk over the same course in the same time, and completed his task in 11 hours 10 minutes. On August 27th Wilson commenced a walk of 50 miles per day of 13 hours for five successive days on the bowling-green of the Crown public-house at South Lynn, and accomplished the task. “What is very remarkable he never perspired. On the third day he lost his great toe nail off the left foot, which he pulled out by the roots in the presence of numerous spectators.”
July 17th 1816
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions four labourers were indicted for having riotously assembled with 100 other persons at Hockham, on May 19th, and destroyed a thrashing machine, the property of Mr. William Burlingham. Two of the prisoners were sentenced to twelve months’, and two to three months’ imprisonment, and all were required to find sureties for their future behaviour. (This was the first machine breaking case recorded in the county.)
July 18th 1816
After a week’s continuous rain, which greatly impeded the hay harvest, a severe thunderstorm occurred. On the 31st the crops were beaten down by heavy rains, acres of turnips were washed away, and in several villages the lanes were full of water. On August 12th there was another heavy rain, and on August 31st a hurricane blew, wrecking many colliers between Blakeney and Mundesley. The rains continued to the month of October, when, in consequence of the low lying lands being under water, all hopes were abandoned for the favourable termination of the harvest. Such wet weather had not been experienced since 1799, in which year there were only 166 fair days.
July 20th 1816
A public announcement on this date stated that the following coaches started from the Angel Inn, Norwich:—The London Royal Mail, by way of Newmarket, every afternoon at 3.45; the London Royal Mail, _viâ_ Ipswich and Colchester, ditto; the Wells Prince of Orange Post coach (William Sizeland and T. S. Coldwell), Wednesday and Friday at 12.45 p.m., Sunday at 8.15 a.m.; Holt Duke of Wellington Post coach (T. Coldwell and J. Love), _viâ_ Aylsham, every afternoon at 3.45. From the Rampant Horse Inn: The London Day coach (in 14 hours) every morning at six. From the Norfolk Hotel: The Telegraph London coach (in 13 hours) every morning at seven o’clock, _viâ_ Newmarket. The last two were opposition coaches. The proprietors of the Day coach announced that, although the Telegraph had been started in opposition, they would “not risk the lives of their passengers by racing against time,” but would continue to perform the journey “with steadiness and regularity.”
July 29th 1816
One of the new steam packets plying between Norwich and Yarmouth got aground on Breydon. Mrs. Clifford and other members of the Norwich Company of Comedians were on board. “By their detention the performance at the theatre could not take place, and the expectant audience had their money returned.”
July 30th 1816
A two days cocking match commenced at Yarmouth, “in the large room adjoining the Feathers Inn,” between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Yarmouth.
August 10th 1816
The annual exhibition of “The Norfolk and Norwich Society of Artists” was advertised to open on this date at the “New Room,” Theatre Plain, Norwich. It was announced that “this Society consists of the principal part of the original artists.” On the same day was advertised “The 12th annual exhibition of the Norwich Original Society of Artists, established 1803.” The exhibition was to take place during the Assize week, “in their great room, Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court, Cockey Lane.” The NORFOLK CHRONICLE makes this comment:—“The schism which has taken place among the exhibiting artists appears to have been productive of increased exertions on the part of the respective members of both societies. Our sincere wish to promote their fame and prosperity, and to heal rather than to ferment their differences, induces us earnestly to recommend their performances to the attention and patronage of the public which they highly deserve.”
August 12th 1816
Mr. Kemble appeared in the part of Cato at Norwich Theatre. On succeeding evenings he took the characters of Penruddock (“Wheel of Fortune”), King Lear, Shylock, Sir Giles Overreach (“A New Way to Pay Old Debts”), and Macbeth.
August 18th 1816
The Judges of Assize on leaving Norwich passed through Attleborough, and attended service at the parish church. The Lord Chief Justice, Sir Vicary Gibbs, in walking through the nave, discovered a stone on which were his own crest and arms; the inscription thereon was to the memory of Capt. John Gibbs, who died October 22, 1695. “Mr. Le Neve,” says Blomfield, “calls him the famous Capt Gibbs. He was a celebrated man on the turf in King Charles the Second’s time. He laid a wager of 500 guineas that he drove his light chaise and four horses up and down the deepest place of the Devil’s Ditch on Newmarket Heath, which he performed by making a very light chaise with a jointed perch, and without any pole, to the surprise of the spectators.”
August 24th 1816
“Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte has graciously expressed her determination not only to wear but to introduce and recommend the coloured bombazins, manufactured in Norwich.” Mr. William Williment was appointed manufacturer to her Royal Highness.
August 25th 1816
A woman named Fox, 100 years old, walked from Norwich to Plumstead, a distance of nearly five miles. “She commenced her journey at eight o’clock in the morning, rested three hours at her friend’s house, and walking home arrived at Norwich at seven o’clock in the evening.”
August 31st 1816
“The stupendous undertaking of the tunnel of Tavistock canal, communicating the Tavy and the Tamar, was engineered by Mr. John Taylor, jun., of Norwich.”
August 31st 1816
Thomas Moy was executed on the Castle Hill, Norwich, for sheep stealing. “He was 33 years of age, farmed 100 acres of land at Binham, and has left a wife and seven young children.”
September 7th 1816
Cromer Theatre was described as a place of entertainment “fashionably attended.” “The house, or rather, barn, which is neatly fitted up, is under the management of Mr. Eldred.”
September 11th 1816
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, “the situation of children employed in sweeping chimnies” was discussed, “and the means of superseding the necessity for such employment by mechanical means” were taken into consideration. A committee was appointed to promote the use of the sweeping apparatus, which, however, was but partially adopted.
September 16th 1816
Intelligence was received at Norwich of the successful attack on Algiers by the British fleet, under the command of Admiral Lord Exmouth, on August 27th. The bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung in celebration of the event.
September 23rd 1816
A silver cup and two drinking horns were rowed for by four-oared boats, the best two heats out of three, from Carrow Bridge to Thorpe and back, distance two and a quarter miles. Five boats competed. The cup was won by the Cytherea (Mr. Joseph Stannard), and the horns by the Friends (Mr. Garland).
October 4th 1816
The third or “grand victory match” was played on Hempton Green, Fakenham, between the Holt and Aylsham cricket clubs. Aylsham won with seven wickets to spare.
October 14th 1816
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, at which it was agreed to petition the Legislature to effect a retrenchment of the public expenditure, and a reform of the House of Commons.
October 17th 1816
The new Concert Room in St. George’s Bridge Street, Norwich, purchased of the proprietors of the Steam Flour Mill, and fitted up by the members of the Hall Concert (a musical society which had existed 30 years) was opened. The room was capable of seating 300 persons.
October 23rd 1816
A pigeon shooting match took place on a field near the Town Close, Norwich, between Mr. Nicholas Bacon, and the Rev. Mr. Pitman, of Oulton. “They fired 21 shots each, but it proved a drawn bet, for they each killed 14 birds. Mr. Pitman brought down his 15th bird, but as it fell two inches beyond the distance allowed, 100 yards, it could not be reckoned. There were many bets depending, which, of course, remained undecided.” (This is the first recorded pigeon match in Norfolk.)
October 24th 1816
Wheat was standing uncut in several parts of Norfolk, on the same farm where corn was sown for next year’s crop.
October 28th 1816
A salmon trout, 57 inches in length and weighing 16½ pounds, was caught at the New Mills, Norwich. On the 31st another of 26 pounds weight was taken at the same place.
October 29th 1816
At a special meeting of the Norwich Corporation an address was ordered to be presented to the Prince Regent, praying for “the utmost retrenchment of the public expenditure consistent with the welfare of the State.”
Died this month, Mrs. Tabitha Starling, of Brooke, aged 103.
November 2nd 1816
Died at Narford Hall, the seat of Mr. Andrew Fountaine, his son-in-law, Mr. Thomas Penrice, of Great Yarmouth, to whom the eccentric Lord Chedworth left the bulk of his large property.
November 9th 1816
“The wealth of Mr. Watson Taylor, the purchaser of Houghton Hall, is immense. For that mansion, and a large track of land around, he gave the Marquis Cholmondeley £350,000. Mr. Taylor, by the will of an ancestor, is bound to spend £700,000 in landed estates, and besides the income which may arise from them he has £95,000 a year.”
November 10th 1816
Buxoo, a Bengalese, a native of Calcutta, was publicly baptised at Burnham Market church by the Rev. John Glasse, by the names of John Henry Martin. He was brought over to this country in a ship commanded by Capt. Glasse.
November 14th 1816
The Courier steam packet made its passage from Foundry Bridge, Norwich, to Yarmouth in three hours twenty-five minutes.
November 28th 1816
The Duke of Gloucester made his annual visit to Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., at Holkham Hall. During the week’s shooting Mr. Coke killed at Warham a female _Falco Lagopus_, or rough legged falcon, measuring nearly five feet across the wings, and two feet one inch in length. The male bird was afterwards caught in a trap at Wighton. Two of these birds were taken the following week at Wighton.
December 7th 1816
The Duke of Gloucester concluded his visit to Holkham. On the last day his Royal Highness proposed the toast, “Prosperity to those Whig principles which placed the House of Hanover on the Throne of Britain.”
December 14th 1816
“Died lately, regretted by all who knew him, in the 65th year of his age, Charles Boyles, Esq., Vice-Admiral of the Blue, and a few years since Colonel of the Royal Marines. This distinguished officer commanded the Windsor Castle man-of-war in the action off Ferrol, between the English fleet, under Sir Richard Calder, and the combined fleets of France and Spain. During this engagement it fell to the lot of but few ships to be advantageously opposed to the enemy. The return to Portsmouth of the crippled Windsor Castle with two Spanish 74’s was a triumph exultingly spoken of by Nelson as being principally the achievement of a Norfolk man. Admiral Boyles was a native of Wells in this county, and eldest son of Charles Boyles, Esq., many years collector of the customs at that port. He commenced his naval career with Lord Nelson in the Raisonnable, when commanded by Capt. Suckling.”
December 21st 1816
Wombwell’s “Royal Menagerie of foreign beasts and birds” was exhibited on the Castle Ditches, Norwich.
December 31st 1816
A prize fight took place at Wickhampton between Samuel Smith and James Rushmer. One hundred and eleven rounds were fought in two hours five minutes, when the ring was broken into, and owing to the confusion it was impossible to renew the fight, which was declared drawn.