January 1st 1814
A remarkable funeral took place at Shelfanger. The body of Mr. Smith, a farmer, was conveyed from Fersfield in a waggon drawn by his own team. The coffin was covered with a waggon tilt, and sacks of straw served as seats for his children and grandchildren. Behind the waggon walked his riding horse as chief mourner, and the singers of the congregation chanted a funeral dirge. “He was a person who in habits, manners, and opinions exhibited a singularity that was not easily paralleled.”
January 4th 1814
Died at St. Gregory’s, Norwich, aged 61, Mrs. Chesnutt, wife of Mr. John Chesnutt. For many years she was a favourite dancer on the Norwich stage.
January 4th 1814
At a special assembly of the Corporation of Norwich, it was decided to present to the Prince Regent an address, congratulating him upon “the late glorious victories with which the Almighty had been pleased to crown the arms of his Majesty and his Allies.”
January 5th 1814
Died, of wounds received at Bayonne, Ensign Hardy, 31st Regiment of Foot, son of Mr. James Hardy, of Hethersettt.
January 6th 1814
Died, at his house at Catton, Mr. Jeremiah Ives Harvey, Alderman of Conisford Ward, Norwich. He served the office of Sheriff in 1779, and was Mayor in 1783. He was in his 69th year.
January 7th 1814
A curious incident occurred at the funeral of Benjamin Edwards, for 20 years coachman to Lord Suffield at Blickling. “The corpse was conveyed from the house to the church for interment, followed by thirty servants in their liveries. After the Rev. Mr. Churchill had retired from the grave an old acquaintance came forward and performed a promise which had been made by each party, which was done as follows:—He enquired his age, and was informed it was 64. He then took a bottle of rum from his pocket and threw it upon the head of the coffin. From the fall the bottle broke and the rum was distributed upon the lid of the coffin. He said ‘God bless him. I have performed my promise as I am sure he would have done had I gone first.’”
January 8th 1814
“A few days since the harriers of Mr. J. Gooch unexpectedly found an outlying deer in Hempnall Wood, which they immediately drove from covert, and it afforded a most capital chase without a break for an hour and forty minutes, through sixteen parishes and a hard run of 28 miles.”
January 8th 1814
“Lieut. Robert Blake, of the 3rd Regiment of Foot, was so severely wounded in the action near Bayonne that he had his leg amputated.”
January 9th 1814
Very severe weather was experienced this month. On the 9th at nine p.m. the thermometer fell 20 degrees below freezing point, and the severity of the frost rendered the river impassable between Norwich and Yarmouth. On the 19th occurred a heavy fall of snow, which blocked the roads and prevented traffic. The mail bags were brought to Norwich on horseback; the London waggons which should have arrived on the 19th came in on the evening of the 20th, drawn by teams of twelve or fourteen horses. Carriers who had arrived in the city were unable to return; the Yarmouth coach was preceded by an empty waggon which, drawn by six horses, made a road for it. A second sharp frost occurred on February 15th, and continued to the 25th, when the thermometer registered 17 degrees below freezing point.
January 10th 1814
Mr. Crisp Brown was elected an Alderman for Coslany Ward, Norwich, in place of Mr. Jeremiah Ives Harvey, deceased.
January 13th 1814
A general thanksgiving took place for the late victories. The Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended service at the Cathedral, and at the various churches and chapels in the city collections were made for the poor.
January 13th 1814
The portrait of Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., painted by Sir Thomas Lawrence, was presented to the county magistrates by the subscribers, and placed in the Grand Jury chamber at the Shirehouse, Norwich.
January 26th 1814
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, presided over by Mr. Steward Alderson, it was decided to establish a similar society to the Norwich Benevolent Society, but upon a more extensive and permanent plan. Visitors were appointed for each parish, and £2,400 was raised.
January 26th 1814
News was received at Norwich of the conclusion of Peace between this country and Denmark, and St. Peter Mancroft bells were rung in celebration.
January 29th 1814
A main of cocks was fought at the Swan Inn, Norwich, between the gentlemen of Cambridgeshire and the gentlemen of Norwich, for 10 guineas a battle and 100 guineas the odd. Cambridgeshire won with five battles to the good.
February 5th 1814
Died at Scratby Hall, the Countess Dowager Home, aged 68.
February 5th 1814
“At the last General Quarter Sessions of the peace for the borough of Lynn, before Mr. Robert Bevill, Recorder, Mrs. Ann Clarke received the awful sentence of death for wilfully and maliciously attempting to stab her husband, Mr. W. Clarke, a ship master, with intention to murder him.” The prisoner was afterwards reprieved, and the sentence commuted to transportation for life.
February 5th 1814
Arrived at Yarmouth, Capt. Spencer, of that port, who had escaped from France, where he had for four years been a prisoner of war in the fortress of Bitche.
February 18th 1814
Died, at Hethel Hall, in his 89th year, Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart. An active magistrate for more than half a century, he was created baronet during the Whig administration of the Duke of Portland in 1783.
February 18th 1814
Died, at Walsham, Suffolk, aged 69, the Very Rev. Coombe Miller, Dean of Chichester and rector of Winfarthing and Snetterton. He was buried at Eccles, near Attleborough.
February 22nd 1814
The Corporation of Norwich subscribed £100 to the fund for relieving the distresses of the unfortunate sufferers in Germany.
February 26th 1814
In the Arches Court, Doctors’ Commons, was heard a cause for the restitution of conjugal rights promoted by Mr. (afterwards Sir) Thomas Beevor, of Mangreen Hall, against Ann Beevor. The parties were married at the parish church, Hargham, on August 24th, 1795, and cohabited together until June 30th, 1802, when Mrs. Beevor left her husband’s house, and some time after promoted a suit of divorce or separation by reason of his cruelty. In that suit Mr. Beevor was dismissed from the cause. In this case the court admonished Mrs. Beevor to return again to the society of her husband.
February 28th 1814
Died at Cardiff, Lieut. W. H. Clifford, husband of Mrs. Clifford, of the Norwich Theatre.
March 1st 1814
On the information of Joseph Stannard, a Norwich printer, named Stewardson, was fined “for omitting to affix his name to a song printed by him.” (See July 12th, 1814.)
March 11th 1814
Died, at his house in Welbeck Street, London, Mr. Henry Jodrell, of Bayfield Hall, who was for many years Recorder and Member of Parliament for Yarmouth, and one of the chairmen of Norfolk Quarter Sessions.
March 12th 1814
“Died, last week, at Woodbridge, Mrs. Fisher, wife of Mr. Fisher, manager of the Norfolk and Suffolk Theatrical Company.”
March 15th 1814
Died, at Bath, aged 34, Mr. R. Harley Cushing, comedian, a native of Norwich.
March 18th 1814
The Newmarket mail arrived at Norwich, with the horses decorated with laurel, bringing confirmation of the intelligence in the “Hague Gazette,” of Marshal Blucher’s victory over the French on March 9th. The bells of St. Peter Mancroft were rung.
March 21st 1814
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford, before Mr. Justice Heath, the action Mann _v._ Carroll and others was tried. The plaintiff was master of the Red Lion Inn, Thetford, and the defendants executors of the late Mr. James Mingay, Member of Parliament for the borough. The claim was for £338 15s. 5d., the amount of certain expenses incurred at plaintiff’s house at the General Election of 1806, including a dinner on the polling day, and a ball and supper on the following evening. Mr. Mingay and Lord William Fitzroy were returned, but the former had been unseated, and several questions arose as to his personal liability: first, whether or not any assumpsit could be fixed upon him at all; second, whether or not he was liable for the whole; third, whether he was or not jointly liable with his colleague; and fourth, whether or not upon the event of his death such liability vested in the survivor, absolving the personal representatives of the deceased. The defendants endeavoured to show that the expense of the entertainments was incurred by the Corporation of Thetford, and that Mr. Mingay took part as a guest and not as lord of the feast. The Judge held that Mr. Mingay “was personally liable from having partaken of the entertainments, it having been decided in many cases that in all public feasts the individuals present were jointly and severally liable for the whole expense incurred.” A verdict was given for the plaintiff for the full amount, subject to a reference as to the items of the bill.
March 21st 1814
At the same Assizes Robert Trundle and Rosetta Trundle were criminally indicted for forging a writing purporting to be the will of Mary Inalls, of Great Dunham, and for suborning witnesses to prove the due execution of such writing to affect the disposition of the property of the deceased with intent thereby to defraud the next of kin. The document had been proved as a will in the Archdeaconry Court of Norwich on July 17th, 1812, and was drawn in favour of the prisoners. The Judge thought there was not sufficient evidence of forgery, and under his direction the jury acquitted the accused.
March 24th 1814
The Dutch Regiment, about 600 strong, which had been formed at Yarmouth, embarked in three transports from that port for Holland.
March 25th 1814
Died, at Barnbougle Castle, his lordship’s seat in Linlithgow, in his 86th year, the Right Hon. Neil Earl of Rosebery, K.T. He married first, in 1764, Susan, only sister and heiress of Sir Randal Ward, Bart., of Bixley, who died in 1771, without issue, and secondly, in 1775, Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Vincent, Bart., by whom he had two sons and three daughters.
March 26th 1814
“Lieut.-Col. Harvey, acting Quarter-Master-General of the column of Lord Wellington’s army which fought in the battle of St. Boes, and had the brunt of the late actions, escaped unhurt. Lieut.-Col. Kerrison, of the 7th Hussars, greatly distinguished himself in the late actions. He seized the opportunity of charging the French infantry in disorder and flight, taking a great many of them. This regiment took about 600 prisoners. The whole army was witness of this affair with whom it is a subject of admiration.”
April 2nd 1814
“Mr. William George Daniel, of Folly House, Kent, and of Foulden Hall, in this county, a captain in the Army, and lord of the manor of Hackney, in the county of Middlesex, takes the surname and arms of Tyssen.”
April 6th 1814
With colours flying and the passengers decorated with the white cockade, the Newmarket mail brought to Norwich news of the entry of the Allied Army into Paris on March 31st. The church bells were rung, and a bonfire lighted in the Market Place. The rejoicings were renewed on the 9th, 10th, and 11th, upon the receipt of the intelligence of the counter Revolution, Buonaparte’s abdication, and the restoration of the Bourbons. On the last mentioned day the horses were removed from the mail coach, and the people dragged it thrice round the Market Place. The Chevalier De Bardelin, a French emigrant gentleman, formerly in the service of the King of France, left Norwich, where he had resided 15 years, to accompany Louis XVIII. to Paris.
April 9th 1814
The Rev. T. C. Munnings, of Gorgate Hall, East Dereham, exhibited at Norwich Market specimens of his “preserved turnips.” He introduced the plan of earthing up the roots in November and December for consumption in March and April.
April 11th 1814
Miss Binfield, of the Norwich Theatre, was elected organist of St. Mary-le-Tower Church, Ipswich.
April 16th 1814
“Mr. G. G. Lowne, a native of Norwich, who was taken prisoner on board his Majesty’s ship Shannon, when that frigate was wrecked on the rocks of La Hogue in December, 1803, lately arrived here, having made his escape from close confinement at Cambay on the approach of the Allies to that part of the French frontiers.”
April 19th 1814
A grand _fête_ was held at Yarmouth in honour of the victories. It commenced with a pageant called “The Triumph of Neptune.” The “sea god” landed upon the beach and headed a procession round the town. In the procession was an effigy of Buonaparte in fetters. “Afterwards 58 tables were laid on the Quay from north to south, each accommodating from 120 to 150 persons, to whom roast beef and plum pudding were served.” After dinner there was a naval procession to the Denes, where donkey races and other sports took place; a bonfire concluded the day’s rejoicings. The public subscription to defray the cost of the celebration exceeded £1,000.
April 23rd 1814
“The Earl of Home takes the surname of Ramey in addition to that of Home, in compliance with a condition contained in the will of his maternal grandfather, Mr. John Ramey, of Yarmouth.”
April 23rd 1814
“Died last week, aged 83, Mr. William Cutting, formerly a manufacturer, of Norwich, who served the office of Sheriff in 1790.”
April 23rd 1814
“Died last week, at Oakingham, Berks., aged 63, John Waddy, late of Covent Garden, and formerly of Norwich Theatre.”
April 29th 1814
An organ erected in St. Stephen’s Church, Norwich, by Mr. England, was opened by Mr. Pettet. Mrs. Solomon and Mr. C. Smith were the vocalists, who also took part in a concert held in the evening at Noverre’s Room, St. Michael-at-Plea.
The death took place at Oulton, this month, of Mrs. Margaret Dent, at the age of 100.
May 1st 1814
This day (Sunday), being May Day, “came on agreeably to charter,” the election of Mayor of Norwich. The polling continued throughout Sunday and Monday. At seven o’clock on Sunday evening the votes recorded were: Alderman Robberds, 762; Alderman Davey, 616; Alderman Back, 508; Alderman Patteson, 170. “The majority for Alderman Davey over Alderman Back being 108, the friends of the latter demanded that the books should be opened again next morning.” The second day’s poll was closed by agreement at 12 o’clock, when the result was declared as follows: Davey, 757; Robberds, 919; Patteson, 180; Back, 763. A scrutiny was demanded on behalf of Mr. Davey. It commenced on the 12th and continued till the 19th, when Mr. Davey withdrew. Mr. Robberds and Mr. Back were then returned to the Court of Aldermen, by whom the former was elected to the office of Mayor.
May 5th 1814
Mr. Fitzgerald, a favourite actor in the Norwich Company, appeared as Shylock, and delivered a farewell address, on leaving the circuit for the Theatre Royal at Hull and York, of which he was appointed patentee.
May 7th 1814
(Advt.) “Stoke Mills near Norwich. Jeremiah Colman having taken the stock and trade lately carried on by Mr. Edward Ames, respectfully informs his customers and the public in general that he will continue the manufacturing of mustard, and he takes leave to assure those who may be pleased to favour him with their orders that they shall be supplied in such a manner as cannot fail to secure their approbation.”
May 17th 1814
At a special assembly of the Corporation of Norwich it was resolved to petition Parliament against the proposed alteration in the Corn Laws.
May 18th 1814
Thorpe Asylum was opened for the reception of forty male pauper lunatics.
May 19th 1814
The minister, churchwardens, and principal inhabitants of St. Giles’, Norwich, went the bounds of the parish, and afterwards dined at the Woolpack Inn. “Ale, buns, and bumps were distributed among the attendants, one of whom swam across the basin in Chapel Field to observe the line of demarkation between St. Peter’s parish for which he received half a crown.”
May 21st 1814
“The long depending wrestling match between Lock and the Game Chicken was lately decided in favour of the former after a severe contest of a quarter of an hour.”
May 24th 1814
A _fête_ in celebration of the victories commenced at Thetford. A procession escorting an effigy of Buonaparte “loaded with irons” went round the town, and a ball took place in the evening. On the 26th 1,500 persons were entertained at dinner in a paddock. The Mayor presided, and the Bishop of Norwich witnessed the proceedings. Sports were held, and at night a bonfire was lighted, and the effigy of Buonaparte consumed in the flames.
June 1st 1814
Died in London, aged 53, Mr. Robert Herring, of Bracondale, Norwich. He was alderman for South Conisford Ward, served the office of Sheriff in 1791, and was Mayor in 1807. Mr. Thomas Thurtell, of Lakenham, was elected to the vacant aldermanship on June 6th.
June 1st 1814
A public meeting was held at the Guildhall, Norwich, when resolutions were moved by Mr. E. Taylor in opposition to the Corn Bill. The resolutions, which were unanimously adopted, represented that the citizens had for twenty years suffered great privations and hardships from the advance in price of all necessaries of life, and particularly of “bread corn,” that they viewed with alarm the measure introduced in Parliament as calculated to raise the price of grain; and that the proposed alterations in the Corn Laws were ill-timed, unwise, and oppressive.—The “Bill for Regulating the Importation Duties” was defeated in the House of Commons by a majority of ten on June 6th, and on the arrival of the intelligence by the Newmarket mail on the 8th, the horses were removed from the coach, which was drawn for three hours through the streets. Persons with large loaves of bread on their heads were on the box seat, bells were rung, and pistols fired, and at midnight a bonfire was lighted in the Market Place, and many depredations were committed by those who obtained the materials with which to feed the flames.
June 3rd 1814
The Expedition coach arrived at Norwich with news of the definite Treaty of Peace, which was signed in Paris on the 30th ult. Amid great rejoicings the people dragged the coach four times round the Market Place, and through the principal streets. On the 15th 500 freemen of the Long Ward were entertained by Mr. S. Mitchell to a dinner of roast beef at Harper’s Gardens; on the 16th the Mayor entertained the parochial poor, and there was a grand illumination in the evening. Peace was formally proclaimed on the 27th by the Mayor and Corporation walking in procession to various parts of the city. Before being admitted to the Close the Mayor knocked thrice at the gate, and informed Mr. J. Kitson, the Bishop’s registrar, that admittance was asked by virtue of his Majesty’s writ. The proclamation was then made in the Cathedral precincts, and on returning to the Guildhall the Corporation partook of refreshments. Mr. Sheriff Higgins entertained the company to dinner at his house in Pitt Street, and also feasted the poor. Thanksgiving services were held on July 7th, and 723 charity children were entertained in St. Andrew’s Hall. On the 20th at a quarterly assembly of the Corporation an address was voted to the Prince Regent congratulating him on “the highly honourable and auspicious Peace concluded with France.”
June 20th 1814
Mr. Robert Partridge, alderman, presented to the Corporation of Norwich “an elegant tripod in the Grecian style, to support a silver candelabrum of three lights, surmounted with the figures of St. George and the Dragon,” given by him in 1786.
June 21st 1814
Guild Day was held in the “old style” at Norwich by Mr. J. W. Robberds on his being sworn in as Mayor. The feast at St. Andrew’s Hall was attended by upwards of 500 guests, and a ball took place in the evening at Chapel Field House.
June 22nd 1814
A Musical Festival, “in celebration of the Peace,” commenced at the church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, with a performance of “Judas Maccabaeus.” The “Messiah” was given on the 23rd, and a selection of sacred music on the 24th. On each evening a miscellaneous concert took place in St. Andrew’s Hall. The principal performers were Madame Catalani, Miss Stephens, Miss Booth, Mr. Braham, Mr. Garbett, Mr. Turner, and Mr. Welsh; leader of the band, Dr. Hague; organ and pianoforte, Mr. Beckwith.
July 1st 1814
A meeting, presided over by the Mayor, was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, when resolutions were passed in favour of the abolition of the African slave trade, and it was decided to petition the House of Commons to the same effect. The opponents of the resolutions moved, as an amendment, that the Prince Regent was the only person to be addressed pending the negociations with France upon the subject. The resolutions were adopted by large majorities.
July 2nd 1814
“Capt. Matthias, of Stanhoe Hall, has returned to his family in perfect health after being a prisoner in France ten and a half years.”
July 4th 1814
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced on this date, a fortnight later than usual owing to the Peace celebrations in Norwich and the county. “None of the implements possessed sufficient merit to entitle the inventor to the handsome premium offered by Mr. Coke.”
July 6th 1814
Peace was proclaimed at Yarmouth by the Mayor and Corporation going in procession through the town. At night there was a general illumination.
July 7th 1814
Peace was proclaimed at King’s Lynn.
July 12th 1814
At the Norwich Quarter Sessions the case of the King _v._ Griggs was tried. This was a prosecution at the suit of Mr. Joseph Stannard, a pork butcher, against the defendant, a dealer, for the publication of a libel in the form of a song, entitled “Soup Meagre Joe.” The song reflected on the quality of the soup made by Mr. Stannard, at the request of a Mr. Mitchell, for distribution among the poor of the city during the severe weather in February, 1814. It was stated that the prosecutor neither received nor expected remuneration. His beneficence was rewarded by gross insults from the mob, by assaults, by placards in the streets, by anonymous letters, and by songs which were sung by “Blind Peter” and another ballad singer. One of these songs was printed by Mr. Stewardson from MS. furnished by the defendant. The jury, after four hours’ deliberation, returned a verdict of guilty, and the defendant was fined £10.
July 13th 1814
The first division of West Norfolk Militia, under the command of Col. Nelthorpe, marched into Norwich, from Yarmouth, where they had landed the previous morning from the Tickler cutter, and four Berwick traders from Leith. St. Peter’s bells were rung, and the men received the hearty congratulations of the citizens. The second division arrived on the 16th, commanded by Major Barnham. On the 18th the Earl of Orford, colonel of the regiment, entertained the officers and their friends at the Maid’s Head Inn. The regiment on the 19th received the thanks of the House of Commons for their services.
July 19th 1814
Died at Long Stratton, aged 60, the Rev. William D’Oyly, for more than 20 years curate of Stratton St. Michael and Flordon with Hapton. He raised a fund of nearly £500 by small subscriptions for widening and improving Briggs’ Lane, Norwich.
July 23rd 1814
Capt. William Hoste, R.N., was created a Baronet.
July 28th 1814
Dr. James Edward Smith, of Norwich, founder and President of the Linnean Society, presented to the Prince Regent a set of the Transactions of the Society, and received, on the recommendation of Lord Sidmouth, the honour of knighthood.
July 30th 1814
“The four sons of Mr. C. E. Bagge, M.P., late of Quebec House, Dereham, are authorised to take the name and arms of Lee Warner instead of Bagge.”
August 8th 1814
The Mayor and Court of Aldermen visited the annual exhibition of the Norwich Society of Artists.
August 11th 1814
The Hon. John Wodehouse, as foreman of the Grand Jury at the Norfolk Assizes, proposed, and Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P., seconded, resolutions recommending that a subscription be opened for the erection of a monument to the memory of Lord Nelson. At a meeting of the Norwich Corporation on October 22nd it was resolved that the city subscribe £200, and the Speaker was requested to attend the county meeting, and urge that the monument be erected on the Castle Hill “or some other commanding situation in or near the city.” At the county meeting, held the same week, it was announced that the subscriptions amounted to £5,138. At a meeting held at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich, on January 14th, 1815, it was resolved that the monument be erected at Yarmouth. The committee, at a meeting held during the Norfolk Assizes at Thetford on March 29th, 1815, after inspecting 44 plans and designs, “selected an Athenian Doric column sent by Mr. William Wilkins, architect, of London, a native of Norwich, and author of ‘Magna Græcia.’” Nearly £7,000 was subscribed.
August 14th 1814
Died, in Parliament Place, London, aged 85, Mr. E. H. Delaval, of Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, and of Hoddington, Lincolnshire. “By his death the mansion house of Seaton Delaval, and the family estate of the late Lord Delaval, has devolved upon Sir Jacob Henry Astley, Bart., M.P., for Norfolk, whose mother was his lordship’s eldest sister.”
August 20th 1814
“The officers of the 7th Hussars have presented Col. Kerrison with a piece of plate, of the value of 200 guineas, in testimony of their admiration of his gallantry at the battle of Orthes.”
August 22nd 1814
Races were held at Cromer, which at the time was very full of company, and the “new subscription room” and dances a great attraction to many distinguished visitors. “From the course being in the immediate neighbourhood of Gunton and Blickling,” it was expected that Cromer races would “soon vie with those of Yarmouth, &c.”
August 30th 1814
Mr. William Burt and Mr. R. Hawkes were candidates for the office of freemen’s Sheriff at Norwich. The former was returned with 810 votes as against 726 polled by his opponent. It was stated that “so severe a contest at the election of Sheriff had not taken place since 1781.”
September 11th 1814
Died, at Hoveton House, aged 85, Mr. Anthony Aufrere, for fifty years an active magistrate in the county.
September 13th 1814
The portrait of Mr. William Smith, M.P. (painted by Thompson), was placed in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich.
September 17th 1814
Capt. Robert D. Patteson, 6th Regiment of Foot, second son of Mr. John Patteson, of Norwich, was killed during the sortie made by the American troops from Fort Erie.
September 17th 1814
“Last week a single wicket match was played at Downham Market for a considerable sum between Mr. William Griggs, of Stow Bardolph, and Mr. James Hall, of Downham. Griggs, 8-37; Hall, 11-9.”
September 26th 1814
Died at Hadleigh, aged 34, Henry Reeve, M.D., one of the physicians of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and of the Bethel Hospital, Norwich.
September 28th 1814
A peal of six bells, purchased by public subscription in celebration of the Peace, was opened at New Buckenham. The bells were cast by Dobson, of Downham Market, and the tenor weighed 12 cwt. “A prize of six hats, value 10s. each, was given to the company who gave proof of their skill in ringing the best peal.” The Hopton company were declared winners, a distinction which was warmly contested by the Norwich men.
September 29th 1814
Died, in St. Giles’, Norwich, aged 85, the Rev. Thomas Howes, rector of Morningthorpe, and of Thorndon, Suffolk. “He was a profound scholar, and a formidable antagonist with Bishop Horsley of Dr. Priestley in the Tractarian controversy in 1781. He was also the author of several theological works.”
October 17th 1814
Mr. Thomas Coldwell, coach proprietor of Norwich, was presented by the Corporation with the freedom of the city in recognition of his services in forwarding the mails to and from Norwich during the severe weather of the previous winter.
October 19th 1814
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, “the justices having regard of the present high price of hay and oats,” ordered the following additional rates of allowance to be made in the county to persons who provided carriages for the conveyance of his Majesty’s forces in their marches, or for their arms, clothing, or accoutrements: 1s. for every mile any waggon with four or more horses, or any wain with six oxen, or with four oxen and two horses and their driver; 9d. for every mile any cart with four horses, or carrying not less than 15 cwt.; and 6d. for every mile any cart or carriage with less than four horses, and not carrying 15 cwt.
October 20th 1814
Mr. Samuel Wesley, the eminent organist, gave a recital at the church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich.
October 21st 1814
The Castle Corporation at Norwich celebrated its jubilee. The first meeting was held at the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, in 1764, under the name of the Bell Corporation, and “was governed by a Mayor, Sheriffs, and Aldermen, and the usual officers attached to a Corporation.” In 1793 the members were “much divided on the politics of the day, and particularly upon the French Revolution.” The society then separated into two political parties, “when those who viewed with horror the proceedings of the French Convention, and the attempts made by the correspondents to bring about a revolution in this country,” removed to the Castle Inn, assumed the name of the Castle Corporation, and espoused the principles of Pitt. At this dinner Mr. Charles Harvey, M.P., presented to and invested the “Mayor” (Mr. Crisp Brown) with a medallion containing a cameo likeness of Pitt.
October 22nd 1814
Four troops of the 5th Dragoon Guards marched into Norwich and occupied the Cavalry Barracks, whence the detachment of Royal Artillery was removed to the Infantry Barracks in St. Michael at Coslany.
October 29th 1814
For an attempted felony, Charles Pegg stood in the city pillory in Norwich Market Place for one hour. “The hoary-headed culprit was taken back to the City Gaol.”
November 20th 1814
Died, aged 74, James Church, sexton of St. Peter Permountergate, Norwich. “He had held the situation near fifty years, and buried upwards of 3,000 persons.”
November 22nd 1814
Died, at Eaton Hall, in his 55th year, Mr. Jonathan Davey, alderman of Norwich. Mr. Nathaniel Bolingbroke was elected in his place alderman of Colegate Ward.
November 23rd 1814
Died, at Costessey (at the seat of his nephew, Sir George Jerningham), General Jerningham, who was born in 1742, entered the service of France, and became colonel commandant of several of the Irish regiments. At the Revolution he returned home, where he remained until the Peace of Amiens in 1802, when he again proceeded to France. Unable to recover his property there, he was, on the renewal of hostilities in 1803, by order of Bonaparte, detained a prisoner with the rest of his countrymen, and it was only on the King’s restoration that he was released.
November 26th 1814
“Tower half-pence being refused to be taken in exchange, Mr. Smith, M.P., has written to the Mint, who have agreed to accept them under certain conditions.”
November 28th 1814
Four troops of the 5th Dragoon Guards marched from Norwich for Ipswich. A troop of the Duke of Brunswick’s Oels marched in on December 2.
December 9th 1814
A riot was occasioned at King’s Lynn by sailors who, with a number of other persons, forcibly took a portion of the crew from a vessel about to sail, and demanded a general rise of wages. The Brunswick Hussars from Norwich and the Freebridge and Lynn Legion speedily put an end to the tumult, and three of the rioters were taken to Norwich Castle under cavalry escort. At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich in July, 1815, the offenders were sentenced to two months’ imprisonment.
December 12th 1814
The Duke of Gloucester left Holkham Hall after a week’s visit to Mr. T. W. Coke, M.P.
December 13th 1814
The new tenor bell for St. Peter Mancroft church, Norwich, was deposited in the tower preparatory to its being hung in place of the old one, which had been taken down and broken up. The new bell was inscribed, “To the King, Queen, and Royal Family, this harmonious peal of 12 bells is dedicated. Thomas Mears, London, fecit, 1814.” The weight was 42 cwt., 2 qrs., or about 28 lbs. heavier than its predecessor.
December 21st 1814
Gas light was introduced at the shop of Mr. Harrison, the Market Place, Norwich. “Sixteen brilliant lights were kept burning for five hours at the trifling expense of 9d. in coals. The gas is conveyed from a small fireplace in the kitchen through tubes into branches.”
December 31st 1814
“The Prince Regent has been pleased to grant the dignity of a baronet to Mr. Thomas Preston, of Beeston St. Lawrence.”