January 2nd 1813
Polito’s menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Ditches, Norwich.
January 2nd 1813
“A smuggling cutter, with 600 casks of Geneva on board, was last week captured off Salthouse by the Sheringham Revenue boat. The vessel was taken to Blakeney harbour, and her cargo deposited in the King’s warehouse, at Cley.”
January 13th 1813
A Methodist Chapel, erected in Tower Street, King’s Lynn, and estimated to hold 3,000 persons, was opened.
January 17th 1813
Upwards of 1,000 persons attended evening service at St. Andrew’s Church, Norwich, when the sermon was preached by the Rev. Robert Walpole. This was one of a series of services arranged under a scheme of “evening lectures” by clergymen who had “volunteered to officiate alternately at the churches of St. Stephen, St. Andrew, and St. Lawrence.” The churches were “excellently lighted with lamps,” and the “accommodation of strangers particularly attended to by parish officers and other gentlemen.”
January 19th 1813
Mr. Steward Alderson, at the Norwich Quarter Sessions, called attention to “a species of nuisance existing in various parts of the town which not only endangered the public peace but also the public health and morals. He referred to the species of houses commonly called gin shops. If the magistrates had signed the licenses of such houses, it was wholly through ignorance of the sort of houses to which they were giving their sanction.”
January 19th 1813
At the Duke’s Head Inn, Lynn, a committee of barley growers of the county presented to Mr. Wm. Becher, of Docking, a valuable piece of plate in recognition of his exertions in promoting the success of agriculture, and in opposing injurious restrictions on the corn trade.
January 25th 1813
Died, aged 45, Mr. William Money Hill, of Waterden, an agriculturist of great repute in the breeding and selection of stock, and the winner of many prizes at the Holkham Sheep Shearings.
January 25th 1813
The third great main of cocks between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Cambridge commenced at the White Swan Inn, Norwich, and was continued on the 26th and 27th. The conditions were: to show 41 mains for 10 guineas a battle, and 100 guineas the odd, and ten byes for five guineas a battle. The feeders were Dean for Norwich, Flemon for Cambridgeshire. Cambridge won by five battles.
January 30th 1813
“A small farmer, who a few years since resided in the neighbourhood of Norwich, has written from Botany Bay to his former landlord, stating that Cabel, who about 25 years since was sent from Norwich Castle, is now become a very great merchant and the owner of twenty-five ships.” (In the year 1786 Cabel and a female prisoner were in Norwich Castle under sentence of transportation. During the two years that elapsed between the trial and the departure of the first batch of convicts, the woman gave birth to a child. Cabel, the father, was passionately fond of the infant, and appealed to the authorities to allow him to marry the mother. This was refused. The female and her infant were sent with the first contingent of convicts, and after a wearisome journey by coach in the depth of winter arrived at Plymouth in charge of Simpson, the turnkey of the prison. When Simpson handed over his prisoners to the captain of the transport that officer refused to take the child on board, alleging that he had no authority to do so. The mother was distracted by the separation. Simpson acted with great humanity. Taking with him the six weeks old child he proceeded to London by coach, and with much difficulty obtained an interview with the Secretary of State, to whom he related the story. The result was that not only was an order issued for the restoration of the child to its mother, but Cabel was permitted to sail by the same transport to the land of their exile.)
February 2nd 1813
Mr. Charles Harvey presented to the House of Commons a petition against the claims of the Roman Catholics, which was extensively signed by the clergy of the archdeaconries of Norwich and Norfolk.
February 2nd 1813
Mr. James Webb, known as the “Benevolent Stranger,” distributed considerable sums of money among the public institutions and the necessitous poor of Norwich. “For three days the Angel Inn yard was thronged with applicants who seemed unwilling to quit the spot even till some time after the philanthropist had taken his departure.” Mr. Webb made similar distributions at Yarmouth, Bungay, and other places.
February 2nd 1813
Died, Major John Bland, aged 77, many years in the 46th Regiment. “He had been in 42 engagements, among which was the memorable battle of Quebec.” He gave various bequests to the Norwich charities.
February 6th 1813
It was reported that small-pox had appeared in St. Stephen’s, Norwich. Six unvaccinated children died from the effects of the disease. The Court of Guardians offered a reward of 2s. 6d. to parents for each child vaccinated. During the month unvaccinated children continued to suffer. On March 27th it was stated that Letton, Cranworth, West and East Bradenham, and Shipdham, were among the parishes of the county “who had set a most laudable example in vaccination.”
February 20th 1813
“The second cousins of Mr. Henry Kett, late of Norwich, have generously presented the sum of £500 towards the establishment of a Lancasterian school at Dickleburgh, the native place of the deceased.”
February 26th 1813
A trotting match took place between a mare, the property of Mr. Crisp, of Stow, Downham Market, and a mare belonging to Mr. Brett, of Fordham, on the turnpike road from the Chequers at Downham Market to the toll-bar at Fincham. The stakes, £20 a side, “were won by the former by a furlong, the latter having broke eleven times during the journey.” The winner was ridden by Mr. Abraham Spinks, of Magdalen.
February 27th 1813
“Died, few days since in his 105th year, Mr. Ling, of Woodbastwick.”
March 4th 1813
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, it was resolved to open a subscription for the relief of the inhabitants of the Russian provinces suffering from the invasion of their country by the French.
March 5th 1813
Died in London, William Noble, formerly a member of the Norwich Company.
March 6th 1813
“We hear the Society of the Antient Order of Stagorians is now reviving in this city, and is likely to become a very respectable one.”
March 7th 1813
Downham Church was re-opened for service after being closed some months for restoration.
March 10th 1813
A general fast observed at Norwich. The shops were closed, and services held at the churches and chapels, at which collections were made for the relief of the poor.
March 12th 1813
Died, aged 69, Mr. Edward Sharpe, for upwards of 22 years keeper of the Norwich city gaol.
March 24th 1813
In consequence of the establishment of the Local Militia, the Volunteer corps of Infantry in Norwich and Norfolk were disbanded and deposited their arms. Each corps received the thanks of the Prince Regent for their patriotic services.
March 27th 1813
“The Amelia frigate, the Hon. Captain F. P. Irby, has arrived at Portsmouth after a night action with L’Arethuse, French frigate, one of the most desperate that has been fought during the present war. This excellent officer, who has been severely wounded, has been so actively employed during the last five years that he has not been resident at his seat, Boyland Hall, more than five days during that period.”
March 31st 1813
Died at Weasenham, aged 74, Mr. Thomas Sanctuary. “For many years he was an extensive and opulent farmer. He left his property among his relatives, with a legacy of £2,000 to Miss Coke out of respect and gratitude to his worthy landlord, Mr. T. W. Coke, under whom he acquired his handsome fortune.”
April 5th 1813
The West Norfolk Militia marched in three divisions from Berwick-upon-Tweed to Edinburgh Castle, where they entered permanent quarters.
April 10th 1813
Charles Harper, 26, and Edmond Impeon, 21, were executed on Castle Hill, Norwich, for a burglary at the dwelling-house of Mr. John Butler, of Barney. “After hanging the usual time their bodies were delivered to their afflicted relatives, and by them conveyed home for interment.”
April 17th 1813
Mary Turrell, apprehended on suspicion of being the mother of a newly-born child, whose dead body was found in Vipond’s pond at Harleston, committed suicide by poisoning. The coroner’s jury returned a verdict of _felo de se_, “and on the same evening about seven o’clock she was buried in the high road with a stake driven through her body in the presence of a vast concourse of people.”
April 25th 1813
Died, in his 67th year, Mr. James Bullard, many years master of the Bethel Hospital, Norwich. His death resulted from a wound in the stomach, inflicted with a scythe by a patient named Jonathan Morley, who was engaged in mowing the lawn in the inner court. The coroner’s jury returned a verdict of wilful murder, and Morley was committed for trial at the Assizes, when he was ordered to be kept in custody, “being insane at the time he committed the act.” In December, 1816, an order was received from the Secretary of State for the Home Department for the removal of the prisoner from Norwich gaol to the new Criminal Lunatic Asylum in St. George’s Fields, London.
April 27th 1813
The “light machine” commenced running between Wells and Norwich. It set out from Wells on Tuesdays and Fridays at nine o’clock in the morning, and travelled through Fakenham and Bawdeswell to the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, Norwich. The coach returned by the same road on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Mr. J. Sizeland was the proprietor.
April 29th 1813
The Duke of Cumberland arrived at Yarmouth, and embarked on board the Nymphen frigate for the Continent.
May 1st 1813
“The commanding officers of the Norfolk Regiments of Local Militia and the Norfolk and Norwich Volunteers have received orders to send the accoutrements of their respective regiments to the nearest ports for the use of the German levies against the common enemy. The arms have this week been sent to Yarmouth.”
May 1st 1813
A contested election took place for the mayoralty of Norwich. The candidates were Alderman R. Harvey, jun., Alderman J. Harvey, and Alderman Davey. The freemen demanded a poll for Mr. R. Harvey, sen., and Mr. J. Ives Harvey. Mr. Harvey, the elder, strongly opposed his nomination in consequence of his infirm state of health. The polling commenced at once, and continued till six p.m. The contest was resumed on the 2nd (Sunday) at ten o’clock, and at the close the voting was declared as follows:—Davey, 764; J. Harvey, 730; R. Harvey, jun., 717; R. Harvey sen., 9. The two first-named were returned to the Court of Aldermen. At a Court of Mayoralty held on the 3rd, Mr. John Harvey was objected to on the ground that he was not an inhabitant of the city as required by the Charter. This objection was upheld by Mr. Serjeant Lens, to whom the case was submitted, and on May 20 it was resolved at a Special Assembly to apply to the Court of King’s Bench for a mandamus to elect a Mayor. A writ was granted, and the election took place on June 7, when the candidates were Mr. Davey, who polled 801 votes; Mr. Barnabas Leman, 797; and Mr. J. Harvey, 749. The two first-named were returned to the Court of Aldermen, who elected Mr. Leman, and he was sworn into office on June 22.
May 6th 1813
A rowing match took place between four 4-oared boats from Carrow Bridge to Whitlingham and back, for a silver cup. The Zephyr (Mr. Yarrington) won. Distance, four miles; time, 36 minutes.
May 15th 1813
A historical drama, entitled “The Siege of Sarragossa, or Spanish Patriots of 1808,” by Mr. Bennett, a member of the company, was produced at Norwich Theatre.
May 17th 1813
The birthday of the Princess of Wales was observed in Norwich for the first time by the ringing of the church bells.
May 23rd 1813
Died at Bangalore, in his 26th year, Capt. Robert Beauchamp, of the Hon. East India Company’s Horse Artillery, Madras Establishment, third son of Sir Thomas Beauchamp Proctor, Bart., Langley Park.
May 24th 1813
The Bishop of Norwich commenced his ordinary visitation of the diocese, at Thetford, and on the following day at St. Peter’s Church, confirmed upwards of 700 persons. At St. James’s Church, Bury St. Edmund’s, his lordship confirmed 2,700 young persons; at Ipswich, 1,300; Woodbridge, 600; Framlingham, 700; Downham Market, 1,000; St. Nicholas’ Chapel, Lynn, 1,000; Redenhall, 662; at Norwich Cathedral, 800; and in the city and hamlets, 1,000. The Bishop expressed the opinion “that the number confirmed in the diocese, which was much increased since the last confirmation, was decisive of the laudable exertions of the clergy.”
May 24th 1813
The bounds of the parish of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, were perambulated, “the officiating individuals being saluted at every part of the parochial confines by sprinklings as memorials of the occasion. The water ordeal being gone through, the gentleman repaired to a good dinner and the cheerful glass.” On the 26th “the bounds of St. Andrew’s were in like manner ascertained.”
May 30th 1813
Three African youths taken out of a Portuguese slave ship by Capt. the Hon. P. F. Irby, of the Amelia frigate, and sent by him to Norwich for education, were baptised at St. Peter Mancroft Church.
June 4th 1813
“At Gretna Green, Mr. Thomas Bunn, corn merchant, to Miss Sarah Cobb, second daughter of Mr. John Cobb, of Yarmouth.” The parties were re-married at Gorleston by the Rev. Mr. Forster, on June 4.
June 7th 1813
Mr. J. Youngs, of St. Peter Hungate, Norwich, was carried in a sedan chair to record his vote at the Mayor’s election. On his return home he immediately expired. He was 85 years old.
June 8th 1813
Died, at the Grotto, Thetford, Mr. John Ellis, “long known as an industrious collector of antiquities, fossils, foreign birds, &c., of which he had a large and very curious cabinet.”
June 17th 1813
The first recorded “speech day” at Norwich Grammar School. It was described as “the first speech day of the kind ever held at Norwich or at this school,” and its inception was due to the fact that “the Latin oration which in former times used to be delivered at the school porch on Guild Day,” had been “for the last two years superseded by the non-observance of that annual festival.”
June 19th 1813
“Died, last week in St. Clement’s, the Widow Herring, in her 106th year.”
June 19th 1813
The officers of the Norwich Court Leet seized the defective measures of Edward Phillipps, a retail corn dealer, in King Street. The offender was fined by the court, who ordered the forfeiture of two of the measures.
June 20th 1813
Mr. Bowles, “formerly a respectable performer in the Norwich Company of Comedians,” preached at the Octagon Chapel to a numerous congregation.
June 21st 1813
Opening day of Holkham Sheep Shearing. It was stated in the course of the proceedings, that “a very large quantity of bones is collected in Norfolk and exported from Yarmouth to distant counties, where, after being ground or crushed, they are used as manure by farmers.” “Why,” it was asked, “should not Norfolk and Suffolk farmers lay their bones in their own counties?”
July 1st 1813
A rowing match for pair-oared boats took place at Whitlingham. Distance, one and a half miles; the best two heats out of three. The winner of the silver cup was the Achilles, owned by Mr. Homer.
July 4th 1813
The Expedition coach entered Norwich, with colours flying, and with the intelligence of the great victory of the Allied Army at Vittoria under Lord Wellington on June 21. “Mr. Coldwell, the proprietor of the coach, himself brought down from London a copy of the ‘Gazette Extraordinary,’ and read its glorious contents from the coach box to his fellow citizens assembled in the Market Place.”
July 7th 1813
The Mayor of Lynn (Mr. John Hemington) laid the foundation stone of the new Theatre in that town.
July 10th 1813
“Among the officers promoted to be lieutenant-colonels in the army in consequence of the victory at Vittoria is Major Robert John Harvey, assistant Quarter-Master-General of the Portuguese Army, son of Mr. John Harvey, Thorpe Lodge, Norwich. This gallant young officer had two horses severely wounded under him in the battle.”
July 13th 1813
Died, in this 70th year, Mr. Edward Barrow, of St. Saviour, Norwich. “A native of Manchester, and a yarn factor, Mr. Barrow was the first person who undertook the manufacture of cotton in this city; but what in a peculiar manner consecrates his memory is the merit of his having also been the first manufacturer of the shawl in this city, or perhaps in the kingdom. This brought in a new history in the era of the loom.”
July 14th 1813
At the Norfolk Quarter Sessions the Rev. Augustus Beevor appeared to try his traverse for an assault on Daniel Turner on June 4th, 1812. The Rev. James Carlos had, in consequence of the absence of the rector (the defendant), gone to officiate at Berghapton, by virtue of the license of the Bishop of Norwich. Mr. Carlos also farmed the glebe lands, and Turner was one of his tenants. Turner received a message from the defendant that he was about to clear the premises of stock belonging to Mr. Carlos, and on his going to the parsonage he was met by Mr. Beevor, who “scientifically fibbed him” about the head and face that plaintiff shrieked aloud for assistance, and two men rescued him from the clutches of his assailant. The defence was that it was “a square stand-up fight.” The jury returned a verdict of guilty, upon which an arrangement was made between the parties before the court pronounced judgment. Defendant was then fined one shilling, and discharged.
July 17th 1813
“We are happy to hear that the good effects of the victory of Vittoria were immediately felt in Norwich, as several manufacturers received large orders for broad bombazines which are made for the Spanish market, and which were ordered upon the idea of the whole of the Peninsula being now open to our trade.”
July 17th 1813
“Died, lately, in his 59th year, that ingenious artist, Mr. Henry Neale. He was the inventor of a model of machinery to represent a cotton manufactory.”
July 19th 1813
A trotting match, attended with much cruelty, took place between two ponies belonging to Mr. Howlett, of Fakenham, and Mr. Burgess, of the same town. They were matched to trot twice to and from Norwich, a distance of 100 miles, in the least time. “They both performed the first 50 miles in five and a quarter hours. Howlett’s pony, however, became quite exhausted when it reached the sixth mile-stone coming to Norwich on the second time and gave in. Burgess pursued his journey to Norwich, and returned as far as Morton, where the poor beast died almost immediately. Howlett’s reached Fakenham much injured.”
July 21st 1813
The annual meeting of the Unitarian Society was held at Norwich. The Rev. Robert Aspland, of Hackney, preached at the Octagon Chapel, and the members dined at the Swan Inn, under the presidency of Mr. John Taylor.
July 24th 1813
“Mr. Powell, of Weeting (familiarly called ‘Pogey Powell’), who shot the late Lord Falkland in a duel, was killed a few days ago by a fall from his horse, near Worwell, Hampshire.”
July 27th 1813
Died at her house in Pall Mall, in her 79th year, the Hon. Mrs. Keppel, widow of the late Hon. Dr. Keppel, Bishop of Exeter, aunt of his Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester, and mother of Mr. Frederick Keppel, of Lexham Hall.
July 31st 1813
“Died, lately, Susanna, the wife of Thomas Bolton, of Bradenham, eldest daughter of the late Rev. Edmund Nelson, of Burnham Thorpe, and sister of our immortal Nelson, still more happy in her virtues than in her lineage.”
Lord Wodehouse, this month, presented to the parish church of Hingham a stained glass window, in which were represented the subjects of the Crucifixion, the Descent from the Cross, the Resurrection, and the Ascension.
August 2nd 1813
This day was played “a grand cricket match in a field opposite the Prussia Gardens, Norwich, for 100 guineas, between eleven gentlemen of Norwich and eleven gentlemen of Bungay.” Norwich, 37-46; Bungay, 74-10, and eight wickets to go down. “Bungay refused to allow Messrs. Bredwell, Clabburn, and Pooley, three expert cricketers, to play in this match.” The return match took place, at Bungay on August 23. Norwich, 36-30; Bungay, 116.
August 4th 1813
A piece of plate was presented by the officers of the late City of Norwich Regiment of Volunteers to Mr. Elisha De Hague, their former Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant.
August 5th 1813
A six-oared rowing match took place from Carrow Bridge to Whitlingham Point and back, distance upwards of four miles, between the Sylph (Mr. J. Harvey, jun.), and the Aurora (Mr. Lowe). The Sylph won by 50 yards in 34 minutes 8 seconds.
August 7th 1813
At this date was published the statement “Norfolk grows the finest barley, and makes the worst ale of any county in the kingdom.”
August 7th 1813
An official notice was published announcing that it was in contemplation to demolish “the public-house called St. Andrew’s Steps, and the tenements adjoining in London Lane, Norwich, to lay a small part of the site into the street for the better convenience of the public, and to erect new houses thereon.”
August 9th 1813
A steam packet, intended for traffic between Yarmouth and Norwich, had her trial trip to Breydon. On her return “the boat went through the bridge amidst the acclamations of thousands of spectators.” This vessel, which was built near Leeds, plied regularly upon the Yare, leaving Turner’s bowling-green, Yarmouth, at seven o’clock in the morning, and returning from Norwich at three in the afternoon.
August 17th 1813
News was received at Norwich of the defeat of Marshal Soult by the Marquis of Wellington.
August 17th 1813
The High Sheriff, Mr. Thomas Trench Berney, arrived at Norwich from Bracon Hall, “preceded by a numerous cavalcade, his carriage drawn by four beautiful bays richly caparisoned, the attendant pages, one on each side, mounted on grey ponies and decorated with silk scarves and favours in the ancient style. The High Sheriff, in full court dress, proceeded to the Rampant Horse Inn, where he entertained a large company at dinner.”
August 18th 1813
At the Norfolk Assizes at Norwich, before Lord Chief Justice Mansfield and a special jury, an indictment was preferred against the keeper of the county gaol for suffering a prisoner to escape. The indictment had been moved by _certiorari_ from the Court of King’s Bench, and was tried at _nisi prius_. The main question was whether or not the magistrates of the borough of Castle Rising had legally the power of commitment to the county gaol. They had in this case exercised such power, and the gaoler had accepted the delinquent into his custody and given a receipt for him, but afterwards, on the advice of one of the visiting justices, had suffered him to go at large. The Lord Chief Justice thought it a question for decision in Westminster Hall rather than for an Assize of _oyer_ and _terminer_. Prosecuting counsel disclaimed all intention of enforcing the punishment of the gaoler, and the facts were all admitted on the part of the county, whereupon the special jury, _pro forma_, found the defendant guilty.
September 1st 1813
Killed at the siege of San Sebastian, in his 21st year, whilst gallantly fighting with his regiment, Lieut. George Norris, of the 47th Regiment, eldest son of the Rev. George Norris, of Foulsham.
September 2nd 1813
Died, at the house of her nephew, Mr. C. P. Herbert, at Setch Bridge, near Lynn, in her 85th year, Mrs. Stevens, “widow of Mr. George Alex. Stevens, of facetious memory, well known as the author and performer of the celebrated ‘Lectures upon Heads,’ and other pieces.”
September 3rd 1813
At Yarmouth General Sessions and gaol delivery, before the Mayor and Sub-Steward (Mr. W. Adair), John Boult Hannah, aged 70, was indicted for the wilful murder of his wife by strangling her on April 14th. “After the murder he washed the woman’s face, laid the corpse out, and was found sitting by the fire smoking his pipe with the body near.” He was hanged at Yarmouth on the Monday following the trial.
September 18th 1813
“The Earl of Kingston one day this week, at Heydon, bagged 56 brace of birds for a wager with the Earl of Yarmouth for a large sum.”
September 28th 1813
Died, aged 80, Edward Whetstone, 44 years clerk of the parish of Trowse Newton. He was originally a journeyman weaver, and had acquired some property. He purchased and presented an organ which was placed in the church in 1803, and his remains were interred beneath the instrument.
September 29th 1813
A meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, for the purpose of forming an association in aid of the Church Missionary Society. The Rev. H. J. Hare, of Docking, presided, and it was resolved that such association be formed, and “that it be known as the Norfolk and Norwich Church Missionary Society for Africa and the East.” Upwards of £800 was subscribed.
October 2nd 1813
Died at Yarmouth, Mrs. Martha Biggs, widow, aged 103.
October 2nd 1813
Bannister’s Equestrian Company, from Astley’s Royal Amphitheatre, commenced a season at the Pantheon, Norwich.
October 5th 1813
A grand Musical Festival commenced at Norwich, under the direction of Mr. Pettet, with a miscellaneous concert in St. Andrew’s Hall. On the morning of the 6th, 7th, and 8th, the “Messiah,” the “Creation,” and the “Redemption,” were rendered in St. Peter Mancroft Church, and concerts were given in St. Andrew’s Hall on the evenings of the 7th and 8th. The principal performers were Mrs. Dickons, Mrs. Bianchi Lacy, Miss Booth, Master Hobbes, Mr. Braham, Mr. Goes, Mr. Hawes, and Mr. Bellamy; leader of the band, Professor Hague; organ and pianoforte, Mr. Pettet.
October 11th 1813
Seventy of the supporters of Mr. William Smith dined at the Swan Inn, Norwich, to celebrate his return as member for the city.
October 16th 1813
“Mrs. Faucit and Mr. Vining, both late of the Norwich Company, have made their appearance on the boards of Covent Garden Theatre, and have been very favourably received.”
October 17th 1813
The Duke of York, accompanied by the Earl of Yarmouth, passed through Dereham on his way from Heydon, where has Royal Highness had been shooting with the Earl of Kingston.
October 23rd 1813
“In consequence of the numerous robberies which have lately been committed in the vicinity of Norwich, it is in contemplation to establish a horse patrol to act in various directions for the protection of property and persons.”
October 25th 1813
The festival of St. Crispin and Crispianus was revived by the journeymen shoemakers of Norwich, “who paraded the streets with music, and celebrated the day, through the liberality of their masters, at various houses.”
October 28th 1813
Died, aged 65, Mr. Edward Billingsley, of Hockwold-cum-Wilton. He served the office of High Sheriff in 1787.
October 31st 1813
Died at New Buckenham, in her 101st year, Mrs. Mary Gibbs. “She was born the 5th day of May, 1713, being the day peace was proclaimed with France in the reign of Queen Anne.”
November 1st 1813
Died, at East Dereham, Dame Eleanor Fenn, widow of Sir John Fenn, knight. “Under the names of Mrs. Teachwell and Mrs. Lovechild, she wrote several books for the benefit of the rising generation.” Her remains were interred at Finningham, Suffolk.
November 4th 1813
News was received at Norwich of the defeat of Buonaparte near Leipsic. St. Peter Mancroft bells were rung, and a bonfire lighted in the Market Place. There were further celebrations on the 10th on receipt of the news of the successes in Germany, and of the surrender of the fortress of Pamplona.
November 14th 1813
A new organ was opened at Holt Church.
November 15th 1813
This day was fixed for the celebration of the victories gained over France in Spain and Germany. At Norwich a bullock was roasted whole in the Market Place. The roasting commenced at nine o’clock the previous evening (Sunday, 14th). At noon a grand procession started from the Castle Meadow, and, passing through the principal streets, entered the Market Place. “At one o’clock Mr. Lowden, the butcher, commenced to carve the bullock, but the crowd broke over the barriers, and there was a disgusting waste of good provision.” Six hundred 2d. loaves and ten barrels of stout were given away. A public dinner took place at the Angel Inn, and in the evening a huge bonfire was lighted in the Market Place. Great depredations were committed in obtaining materials for the fire, and several offenders were committed to Bridewell. There was also a procession of stage coaches, and an effigy of Buonaparte was burned. A general illumination followed. Celebrations also took place in nearly every town and village in the county.
November 16th 1813
Died at Worlingworth, Suffolk, aged 81, Lewis Johnson, 35 years parish clerk of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. He resigned the office in 1812.
November 23rd 1813
Intelligence received in Norwich of a counter Revolution in Holland.
November 29th 1813
Capt. Cockburn, commanding Royal Artillery in Norwich, sent to Yarmouth 500,000 ball cartridges for the use of the Orange Patriots in Holland.
November 30th 1813
A wrestling match took place at Barford between “the noted Game Chicken” and “the East Tuddenham champion. There was a vast concourse of spectators, and the odds were seven to one on the Game Chicken, who won with the greatest ease, and was offered to be backed for 100 guineas against any 11 stone man in England.”
December 4th 1813
“Among the officers severely wounded in the late action in Bayonne were Lieut. James Day, of the Royal Horse Artillery, son of Mr. M. S. Day, jun., of Norwich, and Lieut. Charles Eaton, second battalion, 95th Regiment, son of the Rev. Eaton Browne, of Elsing.”
December 18th 1813
Eight French officers, taken prisoners at Cuxhaven, arrived at Norwich by steam barge from Yarmouth, on parole, and on the 20th left for Chesterfield. In a letter to the Mayor they acknowledged, in warm terms, the kindness they had received from the citizens of Norwich.
December 19th 1813
The Expedition coach arrived at Norwich with the intelligence of the defeat of Marshal Soult by the Marquis Wellington.