The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1811 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections

January 1811

A piece of plate, value 100 guineas, was this month presented by the principal inhabitants of East and West Flegg Hundreds to the Rev. B. U. Salmon, for his public services as a magistrate, and as a mark of their individual esteem.

January 19th 1811

“Greatly to the credit of the numerous population of Norwich the Bridewell doors were thrown open several days during the present week, there not being a single person confined for any misdemeanour, a circumstance that has not before happened for a great number of years.”

February 2nd 1811

A county meeting, presided over by the High Sheriff, was held at the Shirehouse, Norwich, when resolutions, stating the injury that would be sustained by a continuation of the prohibition of the use of grain in the distilleries, were agreed to. A committee of landowners and corn growers was appointed to adopt measures for the protection of the interests of agriculture. (The Distillery Bill was thrown out by the House of Lords.)

February 7th 1811

Died, at Norton Place, near Lincoln, in his 78th year, Mr. John Harrison, twice member of Parliament for Thetford.

February 10th 1811

Died, at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, in his 79th year, the Rev. Neville Maskelyne, Astronomer Royal, and rector of North Runcton.

February 12th 1811

Died, the Rev. Philip Wodehouse, brother of Lord Wodehouse, and a Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral, aged 66. In digging the grave for the interment of the deceased, beneath the organ loft at the Cathedral, the workmen found, two feet beneath the surface, a stone coffin enclosing a wooden shell containing the body of Dean Croft, who died in 1670. “His remains were found apparently in a perfect state, excepting the tip of the nose, and the shroud was a little discoloured.”

February 16th 1811

Robert Waller and John Kerrison, who were in the permanent employment of Mr. Lindley, of Catton, were committed to Aylsham Bridewell for one month’s hard labour, for “illegally combining to alter and lessen the usual time of his labourers going and being at work.”

February 17th 1811

Died, aged 62, John Thompson, lamp lighter of Norwich. “His lamp of life being out, and all his oil consumed, he was by his own request buried at St. Martin-at-Palace at night, all his brethren of the ladder and torch attending in the funeral procession with their flambeaux to light him to his long home, in the presence of thousands assembled on the plain.”

March 14th 1811

Died, at his seat at Euston, in his 76th year, the Duke of Grafton. His Grace had been Chancellor of the University of Cambridge, and Recorder of Thetford and Coventry.

March 16th 1811

A complaint was published that the posting masters in Norfolk charged at the rate of 1s. 9d. per mile, when nowhere else was the charge more than 1s. 6d.

March 17th 1811

A disastrous fire occurred at the warehouse of Messrs. R. and S. Culley, grocers, the Upper Market, Norwich. The fire engines were inefficient, and the appliances out of repair. Notwithstanding the exertions of a detachment of the Royal Artillery, under Capt. Cockburn and Lieut. Day, the fire communicated with the adjoining premises of Mr. Freeman, and the two upper storeys of his house were destroyed. “The Pope’s Head had a wonderful escape, almost surrounded as it was by fire.” The damage was estimated at upwards of £5,000.

March 20th 1811

A general fast was observed. Business was suspended in Norwich, where the churches and chapels were numerously attended, and collections made for the relief of British prisoners in France.

March 23rd 1811

The county magistrates examined plans for the erection of a lunatic asylum, and accepted those of Mr. William Brown, architect, of Ipswich.

March 25th 1811

At the Norfolk Assizes, which commenced at Thetford, before Mr. Justice Grose, William Charles Fortescue, Lord Viscount Clermont, was charged with an assault on Sarah Lumley, a widow, residing at Saham Toney. His lordship was ordered to pay a fine of 50 marks to the King.

March 25th 1811

At the same Assizes the tithe case, Royle, clerk, _v._ Parsley, was heard. The plaintiff, who was rector of Hilgay and proprietor of the tithes, sought to recover treble the value of the tithes on eight acres of wheat grown on the defendant’s farm. The defendant was the only occupier in the parish who paid the tithes in kind, and it was alleged that he had not fairly set them out. The jury returned a verdict for the defendant.

March 28th 1811

Died, aged 43, Lady Elizabeth, wife of Lieut.-General Loftus, and daughter of the Marquis Townshend.

March 30th 1811

“This week a main of 41 battles (of which 31 came in fray) was fought at the King’s Head Inn, Norwich (Norwich against Cambridgeshire) for 10 guineas the battle, and 100 the odd. Neither, however, were winners, each having won 15 battles, and the odd battle being a draw.”

April 2nd 1811

Miss Greenfield, an actress, made her first appearance at the Theatre Royal, Norwich.

April 2nd 1811

A Lancasterian free school was opened in College Court, St. Martin-at-Palace, Norwich, for 420 boys.

April 6th 1811

The receipts at Norwich Theatre on the occasion of the benefit of the manager, Mr. Hindes, amounted to £177 15s.

April 9th 1811

Mr. J. Moreton, formerly of the Norwich Theatre, died at Woolwich, in his 62nd year.

April 11th 1811

Miss Biffin, born deficient of arms and legs, was exhibited in a booth at Tombland Fair, Norwich. She had previously displayed her powers in miniature painting and needlework at the Angel Inn.

April 15th 1811

Died in St. Simon’s, Norwich, aged 86, James Fuller, who was for 51 years clerk of that parish. His funeral was attended by all the parish clerks in the city.

April 21st 1811

Interred at St. Saviour’s Church, Norwich, the remains of William Andrews, aged 85, many years sexton of the parish. The funeral was attended by 22 sextons of the city.

April 26th 1811

Died, at Buckenham, General Sir James Pulteney, Bart., from the effects of an accidental explosion of a flask of gunpowder six days previously. He was colonel of the 18th Regiment of Foot, and had distinguished himself in the American War. He served on the Continent under the Duke of York, and was Commander-in-Chief of the unsuccessful expedition against Ferrol. He was afterwards appointed Secretary of War. The interest of the money left him by his wife, the Countess of Bath, amounting to £50,000 per annum, devolved at his death upon the four children of Mrs. Monkham, who had been divorced from her husband, a son of the Archbishop of York.

April 30th 1811

Died in St. Peter Permountergate, Norwich, aged 63, William Harwin, nearly 40 years superintendent of the Unitarian Free Schools. “He had published a remarkably concise system of Stenography.”

May 1811

A census was taken in Norwich during this month. The population was returned as 37,256, an increase since 1801 of 424.

May 4th 1811

“Lieut. Richard Brunton, of the 43rd Regiment, son of J. Brunton, Esq., late manager of our Theatre, is appointed Captain in the 6th Regiment of Portuguese Cacadores.”

May 21st 1811

Intelligence received of a brilliant achievement in the Adriatic by Capt. William Hoste in the Amphion, who with two frigates and a sloop defeated the combined French and Italian squadrons of five frigates, a corvette, &c. He captured and destroyed four of the enemy’s frigates. The action took place on March 13th.

May 25th 1811

A Royal license was granted to Elizabeth Barber Bulwer, widow of Brigadier-General Bulwer, of Wood Dalling and Heydon, and only child of Richard Warburton Lytton, late of Knebworth Place, Herts., to take and use the surname and arms of Lytton in addition to and with those of Bulwer.

May 25th 1811

“This week the churchwardens and officers, and many of the inhabitants of St. John Maddermarket, St. Stephen’s, St. Augustine’s, and St. John Timberhill, went the bounds of their respective parishes, when the usual ceremonies of bumping and ducking (inside and out) took place amid the ringing of bells, &c.”

June 1811

The East Norfolk Militia, commanded by Col. Wodehouse, volunteered to serve in Ireland. The Government accepted their services, and the regiment arrived in Cork in the following November.

June 8th 1811

A thunderstorm of great severity occurred in Norwich.

June 15th 1811

“General Money has made an offer to the Commander-in-Chief to raise 400 rough hussars mounted on Welsh horses, by men below the army standard, to be embarked in four months. The object of this corps is to relieve the fine regiments of Cavalry in the Peninsula from all the harassing duties of the camp.”

June 18th 1811

A new Methodist Chapel was opened in Calvert Street, St. George’s Colegate, Norwich, by the Rev. T. Cooke, LL.D., successor to the Rev. John Wesley.

June 18th 1811

Guild Day at Norwich. “St. Giles’ Broad Street was decorated with streamers, garlands, and evergreens, whilst old Snap displayed his glittering wings and gilt tail, and cleared the way for the civic procession to the Cathedral.” After the service Robert Burrage, senior pupil at the Free Grammar School, and a “plebeian,” delivered the customary Latin oration at the school porch, and Mr. John Hamond Cole, having been sworn in at the Guildhall as Mayor of the city, entertained a company of 650 at the Guild feast at St. Andrew’s Hall.

June 20th 1811

Died, at Athlone, Ireland, aged 38, James Wheeler, formerly of the Norwich Company of Comedians.

June 24th 1811

Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced.

June 29th 1811

A cricket match was played on Mulbarton Common between the Ashwelthorpe and Mulbarton teams, “for 22 bottles of cyder and 22 lbs. of cherries.” The Ashwelthorpe players won.

July 15th 1811

Died, in his 69th year, at his house at Keswick, Mr. Richard Gurney. The interment took place at the Gildencroft burial-ground, Norwich.

July 18th 1811

A cricket match was played on Swaffham race-course between the gentlemen of Swaffham and the gentlemen of Terrington for 50 guineas a aids. The match lasted two days. Swaffham, 122-110; Terrington, 100-69. The return match was played at Terrington on July 22nd. Swaffham, 44; Terrington, 22-20. “Even betting on the match.”

July 22nd 1811

A cricket match was played on the Town Close ground, Norwich, between the 2nd and 3rd Norwich clubs. 3rd club, 47; 2nd club, 19-42.

July 22nd 1811

An inquest was held in St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, on the body of Ann Hammont, aged 28. “She destroyed herself in a manner very uncommon. She wound a piece of tape three times tight round her neck, and, finding it insufficient to effect her purpose, she resolutely put her head into a tub of water and so completed her suffocation.”

July 26th 1811

The anniversary meeting of the Norfolk Agricultural Society was held at East Dereham. In consequence of the increase of the members (nearly 200) new regulations were made for conducting the society.

July 27th 1811

Died at Richmond, Surrey, the Marquis Townshend, Earl of Leicester, &c., of Rainham. He was President of the Society of Antiquaries.

August 1811

Molineux, Richmond, and Belcher, “the noted pugilists,” visited Norwich this month, and “gave lessons in the science of self-defence.”

August 3rd 1811

Polito’s menagerie was exhibited on the Castle Hill, Norwich.

August 6th 1811

The portrait of Mr. Thomas Back, ex-Mayor of Norwich, was placed in St. Andrew’s Hall. It was painted by Clover, a native of the city.

August 8th 1811

After the lapse of half a century Heigham Water Frolic was revived in Norwich.

August 10th 1811

A prize fight took place at Fakenham between “the noted” Christopher Cox, of Sculthorpe, and J. Withers, “the blind boy,” servant to Mr. E. Holman, of the former place. “After two rounds in which Cox was confronted by his adversary, the conceit was pretty well taken out of him. Some little sparring then took place, when Cox was knocked down by a right hand facer, and after several other rounds, which were all in favour of Withers, Cox was completely beat off his legs.”

August 12th 1811

Between six a.m. and five p.m. two persons caught by angling near Buckenham Ferry 132 lbs. of perch, bream, and roach.

August 13th 1811

At the Norwich Assizes, before Mr. Justice Heath, William Charles Walker, aged 26, was sentenced to death for a burglary at the shop of Messrs. Dunham and Yallop, silversmiths, the Market Place.

August 19th 1811

A cricket match was played on the Town Close ground between the Norwich club and “the two new ones united.” Norwich club, 128; united clubs, 84-65.

September 3rd 1811

Married at North Elmham, Mr. Frost to Miss Copsey. “The marriage ceremony suffered a delay of two hours in consequence of the bride not having fully made up her mind, which occasioned a large assembly of the inhabitants at the church, before whom at last the knot was tied.”

September 5th 1811

A comet appeared and remained visible until October 24th. 11th.—The Norfolk and Norwich Auxiliary Bible Society was instituted at a numerous meeting held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. The Mayor (Mr. J. H. Cole) presided. The Bishop of Norwich was appointed president of the Society.

September 16th 1811

At a meeting held, under the presidency of Lord Suffield, at the King’s Arms Inn, North Walsham, it was resolved that the county members be requested to petition Parliament for a Bill for making a canal from Wayford Bridge to Lingate Common, North Walsham.

September 23rd 1811

Yarmouth Races commenced, and were attended by 20,000 people.

October 1811

Died, this month, Mr. Thomas Cooke, of Pentonville, a native of Norfolk. He bequeathed £6,600 three per cent. Consols to Doughty’s Hospital, Norwich, expressly to augment the weekly allowance to the inmates; £1,750 to Cook’s Hospital; £1,000 to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital; and a like sum to the Blind School. He also gave £2,100 three per cents. to Framlingham Hospital; £700 to Valinger’s Hospital; and £2,300 to St. James’s Hospital at Lynn, where the testator resided some years previously. Mr. Cooke was an eccentric character, and was known as the “Pentonville Miser.”

October 8th 1811

A grand Musical Festival commenced in Norwich, when a miscellaneous concert was given at St. Andrew’s Hall. On the 9th a selection of sacred music was performed in the church of St. Peter Mancroft. The “Messiah” was produced on the 10th, selections were given from various composers on the 11th, and on both evenings concerts took place in St. Andrew’s Hall. The principal vocalists were Madame Catalani, Miss Booth, Mrs. Branchi, Mr. Braham, Mr. Goss, and Mr. Bellamy. The prices of admission were: Single tickets for the church from the orchestra to the altar, 10s. 6d.; side aisles, 7s. Single tickets for the hall, for the division west of the orchestra, 10s. 6d.; other parts, 7s. The receipts amounted to £1,800.

November 1811

H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester this month visited Holkham, as the guest of Mr. T. W. Coke.

November 9th 1811

“Died, lately, at Scarborough, Mr. Bramwell, formerly of the Theatre Royal, Norwich.”

November 16th 1811

“The Master of the Rolls has appointed Mr. Charles Knight Murray, eldest son of Mr. Charles Murray, and grandson of Dr. John Murray, of Norwich, to be second secretary to his Honour.”

November 18th 1811

At a special assembly of the Corporation of Norwich it was resolved, in consequence of the increased prices of grain, to petition the Prince Regent to cause the distillation of spirits from corn to be suspended until the sense of Parliament could be taken thereon. Wheat at that time was quoted at 45s. to 63s.; barley at 20s. to 26s.; oats, 13s. to 17s. per coomb; malt, 44s. per coomb; and flour, 95s. per sack. Prices declined soon afterwards.

November 27th 1811

In the Court of King’s Bench, before Lord Ellenborough, a rule against Mr. Thomas Hoseason, a magistrate for the county of Norfolk, for having acted in his own cause in committing to the house of correction his servant, General Batterby, there to be kept to hard labour, and publicly whipped, was discharged on payment of costs.

November 30th 1811

“Mr. Angerstein has completely wound up his extensive mercantile concerns, and retired from business with an immense fortune, most honourably acquired. One of the last purchases which he made was a Government annuity of £3,000 on his own life. Weeting Hall, formerly Lord Montrath’s, was also a recent purchase.”

December 1811

Prices were very high this month. Wheat was quoted at 100s. to 110s.; rye, 46s. to 48s.; barley, 36s. to 47s.; and oats, 28s. to 32s. per quarter. The average price of wheat was 53s. 4d. per coomb, and the average price of flour £4 11s. 6d. per sack. Coals were 46s. 4d. per chaldron.

December 10th 1811

At a meeting of the Trafalgar Lodge of Oddfellows, held at the Three Tuns, St. Andrew’s, Norwich, the floor of the upper room gave way and precipitated the members into a lower apartment. “One of the members on finding himself sinking laid hold of the bars of the fire grate, but he soon relinquished his hold and dropped on his companions.” No one was injured. The meeting, at the time of the accident, had under discussion the question of the desirability of removing the lodge to other quarters.

December 28th 1811

An equestrian troupe, under the management of Mr. Moritz, opened for the season at Harper’s Pantheon, Norwich.

December 28th 1811

Bullock’s Museum of Natural History and productions of the fine arts was exhibited in the large room at the Angel Inn, Norwich.