January 14th 1809
“The orders lately come down to Norwich, besides affording constant employment to most of the manufacturing poor for nearly twelve months, will in the different branches of labour diffuse upwards of £40,000 in earnings, exclusive of the amount circulated for combing and spinning.”
January 15th 1809
The Norwich Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Lieut.-Col. De Hague, was formed into a battalion of five companies of 60 men each.
January 25th 1809
A “grand operatical romance,” entitled “The Forty Thieves,” was produced for the first time at Norwich Theatre, with scenery specially painted by Dixon.
January 28th 1809
(Advt.) “A card. Mr. Lambert, from Leicester, respectfully informs the ladies and gentlemen of Norwich and its vicinity that he arrived on Sunday at Mr. Leeche’s, at the King’s Head, where he will see company from 11 to 2, from 3 till 6, and from 7 till 9 each day. Admission one shilling each.” Lambert died on Wednesday, June 21st, 1809, at Stamford. He was in his 40th year, and weighed 52 stones 11 lbs.
January 28th 1809
In consequence of a rapid thaw, the low lying parts of Norwich were flooded. “Some of the houses were six or seven feet under water,” and boats were rowed in the street at St. Martin-at-Oak. The marshes below Norwich were so inundated that the course of the river could not be traced, and the barge proceeding to Yarmouth had to return, in consequence of the men being unable to find the channel.
January 30th 1809
During a violent gale a stack of chimneys fell on the roof of an old house in Cockey Lane, Norwich. Mr. and Mrs. Graham were buried in the ruins and killed. On the same night a large tree in Sprowston Park was blown down. It was planted the day King Charles was beheaded, January 30th, 1649.
Died, this month, Mr. John Wagstaffe, of Bawburgh. He was the author of a poem, entitled “Stonehenge,” dedicated to his friend and neighbour, Mr. Edward Jerningham.
February 3rd 1809
Mr. S. Mitchell (as nominee for the Wymer Ward, Norwich) obtained judgment in the Court of King’s Bench, by which it was ruled that Militiamen out on duty, but having dwellings in the city in which their families lived, had a right to vote at ward elections.
February 7th 1809
A stage coach, owned by Mr. Wm. Funnell, and known as the Lynn and Norwich Telegraph, commenced running. It left the Star Inn, Lynn, on Tuesdays and Fridays at eight a.m., and arrived at the Woolpack Inn, Norwich, at eight p.m. It ran by way of Grimston, Great Massingham, Rougham, Litcham, Mileham, Stanfield, Brisley, Elmham, Billingford, Bawdeswell, Lenwade Bridge, Attlebridge, and Drayton. The return journey was on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
February 24th 1809
Died, at his house in Bruton Street, London, aged 85, the Right Hon. the Earl of Orford. His lordship was the nephew of the famous Sir Robert Walpole, afterwards Earl of Orford. For many years he sat in the House of Lords as Baron Walpole of Wolterton. On the death of Horace, Earl of Orford, he succeeded to the Barony of Houghton, the Earldom becoming extinct, but he was afterwards created Earl of Orford. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Lord Walpole, who was for many years member for Lynn. General Walpole, who concluded the treaty with the Maroons in Jamaica, who seconded Mr. Tierney in his duel with Mr. Pitt, and who was one of Mr. Fox’s secretaries, was a younger son of the deceased Earl. The remains were brought from London for interment in the family vault at Wolterton. The funeral procession passed through Norwich on March 10th in the following order:—“Four horsemen preceding the Earl’s coronet, borne on a cushion of crimson velvet by a person on horseback, bare headed; then the body in a hearse, surmounted with plumes and drawn by six horses, followed by a mourning coach and six; his lordship’s coach and six, with blinds up, and servants on horseback closed the procession.” The great bell of St. Peter Mancroft, and the bells of other churches tolled as the procession passed through the city.
February 28th 1809
The Norwich Squadron of Light Horse Volunteers had just concluded their drill on Mulbarton Common, when Capt. Darell’s hounds drove a stag across the parade ground. The Volunteers at once joined in the chase, “to which it will readily be conceived their numbers and appearance gave a great _éclat_.” The stag was taken alive in a shed at Mangreen, after a run of 3 hours 10 minutes.
April 3rd 1809
A trotting match took place between Young Adonis, a colt belonging to Mr. James Neeve, of Terrington St. Clement, and an eight year old horse, Hue and Cry, owned by Mr. James Mathew, of the same place. The stakes were £20 a side, and the distance five miles. The colt, which carried 13 stones, covered the distance in 19 minutes, and won.
April 10th 1809
A meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, at which resolutions were passed, thanking Col. Wardle and his supporters for their conduct in Parliament, respecting the charges preferred against the Duke of York.
April 21st 1809
A new peal of bells was opened at Wiveton. The tenor, weighing upwards of 11 cwts., was cast and hung by Mr. Wm. Dobson, of Downham Market.
April 22nd 1809
The postmasters announced that “from the wonderfully high prices of horses, hay, corn, &c.,” they were “under the disagreeable necessity of charging eighteen pence per mile from this date.”
April 27th 1809
Died, aged 32, in Arras prison, John Rising, sixth son of Mr. Robert Rising, of Somerton Hall. He commanded the Vanguard letter of marque, which was captured, on her return from Trinidad, off Beachy Head, by the Ambuscade, after a desperate resistance. The remains of the deceased were followed to the grave by upwards of 200 Englishmen.
May 9th 1809
The six regiments of Norfolk Local Militia assembled for 28 days’ training at Norwich, Yarmouth, Lynn, and Swaffham.
May 11th 1809
Notice was issued of an intended application to Parliament for an Act for erecting a bridge over the river Wensum, at or near the Foundry, in the parish of St. Peter per Mountergate, Norwich, for making roads for connecting the bridge with the Thorpe turnpike road and the Castle Hill, and for raising money to carry the Act into execution. A petition for leave to bring in a Bill was presented in the House of Commons in February, 1810, and on March 13th the Bill was read a second time, and committed. It was announced on April 14th that the measure had passed the House of Commons, and been read a first time in the House of Lords. On April 18th, the Bill received the Royal assent. The first stone of the bridge was laid on August 6th by Alderman Jonathan Davey, the projector of the undertaking. The contractor was Mr. Mendham, of Holt.
May 12th 1809
On this day the thermometer stood at 80 degrees in Norwich.
May 13th 1809
The Rev. Charles Millard appointed Chancellor of the Diocese of Norwich, on the resignation of the Rev. Henry Bathurst.
May 19th 1809
The officers of the Lynn Freebridge Legion presented a sword to their commanding officer, Lieut.-Col. Taylor.
Brooke House (with 170 acres of land), formerly the residence of Sir Roger Kerrison, was this month purchased by Mr. Thomas Kett, of Seething, for £16,010.
June 3rd 1809
Died, aged 49, John Christmas Beckwith, Mus. Doc., organist of Norwich Cathedral and St. Peter Mancroft. On the 7th, “the remains of this eminent musician were interred in St. Peter’s Church under the organ, agreeable to his own desire.” His son, Mr. John Beckwith, succeeded him in both appointments.
June 7th 1809
Died, in his 68th year, at his house in St. Saviour, Norwich, Mr. Thomas Watson, who served the office of Sheriff in 1789, and of Mayor in 1790.
June 17th 1809
Mr. Bannister appeared at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, in his entertainment, “Bannister’s Second Budget for 1809.”
June 18th 1809
Miss Booth, a well-known Norwich musician, elected organist at the Octagon Chapel, in the place of Mr. John Beckwith.
June 19th 1809
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. An improved turnip drill, made by Mr. Coke’s blacksmith (Mann), was exhibited. “By this drill the oilcake dust and turnip seed are kept separate till they come into the funnels, from which they combine and fall into the drills.” A manure drill cart, invented by Blyth, of Norwich, was also shown. “This implement first ploughs the soil, deposits the manure, and sows the seed after it, and both are instantly buried up.” It was worked by two horses and three men. Mr. Lester, of Paddington, exhibited a working model of a newly-invented machine for separating the corn and seeds from the straw and chaff.
June 20th 1809
Guild Day at Norwich. Mr. Thomas Back was sworn in as Mayor, and entertained 640 guests at the Guild feast in St. Andrew’s Hall. At the ball at Chapel Field House the dancing was opened by the Mayor and Mrs. William Jerningham. The prisoners in the city gaol thanked the Mayor “for one guinea on the Guild Day, and for a plentiful basket of meat from the hall, which was equally divided amongst them.”
June 26th 1809
The Bishop of Norwich confirmed 800 persons at the Cathedral.
June 27th 1809
Swaffham Races re-established with great success. Four plates were run for on this and the next day, and several of the horses were from Newmarket. “Public ordinaries were provided at the different inns; that at the Crown was attended by a select party of 68 ladies and gentlemen. At seven the former retired to their toilettes, and at about nine o’clock proceeded to the assembly-room, where the company numbered 200 persons. The ball was opened by Mr. P. Hamond and Miss Upcher.”
July 5th 1809
Arrived, at Yarmouth, part of the 40 sail of transports, for the purpose of receiving on board the 2nd Battalions of the 11th and 59th Regiments of Foot, the 1st Battalion of the 79th, and other regiments for the Expedition.
July 11th 1809
At Norwich Quarter Sessions, George Hubbard was indicted for stealing a pair of velveteen breeches. “The offence being for a grand larceny the prisoner was allowed to plead the benefit of clergy.” He was sentenced to six months’ solitary confinement and to be publicly whipped.
July 12th 1809
A curious case was tried at the Norfolk Quarter Sessions. In the course of the inquiry into the conduct of the Duke of York in September, 1808, it was stated that a Mrs. Sinclair Sutherland had written to his Royal Highness to induce him, “for certain reasons,” not to permit Major Turner, 3rd Dragoon Guards, to sell out in favour of Lieut. Sitwell until the following March. In consequence of this communication, Major Turner’s resignation was not accepted until some months after it had been sent in. Major Turner went to reside at Buckenham, in this county. Owing to the annoyance to which he was subjected by Mrs. Sutherland, who, it was alleged, had been under his protection, he appeared in court and moved to exhibit articles of the peace against her. The court ordered the defendant to enter into her own recognisances of £100 and to keep the peace for one year. At the Quarter Sessions on October 4th, Major Turner exhibited fresh articles against Mrs. Sutherland, and stated that seven days after entering into her recognisances she again appeared at his house and committed a breach of the peace. The court thereupon ordered Mrs. Sutherland to find two sureties of £100 each, and to keep the peace for twelve months. Not being prepared with her bond, she was committed to Norwich Castle, but was afterwards released upon two Norwich gentlemen agreeing to be bound for her.
July 15th 1809
Mr. Incledon appeared at the Theatre Royal, Norwich, in his entertainment, in three parts, entitled, “A Voyage to India.” A recitation was given by Mr. Powell, formerly of Norwich Theatre, and of Drury Lane Theatre.
July 22nd 1809
A duel was fought, “in a grove near Norwich, between Mr. B . . . n and Mr. L . . b . . t, both of Norwich, in consequence, we understand, of their paying their addresses to the same young lady. The parties fired, but neither received any injury, after which a reconciliation took place, and Mr. L. resigned his pretensions to the fair lady.”
July 24th 1809
A letter was received by the Commandant of the Norwich Volunteer Infantry, from the Lord Lieutenant of the County, “signifying his Majesty’s intention not to make any further allowance for clothing to Volunteer corps, and desiring to know whether the Norwich Volunteers would consider themselves a corps, or transfer their services to the Local Militia?” The Colonel replied “that they would continue their services as long as his Majesty would be pleased to accept them and their present clothing held out.”
July 29th 1809
It was announced that Mr. Henry Aston Barker, “who painted the pictures of London, Paris, Constantinople, Edinburgh, Dublin, Cairo, &c.,” exhibited in Leicester Square, London, had drawn “a panoramic view of Norwich and the surrounding country, as seen from the Castle Hill, accompanied by a perspective view of the Castle, engraved in stroke by Mr. Williams.”
July 31st 1809
The annual exhibition of the Norwich Society of Artists was opened in Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court.
July 31st 1809
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich, the case of the King _v._ Larke, Mileham, and others was tried. This was a prosecution for rioting in a Dissenting meeting-house at Aylsham, and for an assault upon a preacher, named Joseph King, on Sunday evening, March 13th, 1808. The defendants behaved in a very disorderly manner in the chapel, and carried off the minister by force to the Dog Inn. The case was settled by the defendants apologising to the prosecutor in open court, and by paying the costs of the prosecution.
July 31st 1809
At the same Assizes, Lord Chief Justice Mansfield had before him the action, Leathes, clerk, _v._ Baker. It was brought by the Rector of Reedham, under a statute of Edward VI., to recover treble the value of the tithes of corn grown on the defendant’s farm there, in 1808, and involved in dispute a sum of between £300 and £400. The two main points which the plaintiff endeavoured to substantiate were, first, that the tenant had not set out the tithes according to law; and, secondly, if set out, it was done fraudulently and unfairly. It was proved that in one field defendant cut the whole crop, tithed and carried a part on one day, and the remainder on the following day. The Judge ruled that this mode of tithing was contrary to law, and said he was sorry to be obliged to direct the special jury to find for the plaintiff. The jury, after requesting his lordship to inform them what was the lowest sum they could award, so as not to subject the defendant to costs, assessed the amount at £8. A similar action was brought by the same plaintiff at the Lent Assizes at Thetford, on March 19th, 1810, against a farmer, named Maddison, when the jury found for the defendant. At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich, on August 13th, 1810, before the Lord Chief Justice, Baker brought an action against Mr. Leathes, to recover damages for inconvenience and loss sustained by him in 1808, by reason of the defendant allowing his tithes to remain and rot on the plaintiff’s land. A verdict was given for Baker, damages, £150. At the same Assizes, Mr. Leathes brought an action against a farmer, named Long, for not setting out his tithes according to law. Verdict for the plaintiff, damages, £12.
July 31st 1809
The Grand Jury for the County held a meeting, at which renewed efforts were commenced to procure the removal of the Lent Assizes from Thetford to Norwich. It was decided to petition Parliament with that object. At Norwich Quarter Sessions, on October 3rd, the Grand Jury made a presentment, asking the city magistrates to co-operate with the county justices. On October 11th, the Norwich Corporation resolved to aid the county in the application to Parliament, and in February, 1810, a petition in favour of the removal was presented in the House of Commons by Mr. Patteson.
August 6th 1809
A wedding “of an unusual kind was celebrated at Swaffham. The bride and bridegroom, young persons, were both quite blind.”
August 10th 1809
Races took place at Mattishall. A purse, “given by the town,” was won by a horse, named Lord Paget, owned by Mr. Carter, a well-known leader of sport in the district.
August 14th 1809
Died, at his seat at Costessey, aged 74, Sir William Jerningham, Bart., (“subject to the decision now pending in the House of Lords”) Baron Stafford, of Stafford Castle. He was succeeded in his title and estate by his eldest son, Mr. George Jerningham, Haughley Park.
August 15th 1809
News was received at Norwich of the victory of the British Army in Spain, under Sir Arthur Wellesley.
August 16th 1809
The first division of the West Norfolk Militia marched into Norwich from Colchester, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Nelthorpe. The second division, commanded by Capt. Barnham, arrived next day. The regiment, which had not been stationed in Norwich for nearly 30 years, had the Earl of Orford as its colonel-in-chief.
September 4th 1809
One hundred prisoners of war, from Flushing, arrived at the Cavalry Barracks, Norwich, from Yarmouth, and next day proceeded on their route to Norman Cross. Among them were several officers, and their wives and families, who were sent to Northampton and Chesterford. They expressed their gratitude to the Mayor, magistrates, and citizens, for the humane treatment they had received in Norwich.
September 13th 1809
Overstrand Hall was purchased by Lord Suffield for £16,510.
September 16th 1809
“Mr. Laverock Love, a young officer of the Aboukir, only 18 years of age (son of Mr. Love, surgeon, of East Dereham, in this county), had the command of a launch at the bombardment of Flushing, and was the first who fired a shot. Letters have been received from several of his brother officers, speaking in the highest terms of his intrepid gallantry.”
September 21st 1809
A plan for the regulation of the Cattle Market was adopted by the Corporation of Norwich.
October 3rd 1809
H.R.H. the Duke of York left Buckenham Lodge, the seat of General Sir J. Pulteney, to whom he had been on a visit for the shooting.
October 7th 1809
(Advt.) “This day the ‘Norwich and Yarmouth Courier’ will be published and ready for delivery on the arrival of the mail, at the ‘Courier’ Office, late Post Office, Market Place, Norwich, containing the same news as the London papers delivered on Saturday in Norwich, and, of course, such as cannot appear in any country paper till the following week. A newspaper, gratis, sent post free to every advertiser.”
October 11th 1809
The Corporation of Norwich voted a loyal address of congratulation to his Majesty, on his entering, on October 25th, upon the 50th year of his reign. It was decided by nine votes to eight not to celebrate the Jubilee “by roasting a bullock in the Market Place and giving away 10 barrels of beer”; and the aldermen negatived a proposal to appropriate a sum out of the Corporation revenues to secure the discharge of certain debtors, as a means of commemorating the event.
October 17th 1809
Three newly-erected paper mills at Elsing “were set to work on an entirely new principle.”
October 19th 1809
Died, in an obscure apartment in the White Hart Yard, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Mr. Robert Fenn. “In the early part of his life his company was sought after and welcomed by persons of high rank in the sporting line. He possessed great skill as a marksman, and had the best method of training dogs. As a tavern companion he was jocular, facetious, and replete with anecdote, entertaining the company, and inspiring mirth with his oddities and eccentricities.” He was in his 75th year.
October 20th 1809
The worsted and silk and worsted manufacturers of Norwich granted the weavers an increase of wages, involving an additional expenditure of £5,000 per annum.
October 22nd 1809
A new altar-piece, of Gothic design, the work of Mr. Copping, of St. Stephen’s, Norwich, was erected in Braconash Church.
October 25th 1809
Celebration of the Jubilee of George III. The Mayor (Mr. Thos. Back) and the Corporation of Norwich attended service at the Cathedral. At the conclusion of the service the civic procession returned to the Guildhall, and the garrison and Volunteers fired a _feu de joie_ on the Castle Ditches. The Mayor entertained 340 guests at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall. A baron of beef, weighing 172 lbs., surmounted by the Union flag, was brought in by four grenadiers, who bore it twice round the hall to the air of “The Roast Beef of Old England,” and then placed it upon the head table. Before the company separated it was resolved “that, as a testimony of respect for the Mayor and particularly for his conduct on this day, he be requested to have his portrait painted.” Numerous benevolent movements were instituted in celebration of the Jubilee. One was the relief of about thirty poor citizens, with large families, who were liable to have their persons and effects seized under an execution of the Court of Requests, for various small debts, ranging from 5s. to 40s., and the whole amounting to between £26 and £27. The day was celebrated at Yarmouth, Lynn, and other towns in the county.
October 28th 1809
“A lover of improvements requests us to hint that what has been improperly termed Cockey Lane (Norwich) for a long time, should, in consequence of the recent alterations, assume a new appellation, by terming it Market Street or some other appropriate name.” (The thoroughfare here referred to is now known as London Street.)
October 28th 1809
“The harriers belonging to Mr. T. Thompson, of Bergh Apton, had last week one of the severest and longest chases they have yet experienced. Mr. Dyke’s famous horse died in the field long before the death of the hare, and three other capital horses were very badly knocked up at the same time. Only a few of the most dashing sportsmen could keep within sight of the hounds.”
October 29th 1809
Died, at Earlham Hall, in his 60th year, Mr. John Gurney. His remains were interred on November 3rd at the Gildencroft burial ground, Norwich, in the presence of an immense concourse of citizens.
November 2nd 1809
After the interval of seven years, a Musical Festival was held at Norwich. The opening performance on Thursday, 2nd, consisted of the production of the “Messiah” at the church of St. Peter Mancroft; and in the evening a grand miscellaneous concert was given at the Theatre. On Friday, 3rd, “Sampson” was performed at the church, where also in the evening were rendered selections from various oratorios. The Festival concluded on Saturday evening, the 4th, with a miscellaneous concert at the Theatre. The principal vocal performers were Mr. and Mrs. Vaughan, Miss Booth, Mr. Gross, and Mr. Elliott. Professor Hague, of Cambridge, led the band, and Mr. Beckwith was conductor. The admission to the church was:—Middle aisle, 5s.; side aisles, 3s. 6d., but no money was taken at the door.
November 11th 1809
“The pleasant town of Diss has lately undergone so much improvement as is scarcely to be conceived, the streets having been entirely new paved, the roads much improved, and all obstructions by the projection of houses and shops removed. It will also be shortly lighted in such a manner as to render it as complete a town as any in the county.”
November 18th 1809
“Died, lately, at Warham, in his 73rd year, Capt. Isaac Eglis Warren. He was a volunteer in the siege of Quebec, and it was his solemn task to support on the rock and witness the last moments of the immortal Wolfe.”
November 20th 1809
Died, Sir Philip Stephens, Bart., of Horsford, in his 80th year. He was 52 years secretary to the Admiralty Office, and was afterwards one of the Lords of the Admiralty. He possessed large estates in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, and Middlesex.
November 25th 1809
“Some idea of the extent of Norfolk farms may be formed when it is known that one occupier in the western district last year expended more than £1,100 for only one sort of manure (brought many miles), notwithstanding the immense quantity made at home, and the great number of sheep annually folded on the grounds. On another farm, 25 acres are consumed in roads crossing the lands.”
December 2nd 1809
At the King’s Head Inn, Norwich, an estate near Harleston, consisting of 120 acres of moderate land, was sold by auction for 5,990 guineas. The purchaser had also to pay a considerable sum for timber growing upon the estate. A short time previously 22 acres of “unmixed and widely lying land” near Aylsham, and by no means of the best quality, fetched nearly 2,000 guineas; the timber was taken by valuation.
December 12th 1809
Died, in his 80th year, Mr. John Dalrymple, formerly a merchant in Norwich. “He was a native of Scotland, and descended of an honourable family, set immediately at Thornhill, in Dumfries. His manly body was inhabited by a noble soul, for he was a model of probity, constancy, fortitude, and disinterestedness. To his fellow-citizens he presented, during a long and difficult career, an example of zealous and unshaken adherence to the cause of liberality.” Mr. Dalrymple was a steward of the Scots Society, founded in Norwich by Dr. John Murray.
December 19th 1809
Mr. Saunder’s Equestrian Company opened their season’s engagement at the Pantheon, Ranelagh Gardens, Norwich, “with a stud of horses, all cream coloured, late the property of his Majesty.”
December 23rd 1809
Accounts were received at Yarmouth of the evacuation of the island of Walcheren by the British troops, 5,000 of whom died of fever after the capture of Flushing.
December 23rd 1809
Intelligence was received of the successful attack on the enemy’s forts at Cortelasso, between Venice and Trieste, by Capt. Hoste, of the Amphion frigate, who on August 24th captured ten Venetian gun boats and other prizes.
December 23rd 1809
News reached Norwich of the loss of the Glory, outward bound East Indiaman, Capt. Horatio Beevor, with all the officers, crew, and passengers.
December 30th 1809
“The quantity of turkies sent up to town from Norwich within the last ten days amounted to no less than 30 tons weight, which, averaging each bird at 12 lbs., the number would amount to 6,000.”