January 4th 1806
(Advt.) “To be sold, a Proprietor’s Share in the Norwich Theatre, with or without transferable ticket, which will admit the holder to the Yarmouth, Ipswich, and Colchester Theatres.”
January 4th 1806
“A man of the name of Baxter, formerly a respectable farmer at Buckenham, who took a rash resolution of refusing any kind of sustenance but water, which he continued to do for 38 days at the White Horse at Kenninghall, was induced to give up the same on Monday last by the offer of a noble lady to settle an allowance upon him. He some time ago persisted in the same mode of existence for 19 days.”
January 9th 1806
The church bells in city and county were tolled from twelve o’clock to two o’clock, on the occasion of the funeral of Lord Nelson at St. Paul’s Cathedral.
January 12th 1806
A subscription was made for the relief of the poor in Germany, who were suffering under the combined miseries of war and famine. About £300 was collected.
January 14th 1806
A meeting was held at the Guildhall for the purpose of opposing the Norwich Paving Bill, and a petition against the measure was signed by 1,600 owners and occupiers. On February 8th, the Mayor (Mr. Rigby) announced that “the respectability of the signatures to the petition in favour of the Bill, and the large sum raised to defray the expenses of the application to Parliament, could not but determine its supporters to persevere firmly in promoting it.” On February 24th, the aldermen, by ten votes to eight, ordered the city seal to be affixed to the Bill. Leave was given on March 7th for the insertion of fresh notices in the Bill, in order that it might be carried before Parliament that Session. The Bill was read a first time on April 21st, and was in due course transmitted to a committee of the House of Commons. The taking of evidence for and against the Bill concluded on May 21st, and on June 13th it passed both Houses of Parliament and received the Royal assent. The first election of Commissioners under the Norwich Paving Act took place in July, and the first meeting of Commissioners was held on July 15th, when the Deputy-Mayor (Mr. Rigby) was appointed chairman; Mr. Elisha De Hague, clerk; Messrs. Harvey and Hudson, treasurers; and Mr. John Roots, surveyor.
January 15th 1806
The vane and spindle of the “antient and beautiful spire” of St. Gregory’s Church, Norwich, were blown off during a severe gale.
February 3rd 1806
On opening a vault at the church of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, a live bat was found therein, of a greyish colour, where it had probably lain in a torpid state more than 32 years, the distance of time since the vault was before opened.”
February 8th 1806
(Advt.) “A main of cocks will be fought on Wednesday, February 19th, at the Red Lion Inn, Fakenham, between the gentlemen of Fakenham and the gentlemen of Foulsham. Eleven mains, two byes, and one turn out for five guineas the battle, and ten guineas the odd. Feeders, George Syder for Fakenham; David Lamb for Foulsham.”
February 9th 1806
James Coleman, bricklayer, of Swardeston, was tolling the bell at the parish church, “when the crown and cannons broke from the bell, and she came down through both floors, killing him on the spot.”
February 13th 1806
Married, at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, Henry Robert Bowles, acting-manager at the Theatre Royal, to Miss Aickin, of the same theatre.
February 16th 1806
Died, at St. George Colegate, Norwich, Thomas Troughton, aged 88. “He was a member of the corps of Artillery raised for the internal defence during the Revolution of 1745, and is believed to be the last survivor of that loyal corps.”
February 22nd 1806
“The interior of the Cathedral is about to undergo a thorough cleaning and repair. It is sixty years since a similar repair was done.” It was re-opened November 22nd.
February 24th 1806
At a quarterly assembly of the Corporation of Norwich an address was ordered to be presented to his Majesty, “expressive of their gratitude for the paternal affection he has shown to his subjects by waiving every consideration for the public good in the appointment of men of the first abilities in the country to the high offices of State.” A county meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, on March 28th, when a similar resolution was adopted, congratulating his Majesty on the appointment of an administration “in whom the nation feels a well-grounded confidence.” Like addresses were presented by the Corporations of Yarmouth and King’s Lynn.
February 27th 1806
Landed at Yarmouth, on their return from the Continent, the 4th, 23rd, and 28th Regiments of Foot, and 300 riflemen, comprising the brigade commanded by General Paget.
This month upwards of £800 was subscribed to defray the cost of the erection in Norwich of a monument to the memory of Lord Nelson. Mr. Browne and Mr. Percy submitted designs and models to the committee, but insufficient support was given to the movement.
March 1st 1806
“Lately, died, at the age of 113, Mrs. Roope, of Tharston, near Long Stratton. She lived to see her fifth generation.”
March 5th 1806
A troop of the King’s German Legion (heavy cavalry) arrived at Norwich from Yarmouth, and on the following day proceeded on their march to Scotland.
March 7th 1806
A public concert was given at Chapel Field House, Norwich. Vocalists: Mr. Vaughan and Mrs. Vaughan (formerly Miss Tennant); leader of the band, Mr. Parnell; at the pianoforte, Mr. Beckwith.
March 11th 1806
The Board of Agriculture voted their gold medal to Mr. Thomas William Coke, “for his extensive and successful mode of irrigation, by which he has converted a track of unprofitable boggy land in Norfolk into sound and excellent water meadows.”
March 11th 1806
The Marquis Townshend’s 85th birthday was celebrated by a dinner at the Crown Inn, and by a ball and supper at the Red Lion Inn, Fakenham.
March 15th 1806
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford, before Mr. Justice Grose, was tried the case, the King _v._ Anthony. This was an information filed against the defendant by the Attorney-General for assaulting John Stevenson, an officer of Excise, while in the execution of his duty. Stevenson called at the White Horse Inn, Edgefield, on December 2nd, 1805, and found smuggled liquor in panniers belonging to the defendant, whose ostensible trade was that of a vendor of oysters. The officer seized the panniers, but defendant, in regaining them, committed an assault. He was found guilty, and the case was remitted to the King’s Bench for judgment. (No further record appears.)
March 15th 1806
(Advt.) “A main of cocks will be fought at the Maid’s Head Inn, Norwich, on Tuesday, the 25th inst., and two following days between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Yarmouth. To show 31 mains, and ten bye-cocks, to fight for ten guineas a battle, and 50 guineas the odd battle. There will be five pits. Feeders, David Lamb for Norwich; Thomas Cox for Yarmouth.”
March 16th 1806
Died, at his house in Surrey Street, Norwich, John Manning, M.D., upwards of 30 years physician at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
March 17th 1806
Died, at Snettisham Lodge, Mr. Thomas Daniell, Attorney-General of Dominica.
March 24th 1806
Intelligence was received at Norwich of Vice-Admiral Duckworth’s victory over the French squadron in St. Domingo Bay. Col. Patteson’s Volunteers fired a _feu de joie_ in the Market Place, and the bells of St. Peter Mancroft rang until midnight.
March 27th 1806
Mr. Heath caught in Panxworth Broad a pike weighing 31 lbs., and measuring 45 inches in length, and 25 inches in girth.
March 28th 1806
Died, at Bodney Hall, aged 49, Madame Elizabeth de Mirepoix. “Descended from one of the most distinguished families in France, she forsook the allurements of the Court for the retirement and austerity of monastic life. From the storms of the French Revolution the Benedictine Monastery (of which she had been a member 31 years and superior 22 years) sought shelter in England, and found an asylum in this county, where for the last 15 years the nuns have been occupied in the education of Catholic young ladies.”
April 5th 1806
“The King has granted the dignity of Earl to the Right Hon. Horatio Baron Walpole, to be known as the Earl of Orford.” Mr. Thomas Wm. Coke was offered, but declined a peerage.
April 12th 1806
At a meeting of farmers and others at Thetford, it was decided to hold a sheep and lamb fair in that town annually on September 1st.
April 19th 1806
The Boreas frigate, 28 guns, was launched from the dockyard of Messrs. Stone and Custance, at Yarmouth. On the same day the Ariel sloop, of 18 guns, was launched from Mr. N. Palmer’s yard.
April 27th 1806
General Milner inspected the Norwich Rifle Corps this day (Sunday); the Norwich Volunteer Regiment on the 28th; and Col. Patteson’s Battalion on the 29th.
May 6th 1806
Died, in his 82nd year, the Rev. George Thomas, vicar of East Dereham and brother of Dr. Thomas, Bishop of Rochester. He was succeeded by the Rev. Charles Hyde Wollaston.
May 14th 1806
The annual meeting of the Dissenters Benevolent Society, presided over by Mr. Geo. Watson, was held at the Angel Inn, Norwich.
May 16th 1806
A hundred yards foot race took place on Lord’s Cricket Ground between Lord E. Somerset and the Hon. Edward Harbord. “Lord Edward had the start of Mr. Harbord, and maintained the lead about 60 yards, when Mr. Harbord gained upon and crossed him. There was a foul, and Lord Edward fell. Lord Frederick Beauclerk, who was umpire, gave his decision as follows:—That on account of the accident the race was deemed void, but Mr. Harbord is allowed the power of calling upon Lord Edward to run the race over again any time within the next six months upon giving his lordship six weeks’ notice.”
May 17th 1806
The sword of the Spanish Admiral, Don Xavier Francisco Winthuysen, who died of his wounds at the battle off Cape St. Vincent, February 14th, 1797, presented to the city of Norwich by Lord Nelson, was placed in the mural monument at the Guildhall.
May 29th 1806
General Milner, in a letter addressed to the commanding officers of Volunteers in Norwich and Norfolk, expressed “the high sense he entertained of the merit of the Volunteer corps in coming forward in such force, when the country, and this district in particular, was threatened with invasion by a powerful enemy.”
May 30th 1806
Died, at Calabar, East Indies, in his 32nd year, Capt. Smyth, 56th Regiment, son of Mr. James Smyth, attorney-at-law, of Norwich. He served in all the campaigns in Flanders and Holland under General Coote, in Ireland at the battle of Vinegar Hill, at Gibraltar during the mutiny, and under Sir Ralph Abercromby in Egypt.
June 9th 1806
Vice-Admiral Russell, accompanied by several officers of the North Sea Fleet, stationed at Yarmouth, visited Norwich.
June 10th 1806
A rowing match took place between the Lion and the Dove. The course, five miles, was between Carrow and Whitlingham, and the Lion won by 100 yards in 34 minutes.
June 18th 1806
Wrestling matches were contested on Panxworth Green in the presence of a large number of spectators. “Green, of Beighton, was champion of the green, and came off victorious from all his engagements.” He was eighteen years old.
June 19th 1806
Norwich Guild day. In consequence of the Cathedral undergoing reparation, the Mayor and Corporation attended service at the church of St. Peter Mancroft. The Mayor, Mr. Thomas Allday Kerrison, entertained 500 guests at dinner at St. Andrew’s Hall; the ball was held at Chapel Field House.
June 23rd 1806
At Holkham Sheep Shearing, Mr. John Herring, jun., of Norwich, exhibited three shawls, manufactured by Messrs. John Herring and Sons entirely from the fleece of Mr. Coke’s Southdowns.
June 24th 1806
Lord Waldegrave, in command of a detachment of the 7th Light Dragoons, stationed at Norwich, commenced a series of three cricket matches, “with a select number of the men under his command against a party of gentlemen of this city and neighbourhood.” The soldiers won two out of the three games. In the following month Lord Waldegrave came of age, and succeeded to a property amounting to £30,000 a year.
June 28th 1806
Mr. Incledon appeared at Norwich Theatre in his entertainment, consisting of songs and recitations, “Hospitality, or the Harvest Home.” He reappeared on the 30th.
July 5th 1806
Died, at his house in George Street, Portman Square, London, Arthur Richard Dillon, Archbishop and Duke of Narbonne, Primate of the Gauls, President of the States of Languedoc, and Commander of the Order of the Holy Ghost. “This venerable prelate was uncle to Lady Jerningham, of Costessey.”
July 5th 1806
The Primary Visitation of the Bishop of Norwich (which commenced at Thetford on May 22nd) terminated at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. “Six hundred and ninety-nine young persons from the adjacent parishes, and on the following day nearly 600 persons from the several parishes and hamlets of the city were confirmed. The total number of persons who had been confirmed throughout the diocese in the course of this visitation is computed at nearly 17,000.”
July 10th 1806
This day “the thermometer stood at 82, exposed to the north.” On the 19th of the previous month the heat was so great that many post horses died.
July 12th 1806
The Royal assent was given to an Act to enable his Majesty “to grant the Castle of Norwich, with the county gaol, Castle Hill, and certain land adjacent thereto, in Norfolk, and for vesting the same in the justices of the peace for the said county, with the use thereof.”
July 13th 1806
A remarkable suicide took place at Yarmouth. “Two servant women tied themselves together with ribbon, walked into the sea, and were drowned.” They were the wives of privates in the Shropshire Militia. “Their husbands had come to see them the previous day, and, refusing to permit them to return with them, they committed the rash act.”
July 14th 1806
A large concourse assembled to witness a camping match on Crostwick Common between the Hundreds of Taverham and of Blofield. Conditions:—“Play 40 minutes; candidates to be young men under 25 and unmarried. Prize, a hat of the value of 10s. 6d. for each of the successful combatants.” The affair ended in a walk over, owing to the absence of the Blofield men. “It is now 20 years since a regular camp was played at Crostwick, and that one was patronised by one of his Majesty’s present ministers, who is not more celebrated for his political talents, and the accomplishments of a liberal and enlightened mind, than for his attachment to the ancient sports and amusements of his country.” (Reference is here made to William Windham.)
July 17th 1806
The annual water frolic and aquatic procession took place at Norwich, “led by Admiral Clarke in full uniform in the Apollo.”
July 21st 1806
The Corporation of Norwich again granted the use of St. Andrew’s Hall to the corn merchants, as a place of exchange, at the annual rent of 50 guineas. “A letter from Mr. Opie was read, in which that celebrated artist stated that, if due care was taken to prevent persons from touching the paintings in the hall, they would sustain no injury if the hall was opened ten times a week.”
July 26th 1806
Arrived, at Yarmouth, the Blanche frigate, Capt. Lavie, with La Guerriere, French frigate of 50 guns, Capt. Hubert, captured on the 18th, after a desperate action of 45 minutes. La Guerriere had taken eight Greenlandmen and one Yarmouth vessel, all of which she had destroyed.
July 28th 1806
The Volunteer corps agreed to continue their services under new regulations and at reduced pay. The regulations were made in accordance with a new Act of Parliament, which provided for the military training of the population by the calling out of 200,000 men in each year.
July 31st 1806
The Duke’s Palace estate in Norwich, belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, was sold in lots for £5,055, exclusive of the Public Library and house adjoining.
August 9th 1806
(Advt.) “To be seen alive (from Mr. Kendrick’s menagerie, 42, Piccadilly), in a commodious room at Mr. Peck’s, the Church Stile, in the Market Place, Norwich, a most surprising crocodile from the Nile ever seen in this kingdom. He is so remarkably tame that any lady or gentleman may touch him with safety.”
August 13th 1806
The Norwich Society of Artists opened an exhibition in their room in Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court. The exhibitors included A. Brown, W. Browne, and Stone, architectural subjects; Crome, Dixon, Gordon, C. Hodgson, Ladbrooke, Leeds, and Thirtle, landscapes; Cooper, horses and cattle; Mrs. Coppin, Freeman, and Thirtle, portraits; and Sillett, flowers and still life. “The exhibition is such as to authorise our predicting that the seeds of genius, which have evidently taken deep root in some of the artists, will secure them most respectable places in the roll of fame.”
August 14th 1806
The anniversary sermon for the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital was preached by the Bishop of Norwich at St. Peter Mancroft. The sum collected was £185 16s. 6d., and the proceeds of the dinner at the Swan Inn amounted to £41 9s. 6d.
August 28th 1806
The Comus frigate, 22 guns, was launched from the dockyard of Messrs. Custance and Co., at Yarmouth.
August 30th 1806
The Norwich Paving Commissioners advertised that they were “ready to contract with any person or persons for watch boxes, to be made of good and well-seasoned yellow deal, and painted on the outsides of a lead colour three times in oil. Also to receive proposals for and contract with any person or persons for 36 strong and well-made watchmen’s coats of a dark drab coloured cloth, large double collar, with belt of the same sewed to the coat, and white and strong metal buttons.”
September 11th 1806
Died, at the age of 100 years, Mrs. Crisp, of Loddon.
September 12th 1806
Died, at Brighton, aged 76, the Right Hon. Edward Lord Thurlow, Lord Chancellor 1778 to 1793, except for a few months during the Coalition Administration in 1783, when the seals were put in Commission. He was the son of the Rev. Mr. Thurlow, rector of Ashfield, Suffolk, and was born at Braconash, Norfolk, December 9th, 1730. He was succeeded in his title and estates by his nephew, only son of the Bishop of Durham.
September 12th 1806
Died, at Breccles, near Watton, aged 107 years and 8 months, John Stubings, husbandman. “He never occupied more than five acres of land nor received any parochial relief.”
September 13th 1806
(Advt.) “Docking Snettisham, Lynn, and Norwich Telegraph, from Docking to Lynn and Lynn to Norwich. Leaves Docking at seven o’clock on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, through Snettisham and Castle Rising, to Star Inn, Lynn. Leaves Lynn at eleven o’clock, to the Woolpack, St. Giles, Norwich, through Gayton, Litcham, Mileham, Brisley, Elmham, Bawdeswell, Lenwade Bridge, Attlebridge, and Drayton, and returns the following morning at seven o’clock.”
September 25th 1806
A shark, measuring nine feet in length and weighing three cwts., was caught off Yarmouth.
Capt. Sir Edward Berry, R.N., was this month created a baronet, in consideration of his eminent services to the country.
October 3rd 1806
The bells of several parish churches in Norwich were tolled at noon, the hour appointed for the interment, in Westminster Abbey, of the remains of the Right Hon. Charles James Fox, who died September 13th.
October 4th 1806
(Advt.) “The Norwich and Yarmouth Machine runs every day from the Black Horse, Tombland, and White Hart, near the Wrestlers, Yarmouth.”
October 15th 1806
Died suddenly, aged 58, Henry Bowles, the elder, formerly of the Theatre Royal, Norwich.
October 21st 1806
Blickling races commenced, and afforded “the greatest sport ever known at this place.” The principal event, a sweepstake for 50 guineas for horses bred in Norfolk, was won by Col. Harbord’s bay filly Czarina.
October 21st 1806
Launched from the dockyard of Mr. J. S. Douglas, Yarmouth, the Lord Nelson packet, 91 tons, intended for the Harwich station.
October 29th 1806
A trotting match for 50 guineas took place on the turnpike road from Norwich to Watton, between Mr. King’s chestnut hone Doubtful and Mr. Jeary’s brown mare Velocity. “The horse won by about two lengths. Owing to a dispute respecting the horse galloping within the last hundred yards the match still remains undetermined. Fifteen and a half miles were covered in one hour.”
November 3rd 1806
A Parliamentary election took place at Norwich, resulting in the return of Mr. John Patteson, 1,733 votes, and Mr. Robert Fellowes, 1,370 votes. Mr. Wm. Smith, who polled 1,333 votes, was the unsuccessful candidate. On the 10th “the Norwich Battalion of Volunteers received Col. Patteson, M.P., with a general salute, and fired three vollies and gave three cheers in token of their satisfaction at his being elected one of the representatives of the city.”
November 3rd 1806
King’s Lynn election. Lord Walpole and Sir M. B. ffolkes returned unopposed.
November 4th 1806
Thetford election. Lord William Fitzroy, 28 votes; Mr. James Mingay, 17 votes. Mr. Thomas Creevey, the unsuccessful candidate, polled 14 votes.
November 4th 1806
Yarmouth election. The Hon. Edward Harbord and Mr. S. Lushington returned unopposed. A petition was lodged against the return, but the committee of the House of Commons declared it to be frivolous and vexatious, and the members retained their seats.
November 6th 1806
Miss Elizabeth Bidwell, niece of Mr. Bidwell, of Thetford, arrived at Harwich from Berlin. “She was tutoress to the King of Prussia’s children, and had a narrow escape of falling into the hands of the French, and when she landed was destitute of money and change of raiment.” Miss Bidwell afterwards had an audience of the Queen at Windsor, to whom she related the details of her escape.
November 12th 1806
The Sapphire sloop of war, 18 guns, launched from Messrs. Brindley’s yard at King’s Lynn.
November 13th 1806
County election. The poll was open for six days. Mr. T. W. Coke, 4,118 votes; the Right Hon. William Windham, 3,722 votes. The unsuccessful candidate, the Hon. John Wodehouse, received 3,365 votes. “On the chairing day, as well as every day during the election, there were excellent dinners provided at the White Swan and Angel, where Mr. Coke and Mr. Windham met large parties of their friends, whose convivial enjoyments were much heightened by the eloquent orations of Mr. Plumptre and the exertions of Mr. Mingay, whose good-humoured sallies and witticisms never failed to set the tables in a roar.” A petition against the return of the members was presented by Mr. T. T. Berney and others, and on February 12th, 1807, the committee of the House of Commons declared the election void. On February 26th, Mr. Coke was returned unopposed for Derby, in place of his brother, Mr. E. Coke, who had accepted the Chiltern Hundreds. On March 5th, Mr. E. Coke and Sir Jacob Astley, Bart., were returned unopposed for Norfolk, and Mr. Windham took his seat, without opposition, as member for New Romney.
November 24th 1806
Died, in St. Lawrence’, Norwich, Mrs. Galey, aged 101.
November 30th 1806
At the meeting of the Society of Universal Good Will, at Norwich, it was reported that 187 persons, besides weekly pensioners, had been relieved during the year, making in all 2,218 since the establishment of the institution.
The following Acts were passed this y
An Act to enable his Majesty to grant an annuity to Lady Viscountess Nelson, in consideration of the eminent services performed by the late Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson to his Majesty and the pu
An Act for settling and securing a certain annuity on Earl Nelson and the heirs male of his body and such persons to whom the title of Earl Nelson may descend, and for granting the sum of £100,000 to purchase an estate to accompany the said title; and for granting £10,000 to each of the sisters of the late Lord Nelson (Mrs. Matchem and Mrs. Bolton), in consideration of the eminent and signal services performed by the said Lord Nelson to his Majesty and the pu
An Act for amending, altering, and enlarging the powers of an Act, passed in the 42nd year of his Majesty, for paving and otherwise improving the borough of King’s
An Act for repairing the parish Church of Great Yarmouth and rebuilding the tower thereof.
December 4th 1806
Mr. J. W. Robberds was elected an alderman for the Ward beyond the Water, Norwich, in place of Mr. J. G. Baseley, who died December 1st.
December 6th 1806
Died, in the 63rd year of his age, Thomas Osborn, bell founder, Downham Market.
December 13th 1806
“Died, lately, in the parish of St. Mary, Norwich, Sarah Pickwood, aged 49 years. This was one of the most enormous cases of dropsy on record. In the course of about 50 months she was tapped 38 times, and discharged 350 gallons of the fluid, weighing 4,656 lbs. troy. The greatest quantity discharged at one operation measured 11½ gallons, and weighed 153½ lbs.”
December 18th 1806
In the course of alterations at Ketteringham Hall, a fire occurred, which destroyed the centre of the building, with all the new work.
December 20th 1806
“Whenever a fire occurs in the neighbourhood the large travelling engine, belonging to the Norwich Fire Office, may be obtained by sending a man and two horses and applying to the sexton of St. Peter Mancroft Church, _in which place the engine is deposited_.”