January 10th 1805
The Supervisor and officers of Excise belonging to the East Dereham district seized at Melton a horse and cart, with 80 gallons of Geneva and four gallons of brandy.
January 11th 1805
A murderous poaching affray occurred in Thorpe Wood, near Aylsham, when several game watchers, in the service of Lord Suffield, were severely wounded. At the Norfolk Assizes at Thetford, in March, six of the poachers, indicted under the Black Act, were found guilty and sentenced to death. Lord Suffield and the Hon. Edward Harbord pleaded that their lives might be spared, and the sentence was ultimately commuted to transportation. When the gang were being conveyed by the Expedition night mail coach from Norwich, on their way to Portsmouth, the convicts got free from the chain and made a desperate attempt to escape, but were too heavily ironed. They attacked the coachman, and one of the guards presented a pistol, which missed fire; Johnson, the gaoler, rushed amongst them with a cutlass, and subdued them. One prisoner escaped, and the others were lodged in the Surrey New Gaol on the following morning.
January 17th 1805
At a public meeting held at the Guildhall, Norwich, it was resolved to establish a Hospital and School for the Indigent Blind in Norfolk and Norwich; towards the foundation of which Mr. Thomas Tawell contributed a house and 3½ acres of land in Magdalen Street, valued at £1,050. Mr. Tawell, who was himself blind, made an eloquent and successful appeal, and the institution was opened on October 14th.
January 28th 1805
The pantomime, “Don Juan,” was produced at Norwich Theatre “in a style which, for the display of beautiful scenery and of appropriate decorations and costumes, is very rarely to be witnessed on provincial boards.”
January 29th 1805
Died, aged 57, Mr. Thomas Wodehouse, of Sennowe Lodge. He was one of the gentlemen of his Majesty’s Privy Chamber, in which office he was succeeded by Mr. J. W. Thomlinson, of Cley.
February 2nd 1805
Bishop Manners Sutton, of Norwich, was nominated by the King and chosen, February 12th, Archbishop of Canterbury. On the 13th, his Grace arrived at the Palace, Norwich, from London; and on the 15th, the Mayor and Court of Aldermen proceeded in state from the Guildhall to the Palace, where the Recorder (Mr. Harvey) read an address of congratulation to the Archbishop. The clergy of Norwich, on the 16th, waited on his Grace, when the Rev. Prebendary Pretyman addressed the Archbishop in an appropriate speech. On the 17th, his Grace preached his farewell sermon at the Cathedral, and on the 18th departed for Lambeth.
February 9th 1805
A woman, who had eloped from her home in Kent with a horse dealer, was found by her husband in a house in St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. She refused to return to him. The dealer offered to buy the woman for £5, and her husband, agreeing, placed a halter round her neck, and surrendered all right and title to her for the sum named.
February 19th 1805
Died, at his house, the Town Close, Norwich, Mr. Jeremiah Ives, senior alderman of Norwich. He was 78 years of age, and had served the office of Mayor in 1769-1795.
February 20th 1805
A solemn fast was observed at Norwich.
February 21st 1805
Mr. Robert Herring, of Bracondale, elected an alderman, in place of Mr. Jeremiah Ives, deceased.
February 23rd 1805
Experiments were made at Norwich to test the practicability of firing a field-piece from a common waggon without injury to the vehicle. The idea, which originated with Major-General Money, “succeeded perfectly, and the horses stood steady during the discharge of the field-piece.”
February 24th 1805
The clergy of Norwich, having intimated that it was their intention to apply to Parliament for an increase of their incomes by assessment, considerable feeling was manifested in opposition. The Corporation at a quarterly assembly resolved to oppose the application. Vestry meetings were held throughout the city, and the inhabitants unanimously expressed an opinion adverse to the clergy’s proposal.
February 24th 1805
The freedom of the city was conferred on Mr. John Frere, the former, and Mr. Robert Fellowes and Mr. William Smith, the then Parliamentary representatives of Norwich.
February 24th 1805
A lease of the Dutch Church was granted to the Corporation for 200 years, for the use of the poor in the workhouse; the Dutch congregation reserving the right to bury their dead in the church, and to hold Divine service therein every forenoon of the first Sunday in the month.
March 4th 1805
Died, aged 60, Elizabeth Clayton, of Wells-next-the-Sea. “This woman, from an early propensity for masculine employments, had worked as a ship’s carpenter at the dockyard of the above port upwards of 40 years, and always in man’s apparel. She used to drink, chew tobacco, and keep company only with workmen, yet would never enter into the matrimonial state. She was a strong robust woman, and never permitted anyone to insult her with impunity.”
March 18th 1805
The Rev. Henry Bathurst, D.D., “elected Bishop of this Diocese by the Dean and Chapter.” His lordship was installed on May 10th.
March 23rd 1805
At a meeting at the Guildhall, Norwich, resolutions were agreed to “condemning the proposed alterations of the course of the mail coach from London to Norwich by way of Bury, from the consequent later delivery of the letters to the post-office here, and from the earlier despatch from thence, to the great inconvenience of the mercantile and trading houses of the city.” Representations to this effect were made to the Postmaster-General, but without result. The coach started from the King’s Head, Norwich, at four o’clock, and passed through Thetford, Bury, and Newmarket. It ran every day and stopped at the Golden Cross, Charing Cross, London. Another coach, by Ipswich and Colchester, set up at the Swan with two Necks, Lad Lane.
March 28th 1805
Miss Aickin, “an actress of superior talents and personal attractions,” made her first appearance at Norwich Theatre in the character of Widow Cheerly in the comedy of “The Soldier’s Daughter,” and as Aura in the farce of “The Farm House.” She played the part of Hamlet on May 4th.
March 30th 1805
“The Rev. William L. Gebbart has been elected minister of the Dutch congregation, and also appointed minister of the French church in Norwich.”
March 30th 1805
“It is in contemplation to establish telegraphic communication between Norwich and Yarmouth for mercantile purposes.” In October the Norwich Corporation agreed to pay £10 annually for its support.
March 30th 1805
“An earthen pot, containing 500 pieces of antient English silver coin, was ploughed up in a field near Aylsham. The pieces consisted chiefly of groats of Henry VII. and pennies of the Edwards. There were two gold angels of Henry VI.”
April 6th 1805
“A person in the country has lately been convicted, before Mr. Crowe, Mr. Astley and Mr. Norris, in the legal penalty for working and digging in his garden and openly profaning the Sabbath. It is to be hoped that his example will operate towards the discontinuance of the practice, which, perhaps, is nowhere so prevalent as in this county.”
April 6th 1805
Leeds Mays, for horse stealing, was executed on the “new drop” on the Castle Hill, Norwich.
April 6th 1805
Charles Pegg was publicly whipped in Norwich Market Place, for purchasing soldiers’ necessaries.
April 13th 1805
(Advt.) “A main of cocks will be fought on Easter Tuesday and Wednesday, 21 in the main for ten guineas the battle, and 30 guineas the odd; and likewise two turn outs for £20 the battle, and also two byes. April 16th and 17th, at Hindringham Duke of York. The first pair of cocks to be pitted at eleven o’clock in the forenoon. Accommodation for man and horse. Feeders, Fox for Walsingham; Whisker for Wighton.”
April 22nd 1805
At Swaffham, a man, named Angel, undertook for a trifling wager to run 20 miles in three hours. He ran it with ease in 2 hours 50 minutes.
April 27th 1805
Two gun brigs, of 14 guns each, were launched from Mr. John Preston’s dockyard at Yarmouth.
April 28th 1805
The oil mill at Hellesdon, belonging to Mr. Wm. Parkinson, was destroyed by fire. The loss amounted to between £2,000 and £3,000.
The several battalions of Volunteer Infantry in the county performed a month’s garrison duty in Yarmouth. The Norwich Volunteers were on duty in the city.
May 2nd 1805
A public meeting was held at St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich, when resolutions, expressive of obligations to Earl St. Vincent, for promoting an enquiry into naval abuses, with thanks to Mr. Whitbread for introducing the tenth report of the Commissioners of Naval Enquiry to the notice of the House of Commons; and thanks to Mr. Robert Fellowes, M.P., and Mr. W. Smith, M.P., for supporting Mr. Whitbread’s motion, were unanimously agreed to.
May 3rd 1805
The Common Council of Norwich proposed a vote of thanks to Earl St. Vincent, to the Commissioners of Naval Enquiry, to Mr. Whitbread, and to the members of Parliament for the city. This was negatived by the aldermen by 12 votes to 4.
May 6th 1805
An impressment took place at Yarmouth. “Ships’ parties stopped every person they met without discrimination or respect for appearances. No less than 300 persons were impressed. Some were confined in the rendezvous of the town gang, others were marched to the barracks or conveyed to the boats lying in readiness at the jetty, and the whole body were carried during the night on to the Monmouth. Next morning a regulation took place, and 50 only were detained.”
May 14th 1805
At a county meeting, held at the Norwich Shirehall, several resolutions, thanking Earl St. Vincent and the Commissioners of Naval Enquiry, and Mr. Whitbread, Sir J. H. Astley, and Mr. T. W. Coke for their patriotic and independent conduct in Parliament, were unanimously agreed to.
May 18th 1805
An officer of the Shropshire Militia decided in his favour a wager of ten guineas, “to pick up 100 stones laid in Chapel Field, Norwich, at a distance of a yard from each other, and to deposit them in two baskets placed at the extremities of the line, in the space of one hour.” Another person, a few weeks afterwards, performed the same feat in 44 minutes.
May 25th 1805
Married, by special licence by the Bishop of Norwich, at his lordship’s house in Manchester-square, London, Mr. Benjamin Bathurst, secretary of legation to the Court of Stockholm, to Miss Call, daughter of Sir John Call, Bart. (In November, 1809, when travelling to England with important despatches as envoy to the Court of Vienna, Bathurst mysteriously disappeared in the town of Perleberg, and was never more seen or heard of.)
May 25th 1805
“A street, 26 feet wide, is about to be opened, forming an entrance, which has long been most desirable, from Chapel Field directly into Bethel Street, Norwich.”
June 1st 1805
Lord Frederick Beauclerk and the Hon. Edward Harbord ran a hundred yards race on Lord’s Cricket Ground, London. Mr. Harbord was beaten by two yards. He afterwards ran the same distance against Mr. Lambert, and won easily.
June 4th 1805
The King’s birthday was celebrated in Norwich by the garrison and Volunteers, who paraded to the number of 1,800 and fired a _feu de joie_ on the Castle Meadow. The weather was very cold, and at nine o’clock at night the thermometer registered 36 degrees, only four degrees above freezing point.
June 8th 1805
William Carter, a private in the City of Norwich Battalion of Infantry Volunteers, convicted, before a regimental court martial, of absenting himself from parade on four successive days, was publicly disgraced and dismissed the battalion.
June 22nd 1805
“Gabriel Swallow, aged 13, son of a gamekeeper to the Hon. Col. Harbord at Hunworth, shot 21 bullets at a target 80 yards distant for a bet of two guineas. With the exception of three shots, they were all placed within 5½ inches of the centre; three bullets were one inch from the centre; five ditto, two inches; six ditto, three inches; one ditto, four inches; two ditto, five inches; one ditto, 5½ inches.”
June 24th 1805
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. Mr. Ball’s threshing machine was shown at work. An ingenious model of a dibbling machine, made by a young man in the neighbourhood; a mowing machine, invented by Mr. Burrell, of Thetford; a scuffler, by Mr. Clarke; the model of a threshing machine, by Mr. Cook, of Aylsham; and an improved drill, by Messrs. Wilson and Standish, of Lynn, were also exhibited. The sweepstake, to estimate the weight of Mr. Coke’s three-shear Leicester wether, was won by Lord Winchilsea, who guessed within half a pound of the actual weight.
July 6th 1805
Mr. Edward Rigby, Mayor of Norwich, in a letter to the NORFOLK CHRONICLE, advocated vaccine inoculation. He wrote: “I inoculated my twin children when they were eight months old with smallpox ichor, and they resisted the infection. Since then I have exposed them to patients under smallpox and at that period of the disease when most likely to communicate infection, which, as before, they were insusceptible to.”
July 9th 1805
Mdlle. Eloise Adelaide de Bourbon, daughter of the Prince of Condé, took the veil at Bodney Hall, the retreat of the nuns of Montargis.
July 9th 1805
A “bugle man” of the Norwich Rifle Corps, named Hardingham, was killed by the accidental discharge of a rifle at target practice. His remains were interred, with military honours, in St. Giles’ churchyard on the 11th.
July 16th 1805
At a meeting held at the Guildhall, presided over by the Mayor of Norwich, resolutions were adopted for taking the best means of stopping the progress of the contagion of smallpox, and of extending vaccine inoculation. A committee afterwards presented a memorial in favour of vaccination. On September 14th it was announced that nearly 400 of the poor had been vaccinated.
July 24th 1805
A gift of silver plate was presented to Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., at Hethel, by the Chairman and Committees of Chief Constables in Humbleyard and adjacent Hundreds, as “a testimonial of esteem and respect and approbation of the able and upright manner in which he had discharged the duties of a magistrate for more than half a century.”
July 27th 1805
“At Diss, a number of labourers in husbandry refused to work for the customary wages, and being out of employment applied to the magistrates, who advised the parish officers to put them to work, which they accordingly did. Their business was to carry bricks in a hod from Palgrave to Diss, a distance of two miles. This medicine had the desired effect, for after two days they returned to their former employment.”
August 3rd 1805
(Advt.) “A main of cocks will be fought at the Sun Inn, Wells, on Tuesday, August 13th, between the gentlemen of Foulsham and the gentlemen of Wells, five guineas the battle and twenty guineas the odd. There will be two pits. Feeders, Whisker for Foulsham; Souther for Wells.”
August 6th 1805
The Norwich Society of Artists opened an exhibition of paintings and drawings in their room in Sir Benjamin Wrenche’s Court.
August 8th 1805
In consequence of official intelligence of preparations along the enemy’s coast, Major-General Money addressed a letter to the commandants of Yeomanry and Volunteer Cavalry in Norfolk and Suffolk, requesting them to have their corps ready for inspection, and in marching order. A similar letter was sent by Major-General Milner to the commandants of Norfolk Volunteer Infantry, adding that the requisite number of waggons was ordered for their conveyance in case of necessity.
August 12th 1805
A cricket match was played at Reepham between the gentlemen of Foulsham and the gentlemen of Reepham, Hackford, Whitwell, and Corpusty “for a considerable sum.” It was won by the former, “with eight notches to spare.” The return match, on October 21st, was also won by Foulsham.
August 26th 1805
A cricket match was played in Blickling Park between elevens of the Blickling and Norwich clubs, and was won by the former. It was followed by a single wicket match between the same teams, when Blickling again won, with nine wickets to go down.
During this month Mr. James Neild, of Chelsea, a well-known philanthropist, visited the county gaol, the city gaol and bridewell, the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, and the Duke’s Palace Workhouse. In his report on the Hospital he wrote: “It does honour to the county, and is one of the best I have seen.”
September 3rd 1805
The committee of the Court of Guardians, appointed to examine the poor-rates of the city and hamlets of Norwich, and to obtain a more equal assessment, reported that an increase of £16,000 stock and £1,800 rent, calculating on the half-rental only, might be made; and recommended a general survey and new valuation to be taken, in consequence of the great alteration which had taken place in property, and in the value of land in particular since 1786, when the last survey was made.
September 7th 1805
A remarkable whirlwind occurred at Rockland St. Mary. A rowing boat, lying on the bank of the broad, was lifted into the air and blown a distance of 70 yards; and another large boat was raised out of the water and hurled a considerable distance. A young man was lifted three or four yards in the air and blown several yards. Much damage was done to the roofs of cottages and to wheat sheafs in the fields.
September 13th 1805
Mr. Incledon, the famous vocalist, appeared at Norwich Theatre in his entertainment, “The Wandering Melodist.”
September 21st 1805
At a meeting of the Norwich Corporation the committee appointed to take into consideration the propriety of applying to Parliament for an Act for the better lighting, watching, and paving of the city, reported in favour of the proposal, and a gentleman present offered to subscribe £500 towards the undertaking. On October 26th, it was reported that the aldermen had adopted the recommendation, but the Commons threw it out by 20 votes against 16. At a meeting held on October 30th, at which the Bishop, the Mayor, and many of the principal owners and occupiers of estates were present, the petition was unanimously agreed to and signed.
September 28th 1805
“A finely preserved Saxon font has been discovered in the church of Great Hautbois, near Coltishall, by Mr. J. A. Repton. Many curious remains of antient sculpture are obscured by repeated coats of dirt and whitewash in our churches.”
September 28th 1805
“Died, lately, Sir James Tylney Longe, Bart., in the eleventh year of his age. By his death the Tylney property, amounting to £25,000 per annum and nearly £300,000 in the Funds, devolves on the distant branches of the Longe family.”
Under the Additional Force Act, Norfolk raised this month 248 men to supply vacancies occasioned by those who had enlisted out of the Militia into the regular Army.
October 7th 1805
A mysterious outrage was committed at Fakenham. A man entered the bed-room of two maiden ladies, named Bale, brutally thrashed one, and attempted to cut the throat of the other, after which he decamped. The Home Office offered his Majesty’s pardon to any accomplice who gave evidence that would lead to a conviction, and Mr. Edward Bale, of Toftrees, offered a reward of £100 for the discovery of the guilty person. No clue was forthcoming.
October 12th 1805
“A few days since the Russian Countess Mengdon arrived at her newly-purchased seat, called New Place, Thetford, late the residence of Mr. James Mingay.”
October 18th 1805
One of a pair of eagles was shot at Cantley. The extended wings measured 7 feet 4½ inches, and the bird was 2½ feet in height.
October 22nd 1805
A two days’ race meeting commenced in Blickling Park. A ball and supper were given by Lord Suffield.
October 22nd 1805
The Norwich Battalion of Volunteers, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Patteson, and the City of Norwich Battalion of Volunteer Infantry (Lieut.-Col. Harvey) were inspected by Major-General Milner. “A portion of the latter corps proceeded from the Castle ditches to Mile End in waggons, fitted up with seats, and provided throughout the county pursuant to general orders.”
November 2nd 1805
“The Sheriff of Norwich, Mr. J. H. Yallop, is the fortunate holder of a sixteenth share of the ticket drawn for a prize of £3,000. In the lottery of 1803, Mr. Yallop also shared a prize of £2,000, and in 1804, part of the £20,000 prize.”
November 7th 1805
Intelligence was received of the battle of Trafalgar, which was fought on October 21st, and of the death of Nelson. “The bells were rung and fired throughout the day, but all the joy that would have arisen from the victory was wholly absorbed in sorrow and regret for the death of the Hero of the Nile and Trafalgar.” Great rejoicings afterwards took place, and addresses of congratulation to his Majesty were unanimously voted by the Corporations of Norwich, Yarmouth, Lynn, &c.
November 30th 1805
A county meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, when an address to his Majesty on the victory of Trafalgar was agreed to. It was also resolved to open a subscription for erecting a memorial to perpetuate the memory of Lord Nelson’s victories.
Among the Acts of Parliament passed this year was one to enable Mr. Daniel Henry Woodward, his sons, and their descendants to use the surname and family arms of Mr. Henry Lee Warner, late of Walsingham.
December 3rd 1805
The Duke of Norfolk arrived at Norwich, and visited the Cathedral, St. Andrew’s Hall, and other public buildings.
December 3rd 1805
Thanksgiving day. Collections were made in the churches for the relief of the families of those who fell, and for those who were wounded. At Aylsham, there was a “grand naval procession,” barrels of beer were drunk in the Market Place, and a display of fireworks took place at night.
December 17th 1805
A grand _fête_ was held at the Norwich Assembly Rooms, in honour of Nelson’s victory. Upwards of 450 ladies and gentlemen of the county and city were present at the ball and supper, and the rooms were decorated with transparencies and brilliantly illuminated. The arrangements were carried out by the Norfolk Society, established in 1770.