Mr. T. W. Coke was this month promoted to be lieutenant-colonel of the Western Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry; Mr. Hammond Alpe to be lieutenant-colonel of the Eastern Regiment; and Mr. John Smyth to be lieutenant-colonel of the Midland Regi
The several companies of Norfolk Volunteer Infantry were this month formed into battalions as follow:—1st (Lynn), Lieut.-Col. E. Everard; 2nd (Wells, &c.), Lieut.-Col. Francis Bedingfeld; 3rd (not then appointed); 4th (Cromer, &c.), Lieut.-Col. the Right Hon. Wm. Windham; 5th (Aylsham, &c.), Lieut.-Col. Thomas Hutton (afterwards Sir Thomas Preston, Bart.); 6th (Yarmouth), Lieut.-Col. Wm Gould; 7th (Norwich), Lieut.-Col. Harvey; 8th (Loddon, &c.), Lieut.-Col. John Kerrich; 9th (Diss, &c.), Lieut.-Col. T. J. Woodward; 10th (Swaffham, &c.), Lieut.-Col. R. W. Ottley; 11th (Freebridge Lynn, &c.), Lieut.-Col. A. Hamond. 300 pikes were sent to Norwich for the use of the special constables, who were called out to receive instruction in the pike exer
Flag staffs were placed at Rainham Hall, Holkham Hall, and Houghton Hall. The red flag was only to be hoisted in case of actual invasion or on the appearance of an enemy on the c
The ladies of Lynn inaugurated a movement for making flannel underclothing for the use of the men of the Lynn Volunteers.
January 3rd 1804
The Old Buckenham Volunteers marched into Norwich from Yarmouth, and next day proceeded to their homes. The corps numbered 5 officers and 125 non-commissioned officers and privates.
January 3rd 1804
Capt. Dickens, of the Shropshire Militia, “undertook for a considerable wager to walk from the Angel at Yarmouth to the Angel at Norwich and back again (47 miles) in twelve hours, which he performed with apparent ease in eleven hours and a half.”
January 7th 1804
Died, at Colchester, aged 65, Sir William Gordon, Bart., captain in the West Norfolk Militia, and for many years a resident in Norwich.
January 12th 1804
A meeting was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, as to the depressed state of the corn trade. It was resolved to petition Parliament on the subject. (The prices quoted at this date were:—Wheat, 14s. to 26s.; barley, 9s. 6d. to 10s.; oats, 9s. 6d. to 10s. 6d. per coomb.)
January 13th 1804
The Wymondham troop of Yeomanry Cavalry, commanded by Capt. the Hon. Wm. Wodehouse, attended at Kimberley and “thanked Lady Wodehouse for the colours lately presented by her ladyship, when they had the honour of dining with the family.”
January 14th 1804
The colours of the Norwich Juvenile Regiment of Infantry were presented to them by “a young lady of the city.” (This was a cadet corps, armed with dummy muskets and tin bayonets.)
January 14th 1804
(Advt.) “The Norwich and Yarmouth Volunteer Coach leaves the Bell Inn, Hog Hill, every morning at eight o’clock, to the Wrestlers Inn, Great Yarmouth, and returns at four o’clock.”
January 18th 1804
The City of Norwich Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, Lieut.-Col. Harvey, were presented with colours by the Mayor and Corporation. The colours were consecrated by the Rev. E. S. Thurlow, Prebendary of Norwich, and handed to the colonel by the Mayor (Mr. John Morse); and the King’s and regimental standards were delivered to the ensigns. The artillery, on Castle Hill, fired salutes, and the regiment discharged three volleys in the Market Place in the presence of an immense crowd.
January 22nd 1804
This day (Sunday) John Baker, a private in the Loddon Volunteers, was dismissed, “with every mark of ignominy at the head of the company, for refusing to take the oath of allegiance to his Majesty. His arms and accoutrements, together with the Volunteer clothing, were stripped off on parade, much to the satisfaction of the whole corps.”
January 31st 1804
A baker of Norwich, named Winter, undertook, for a wager of £40, to carry 6s. worth of bread in a basket from Norwich to Yarmouth within six hours. He accomplished his task in 5 hours 35 minutes.
The Corporation of Norwich this month ordered an iron bridge to be erected at St. Michael’s Coslany. It was opened on November 15th.
February 4th 1804
The Cromer Sea Fencibles were practising with canister and grape shot upon the beach, when a ball struck Capt. Tremlett, R.N., on the foot, and shattered the leg of Mr. John Smith, so as to render immediate amputation necessary. A public subscription, amounting to £500, was made for Mr. Smith.
February 21st 1804
Died, at Long Stratton, Mrs. Everitt, a Quaker, who had attained her one hundredth year. Lineally descended from her and living at the time were 77 children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.
February 27th 1804
Colours were presented to the East Dereham troop of Yeomanry Cavalry by Mrs. Smyth, on behalf of the ladies of the town and neighbourhood. The troop, accompanied by Capt. Leeder’s corps of infantry, attended service at the parish church, where the colours were “consecrated by prayer,” and the sermon was preached by the Rev. Geo. Preston, curate. A dinner followed at the King’s Arms Inn.
March 1st 1804
The birthday of the Marquis Townshend was celebrated at Fakenham by a dinner to the Norfolk Rangers.
March 27th 1804
Lieut.-General Sir James Craig inspected the batteries and works from Holt to Cromer. Next day he reviewed, near Norwich, the 24th Regiment of Foot (Col. Macdonald); the detachment of Royal Artillery under Capt. Fyers; and two troops of the 1st Dragoons (Capt. Craven).
The portrait, painted by Hoppner, of the Right Hon. William Windham was this month placed in St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich. It was afterwards engraved in mezzotinto by Reynolds.
April 4th 1804
Arrived at Yarmouth, the Antelope, cruiser brig, Commodore Sir Sidney Smith, and the Prince of Wales cutter, from the Flushing station. Some boats sent out by Sir Sidney made an unsuccessful attempt to cut out an armed brig near the Scaw. The boats were attacked by an armed schooner, and obliged to abandon their enterprise, with the loss of five killed and ten wounded.
April 10th 1804
Died, aged 12, Lord Viscount Bury, eldest son of the Earl of Albemarle.
April 11th 1804
Commodore Sir Sidney Smith arrived at Norwich from Yarmouth, proceeded next day on a tour of the county, and returned to Yarmouth on the 13th.
April 21st 1804
James Airton was publicly whipped in Norwich Market Place for stealing a box coat from the coach-house of Mr. Wm. Harvey.
April 25th 1804
The Scipio of North Shields, Capt. Robinson, coal laden, was attacked by a sloop-rigged privateer four miles from Cromer. A sharp action, lasting three quarters of an hour, ensued, when the privateer sheered off. Capt. Robinson was wounded in the foot by a musket ball, and the vessel, whose sails and rigging were very much cut, was taken by the crew to Yarmouth Roads, where medical assistance was rendered to Capt. Robinson on board the Irresistible.
May 2nd 1804
The gibbet on which the body of Payne (the pirate) was hung in chains, about 23 years previously, upon Yarmouth North Denes, was taken down by order of the Corporation. “A ludicrous circumstance happened the night it was erected. The different tackling being all adjusted previous to putting down the gibbet the day before Payne was hanged, some daring licencious bloods hoisted up a young ass by the hind legs, to the amusement of the spectators next morning, who could not but be surprised to find the gibbet so unexpectedly occupied. In consequence, however, the tackling became so entangled that until a young sailor undertook to climb the gibbet the prisoner could not be suspended.”
May 3rd 1804
The 2nd Battalion Norfolk Volunteer Infantry marched into Yarmouth for a fortnight’s permanent duty.
May 3rd 1804
A party of the Shropshire Militia marched into Norwich from Yarmouth with 84 French and Dutch prisoners, including five officers. The next day they proceeded on their route for Yaxley Barracks, under an escort provided by the 24th Regiment of Foot.
May 3rd 1804
An assembly of the Corporation of Norwich unanimously requested Mr. Charles Harvey, Recorder of the city, to sit for his portrait.
May 5th 1804
(Advt.) “There will be a regular main of cocks fought between the gentlemen of Norwich and the gentlemen of Norfolk, to show 21 mains for ten guineas the battle, and 50 the odd. The three turn outs for ten guineas a battle; to fight on the 23rd and 24th days of May at Mrs. Back’s, at the Bowling Green, Chapel Field. A pair of cocks to be pitted at six o’clock precisely. Feeders, Lamb for Norwich; Cox for Norfolk.”
May 7th 1804
Col. Patteson’s Battalion of Volunteers (with the Riffle Corps attached), commanded by Capt. Cole; and the City of Norwich Regiment of Volunteer Infantry were brigaded under the command of Lieut.-Col. Harvey, and, with the Royal Artillery under Capt. Fyers, were manœuvred at Hellesdon.
May 13th 1804
Died, aged 76, the Rev. John Bruckner. He was invited to Norwich in 1750 as minister of the Walloon congregation, and during many years gave public and private lessons in French.
May 13th 1804
The 10th Battalion Norfolk Volunteer Infantry marched into Lynn for ten days’ permanent duty.
May 14th 1804
The birthday of the Right Hon. Wm Windham was celebrated by a numerous party of his friends at the Angel Inn, Norwich.
May 14th 1804
The 1st Battalion of Norfolk Volunteer Infantry marched to Yarmouth for 14 days’ permanent duty.
May 21st 1804
The 3rd Regiment of Norfolk Yeomanry Cavalry marched into Norwich for five days’ drill, and on the 24th were inspected by Major-General Milner at Hellesdon.
May 22nd 1804
The Blickling and Gunton Riflemen, commanded by the Hon. Lieut.-Col. Harbord, marched into Norwich, and next day proceeded to Yarmouth for 14 days’ permanent duty.
May 24th 1804
A tight rope performer, named Richer, appeared at Norwich Theatre, where his performances were “the theme of general admiration.”
May 25th 1804
A general fast was observed. At Yarmouth, the Shropshire Militia and Volunteers on permanent duty, to the number of nearly 2,500, attended Divine service.
May 26th 1804
The Helena war sloop, of 20 guns, Capt. Losack, was launched from Mr. John Preston’s dockyard at Yarmouth.
May 26th 1804
The North Walsham Light Infantry marched into Yarmouth for 14 days’ permanent duty.
May 26th 1804
The 7th Battalion of the Army of Reserve, to which 500 Norfolk and Suffolk men belonged, volunteered to extend their services and become a regiment of the line.
Major-General Money was appointed to the staff of the Eastern District. The command consisted of 32,000 fully equipped and efficient
Under Mr. Pitt’s Defence Bill the quota for Norfolk was 1,813 men.
June 1st 1804
The City of Norwich Battalion of Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Lieut.-Col. Harvey, began one month’s permanent duty in Norwich. The battalion mustered 500, exclusive of officers.
June 4th 1804
The King’s birthday was celebrated in Norwich. The detachment of Royal Artillery, the 24th Regiment of Foot, and the Norwich and Catton Volunteers, to the total number of 1,700, paraded on the Castle Hill, and fired a _feu de joie_. At Cromer, the Sea Fencibles, under Capt. Tremlett, R.N., three companies of the 4th Battalion Norfolk Volunteers, commanded by Lieut.-Col. George Windham, and the Volunteers of the Cromer battery had a sham fight at that place. Other Volunteer corps in the county held ceremonial parades.
June 7th 1804
The water mills of Mr. Wm. Partridge, of North Walsham, were destroyed by fire.
June 11th 1804
A sham fight, in which all the regular and auxiliary troops stationed in Norwich were engaged, took place at Bramerton. A pontoon bridge, formed of wherries, was made use of in the course of the operations.
June 18th 1804
The Corporation of Norwich granted the Blackfriars’ site in St. Andrew’s to the Court of Guardians for 200 years, the latter body having considered plans for improving the workhouse there for the accommodation of 800 persons.
June 18th 1804
A motion by the Common Council of Norwich, to confer the freedom of the city upon Mr. R. Fellowes, M.P., and Mr. W. Smith, M.P., was, on a division, rejected by the aldermen by ten votes to eight.
June 18th 1804
A motion was made in the Common Council to augment the sum of £100, allowed to the Mayor towards defraying the expenses of the Guild-day festival, but, as the revenue of Norwich did not justify the increase, it was not acceded to by the aldermen. The allowance of £100 was fixed 80 years previously.
June 25th 1804
Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. “Mr. Coke won the sweepstakes, having estimated with more exactness than any of his competitors the weight both of wool and of carcase of the Southdown ewe slain on the occasion.” A drill for “scattering at the same time turnip seed and the dust of pounded oil cakes, believed to be the best adapted manure,” was exhibited.
June 30th 1804
Several “battles” were fought on Yarmouth Denes by the soldiers of the Shropshire Regiment. In an encounter between a private and an officer’s servant, the former received injuries from which he died three hours after, and at the inquest a verdict of manslaughter was returned against his assailant.
Col. Bulwer, of Heydon, was this month appointed Brigadier-General in the Eastern District. On August 8th, he fixed his headquarters in Norwich, and reviewed the several corps of Volunteers in the city, and on September 1st it was announced that the general had been ordered to Liverpool, to take command of the Volunteers in that district.
July 1st 1804
The City of Norwich Battalion of Volunteer Infantry terminated its permanent duty of 30 days. All ranks received the highest commendation of Major-General Milner and Lieut.-Col. Metzner.
July 3rd 1804
The malt kiln, with a granary and dwelling-house, at the new brewery of Messrs. Prentice and Co., King Street, Norwich, was destroyed by fire. The loss amounted to nearly £1,000.
July 5th 1804
The East Harling magistrates fined a farmer 20s., for refusing to send his waggon to assist in taking the baggage of the East Suffolk Militia from Thetford to Downham, after having been summoned for that purpose.
July 6th 1804
Mrs. Bennett, wife of an actor in the Norwich company, gave birth to triplets.
July 6th 1804
A foot race was run by Lord Frederick Bentinck and the Hon. Edward Harbord for the sum of 100 guineas, between the second and third milestone on the Edgeware Road, London. Mr. Harbord won easily.
July 12th 1804
Died, aged 82, at Walsingham Abbey, Mr. Henry Lee Warner, “in whom the gentleman and scholar were happily blended.” His fine estate at Walsingham was devastated by lawless persons, whom, from mistaken leniency, he would not molest. He rose late in the evening, breakfasted at midnight, and dined at four or five o’clock in the morning. He wore a gold-laced hat, and waistcoat, with deep slashworked sleeves and richly-embossed buttons, a deep chitterling of rich yellow lace, and curved-toed shoes, with oblong buckles. Mr. Lee Warner served the office of High Sheriff in 1782, and was lineally descended from John Warner, Bishop of Rochester, whose estates he possessed, as well as those of Sir James Howe, Bart., of Berwick, Wilts., and of Mr. Henry Lee, in Kent.
July 14th 1804
Messrs. Fisher and Scragg’s Company of Comedians concluded a theatrical season at East Dereham. Fisher ultimately assumed the sole management of the company, which for many years performed in its own theatres on the Norfolk and Suffolk Circuit.
July 14th 1804
At the Norwich Court of Mayoralty, Mr. Edward Manning, citizen and brazier, was elected Sheriff, but was discharged from office on paying the statutory fine of £80. The letter was afterwards sent to Mr. James Pastons, citizen and grocer, and to Mr. John Howard, citizen and baker, who were also excused from serving on both paying the same fine. The letter was then sent to Mr. James Watts, citizen and butcher, who received his discharge on payment of the fine. It was next sent to Mr. Cotton Wright, citizen and coomber, who verbally replied that “he had neither ate nor drank at the expense of the Corporation, and he should neither pay the fine nor serve the office.” Mr. Wright paid the fine, but denied that he had sent the message above quoted. Eventually Mr. John Wright, citizen and linen draper, accepted office.
July 16th 1804
The Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry terminated a fortnight’s garrison duty there.
July 21st 1804
“The Norwich and Yarmouth water frolics last week offered the utmost gratification to lovers of aquatic exercises. Nearly twenty boats proceeded from Sandling’s Ferry to Postwick Grove and the Wood’s End, and, if the day proved unfavourable, mirth and good humour prevailed.” The Mayor of Yarmouth and several members of the Corporation proceeded in a wherry, “purposely fitted up and plentifully stored,” over Breydon. Several boats started for a silver cup, which was won by Mr. Lovell’s craft.
July 21st 1804
A “farewell dejeune” was given at Cromer by Brigadier-General Sherbrooke, on his removal from the Holt district. Breakfast was served at the New Inn, and was attended, amongst others, by Col. and Mrs. Macdonald, Sir Jacob and Lady Astley, and Sir Edward and Lady Berry. Then the company adjourned to a barn, where dancing was kept up till five o’clock in the afternoon.
July 23rd 1804
A silver vase, which cost upwards of £700, was presented by Mr. Dusgate, in the name of the farmers of Norfolk, to Mr. T. W. Coke, “as a token of their esteem, for the liberality of his conduct as a landlord, and of their gratitude for the benefit of his example as a practical farmer and most valuable member of society.”
July 24th 1804
The Mayor and magistrates of Norwich resolved to present a petition against the Corn Regulation Bill, which, however, was passed and received the Royal assent. The Act was framed to govern the export and import of England and Scotland by one general average of each country, taking the aggregate average of the twelve maritime districts of England and four of Scotland as the rule. Exportation was prohibited when wheat was above 54s. and barley 31s. per quarter. When wheat was at or under 48s. a five shilling bounty was to be given per quarter on exportation, and when barley was at or under 28s., a bounty of 2s. 6d. a quarter. A duty of from 6d. to 2s. 6d. was to be imposed on foreign corn imported if the price was as high as 66s. or 63s.
July 25th 1804
The East and West Regiments of Norfolk Militia marched from Colchester Barracks to Coxheath Camp, in Kent, which was reached on the 27th.
July 28th 1804
A general meeting of Lieutenancy was held at the Shirehall, Norwich, to carry into execution an Act “for establishing and maintaining a permanent additional force for the defence of the realm, and to provide for augmenting his Majesty’s regular forces, and for the gradual reduction of the Militia of England.”
July 30th 1804
At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Norwich, before Lord Chief Justice Mansfield, a prisoner, named John Heath, was charged with an offence committed at Great Melton, “but it being proved that the prisoner was both deaf and dumb by the visitation of God, the prosecution was stopped, but he was ordered to remain till the next Assizes.” (There is no further record of the case.)
Night signals were established along the coast, and special constables sworn in at Yarmouth, Lynn, and elsew
At the suggestion of Major-General Money, two companies of Sharpshooters were raised, and, with a company of Cavalry Pioneers, were attached to the East Norfolk Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry.
August 3rd 1804
A violent thunderstorm occurred. Several horses were killed by lightning in different parts of the county; mills and barns were damaged, and trees torn up by the roots.
August 4th 1804
At the Norfolk and Norwich Assizes, the action, Palmer _v._ James and William Bloomfield, was tried. It was an action for trespass, and the plaintiff, a miller at Elsing, claimed £2,000 damages because the defendants, occupiers of land at Bylaugh, had cut away a large part of the bank of the river Wensum, whereby a great quantity of water escaped from the stream into an old river or drain, and he was deprived of its service for the working of his mill. The hearing lasted ten hours, and Lord Chief Justice Mansfield, who left the court at eleven p.m., received the jury at his lodgings, when they returned a verdict for the defendants. In the Court of Common Pleas, on November 12th, rule _nisi_ was taken for a new trial, but there is no further record of the case.
August 9th 1804
Died, aged 83, the Rev. Robert Potter, M.A., Prebendary of Norwich Cathedral, vicar of Lowestoft, and a translator of Æschylus and other writers of Greek tragedy.
August 13th 1804
The troops in the Eastern district received orders to hold themselves in readiness to take the field at the shortest notice.
August 18th 1804
The death was recorded, at Bungay, of Mr. Thomas Miller, who was born at Norwich on August 14th, 1731. He was an extensive collector of books and antiquities, and in 1795 issued the “Miller half-penny,” of which only twenty-three pieces were struck off.
August 22nd 1804
A threshing machine on an entirely new principle, invented by a Devonshire engineer, named Ball, was tested at Norwich. At Hethersett, on December 6th, in competition with another machine, built by John Brown, a Norwich mechanic, it thrashed in 50 minutes 40 seconds about 29½ coombs of barley, Brown’s machine breaking down. Mutual recriminations and threats of legal proceedings followed, but without result.
Major-General Milner was appointed to the charge of the Volunteer Infantry of Norfolk, which were inspected by him during the month.
September 1st 1804
What was considered to be a big bag of partridges was killed at Stiffkey by Lord James Townshend and Major Loftus, namely, 43 brace. At Cromer, Major Windham killed 25 brace.
September 4th 1804
The Musquito brig, of 18 guns, was launched from Mr. John Preston’s yard at Yarmouth.
September 6th 1804
The Cygnet sloop of war, of 18 guns, was launched from Mr. Nathaniel Palmer’s yard at Yarmouth.
September 13th 1804
Excessive heat prevailed. On this day 80 degrees Fahr. was recorded.
September 15th 1804
“The Ipswich Mail now goes every day from the King’s Head Inn, Market Place, Norwich, to the Swan with two Necks, Lad Lane; and the Newmarket Mail to the Golden Cross, Charing Cross, daily. The mails arrive in London every morning at seven o’clock.”
September 24th 1804
The East Norfolk Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry, with Capt. C. Brown’s Company of Cavalry Pioneers, and Capt. Pillan’s Company of Sharpshooters, encamped on Hellesdon Field, under the command of Major-General Money. A sham fight, in which were engaged the Norwich Volunteer Infantry, under Col. Harvey, the Norwich Rifles, and the Artillery detachment, under Capt. Fyers, followed.
October 6th 1804
Died, aged 60, Sir Wm. Kemp, Bart., of Briston. “He was riding on a hobby, from which he fell and expired immediately.”
October 13th 1804
A report was published by Messrs. Kent and Crease, suggesting improvements to Wells harbour at the estimated cost of £30,000.
October 17th 1804
Died, in St. Augustine’s, Norwich, Mr. John Thompson, aged 70. “He established himself the heir-at-law of the late John Tilyard, whose property had long been the subject of litigation, by obtaining a verdict in his favour at the summer Assizes for this county in 1792, whereby he became entitled to a valuable estate at Oby.”
October 20th 1804
A musical farce, entitled “Dash, or who but he?” written by Mr. F. Lathom, of Norwich, was produced at Drury Lane. It was first performed at Norwich Theatre under the title of “Holiday Time, or the School Boy’s Frolic.”
October 26th 1804
Died, aged 83, the Rev. John Peele, 38 years Upper Minister of St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich. He was succeeded by the Rev. C J. Chapman.
October 26th 1804
Races were held at Blickling Park. Events: A subscription purse for horses bred in Norfolk, the best of three one mile, heats; a subscription purse of £50, for the best of three two mile heats. Silver cup for the best of three two mile heats. A purse of five guineas for ponies, for the best of three two mile heats.
October 27th 1804
(Advt.) “The public are respectfully informed that the first number of a new weekly newspaper, entitled the ‘Yarmouth Herald, or Norfolk, Suffolk, and Essex Advertiser,’ will be published on Saturday, November 10th, 1804, and sold by James Black, bookseller, Great Yarmouth.”
October 27th 1804
“Mrs. Tuthill, wife of Mr. John Tuthill, of Heigham, is the fortunate holder of a 16th of the £10,000 prize.”
October 28th 1804
Died, at Ipswich, Lord Viscount Chedworth. His estate was valued at £500,000, of which sum he bequeathed £180,000 in legacies to various persons, some of whom were unknown to him personally. Mr. Thomas Penrice, of Yarmouth, received £20,000 legacy, and was also residuary legatee, by which he came into a property of at least £300,000. His lordship left £40,000 to his solicitor, and large amounts to actors and actresses in Norwich and London. A caveat was entered by the next of kin, and on July 5th, 1805, an action to contest the validity of the will was tried before Lord Ellenborough in the Court of King’s Bench. The jury confirmed the will, and gave a verdict accordingly. An application for a new trial was refused.
October 31st 1804
At a public meeting at Cromer it was resolved to establish a lifeboat, and upwards of £500 was subscribed for the purpose.
November 10th 1804
A one hundred yards race took place in Gunton Park between the Hon. Edward Harbord and a well-known runner, named Wade, of Aylsham. Mr. Harbord won by about four yards.
November 11th 1804
“In pulling down the old workhouse in the Lower Close, Norwich, to improve the entrance to the Deanery, some very curious remains of an ancient Saxon Gothic building were discovered. The arches and capitals had been richly gilt and ornamented. The style of architecture appeared to be that in use about the reign of King Stephen.”
November 14th 1804
Died, at Norton, near Lincoln, aged 74, the Right Hon. George, Earl of Buckinghamshire, Baron Hobart, of Blickling, in Norfolk. He was succeeded in his title and estates by the Right Hon. Lord Hobart, formerly his Majesty’s Principal Secretary of State for the Department of War and the Colonies.
November 16th 1804
The Rev. J. Bowman was elected Under Minister at St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich, in succession to the Rev. C. J. Chapman.
November 22nd 1804
The Romney, of 50 guns, which sailed from Yarmouth Roads on the 18th, with bullocks and vegetables for the blockading fleet off the Texel, was lost in a gale on the South Haak Sand. All the officers and crew saved themselves on rafts, but were made prisoners by the Dutch. The officers were liberated on their parole by the Dutch Admiral Kikkert.
November 24th 1804
The night coach from Norwich to Yarmouth was left near the King’s Arms, Burgh, in charge of a lad, when the horses broke away and galloped in the direction of Yarmouth. A Norwich tradesman, who was an inside passenger, climbed upon the box, succeeded in reaching the reins, which had become entangled upon the splinter bar, and stopped the animals.
November 26th 1804
Ninety-eight French prisoners, the crew of a large French privateer, of 18 guns, commanded by the noted Blackman, and captured by Capt. Hancock, of the Cruiser sloop, marched into Norwich, and next morning proceeded, under a guard of Fifeshire Militia, for Norman Cross Barracks. The Corporation of Yarmouth and the merchants of the port voted their thanks to Capt. Hancock and his officers for their exertions in capturing Blackman, who had committed great depredations. Blackman himself was shipped to Chatham in the Monmouth. His vessel, La Contre-Amiral Magon, had sustained but trifling damage, and while she was lying at Mr. Palmer’s dock at Yarmouth, £2,500 was offered for her for privateering purposes.
November 27th 1804
David Graham was convicted, before the Rev. J. Oldershaw, for driving cattle on Sunday at Harleston, and under the Act of Charles I. paid a penalty of 20s.
November 30th 1804
It was reported at the annual meeting of the Society of Universal Good Will, at Norwich, that the number of persons relieved by it since its establishment was 1,940. An appeal was made for public support.
December 3rd 1804
“The inhabitants of Loddon have entered into a subscription for the purpose of defraying the expense of lighting the town.”
December 4th 1804
Signor Belzoni from Sadler’s Wells, by permission of the Mayor, gave a performance in the assembly room at the Maid’s Head Inn, Norwich. It was described as “a grand hydraulic exhibition, called Fire and Water, along with his phantasmagoria and wonderful feats of strength performed by the Patagonian Samson, who will carry on his head, arms, and body from five to ten men with the greatest ease.” This was the famous Belzoni, the traveller and discoverer of Egyptian antiquities, whose book entitled, “Narrative of the Operations and recent Discoveries in the Pyramids, Temples, Tombs, and Cities of Egypt and Nubia,” obtained a wide circulation.
December 10th 1804
Thetford coursing meeting commenced. It lasted four days.