The Foxearth and District Local History Society
1802 Norfolk Chronicle newspaper Selections

January 2nd 1802

“Mr. W. E. Bulwer, of Heydon, has resolved to divide all his farms into 200 acres, as they come out of lease. They are worthy the attention of industrious men wanting situations.”

January 4th 1802

The Duke of Bedford, Lord Paget, and Lord John Thynne, with four other gentlemen, on a visit to Lord Cholmondeley at Houghton, “had the greatest day’s sport ever known in Norfolk. They killed altogether 165 hares, 42 pheasants, 5 rabbits, 2 woodcock, and 2 partridges, and this notwithstanding that the woods had been beat five times this season.”

January 9th 1802

A reduction of 3s. 6d. in the pound poor-rates announced. The mulct was fixed at 7s. in the pound. “For the last 30 years there have not been so few paupers in the two workhouses, principally owing to the manufacturers of Norwich having such large orders to execute that hands are actually wanted.”

January 9th 1802

The non-commissioned officers and privates of the Blofield and South Walsham troop of Yeomanry Cavalry offered to continue their services to the Government, and “thanked the officers for the unremitting and polite attention paid to them since the establishment in 1794.” Other troops of Yeomanry in the county made similar offers.

January 13th 1802

“Died lately at Bristol Hot Wells, where she had gone for the recovery of her health, the Countess of Leicester.”

January 13th 1802

“Died last week Mr. William Websdale. This venerable man lived in three centuries, and expired at the advanced age of 102 years.”

January 13th 1802

The following Coach advertisements were published on this date:— “Royal Lynn Mail Coach sets out daily from the Duke’s Head Inn, Lynn, by way of Brandon, Barton Mills, Newmarket, Bournbridge, and Epping, to the White Horse, in Fetter Lane, whence it returns every day at three o’clock.” “The Fakenham and Swaffham Light Post Coach sets out daily from the Red Lion, in Fakenham, at two o’clock, and returns from London as above.” “The Lord Nelson Coach, from Lynn to Norwich in seven hours. From the Globe, Lynn, to the King’s Head, Norwich, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, returning Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at seven o’clock each morning.” “The Lynn and Norwich Machine, from the Crown Tavern, Lynn, to the White Swan, Norwich. Runs three times a week. Insides, 12s.; outsides, 7s.”

January 14th 1802

Mr. William Earle Bulwer installed Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons at the White Swan, St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich.

January 15th 1802

The thermometer “very near to 0 (32 degrees below freezing point).”

January 16th 1802

A fine grey eagle was taken alive in a trap upon the estate of Lord Montrath, at Weeting. It measured from the extremity of each wing 7 feet 8 inches, and from the beak to the tail nearly four feet.

February 15th 1802

The Norwich Court of Guardians considered the question of the erection of a new workhouse. The average number of poor maintained in the two workhouses during the previous 18 years had been 1,282. It was recommended that one building be erected to accommodate 1,300, the money to be borrowed on shares of £100 each, bearing interest, and to be paid off by lot, so that the whole debt, with interest thereon, would be discharged in 20 years. A Bill was brought before Parliament and received the Royal assent on May 24th, and a site for the building was purchased near “the opening to Chapel Field.” On December 7th, in consequence of observations made by Mr. Alderman Rigby on the subject of outdoor relief, the question was deferred until the committee had informed the Court whether “these allowances may not be so extended without any diminution of the comforts of the poor as to render unnecessary the building of such a workhouse as has hitherto been proposed.” The scheme for the erection of the workhouse was ultimately abandoned.

February 21st 1802

Died, Mr. Henry Skipper, dyer, St. Peter Hungate, Norwich. “He was in his time a famous pugilist, and fought several pitched battles with Algar, Henry, and others.”

March 16th 1802

Died, at his house in Greville Street, Hatton Garden, London, in the 28th year of his age, Thomas Archibald Murray, M.D., one of the physicians of the public dispensary in Carey Street, and of the House of Recovery for Infectious Diseases, an institution which, in a great measure, owed its establishment to Dr. Murray’s exertions. He was the youngest son of Dr. John Murray, founder of the Scots Society in Norwich, who died September 26th, 1792.

March 20th 1802

“Died, lately, at Strawberry Hill, near Collumpton, Devonshire, aged 78, the Earl of Montrath, of Weeting Hall. The Earldom is extinct. His lordship left a legacy of £2,000 to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. His invariable dread of small-pox occasioned his lordship to lead absolutely the life of a recluse. His terror was so great that he had five houses between his seat at Weeting and his house in Devonshire, to prevent the chance of infection, and at these houses small establishments were kept up, as he dared not sleep in an inn.”

March 24th 1802

At the Norfolk Assizes, held at Thetford, the Grand Jury made a presentment, to the effect that, as hay and corn were considerably reduced in price, publicans and posting-masters might, without injury to themselves, decrease their charges. It was resolved “That those publicans and posting-masters who have already reduced their charges are deserving approbation and encouragement.” In an advertisement published on April 24th the post-masters stated that from the heavy duties imposed upon carriages, the first expense of chaises and their repair, the increased price of horses and of smith’s work, they could not, without great injury to themselves and their families, make any abatement in the charge of fifteen pence (which included the payment of a duty of 3d.) per mile, they having been considerable losers during the previous two years.

March 27th 1802

Died, at Melton Constable, Sir Edward Astley, Bart., who represented Norfolk in four successive Parliaments. He was succeeded in the title and estates by Sir J. H. Astley, his only surviving son by his first wife, the eldest sister of John Lord Delaval, of Seaton Delaval, Northumberland.

March 30th 1802

News was received of the Definite Treaty of Peace having been signed at Amiens, on March 27th, by the Marquis Cornwallis and Buonaparte. The Norwich Loyal Military Associations assembled at St. Andrew’s Hall. “Instead of field-pieces and ammunition waggons the martial divisions were preceded in their march from the Hall to the Market Place by two brewers’ drays, laden with six barrels of Norwich porter, which were drunk with much joy.”

April 10th 1802

(Advt.) “To Seafaring Men. A Double Caule to be sold. For price and particulars enquire of the Printers.”

April 10th 1802

“Within the last three months nearly 300 paupers have been discharged from the two workhouses, which at the present time do not contain more than 550 persons, the smallest number ever remembered. The next poor-rate, in consequence, will not exceed 4s. 3d. in the pound in Norwich.”

April 10th 1802

“It appears from the returns of assessment of income that Norfolk and Norwich last year contributed £111,513 17s. 1d., of which sum £18,801 0s. 3¼d. was paid by persons possessing incomes under £200 a year, and £92,712 16s. 9¾d. by persons of superior income.”

April 17th 1802

(Advt.) “Bear Baiting. Henry Gerrard respectfully informs the public that there will be a Bear Baiting in a meadow belonging to the Ferry Farm House, Great Yarmouth, on Monday next, the 19th inst., in the afternoon. Admission 1s.; 6d. to be returned in liquor.” (The baiting was prevented by the action of the county justices.)

April 17th 1802

William Dunnett, for horse stealing, and John Saunders, for stealing a cow, were executed at Thetford.

April 24th 1802

The East and West Regiments of Norfolk Militia disembodied at Yarmouth and Dereham. The several corps of Yeomanry Cavalry and Volunteer Infantry, on being disbanded, were thanked by the Government for their services.

April 24th 1802

“The whole of the French and Dutch prisoners confined in Yaxley Barracks were last week put on board different vessels in Lynn harbour, from whence they proceeded to their respective countries.”

April 26th 1802

Died, at Bath, aged 78, the Rev. Edmund Nelson, father of Lord Nelson. He was rector of Burnham Thorpe, to which he was presented in 1755 by Lord Walpole.

April 27th 1802

To commemorate the opening of the new organ, “built by the celebrated Mr. England, of London,” the oratorio, “The Messiah,” was performed at St. George Colegate Church, Norwich, which was “lighted up and matted for the occasion.” The organ was opened by Mr. Beckwith, who also conducted the band. Three shillings was charged for admission to the church.

May 3rd 1802

The Corporation of Norwich voted an address to his Majesty the King on the acquisition of Peace. The address was presented to his Majesty at a Levée at St. James’s Palace, on May 21st, by Mr. Jeremiah Ives, jun., Mayor; Sir Roger Kerrison, Mayor-Elect; and Mr. William Foster, jun.

May 4th 1802

Peace was proclaimed by the Mayor and Corporation, who went in procession through the streets of Norwich. Major Patteson’s corps of Volunteers and the several parochial military associations, after firing volleys in the Market Place, marched to the residence of the Mayor-Elect, where they deposited their muskets and regimental colours. Officers and men afterwards repaired to Neeche’s Gardens, where they dined. In the evening there was a general illumination. The day was similarly observed at Yarmouth.

May 10th 1802

A _fête_ was held in Reffley Wood, near Lynn. A “fine Norfolk sheep” was roasted for the feast, presided over by Sir Martin ffolkes.

May 13th 1802

Died, aged 85, Mrs. Beaton, of St. John Maddermarket, Norwich. “She was a native of Wales, and commonly called here ‘The Freemason,’ from the circumstance of her having contrived to conceal herself one evening in the wainscoting of the lodge-room, where she learnt that secret, the knowledge of which thousands of her sex in vain attempted to arrive at. She was a very singular old woman, and, as a proof of it, the secret died with her.”

May 14th 1802

A heavy fall of snow, which in many places lay more than an inch thick upon the ground. On the 15th there was a severe frost, and snow fell for two hours. At Langley and other places it was between three and four inches in depth.

May 22nd 1802

Between one and two o’clock in the morning the dwelling-house of the Rev. Mr. Sykes, of Guestwick, was burglariously entered by two men. “They presented themselves at Mr. and Mrs. Sykes’ bedside. Their faces were blackened, and one of them had on a slip of linen, and the other a woman’s checked bed-gown. They each had a cudgel and a candle in their hands. They said, ‘We have pistols; your money or your lives.’ One of them remained by the bedside, while the other plundered the drawers. Then they departed, carrying away some money and a watch.”

May 24th 1802

The Duke of Cambridge sailed from Yarmouth in the Amphion frigate for Hanover, of which kingdom he was appointed Regent.

May 24th 1802

Died, aged 90, Mrs. Ann Fuller, of Raveningham. “Her remains were interred at the parish of Toft Monks. The pall was supported by six grandchildren, and the funeral attended by children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren in her own lineal descent to the number of 47.”

May 29th 1802

At a county meeting an address to his Majesty on the Peace was moved by the Hon. Col. Wodehouse, seconded by the Hon. Col. Harbord, and unanimously adopted. The address was presented to the King by Mr. Robert Wilson, High Sheriff.

May 31st 1802

A fire occurred at Swanton paper mill, a great part of which was destroyed, with all the paper. The damage was estimated at £4,000.

June 1st 1802

This day was ordered to be observed as one of general thanksgiving for the Restoration of Peace. The Mayor and Corporation of Norwich attended the Cathedral, and the appointed service was performed at all parish churches. At Lynn, the inhabitants, instead of having an illumination, collected £300, which was distributed amongst the poor.

June 21st 1802

Holkham Sheep Shearing commenced. A new thrashing machine was exhibited. An improved drill for turnip sowing was also shown. “From the same barrel seed and oilcake manure are delivered into one tube, through which it is deposited in the earth by the same coulters.”

June 22nd 1802

Guild Day at Norwich. The Mayor, Sir Roger Kerrison, went to the Cathedral “in a most elegant new chariot, the colour of royal blue; the coachman and the three footmen behind had handsome new liveries, with gold-laced cocked hats and gold-headed canes.” His worship “wore a full dress coat and embroidered waistcoat.” At the Guild feast, in St. Andrew’s Hall, 800 guests were present; and at the ball given in the evening, at Chapel Field House, Mr. T. A. Kerrison and Miss Chad opened the dancing for the 450 guests.

June 26th 1802

(Advt.) “On Wednesday, the 30th inst., a main of cocks will be fought at Aylsham, between the gentlemen of Suffolk and the gentlemen of Norfolk, for ten guineas a battle and twenty the odd. Feeder for Suffolk, Nath. Rowen; ditto for Norfolk, Henry Seaman.”

July 1802

Mr. John Hookham Frere, of Roydon, was this month appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Court of Madrid.

July 2nd 1802

Dibden gave his entertainment, “Sans Souci,” at the Theatre Royal, Norwich. The performance was repeated on the succeeding evening.

July 5th 1802

Parliament having been dissolved on June 29th, the election of members for the city of Norwich took place on this day. The candidates were the Right Hon. Wm. Windham, of Felbrigg, and Mr. John Frere, of Roydon; Mr. Robert Fellowes, of Shottesham, and Mr. William Smith. At the close of the poll the numbers were:—Fellowes, 1,532; Smith, 1,439; Windham, 1,356; Frere, 1,328. There was great rioting. The chairing took place on the day following the declaration of the poll.

July 12th 1802

After the lapse of 34 years, a contested election took place for the county of Norfolk. The poll opened on the 12th, and continued for eight days. The result was declared as follows:—Mr. Thomas Wm. Coke, 4,317; Sir Jacob Henry Astley, 3,612; the Hon. Col. Wodehouse, 3,517. A scrutiny was demanded by the friends of the latter and granted. It commenced on July 30th, and continued till August 28th, when Col. Wodehouse’s counsel retired from the case, and Sir J. H. Astley and Mr. Coke were declared duly elected. The expenses of the contest were estimated at £35,000, and the amount spent by the successful candidates to bring distant voters to the poll was enormous.

August 12th 1802

This year’s anniversary service at the Cathedral, in aid of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, realised £165 3s. 4¾d. With the proceeds of the dinner at the Maid’s Head Inn, the total amount handed to the institution was £204 17s. 8¾d.

August 14th 1802

“We hear from Brussels that a party of gentlemen from Lynn have reached that city in the Hebe pleasure yacht. This being the first vessel that ever displayed the British flag in Brussels the quay of the port has been crowded with spectators looking at her.”

August 17th 1802

A duel was fought on Mousehold Heath, Norwich, by Mr. Robert Alderson, a well-known barrister, and Mr. Grigby. The latter conceived that he had been unfairly treated in cross-examination by Mr. Alderson at the Suffolk Assizes, and, refusing to accept his explanation, sent him a challenge. “Mr. Alderson was attended to the field by Mr. Mackintosh, and Mr. Grigby by Mr. Turner. Two shots were exchanged, with no effect than that of Mr. Grigby’s first ball passing through the skirts of Mr. Alderson’s coat. A cordial reconciliation was afterwards effected.”

August 28th 1802

William Rix was executed on Castle Hill, Norwich, for sheep stealing.

September 5th 1802

The organ of the Octagon Chapel, Norwich, was opened by Mr. Beckwith. The instrument was built by Crotch.

October 4th 1802

A grand Musical Festival was held in Norwich, under the direction of Messrs. Beckwith and Sharp, and Mr. Ashley, of London, Mrs. Billington, Mr. Bartleman, and Mr. Braham were the principal _artistes_. The last performance was given on the 7th.

October 8th 1802

The Princess of Wales concluded a visit to the Marquis and Marchioness Townshend at Rainham, and returned to Blackheath.

October 13th 1802

Mr. Alderman Francis Columbine resigned his seat. Owing to his pecuniary distress, the Corporation of Norwich granted to him and his daughter an annuity of £100.

October 14th 1802

Races were held at Blickling Park. Lady Caroline Harbord gave a ball and supper, attended by upwards of 100 guests from Aylsham and the neighbourhood.

October 18th 1802

Three gentlemen, for a considerable wager, undertook to walk blindfolded from Post Office Court to the great doors of St. Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich, in 15 minutes. “Two of them performed it in less than the given time, much to the satisfaction of the spectators, but the other unfortunate gentleman bent his course rapidly for the Upper Market, and found himself at the expiration of the time at the great doors of St. Andrew’s Hall.”

October 21st 1802

Mr. Edward Rigby was elected Alderman of the Great Northern Ward, in room of Mr. Francis Columbine, after a severe contest lasting two days. His opponent was Mr. Jonathan Davey.

October 23rd 1802

Died, at Vienna, aged 80, General Jerningham, nephew of Sir George Jerningham, Bart., of Costessey. He was upwards of 50 years in the Imperial service, and was Chamberlin to the Empress Maria Theresa and to the Emperors Joseph, Leopold, and Francis.

November 8th 1802

Swaffham coursing meeting commenced.

November 25th 1802

Mr. Welby, of Blickling, undertook, for a bet of 50 guineas, to ride his mare 90 miles on the Aylsham road in ten hours, all paces. “She performed the first 80 miles in 8 hours 25 minutes, and had an hour and thirty-five minutes to run the last ten miles, but was unable to accomplish it, to the great disappointment of those who bet three and four to one that the mare performed the journey.”